Crock Pot Chicken Fricassee from A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Crock Pot Chicken Fricassee from A Breath of Snow and Ashes

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

“Less EAT, Mummy!”  Jemmy piped up helpfully.  A long string of molasses-tinged saliva flowed from the corner of his mouth and dripped down the front of his shirt.  Seeing this, his mother turned on Mrs. Bug like a tiger.

“Now see what you’ve done, you interfering old busybody! That was his last clean shirt!  And how dare you talk about our private lives with everybody in sight, what possible earthly business of yours is it, you beastly old gossiping –“

Seeing the futility of protest, Roger put his arms round her from behind, picked her up bodily off the floor, and carried her out the back door, this departure accented by incoherent protests from Bree an grunts of pain from Roger, as she kicked him repeatedly in the shins, with considerable force and accuracy.

I went to the door and closed it delicately, shutting off the sounds of further altercation in the yard.

“She gets that from you, you know,” I said reproachfully, sitting down opposite Jamie.  “Mrs. Bug, that smells wonderful.  Do let’s eat!”

Mrs. Bug dished the fricassee in huffy silence, but declined to join us at table, instead putting on her cloak and stamping out the front door, leaving us to deal with the clearing-up.  An excellent bargain, if you ask me.

Diana Gabaldon, A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Chapter 21)

There’s nothing like a little post-fracas fricassee to return those embroiled in emotion to calm.  The rich sauce focuses the mind with singular intent, and the wholesome mix of slow-cooked chicken & veg comforts even the most adrenaline-charged maelstrom.

Unfortunately, when you’re that pissed off, you don’t really feel like sitting down to dinner, do you?

Not for awhile anyway.  We’ll just keep it warm…

Crock Pot Chicken Fricassee

If you’re a fan of Julia Child, then you may recognize Chicken Fricasse from her repertoire.  In fact, when I started my search for a traditional fricassee recipe, I turned to Julia’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking first.  But whereas Mrs. Bug would have used one kettle to cook her stew, Julia managed to dirty every pan in the kitchen by cooking all of the components of this dish separately.

And that doesn’t work in the modern Outlander Kitchen.  I’m sure all of us would rather be reading than doing the dishes.  Or at least sneaking a peek at DG’s Daily Lines. 😉

Chicken Fricassee

So I took Julia’s recipe and simplified and condensed it my very own Crockpot Chicken Fricassee receipt — one that I’m pretty chuffed about.  It makes for some very tasty Outlander-inspired eats, if I do say so myself.

And while it uses (by my count) 3 pans, including the slow cooker, it’s got nothing on Mrs. Child’s.

Crock Pot Chicken Fricassee

Don’t be daunted by the long recipe.  The method is simple, the ingredients basic and once everything is in the crock pot (about 30 minutes prep), you can turn it on and walk away for a good part of the day.

The sauce is quick to finish just before serving and is the highlight of the dish — without it, this is simply a chicken and vegetable stew — thickened with egg yolks, the sauce adds a luscious authenticity to my modern-day adaptation of this classic French dish.

And for those of you trying to cut the calories, don’t be afraid of the cream, just go a little lighter on the sauce when you serve.  But please don’t skip it, you’ll be missing the best part.

Crock Pot Chicken Fricassee

The potatoes are the only non-authentic component of the dish.  Traditionally, a fricassee is served on rice, but in the spirit of making clean-up as easy as possible, I went with tatties and threw them in with everything else.

Crock Pot Chicken Fricassee

A warm, comforting chicken and vegetable stew finished with a flavourful cream sauce that Mrs. Bug would have been proud to call her own.

Serves: 4

For the Chicken:

• Bone-in Chicken Thighs, rinsed and trimmed of extra fat & skin – 2 lbs (6-8 pieces)
  • All Purpose Flour – ¼ Cup
  • Salt – ½ tsp
  • Pepper – ¼ tsp
  • Olive Oil – 2 Tble
  • Butter – 2 Tble

For the Vegetables:

• Mushrooms, wiped clean, halved – ½ lb
  • Yellow Potatoes, trimmed, 2” pieces – 1 lb
  • Lemon Juice – 2 Tble
  • Small Onions (about 1” diameter), peeled – ¾ lb (or 1 large onion, julienned)
  • Carrots, peeled and cut into 4-6 pieces each – 2 medium
  • Garlic, papery skin removed  – 1 whole head
  • Butter – 2 Tble
  • Bay Leaves – 2
  • Fresh Thyme – 2 sprigs
  • Salt + Pepper – pinches
  • Chicken Stock – 1 Cup
  • White Wine – ½ Cup

For the Sauce:

• Whipping Cream – ½ Cup
  • Egg Yolks – 2
  • Salt + Pepper – to taste

Pat the chicken pieces dry.  Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Dredge the thighs in flour one at a time, shaking off the excess.

