Happy Hogmanay & The Winner!

Happy Hogmanay & The Winner!

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

Bliadhna mhath ùr to you all!  Happy Hogmanay! I hope you had a wonderful New Year.

My apologies for being a day late with this post — I wanted to get it up for Hogmanay — but holiday celebrations and travel seem to have gotten the best of me.

Or maybe it was the Cherry Bounce…after all, we had quite a party, didn’t we?

Jane was the first to arrive, and she brought along a little light reading to pass the time. (I’d like to know how long she held that tome aloft with just one hand…Jane, you’ve got stronger wrists than I.)

I love the crystal goblet — you really know how to showcase your Bounce!

Debbie

Debbie stopped in to say hi from her penthouse in Paris.  That’s some view, Debbie! 😉

lori

Lori and John checked in from Down South…their bounce was made from a very old bottle of hooch that Lori came across in the back of the liquor cabinet.

With a few cherries, some lemon zest and a little sugar, hooch became red gold.  (Although Lori says it peaked about a month ago…it grows more Robitussiny with each day.)

Drink up, kids!

JZ Karin

Karin and her beau dropped in for a wee nip.

Slàinté!

Katie

Katie says hi from Colorado!

kim debbie

Kim, Debbie and Rosie shared some rather large glasses of bounce.  I wonder how they felt the next morning.  😀

Party on, ladies!  Marlen

Marlen donned the cutest wee New Year’s hat I’ve ever seen and checked in with her delicately coloured Bounce that coordinates beautifully with her hair, and that sprig of green sets it all on fire!

(I love this pic…can you tell?)

meghann

Meghann’s passed by with her Bounce, which was a little darker than Marlen’s…I love how everyone’s batch is a little different.

Recipes are guidelines, not blueprints.  Add a little flair here and there, and make every dish your own.

anita

Back to the party!

Anita was feeling a little camera shy, so she sent her man around to say hi.  He looks like he’s enjoying his Bounce!

Misty (2)

Misty sent us all a cup of good cheer from her corner of the world.

I can’t get over what a beautiful group of people we have at this Kitchen party!

teresa

Teresa gathered round the Christmas tree to enjoy her Bounce.

Cheers, lass!suzanne

Suzanne and her hubby seemed to have a great time at the Bounce party…I think we all did!

Pamela

Pamela put a little Bounce in her step with her batch.

She even has a shot glass with her own name on it!  I like this woman already.

CHERRY BOUNCE OUTLANDER DROP copy

I enjoyed the Bounce too.  Almost a little too much.

So, the next day, I invented a little hair of the dog that I have to say is pretty darn good.  I dropped an ounce of Bounce into a glass of cold, crisp cider and imbibed to take the (minor) hurt away.

Delicious and invigorating!  You can’t ask for much more from your Bounce.

After much discussion on the OK Facebook page, this is provisionally named a Cider Bounce.  Unless you’ve got a better idea…?

Annika

The last guest to stop by was Ånnika, all the way from Sweden.  Don’t you love her book nook?

399386_10151018817693710_56947939_n

Ånnika has been an enthusiastic supporter of The Great Cherry Bounce Experiment from the very beginning, and sent me a picture at each stage of her process.  Always well composed, colourful and really rather pretty!

Because of that, I’ve decided to award her with the prize for the best Bounce Party picture.  Ånnika, please email me with your address to outlanderkitchen (at) shaw.ca, and I will send you your prize, a set of two whisky glasses.

Annika Åstradsson

Which leads us to the big announcement.

Who won this copy of the 25th Anniversary Outlander, signed by Herself?

signed book

Congratulations to Rebecca N!  Please email me with your address to outlanderkitchen (at) shaw.ca, and I will send you your fabulous prize ASAP.

Thank you to everyone who joined in The Great Cherry Bounce Experiment!  Did you enjoy a batch?  I’d love to know what you thought and whether you’ll be doing it again next year.  Leave a comment down below!

1. Suzanne Woodard Cole
    January 3, 2013 at 12:26 am

Congratulations, Rebecca! What fun!

