Mrs. Graham’s Chocolate Biscuits from Dragonfly in Amber

Mrs. Graham’s Chocolate Biscuits from Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber

“Thought you might do with some tea, Mr. Wake — I mean, Roger.”  Fiona set down a small tray containing a cup and saucer and a plate of biscuits.

“Oh, thanks.”  He was in fact hungry, and gave Fiona a friendly smile that sent the blood rushing into her round, fair cheeks.  Seemingly encouraged by this, she didn’t go away, but perched on the corner of the desk, watching him raptly as he went about his job between bites of chocolate biscuit.

Feeling obscurely that he ought to acknowledge her presence in some way, Roger held up a half-eaten biscuit and mumbled, “Good.”

“Are they?  I made them, ye know.”  Fiona’s flush grew deeper.  An attractive little girl, Fiona.  Small, rounded, with dark curly hair and wide brown eyes.  He found himself wondering suddenly whether Brianna Randall could cook, and shook his head to clear the image.

Apparently taking this as a gesture of disbelief, Fiona leaned closer.  “No, really,” she insisted.  “A recipe of my gran’s, it is.  She always said they were a favorite of the Reverend’s.”  The wide brown eyes grew a trifle misty.  “She left me all her cookbooks and things.  Me being the only granddaughter, ye see.”

“I was sorry about your grandmother,” Roger said sincerely.  “Quick, was it?”

Fiona nodded mournfully.  “Oh, aye.  Right as rain all day, then she said after supper as she felt a bit tired, and went up to her bed.”  The girl lifted her shoulders and let them fall.  “She went to sleep, and never woke up.”

“A good way to go,” Roger said.  “I’m glad of it.”  Mrs. Graham had been a fixture in the manse since before Roger himself had come, a frightened, newly orphaned five-year-old.  Middle-aged even then, and widowed with grown children, still she had provided an abundant supply of firm, no-nonsense maternal affection during school holidays when Roger came home to the manse.  She and the Reverend made an odd pair, and yet between them they had made the old house definitely a home.

Diana Gabaldon, Dragonfly in Amber, Chapter 2

Mrs. Graham’s Chocolate Biscuits recipe (everyone knows that in this instance biscuit=cookie right?  A biscuit can also be a cracker — but it’s not in this case — in this case it’s a cookie) is a homemade version of a UK favourite that goes back to the mid-19th Century.  They acquired their somewhat strange name (at least if you’re North American) because the baking soda in the original recipe was thought to have an antacid effect on the body, and thus aid in digestion.

Yeah, right.  A butter-rich cookie, even one not covered in chocolate, will help to move things along.

Ignorance is bliss, aye?

chocolate biscuits

Not that digestives are all bad.  If you have a look at the recipe, you can see it’s a short list of pretty standard ingredients, most of which you already have in the cupboard.

And while a digestive’s crunchy texture may come mostly from the butter and sugar, the whole-wheat flour lends a distinctive, addictive bite all its own.

It’s hard to feel terrible about cookies made from whole wheat flour — even ones with a healthy coating of chocolate on one side — but if you want to feel extra virtuous, even while you’re sneaking 2 or 3 during a midnight reconnaissance of the kitchen, then leave a few plain.

Who knows?  You may even feel better for them in the morning.

😉chocolate-brushed-digestives copy

Mrs. Graham’s Chocolate Biscuits

A simple recipe for homemade Digestive Biscuits, using basic, whole-food ingredients.  Exactly the type of recipe that gets passed from generation to generation.

Yield:  18 cookies

• Rolled Oats – ¾ Cup
  • Stone-Ground Whole-wheat Flour –  ⅔ Cup (see notes below)
  • Brown Sugar – ½ Cup, lightly packed
  • Baking Powder – 1 tsp
  • Butter – ½ Cup, cubed
  • Milk – 2 Tble
  • Chocolate Chips (Milk or Semi-Sweet) – ½ Cup

Read the whole recipe through once before you begin.

Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350° F.

Grind oats in a food processor (or in 2 batches in a coffee grinder) until a fine powder.  Mix ground oats, flour, brown sugar and baking powder in a bowl.  Add butter and mix with your fingertips until well incorporated and no big lumps of butter remain.  Add milk and mix with your hands to form a ball.

Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and chill slightly in the fridge for 15 minutes.

On a lightly floured counter, roll the dough out to an approx 12” diameter circle, ⅛” thick.  Use a 2.5” round cutter to cut out 18 cookies, re-rolling the scraps once.

Use a spatula to transfer to a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet, leaving about ½” between cookies.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just golden.  Cool 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave or in a double-boiler over simmering water.  Brush the tops of the cooled biscuits with chocolate.  Cool completely.

Store up to 1 week in a closed container.  As if they’ll last that long.

Ith gu leòir! (Eat Plenty)

• To clean your coffee/spice grinder, run a ¼ cup rice until a coarse powder.  Discard the rice and brush out the grinder and lid.  Voila!  Now you can grind your oats…
  • I used the stone-ground whole-wheat flour I used for Jenny’s Everyday Bread, if you use regular whole-wheat flour, add an extra 1/4 cup to the recipe.
  • No round cookie cutters?  Try a wine glass – or any other glass with a thinnish rim.