Heat a large heavy frying pan over medium-high.  Heat the olive oil and butter until bubbling and fry half of the chicken, skin side down, until light golden, about 3-4 minutes.  Flip and fry another 3 minutes on the second side.  Remove to the crock pot and repeat with the other half of the chicken.

Toss the mushrooms and potatoes with the lemon juice, then nestle them, along with the onions, carrots, garlic, butter, bay leaves and thyme in amongst the chicken pieces.  Season with salt and pepper, pour in the stock and wine, and rock the crock pot gently to settle and mix.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Move the oven rack to the top position and preheat the oven to 300°.

When the chicken and vegetables are tender, turn off the crock pot.  Discard the garlic, bay leaves and thyme.  Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and vegetables to an oven-proof dish, and keep warm in the oven, uncovered, while you finish the sauce.

Strain the cooking liquid from the crock pot into a medium saucepan.  Use a spoon to skim the surface of fat, then reduce the liquid over medium-high heat until it measures about 1½ cups.  Reduce the heat to medium-low.

Beat together the egg yolks and cream.  Add 2-3 tablespoons of the hot cooking liquid into the cream mixture and stir well, then add the cream back into the saucepan and stir constantly until hot, and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.  Season to taste and keep warm.

When the sauce is ready, turn the oven’s to broil to lightly brown and crisp the chicken’s skin, about 4 or 5 minutes.

Divide the chicken and vegetables on 4 plates and spoon over the sauce.

Ith do leòr! (Eat Plenty)

Tips:

• Ideally, you want to use a white chicken stock in a fricassee, to keep the colour light.  However, if you have homemade brown chicken stock and use that instead, no one but you will ever know.  If you use store-bought stock, go easy on the salt when you’re seasoning the rest of the dish.

Crock Pot Chicken Fricassee

1. Kea
    February 6, 2012 at 4:13 am

wow. i love Julia’s recipes, but tend to only make them when i know there’s plenty of time for preparation AND plenty of clean-up motivation… I never thought to try to condense the recipe to “one” pot! mmmm Genius! Will try this in next week’s menu for sure.

Ps I play a game now with OK pics… it’s ‘spot the goblet’ 🙂

• Liz Czepiel
      February 5, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Must try this but we prefer lean chicken breasts with all fat removed! Save this one for winter X

2. Donna
    February 6, 2012 at 8:47 am

Simple is always better in my book! I will have to try this soon – it looks great for a cold winter evening. Love the matches on the side – so appropriate with the narrative about Brianna, the fiery red heid!

February 6, 2012 at 11:57 am

You’re so right about it being perfect for a cold winter’s evening, Donna! As for the matches, if Mrs. Bug would just stop putting babies in her belly, Brianna may eventually get around to showing them all her latest invention! 😉

3. ruaTimeTraveler2
    February 6, 2012 at 10:54 am

Now I’m hungry!…looks so good…soul food..as in good for my soul!

February 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

Nothing like good old fashioned home cooking to stir the soul, Vickie!

4. outlanderfan
    February 6, 2012 at 10:56 am

Thank you for coming up with a crock pot recipe- I need all the time-saving help I can get!

February 6, 2012 at 11:54 am

Well thanks for stopping by to check it out Jenny Roi!

5. Lee Ann
    February 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Looks absolutely delicious!

6. Kiri W.
    February 6, 2012 at 4:48 pm

A, chicken fricassee. Such a childhood favorite 🙂 Never knew you could make it in a crock pot!

February 6, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I was really happy with how this crock pot adaptation turned out Kiri! Less hassle and dishes with all the flavour…

7. Lisa K
    February 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm

What white wine would you recommend using to cook? My husband is the wine drinker, and he drinks pink stuff from a box (bleh). I myself prefer a strong ale. Everytime I’ve tried a recipe with wine as an ingredient, I never seem to get the right kind. No somalier here. Please recommend? Not necessarily a brand, but a type. Darling Husband will drink what I don’t use. 🙂

February 6, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Lisa — great question! I tend to buy a drier white wine for cooking and drinking. I used a Sauvignon Blanc in my fricassee and it was delicious both in the sauce in and my glass! 🙂 Theresa

8. Tina
    February 6, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Is it possible to substitute with chicken breast instead of chicken thighs? It sounds absolutely delicious but I don’t eat anything but chicken breast. Thanks again!

