Poll: Which Outlander Dish Will You Refuse to Eat?

Beyond the Books

Here’s the situation:

You are at the hands of Black Jack Randall.  He has agreed to release you, but first you must consume a selection of some of the more challenging foods from the Outlander series.  Because he is a gentleman (whatever), he only demands that you eat 3 out of the 4 foods listed below.

So, the question in this game of 18th Century Fear Factor is, which of the foods listed below do you think is MORE disgusting than the others?

Which Outlander dish will you refuse to eat?

[polldaddy poll=5673373]

Results will be up on Thursday, Dec 1.

(If you think I’ve missed the most disgusting dish of all, let me know in the comments…)

1. Kathy C
    November 24, 2011 at 8:04 am

I don’t think I could eat the baby eels Claire ate at Jared’s home in Paris. The idea of it makes me shiver in an unpleasant way. (Dragonfly in Amber, Chapter 7)

• Laura
      November 24, 2011 at 8:39 am

That’s the one I was thinking of, too.

November 24, 2011 at 9:00 am

Eels seem to be quite popular fare throughout Diana’s books (at least in Scotland), but I agree with you, Kathy, the thought of baby eels is particularly unappetizing!

• Norma R
      March 16, 2016 at 8:21 am

sounds bad. I’ve never eaten eels and don’t want to do it.

2. deniz
    November 24, 2011 at 8:24 am

I’m trying to think of another disgusting dish… the poison mushrooms come to mind!
    I would mind the taste of the barley, and I’m sure Claire took care with the sausages… Although the thought of crunching baby nightingales is really gross.
    What about when poor Jamie had to eat grass?

Or, oh! the prisoners at Ardsmuir! They caught and ate the rats in their cells!

November 24, 2011 at 8:52 am

Aah, yes, the poison mushrooms…I didn’t include those because they seemed to result in certain death. Hopefully none of us would eat those! 😉

3. deniz
    November 24, 2011 at 8:25 am

By the way, what a gorgeous photo that is up there, of the books and the pocket watch.

November 24, 2011 at 9:04 am

Thanks Deniz! I’m happy with how that shot turned out. The pocket watch belonged to my grandpa.

4. Michelle Bennetts Heumann
    November 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

I….can’t…vote…too…much…ick! Ahhhh!!! 😛

5. Louise
    November 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

The very thought of crunching bird bones makes me feel very ill! I remember the first time I read it feeling great sympathy for Claire. As a vegetarian most of the meat dishes don’t really appeal to me but if I had to I wouldn’t have a problem eating Black Pudding (Blood Sausage) in fact my husband eats it quite often and loves it!

6. Kea
    November 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm

The thought of eating black pudding in real life totally grosses me out, but DG makes it sound SO delicious the way claire makes it. Its actually one of my favourite sensory detail scenes in the books.

7. Kimberlee
    November 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I was also thinking of the eels that Claire ate while she was pregnant with Faith. I have to add the loaf of bread and scraps that were dropped into the filth in the thieves hole while she was imprisioned for being a witch with Geilie Duncan.

November 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I forgot about the slops — you know, I think I’m more likely to eat sketchy headcheese than whatever it was that went splat! in the dark…

8. MichelleKCanada (@AnotherLookBook)
    November 30, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Oh man. Claire was pregnant when the king ate the nest of baby birds and I gagged right along with her. OMG even now I am gagging.
    Great poll.