2. Annika Åstradsson
    January 3, 2013 at 4:04 am

Oh thank you! I am so very pleased that you liked the photos! This experiment has given me so much – a batch of really cool cherry bounce, knowledge that there IS such a thing as cherry bounce, a heap of boozy cherries that won’t freeze (wonder why!), a very cool blog to follow (guess which one!), an incentive to break out the camera again and a warm certainty that there are more crazy people out there to make friends with. Thank you, warmly, for your blog and page.

Love
    Annika

January 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Beautifully said, Annika! You are a most welcome addition to our crazy little kitchen. xo

3. The Suzzzz
    January 3, 2013 at 8:26 am

I’m jealous of Annika’s library!

January 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I know! I think we all are. LOL

4. Lora Hansen
    January 3, 2013 at 8:43 am

I love this site! It is always entertaining and informative. The recipes are grand, and have found much favor with my husband, despite his being Danish, not Scot in heritage. My recommendation for the name of your “Hair of the Dog” drink is “Bounce Back”.

• Kelly
      January 3, 2013 at 10:33 am

‘Bounce Back!’ I LOVE IT!! Ha!!

January 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm

We’re all verra funny in this little kitchen of ours…haha!

January 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I love Bounce Back! That’s exactly what I did after a few sips…tell your husband I’m of Danish heritage too, Lora. The Vikings certainly made their way to Scotland, and there are many common threads through both cuisines.

5. Mary Lou
    January 3, 2013 at 9:18 am

Wow those are Whisky Glasses?? When my Red Haired Half Scotsman & I got married his mother gave us two lovely pieces of stemware. They have a long enough stem that I thought they were for wine, but the glass part was very small, but it had beautiful Celtic knotwork etched on them. Oddly though one anniversary I did pour some Balvenie in them to toast with him. But only because we do not drink much wine, and I wanted to use one of our wedding gifts. Well now wait until I tel him this. I just pulled them out of the cabinet to look at them, they need to be washed up, and I will make sure we use them again since the anniversary is next month. Slainte

January 3, 2013 at 12:08 pm

The things we learn, eh, Mary Lou! LOL…the “chimney” on the glass really helps you to appreciate the whisky’s nose, as well as it’s taste.

6. Christiane Kypraios
    January 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to Teresa for her cool blog, lovely pics too ! the crystal glasses are beautiful (I’ve got some like these and something like cherry bounce too…). HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone ! All the best from France

January 3, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Happy New Year, Christiane!

7. Alyson
    January 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

Great photos, everyone! And congrats to the winners!

8. Claudia Barry
    January 3, 2013 at 10:42 am

Annika, enjoy the boozy cherries over ice cream! Love your book nook too!

January 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I think we’re all coveting that nook…

9. Jeanne
    January 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

Wonderful photos! Annika’s book nook rocks. My group of lassies and I are about to start our cherry bounce for Fergus this year. We know it’s not the traditional time of year to do it but it’s when we all gather. Better late than never.

Slainte, Jeanne

January 3, 2013 at 12:06 pm

What a great idea, Jeanne! I wish I were coming to Fergus…I’d impose upon your group’s hospitality and ask for a wee dram (for comparative purposes, of course).

• Jeanne
      January 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm

You are most welcome Theresa if your plans should change.

10. Elsie
    January 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm

You could save up your heap of boozy cherries for fruitcake to eat with your cherry bounce. I will have to try this next year. Considering I can’t feel anything below my eyeballs when I drink a 1/4 glass of wine it will be interesting.

11. Jacque Watkins
    January 3, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Alcohol won’t freeze….enjoyed this very much…

January 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm

She knows that Jacque.

12. Cindi
    October 10, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I just found your website and am loving it! ^_^ Thank you so much for making all this and sharing it with us! A question for you….do you think there’s any way cherry bounce might work with frozen cherries? We are past the season for fresh, I’m afraid. 🙁

October 11, 2014 at 8:02 am