OK’s Outdoor Pantry – Foraging for Nettles

Beyond the Books

For more nettle inspiraton & recipes, check out:

Nettles

1. outlanderfan
    March 1, 2012 at 5:45 am

Look at you with your video! I love it, you’re a natural!
    I would never have thought you could eat nettles fresh without getting stung (Need I remind anyone of a certain steamy scene in DIA?). And I didn’t realize they were packed w/more nutrients than spinach. Not only are you keeping Outlander alive for us in the kitchen, you’re also teaching us nutrition, lol- thank you!

March 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Hey, Jenn! Love that scene in DIA…in fact, I’ve got a post coming up with that scene verra soon. After all, it’s nettle season!

2. How cool was this! I need to head out and find me some nettles. I live in a wooded area but don’t think I’ve ever seen them before. When I do find them, I’m going to make your nettle spaetzle. 🙂

March 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thanks so much, Christiane! It will make you a spaetzle convert! LOL

3. ruaTimeTraveler2
    March 1, 2012 at 8:06 am

I learn so much…you surprise me everyday….It is a JOY to see what you are up to next!!

March 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Aww, thanks to you, my time-travelling friend!

4. Lee Ann
    March 1, 2012 at 9:09 am

I love nettles! I mostly use them dry since I don’t get the chance to forage for them a lot (since I live in the city…) but some day! We picked them with bare hands in herb class…my teacher said that the acids in the stingers can help improve arthritic hands! I found that very interesting…

March 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Like bee stings, I guess? Interesting!

5. mrs graham
    March 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

THAT WAS AWESOME!! so informative. i could tell you were nervous and out of breath, but you did a great job and i know you’ll get more comfortable with is as you do more of these. WHICH I COMMAND YOU DO!

your transitions were really well placed, if a bit fast in some spots. again, something to get better with as you go forward. i super-loved how you showed us everything to do with the nettle, even eating it raw.

and i loved “meeting” you, murph. keep up the OUTLANDISH work! <3

March 1, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Thanks, Evi! I learned a lot doing that first one and there are a few tweaks I’ll make for next time. It was fun, if just a little scary posting myself for you all to see. 🙂

6. Silvia
    March 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thank you! I learned something new about nettles. Had no clue you could eat them, I just thought they were only good for having Jamie beat you with them. What do you know.

March 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm

LOL, Silvia! Just you wait… 😉

7. dearli13
    March 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm

i had no idea what nettles were until i watched this video. thanks! now if only i can find some in brooklyn…..

March 4, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I’ll bet there’s a foraging club in Brooklyn…although nettles may be a bit tricky…except at your local Farmer’s Market this spring – try there!

8. Kiri W.
    March 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Wow, that was interesting! 🙂 We had nettles everywhere in Germany, such a common garden weed, yet I have never cooked with them.

March 4, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Kiri — nettles are right up your alley!

9. 1left
    March 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Hi Theresa, I’ve dried stinging nettles for 25 years now during the month of May and have found limited uses for the fresh nettles, I love the looks of your nettle pesto so I gotta try that, I may try a caraway, mint or sweet cicely pesto as well or mix them in a combination. Nice to see folks with culinary creativity appear on the wild food scene. Thanks for sharing.

March 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm

How wonderful! I hope you have a look through the links to the other nettle recipes too…fresh nettles are fantastically tasty.

10. bullrem
    March 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm

This was just OMG amazing. Who knew? Well, you knew and I am the better for it and for finding your site. Thanks a bunch “of nettles”…… haa haa
    Helen in Ark.

March 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm

So glad you found us, Helen! Your comments always make me smile. 🙂 (see?)

11. Peggy
    March 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I loved the first episode! You’re made for the camera =)

March 4, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Thanks, Peggy!

12. Linda
    March 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

I live in the desert. What are my options for obtaining stinging nettles?

13. Lora
    February 4, 2015 at 10:12 am

Will definitely try this! Thank you so much for expanding my world!

February 5, 2015 at 7:45 am

I’m always happy to meet another enthusiastic forager! Enjoy.

14. Joyce O'Donnell
    February 4, 2015 at 4:23 pm

When visiting friends at their French home they made a green soup and had us guess what we were eating, Nettles! It was delious.

February 5, 2015 at 7:44 am

Yes…the French love nettles! They know what I have also learned…that when picked fresh, they’re the tastiest green on the planet.