Mrs. Bug’s Cinnamon Toast from A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Mrs. Bug’s Cinnamon Toast from A Breath of Snow and Ashes

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

“DO YOU THINK he’ll come?”  Breakfast had been eaten, and no sign yet of Thomas Christie.  After a night of broken sleep, in which I dreamed repeatedly of ether masks and surgical disasters, I wasn’t sure whether I wanted him to come or not.

“Aye, he’ll come.”  Jamie was reading the North Carolina Gazette, four months out of date, while munching the last of Mrs. Bug’s cinnamon toast.  “Look, they’ve printed a letter from the Governor to Lord Dartmouth, saying what an unruly lot of seditious, conniving thieving bastards we all are, and asking General Gage to send him cannon to threaten us back into good behavior.  I wonder if MacDonald knows that’s public knowledge?”

“Did they really?” I said absently.  I rose, and picked up the ether mask I had been staring at all through breakfast.  “Well, if he does come, I suppose I’d best be ready.”

Diana Gabaldon, A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Chapter 23)

I heard from lots of you over the weekend — a couple made stock, a few more a batch of Bonnet’s Balls, and at least a dozen readers contacted me to let me know they were baking Honey-Buttermilk Oatbread from Voyager — and then you sent me pictures…fabulous shots of all your homemade goodies that made me glow.

How cool is that?  People are really cooking from Outlander — en masse! (well, almost ;))  As a passionate cook and fan of DG’s world, I’m so excited I am to have found a like-minded community of food and book lovers.   It’s nourishing both my mind and my belly…thank you all.

So who’s up for a little celebration? After all, we’ve been working hard in our Outlander Kitchens!  Personally, I’m gonna kick back with Jamie, ponder the morning paper and enjoy a sweet treat with my coffee.

Oh sure, you could just sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon on a piece of buttered toast, but that’s not how Mrs. Bug would’ve done it.  She would have a had a little bowl of this at hand, to feed Himself’s cravings throughout the day.

(And besides, your loaf of Oatbread deserves better than that.)

Mrs. Bug’s Cinnamon-Sugar Butter

• Butter, soft – 1/2 Cup
  • Brown Sugar – 1/4 Cup
  • Cinnamon – 2 to 3 tsp

Use a fork to mash everything together in a small bowl.  Keep covered, in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.  Freeze indefinitely.  Soften before serving.

Ith gu leòir! (Eat Plenty)

*For a more new/different taste, try adding a pinch of freshly-ground cardamom to your butter.  Cardamom is a member of the ginger family that lends a unique floral taste/scent and combines well with cinnamon.  Common in Scandinavian baking, the key with cardamom is to use a light hand — a pinch will do it.

1. Jeanie Oliver
    January 31, 2012 at 3:11 am

I thought I’d post here so you know I’m reading here, also!
    We won’t mention my breads!!

January 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Thanks Jeanie! Great to have you in the kitchen…Theresa

2. Jen C.
    January 31, 2012 at 5:49 am

Sounds delicious but we don’t eat a lot of toast. Any ideas for what else we could use it on???? I love Mrs. Bug! (comment edited by OK to remove a spoiler — sorry!)

January 31, 2012 at 8:29 am

Jen! If you look just below the recipe title, you’ll see where I recommend this on popcorn too! It makes a great sweet and salty snack!

• Jen C.
      January 31, 2012 at 10:11 am

That’s ok about the editing. I guess it never occurred to me that there might be someone who hadn’t read ALL the books! lol

January 31, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks, Jen! I know someone right now who is halfway through ABOSAA, so…I thought I’d better be safe! 🙂

• Pat McKevitt-Ryman
      January 31, 2012 at 2:16 pm

It’s really good on baked sweet potatoes. Try putting them under the broiler for a minute to make the cinnamon and butter melt into the potato. Much easier than candied sweets and delicious!

February 1, 2012 at 11:58 am

Pat! What a great idea! Did you hear that everyone? PUT IT ON SWEET POTATOES! 🙂

3. I’ve never even thought of making cinnamon butter yet we eat cinnamon toast on a regular basis. What a fantastic idea. Mrs. Bug is a genius. 🙂

January 31, 2012 at 9:32 am

I’ll let her know you think so, Christiane! 😉

4. Lee Ann
    January 31, 2012 at 6:14 am

I’m going to make some right now! I have a little shaker of cinnamon and sugar ready at all times. We always had one in the house when I was a kid…the idea just stuck. Must be prepared, after all!

January 31, 2012 at 9:32 am

I think I may have to take up that tradition too, Lee Ann….

• Lee Ann
      January 31, 2012 at 10:36 am

I also have fond memories of going on late night excursions to the diner with friends in college for conversation and cinnamon toast. 🙂 Another good tradition.

