Jenny’s Everyday Bread from An Echo in the Bone

Jenny’s Everyday Bread from An Echo in the Bone

SHE WAS SMALLER than I had remembered, and thinner, her hair with a little more gray in it though still darkly vibrant — but the deep-blue-cat-eyes were just the same, as was the natural air of command she shared with her brother.

“Leave the horses,” she said briskly, wiping her eyes on the corner of her apron. “I’ll have one o’ the lads take care of them. Ye’ll be frozen and starving — take off your things and come into the parlor.” She glanced at me, with a brief look of curiosity and something else I couldn’t interpret — but didn’t met my eyes directly or say more than “Come,” as she led the way to the parlor.

The house smelled familiar but strange, steeped in peat smoke and the scent of cooking; someone had just baked bread, and the yeasty smell floated down the hall from the kitchen. The hall itself was nearly as cold as the outdoors; all the rooms had their doors closed tight to keep in the heat from their fires, and a welcome wave of warmth eddied out when she opened the door to the parlor, turning to pull Ian in first.

Diana Gabaldon, An Echo in the Bone, Chapter 76

Wheat was an expensive import into the Highlands in the 18th Century, and only relatively successful estates, such as Lallybroch (somewhat recovered from the scourge of the English after Culloden), would have been able to afford it. Even so, there’s not a chance that a woman as practical as Jenny would have used the finest French-milled flour in her everyday baking.

And so, our unexpected home comers are welcomed with hearty slices of stone-ground wholemeal bread slathered in butter and jam.

coarsely-ground-oats

This recipe is adapted from a whole-wheat loaf, in The Bread Baker’s Apprentice by Peter Reinhart.  I made some changes to the methods and ingredients, and added oats, to make this 100% Jenny’s bread. The recipe uses a pre-ferment, a wet dough made the night before, that adds flavour and lift to whole-grain loaves that would otherwise be dense and heavy tasting.

The pre-ferment is an easier, modern mimic of the more authentic yeast culture (think sourdough) that Jenny would have kept alive with flour and water in her kitchen. We’re using instant yeast from the grocery store, but Jenny’s sole source of baking yeast would have been Lallybroch’s brew house. The barm, or froth, was scraped from the surface of fermenting beer and used to leaven the household’s bread.

jennys-wholemeal-dough

Making bread this way will take you back to a simpler, slower time. In today’s world of instant gratification, anything that takes more than a day can seem like a long time. But there really isn’t a lot of active work involved — most of the time is spent waiting for the dough to rise. Pick a day when you’re around the house and, to make more from the same amount of work, double the recipe. Four loaves of bread lasts us a couple of weeks — I usually bake one loaf immediately, refrigerate another and then freeze the other two for the following week.

Once the dough is split, shaped and in the pan, wrap the loaves you want to save for later tightly with plastic wrap. These loaves will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days — remove them from the fridge about 4 hours before baking to give the dough time to rise. Notice the flavour in a dough that’s been fermenting in the fridge for a couple of days — you can really taste the grains!

Well wrapped loaves will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Defrost on the counter overnight, then unwrap and bake the risen dough off in the morning.

2nd-rise-in-the-pan

As for for the metric equivalents, I took a leap of faith and used (mostly) weight instead of volume this week. Weighing ingredients is a much more accurate way to ensure baking success. If you have an electronic scale, consider using it for this recipe. (Most of them have a metric option.)

One last thing: whole wheat flour takes a lot of kneading to develop the gluten, which is what reacts with the yeast and causes the dough to rise. A LOT OF KNEADING. If you have one, use your stand mixer as described in the New School Tips below the recipe — especially if you double the recipe — most of us simply don’t have the wiry upper-body strength that Jenny and the other women of her time developed by doing everything by hand…everyday.

jam-bread

Jenny’s Everyday Bread

Yield: (2) 1½ lb loaves

A delicious, welcoming wholemeal loaf made with organic, stone-ground, whole-wheat flour and oats — just the way Jenny would have made hers. Start the pre-ferment the evening before you plan to make the bread.

Pre-Ferment

• Stone-Ground Whole-Wheat Flour – 1½ Cups (255 g)
  • Instant Yeast – ¼ tsp (2 ml)
  • Milk, room temp – 1 ¼ Cups (285 g)

Soaker

• Rolled Oats – 1 Cup (120 g)
  • Water, room temp – 1 Cup (225 g)

Dough

• Stone-Ground Whole-Wheat Flour – 2 Cups (340 g)
  • Instant Yeast – 1¼ tsp (7 ml)
  • Salt – 1½ tsp (8 ml)
  • Honey – 2 Tble (45 g)
  • Egg – 1 large
  • Butter – to grease the bowl/pans and brush the loaves before baking.