February 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Tina — you can use chicken breasts, but you’ll want to cut down the cooking time to 2.5 to 3 hours…cut the potatoes and carrots a little smaller to make up for the shorter cooking time, and check the chicken to make sure the breasts aren’t drying out to much. Enjoy! Theresa

• Tina
      February 6, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Thank you Theresa! Looking forward to making this dish this week!

February 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm

My pleasure, Tina! Hope you like it 🙂

9. Your rendition is wonderful! I love any recipe that gives great flavor without causing me a lot of clean-up. Oh my, I wish I had a bowl (or three) of that today!

February 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Many thanks, Christiane…the slow cooker is nice to fall back on from time to time, eh?

10. Alea Cunningham
    February 7, 2012 at 10:33 am

Everything Outlander and now a great recipe for dinner tonight. I thank you and my own Scot man thanks you as well 🙂

February 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Bon appetit!

11. Bri
    February 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This looks wonderful, I’ll definitely be making it for my husband. Added bonus- chicken thighs are super cheap! Affordable gourmet with an Outlander twist- you have mad skills, my friend 🙂

February 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Awww…thanks, Bri!

12. mrs graham
    February 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm

i’ve got this in the crock pot right now. i just wish i had thought to put up a loaf of bread yesterday so i’d have it to go with my awesome fricassee.

February 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Mrs. Graham 😉

13. The Suzzzz
    February 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Food and Outlander…I can’t believe it has taken me this long to find your blog! I’m so glad I saw your recipes on tastykichen.com, now I’ve got you added to the food blog roll on my site. Can’t wait to try these dishes, my husband is going to laugh and call me a dork, but he likes the Outlander series as much as I do.

February 10, 2012 at 10:35 am

Welcome to the kitchen! We’re all a little Outlander-dorky around here, so you’ll fit right in. And if your husband loves Outlander too, you’re much luckier than some of us lasses around here! Theresa

• The Suzzzz
      February 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I don’t own a crockpot but I had everything for this at home (that NEVER happens when I find a good recipe) so I threw it all in my french oven and put it in the oven at 250F on my lunch break. Now I’m slacking off at work wanting to ditch out early to go home and eat. My manager is going to regret the day I found this blog.

February 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Sounds like a great plan! Hope you enjoy…

• Kimberly
      August 16, 2014 at 5:02 am

How long did you bake at 250F? Planning this for dinner today… And not sure of the timing… Thanks!

14. Shana Jensen
    February 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I love “rock the crock.” I’m going to make this one, for sure. Thanks again for another great recipe!

February 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

It’s getting some great reviews, Shana! Hope you like it. 🙂

15. Kate
    March 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Another big hit with my family!! This was comfort food to the 10th degree. Soo yummy.

16. Lisa (Book Blab)
    May 31, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Seeeriously, Theresa, I am addicted to your site! And your page on FB. Going to try this recipe this week.

Keep ’em coming!

June 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Thank you so much, Lisa! That made my day. Theresa

17. Kate
    December 6, 2012 at 8:56 am

I made this for the third time, this time for a winter pot luck. It was a big hit! This is melt in your mouth comfort food at its best. Love it

December 10, 2012 at 10:47 am

I’m so glad the potluck liked it, Kate! Chick Frick is a great choice for that kind of “affair” 😀

18. Debbie Michaels
    January 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I’m making this for the first time, just got it all cozy in the crockpot. Wondering: would the buttermilk biscuits be too much to serve with it?
    If I don’t completely mess it up, I’ll post pics later…no promises!! LOL!

January 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm

The Buttermilk Biscuits are proving a very popular accompaniment to the Fricasse…nothing is ever too much in an Outlander Kitchen, Debbie. 😉 I hope you and your family enjoy it!

• Debbie Michaels
      January 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Okay, I’ll give it a go. I can say, 2.5 hrs into the crock pot cycle that the aroma is just wonderful! I’m looking forward to both!
      Thanks Theresa!

19. Nikki
    January 23, 2013 at 7:46 am

From the newest member of the Chubby biscuit club,
    I can say this, too, was wonderful- made it yesterday! The finishing sauce is to die for!

January 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

LOL, Nikki! I’m glad you enjoyed your Outlander dinner. 🙂

20. Mike Batard
    February 7, 2013 at 6:06 pm

The recipe is great! I was shocked and horrified to see raw chicken on a porous wood cutting board — health code violation — but the recipe is still great. 🙂

February 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm

If that truly shocks and horrifies you, I don’t recommend traveling back to 18th C Scotland.

Sarcasm aside, I’m glad you like the recipe. But if you have a problem with my photo, why not email me privately instead of attempting to engage in some sort of public shaming? It’s bad form and obnoxious. And I’m getting really, really tired of people hiding behind their screens.