5. outlanderfan
    January 31, 2012 at 6:52 am

What a great idea, mixing it all up together ahead of time- much easier than buttering the toast first, then trying to mix the perfect combination of cinnamon & sugar to my kids’ liking. I’m going to looooooove this!

January 31, 2012 at 9:31 am

Oh, yes, kidlets love this! 😉

6. Maggie @ Kitchie Coo
    January 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

Awesome idea! I love mixing the ingredients and slathering it on all together.
    PS I LOVE your blog!!

7. Lior
    January 31, 2012 at 11:15 am

Can’t wait to try this one Theresa! going to make some this afternoon. will be delicious with my gluten free bread!

8. Kate
    February 2, 2012 at 8:41 am

This was the best homemade bread I’ve ever made. My whole family loved it and devoured both loaves within two days! The recipie is going in my recipie binder, I’m already planning to make it again! Yumm!

• Kate
      February 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

Oops! This comment should have been under the recipie for the Oat bread! Oh well I made the spread too and it went just as fast as the bread. Delicious!

February 2, 2012 at 1:56 pm

No worries, they’re meant to go together anyway! Theresa

February 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Just another way to bring the entire family into our Outlander world!

9. deniz
    February 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Yum yum yum! I’ve had butter and brown sugar on toast, but never thought to add cinnamon before!

February 4, 2012 at 10:52 am

Mrs Bug would be shocked, Deniz! (And then she’d be right over with a big bowl, just for you).

10. ML
    February 4, 2012 at 8:19 am

S ay have you ever made the “creamed Crud” for the gingerbread Mrs Bug made?

February 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

Haven`t tried the crud yet 😉 but it`s definitely on the list!

11. Shawn Bird
    March 15, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I add “kardamumma” (as I first learnt to call the spice in Finland) to almost everything. It’s fantastic added to French toast batter.

March 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Cardamom is one of my favourites too, Shawn!

12. Rebecca
    June 1, 2014 at 9:50 am

I love this idea! I grew up with my mom making cinnamon toast in the toaster oven…spread a slice of bread with butter, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top, then toast for melty goodness! This seems even easier, since I no longer have a toaster oven at hand. Thank you, and Happy World Outlander Day! 😀

13. Kate Leslie
    June 1, 2014 at 11:53 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for baking or buying good gluten-free bread? In support of my husband’s new gluten-free diet, I have given up my beloved morning cinnamon toast. My mouth was watering reading about the cinnamon butter!

• Molly
      August 15, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Kate, I don’t know if you’ll see this since it is so long since you posted your reply but in my limited ‘purchased gf bread’ experience the Schar brand has been the best. You have to go into it knowing it is just not going to be the same as a gluten loaf but compared to others I’ve tried, it is very satisfying. Best wishes on helping your husband with his new diet.

14. Beth Burghardt
    October 24, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’ve read all the books multiple times, but haven’t sprung for a Starz subscription… hope to get the whole season 1 on DVD (with extra footage a la Battlestar Galactica!) and binge awa’!

Love the Outlander-based recipes with excerpts, my favorite way to get my daily Outlander fix. Have the ingredients for Mrs. Bug’s drop biscuits in the fridge, hope to get them made over the weekend after my middle daughter get’s her cooking-fixation out of the way (she’s home from boarding school, had to make a butternut squash-crispy sage pizza recipe last night, took hours but was worth it!)

October 24, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Wonderful! Enjoy your time in the kitchen with your daughter…those are some of my favourite childhood memories.

15. Lizzi Campbell
    January 9, 2015 at 7:33 am

I keep my mix up in the littlest canning jar on the counter. One recipe fills it right to the top. I finally got up courage & baked my own bread at the end of 2014. Just had home baked bread toast with a generous smear of cinnamon-sugar butter melted in. Delicious!

16. Anna Lapping
    February 25, 2015 at 6:13 am

I usually put brown sugar, butter and cloves on my baked acorn squash, but I think the cinnamon and cardamom would make a great change.

17. Melissa
    June 10, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I juste ate two pieces of toast with this on it. Super yum! I made it with the spreadable kind of butter that has the bit of oil in it.

18. Alice Watkins
    February 4, 2016 at 8:35 am

My mom always kept a little container of cinnamon sugar on the counter. She didn’t add the butter to it, but it was available. The combo is great on sweet potatoes and any winter squash. Also mom would bake a couple sweet potatoes whenever she had the oven going for a roast, cake, what have you, and store them in the fridge for later. When it came time for the meal, she’d peel and slice them into rounds, sprinkle on butter, cinnamon, and sugar and warm them back up in the oven until the sugar was caramelized. Yummy!