Make the pre-ferment the night before you make the bread: stir the flour and yeast together, then stir in the milk until just combined. Cover with a plate and set aside on the counter for 2 hours. Refrigerate overnight.

The next day, remove the pre-ferment from the refrigerator 2 hours before making the dough. At the same time, make the soaker: pulse the oats in a coffee grinder or food processor 3 or 4 times to a coarse grind and reserve 2 tsp for a garnish. Mix the rest of the oats together with the water and cover with a plate. Set aside for 2 hours.

Make the dough by combining the flour, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the pre-ferment, soaker, honey and egg, and stir with a large spoon until the dough forms a rough ball, adding a little more water or flour if needed.Turn the dough onto a flour-dusted counter and knead, occasionally dusting with more flour as needed, until the dough is firm and slightly tacky, but not sticky, about 15-20 minutes.

Grease a bowl lightly with butter and roll the dough in the bowl to coat. Cover with a clean dishtowel and rise at room temp until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

Grease (2) 8” x 4” loaf pans with butter.

Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. On a lightly floured counter, press 1 of the pieces into a rectangle about 5” x 8.” Starting on the shorter end, roll up the dough one section at a time, using your thumbs to pinch the seam closed after each roll. Pinch the final seam closed, then gently rock the loaf to even it out — do not taper the ends. Repeat with the second piece of dough.

Transfer the dough to the prepared pans. Ensure the loaf touches both ends of the pan to ensure an even rise. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a clean dishtowel and set aside to rise a second time, until the dough is doubled in size and cresting the top of the pans, about 1½-2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Melt a little butter and brush the tops of both loaves gently, then sprinkle the reserved oats on top. Bake the loaves for 30 minutes, rotate the pans in the oven, then bake until the tops are golden brown and the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 15-20 minutes more.

Remove the loaves from the pans immediately and cool on a rack for at least 90 minutes before slicing.

Store in a paper bag on the counter to keep the crust firm and the interior fresh for 2 days.

Ith gu leòir! (Eat Plenty)

New-School Tips:

• To use active dry yeast instead of instant, use ½ tsp in the pre-ferment and 2 tsp in the dough.
  • Take the chill off refrigerated milk by microwaving it for 20-30 seconds.
  • Because of carpal-tunnel-like symptoms in both arms, I am unable to knead dough for 15 minutes at a time. Instead, I mix my bread in a stand mixer. Use the paddle attachment until the dough comes together in a rough ball, then change to the dough hook and knead the dough on med. speed for 10-12 minutes, scraping down the dough as required.
  • If you keep your house on the cold side, find a warm spot near the stove, under the exhaust fan light or on top of a toaster over set on low.

Old School Tips:

• Substitute buttermilk instead of milk for an even more flavourful loaf. If you happen to make your own cheese (or drain yogurt to make yogurt cheese), use the whey in this recipe instead of milk. Waste not, want not!
  • I always set our bread to rise next to the wood stove in the winter.
  • Originally, loaves would have been baked without a pan. I find that this dense dough spreads rather than rises when it’s not in a bread pan, which results in a large flat loaf with a lot of crust. If you’re curious, form the loaves and rise them on a baking sheet instead of in a pan. Watch the loaves closely in the oven — they will bake more quickly than those in pans.

I am a professional chef, a food writer and an unabashed fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

1. Kiri W.

Looks wonderful! :) I love a dense bread with a bite to it, and the jam looks perfect.

This loaf is perfect for a healthy foodie like you, Kiri…full of wholegrain goodness! The jam was a gift from a neighbour and fellow Outlander fan (thanks Tracey!)

2. ruaTimeTraveler2

Old School!…..You make it look so easy..have to try it!

Old School, but it really isn’t hard Vickie…just a matter of kneading and waiting for the dough to rise. Anyone can bake this bread!

3. ruaTimeTraveler2

I can’t get enough!….fantastic!

4. mrs graham

wow, that sounds yummy but looks like a lot of work! i’ll send you my recipe for no-knead salt bread. it’s awesome and very easy.

Thanks Mrs. Graham. Salt bread is an old method of making leavened bread without packaged yeast. I’m interested and excited to start experimenting with the authentic salt bread, but in the meantime, I love a great recipe for no-knead bread…thanks!

5. deniz

One of my overall goals in life is to finally someday one day make bread from scratch. Will add this recipe to the pile of bread recipes I’ve been saving…

Deniz, once you get your hands on that first batch of pillowly dough and start kneading, you’ll never go back! Baking, cooling, slicing and buttering a loaf of homemade bread is one of the most satisfying things you can do in a day.