There is absolutely nothing unsafe about any of the food preparation in my kitchen. And that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

• Lisa (Book Blab)
      February 7, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Good for you, Theresa! As a book blogger, I have had an occasional run in with people who speak up in a way they would never do if that person were right in front of you. Raw chicken on a wooden cutting board? Hello! Welcome to my life. As long as it is put in the dishwasher or washed in hot enough water it’s not an issue.

Sheesh! Proud of you, girl.
      Lisa

February 7, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Thanks for the support! I will not take it in silence anymore. None of us should. 🙂

• KRhodig
      February 7, 2013 at 6:59 pm

She is a chef, she isn’t stupid, she knows how to keep her cutting boards clean and disinfected after use….don’t badger her because you don’t like what kitchen utensils she is using, what do you think they did before plastic was invented…geesh

February 7, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Thanks, Katie! 😀

• The Suzzzz
      February 7, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Wow Mike, really? Really?? #1 – She is cooking in her own home, the health code doesn’t enter into it. #2 – I’ve placed raw meat and poultry on my wooden cuttings boards and NEVER had a food born illness problem. You know why? I know how to properly cook meats to temperature and I now how to thoroughly sanitize my prep area…and Teresa actually being a professional, I’m sure she’s even more thorough than I am. #3 – Compliment sandwich much? That never works. #4 – You don’t call someone out in a public comment, if you have a problem you deal with it one on one. Grown up, until you do, get the hell off the internet.

21. Monica
    March 12, 2013 at 9:31 am

I’ve been attempting to make this dish for the last four months. But didn’t want to deal with all of the cooking. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Headed to the store now and I’ll let you know how it turns out! Wish me luck!

March 18, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Good luck, Monica! We`d love to see a pic of the finished dish!

22. Robin Haynes
    July 19, 2014 at 6:53 am

I made this and it was awesome! Thanks for all of the great recipes!

July 20, 2014 at 10:40 am

Glad you enjoyed it, Robin!

23. Mindy
    August 4, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Thought I would let you know that I made a tripple batch of this for friends and family who came over on Saturday for my “Outlander” premier party. I had never made it before, which can be a little scary when having guests, but since I have never had anything short of delicious from your site I had faith. And it was DELICIOUS!!!! Thank you so much for doing what you do!!!!

August 4, 2014 at 3:44 pm

That’s a big batch of fricassee! Glad it was a success!

24. Jane M Kieffer Rath
    November 19, 2014 at 5:50 pm

A triumph! Dee-lish-us!!! So wonderful to come home on a blustery day, finish a sauce and sit down to a meal that tastes like I’ve been slaving away all day in the kitchen. Thank you again!

25. Vicki Larson
    January 13, 2015 at 5:59 pm

My hubby has loved the chocolate short bread cookies as well as this. I made it with breasts and did not use the entire head of garlic or the mushrooms (I failed to buy a new head of garlic and mushrooms) but I always buy tatties and carrots and fresh herbs. When I next make this, I will be sure to have all the ingredients. They are already on my list. Oh, and I had to sub the wine with white grape juice mixed with a bit of white wine vinegar to cut the sweetness. I bet it will be even better with the proper ingredients.

26. Rhonda
    March 6, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Made this today….New family favorite! But I forgot the onions….I used a whole chicken, I quartered it and used Yellow Tail Riesling. This was delish!! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

27. Jo Ellen Vice
    April 19, 2015 at 10:42 pm

We had this last week at our Outlander viewing get together. Excellent!!

28. Denise
    June 7, 2015 at 3:11 am

I made this for dinner tonight, it is so good. I used a light ale instead of white wine which worked just as well. My daughter was rather impressed with my efforts and that’s saying a lot as she has a hospitality background. The sauce is definitely worth the extra little time at the end, those slow cook flavours are fully infused into the cream sauce. Topped it off with Cranachan for dessert, gorgeous Sunday meal. I love your recipes Theresa, there are never any exotic or hard to find ingredients and they make me appear to cook like a pro. I have gone from hating to cook to thoroughly enjoying it. Thank you!

29. Nann
    October 10, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Oh mon dieu! This was an excellent dish and so easy to prepare! My family was starving so I prepared this in the oven. I used a white cooking wine and left out the bay leaves (didn’t have any) but there is none of this dish left!! Smelled so marvelous in the oven that I could hardly wait!! For this French and English teacher, c’est si bon!!

30. Claire
    November 14, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I thought I had a pretty sophisticated palette, but I love the combo of the thyme & bay leaves with the wine flavor in this dish. I think I’m used to sage so often with poultry that this makes a lovely different flavor – made it twice and think of you and the story of poor Bree trying to stay one step ahead of Jemmy AND Mrs. Bug and the same time!!!!