1. ruaTimeTraveler2
    March 5, 2012 at 12:18 am

These look so good!..I can see myself having them with coffee …Yum…

March 5, 2012 at 10:43 am

These were made for a dunk in coffee (or tea), Vickie. Super yum. Theresa

2. outlanderfan
    March 5, 2012 at 5:20 am

Poor Fiona, you can’t blame a girl for trying, lol (I’d be fussing all over Roger if I were in her shoes too!)

Well, now I have motivation to replace my food processor sooner than later!

March 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

I love Fiona…and everything she does for Bree and Roger! theresa

3. Jaclyn Yeomans
    March 5, 2012 at 7:49 am

Sounds perfect for a snow day!
    Thanks for posting yet another delish Outlander creation 🙂

March 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

My pleasure, Jaclyn! Thanks for stopping by…Theresa

4. mrs graham
    March 5, 2012 at 8:54 am

i love digestives!!! delish.

March 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

And thanks for the recipe, Mrs. G. You’re a godsend.

5. Lee Ann
    March 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

Oh boy…I bet those would go great with some whisky-lace Scottish tea 😉

6. The Suzzzz
    March 5, 2012 at 11:42 am

My brother and I both live in Ireland for a while (at separate times) and the thing he misses most is chocolate hobnobs. I’m going to have to make these and surprise him. Now if only I could find a decent homemade recipe for rich tea biscuits.

7. I always wondered why they were called digestives! Thank you for the explanation. I like the idea of using whole wheat flour in these immensely. Dudette will, I’m sure, enjoy the chocolate coating. 🙂

8. Kiri W.
    March 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Oh yes *please*! I’ll send by a young Roman for a batch of these 😉
    And I know I’ve said this before, but I just utterly adore this blog concept!

March 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thanks, Kiri! 🙂

9. bullrem
    March 7, 2012 at 9:38 am

I cannot wait to make these. Another ‘Hit’ Theresa.
    Helen in Ark.

10. Karen
    March 10, 2012 at 7:18 am

Love the bit of story and the recipe. And thank you for your tip as well.

March 10, 2012 at 8:05 am

Thank for stopping by, Karen!

11. sattvahealth
    November 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

gluten free version was a success!!! took some tweaking but i think they came out great! thank you so much for your help!

November 5, 2012 at 9:03 am

That is such great news, Lior!

12. Jenny Day
    December 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

If you’re not a chocolate junkie, my Mum, who is from Northern England, has always eaten digestives plain with a slice of blue cheese. Personally I’ll stick to the chocolate!

13. Linda
    March 28, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Made these yesterday…………soooo easy and sooooo good will never purchase chocolate digestives again………… much better than store bought……great cookie thanks for sharing

14. Mana
    March 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Giving these a go right now. Can’t wait to try them ^-^

15. dee brode
    September 6, 2014 at 1:18 pm

are all these recipes in a cookbook that you can purchase?

September 6, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Not yet, but hopefully one day. 🙂

16. Jean Prescott
    October 11, 2014 at 9:12 am

I keep cookbooks on my night table for reading at bedtime. Would love to find a way to put your recipes there, too, for the narrative that integrates Diana’s words with the recipe – your own special words – make me believe, feel as if I could make anything you post. Will be searching your archive for bannock. Thank you for Outlander Kitchen.

17. Valerie Ellis
    October 12, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Just made these with my girls (3 & 5). They had a blast painting on the chocolate! The taste test will come after dinner.

18. Janice
    October 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

of couse if they are plain digestives then you eat them with sharp cheddar cheese – sigh, and a nice cup of tea!

19. Jill Schaefer
    November 2, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Made these tonight – so yummy! And using a red wine glass rim as a cutter is genius. Mine didn’t turn out as pretty as yours though – the dough, even though chilled, kept sticking to my floured pastry marble.

November 5, 2014 at 1:44 pm

hmmm…maybe reduce the milk by a teaspoon or two next time?

20. Tessy
    March 9, 2015 at 11:17 am

Just made this recipe yesterday- they were fantastic! ! Doubled the recipe and they are almost gone already! Thanks so much for sharing!

21. Julie
    May 2, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Love this recipe and am looking forward to trying it tonight. Could I skip the melting chocolate step by putting a few chips on each cookie before it cools, and spreading it as it it melts right on the cookie? Or do you think that would make the cookie soggy? I have a toffee recipe where the chips go on whole and the heat from the toffee melts them.

May 3, 2015 at 12:41 pm

try it! I have no idea if it will work, but it sure sounds easier!

• Julie
      May 3, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Thanks Theresa. I love these cookies.
      I did try it. The chocolate chips only melted enough when the cookies came right out of the oven, not after transferring them to the rack. Maybe they are a tiny bit less crisp than the ones done according to the recipe (I tried both ways), but it was definitely easier, and less messy.
      I also tried freezing the rolled and cut dough so I can bake “as needed” (our household’s version of portion control). Placed on layers of freezer paper. Haven’t cooked ay from frozen yet, but I’ll let you know how they turn out.

22. Julie
    May 13, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Frozen cookies were perfect. Straight from the freezer to the cookie sheet and into the oven and barely any additional cooking time. Came out nice and crisp, even with a mix of semi and bittersweet chips on them right out of the oven. Chips melt, spread with knife, yum. Thanks for a great recipe.