6. Lee Ann

I never have luck making bread…I need more counter space for kneading AND a stand mixer would help. Someday…

This sounds wonderful!

For those of you with space issues and no mixer, keep in mind that you can also half the recipe and make just one loaf…that should give you more room and make the kneading a little easier!

• Lee Ann

Maybe I will experiment then!!!

7. Jo

This looks so delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

8. Susan

I so love making bread and this recipe looks good !! A number of years back taking my Higher in Scotland in Italian as an ‘older student’ … I had to do a filmed talk on something and I chose ‘Bread through the Ages’ . That was fun … as I made several types to take with me … all got eaten at the end !!! I made unleavened breads and yeasted too.

Now though I have moved from the UK to Portugal and am fighting with the local flours !! For bread and cakes… they just aren’t the same and it’s taking a while to find the exact right ones !!! The dough just doesn’t rise the same way … and the gluten content must be very different too !!

Susan — great to have you here! Have you tried comparing the protein contents of your UK flours with the Portugese ones? Match up the protein content and you should find a good substitute for what you are used to working with. Best of luck!

9. Donna R

This turned out absolutely perfect! Love this bread! My only problem was my oats on top fell off when I turned out the bread from the pans. Do you press them in a bit? Not that it matters – it’s still good and makes wonderful toast! This was my second batch. Thanks again!!

Donna, the oats are a garnish — to tell you the truth, I don’t have much luck getting them to stick either — I generally have just a few hangers on by the time I slice it. But it sure looks pretty coming out of the oven, doesn’t it? ;)

10. bullrem

I might have missed this as it is a thorough and lengthy recipe with tips *(which I love). Are you using the pre-ferment and the package yeast both? If not I missed the amounts if just using the pre-fermented yeast. I so LOVE this site and all things Outlander and Scotland. I do make bread so I have knowledge of the process. I am just now sure about the yeast amounts for this recipe process. Thanks, Helen

• bullrem

Ok, I turned the TV off and re-read the info. It all made sense and fell together when I paid attention….!! I now have my dough in the first rising and I am sure it will be wonderful. Again, thanks for all thing Scots. Helen

I just saw your first comment now…glad you figured it out. I hope you enjoy it! Theresa

• bullrem

As with all the other comments, it was really good.
          I took it to a cooking class and told them the history
          and all your said about the ‘old ways’. It was GREAT.
          Thanks, Helen

11. Mrs. Graham’s Chocolate Biscuits from Dragonfly in Amber « Outlander Kitchen

[...] used the stone-ground whole-wheat flour I used for Jenny’s Everyday Bread, but any variety will [...]

12. Sandi McLaren

Ahhhh…finally a free Saturday coming up so this is on my list for the day. O Kitchen Goddess, might we have corn dodgers with some different options sometime soon? I have a yearning for barbeque and would LOVE to have a corn based goodie to serve along side (thinking of the fetes at River Run, I guess, lol)

13. Megan

Thank YOU for this recipe! I have halfheartedly Googled a way to make true whole wheat bread that doesn’t have the white flour in it and haven’t come up with much. So, here it is, right before my greedy little eyes. :D Can’t wait to try it!

I’m so glad you found what you were looking for here in Outlander Kitchen, Megan!

14. Ashley Miller

These are in the oven right now and they smell so yummy and comforting, perfect for this rainy day!

15. Linda Pitchford

I know this is probably a silly question, but I’ve never made bread before so… I went to the store to buy bread loaf pans to make this bread, and they had them in different sizes. What size bread loaf pan do you use?

not a silly question, Linda! If you can get a 4″x8″ pan, great! Most bread pans are 5″x8″

• Linda Pitchford

Thank you! I will try to find the 4″x8″. :-)

16. Carol Mackey

Reading about making rolls with this recipe brought me back to this page, and asking myself the same question as I have asked each time I happen on a bread recipe: Can it be made in a food processor? My 50-+ YO stand mixer stayed in Michigan when I moved to Colorado, and, like you, kneading bread is not a job my wrists tolerate. But I do have a food processor, with booklet, which has bread recipes . . .what do you tthink? (btw, froze clotted cream but haven’t tried it yet . . .looks okay, though, in its wee ice cube shapes . . .) ;-D

I knead flat bread dough in my food processor, Carol. You could certainly try it. For the flat bread dough, I pulse it 5 or 6 times for a total of 30 seconds. I would suggest no more than a minute for this recipe, tops. Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!

17. Gale

I’ve been making bread for about 50 years and of all the recipes I use and have tried, this is the best bread. I think I’ll be using this one for the rest of my life. Yum!!!

I love hearing that kind of thing, Gale! So glad you like it…I eat half a loaf when it’s still warm from the oven.