Cherry Bounce 2013

Cherry Bounce 2013

A Breath of Snow and Ashes, The Fiery Cross

It’s that time of year again!  Are you ready to get your Cherry Bounce on?  We had dozens join in the fun last year, and I’m pretty sure we all loved the Bounce — it was sweet, boozy and delicious — without too much of the cough syrup taste that many of us feared.

Join us!  All you need is a pound of cherries, the hoochiest bottle of booze you can find (we had Vodka, Brandy, Everclear and a few other versions in addition to whisky last year — all with rave reviews!)

You’ll find the recipe in my post from last year:  The Great Cherry Bounce Experiment.  Come on, you know you want to…

A few Outlander fans already have a batch underway!  Check for cherries in your area…they’re ripening across the northern hemisphere as I type.  Don’t miss out!

The batch above belongs to Iseabail — who knew Trader Joe’s had their own brand of whisky?!

Dorothy

Dorothy started a batch with an old, never before opened bottle of Crown Royal that I assume she found at the back of a liquor cabinet at her disposal.

Now that’s what I’m talking about!  I predict a great batch of Bounce.

Kristina

Kristina started a month ago!  Just remember to wait for the rest of us, Kristina.  It’s never a good idea to Bounce alone.

Mickey

Mickey documented her batches down to the very minute!  Now that’s what I call a scientific approach…

Stacey

Stacey started with a cheap bottle of vodka — a much more neutral tasting choice if you’re not fond of whisky.  I love the colour she’s got already!

Still not convinced?  Or looking for more inspiration?  You’ll find lots more pictures and more bounce talk here:

Straining the Cherry Bounce

Happy Hogmanay!  Time to Drink That Bounce!

1. Annie's Muse
    June 25, 2013 at 5:26 am

Going shopping tomorrow after Physical Therapy — what a wonderful way to start the New Year!

2. Stacey S
    June 25, 2013 at 8:34 am

It was fun! I can hardly wait till December!

3. Melanie
    June 25, 2013 at 9:13 am

Well, I am excited! I’m just now getting on this train and being this is the first time I’ve seen this, I just have to make a batch!! 🙂 (I’m finishing Voyager just now, haven’t gotten to the Fiery Cross yet) 🙂

4. Kelly
    June 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

We had some Bacardi left over from my 40th birthday party last weekend, so we used it as our hooch. We also have a cherry tree in our front yard, therefore, HAD to try this experiment!!

5. Jeanne
    June 25, 2013 at 9:47 am

Yay! I missed the gathering last year. Can’t wait to join you all this year. I have a batch just finishing up in the cellar now to take to the Fergus Scottish Festival and Highland Games. Two other lassies made it to. It will be fun to explore the different flavors. Where can I send Photos?

6. Tiffany
    June 25, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Started my batch last month with some very hoochie whiskey and nice plump cherries. ^_^

7. Taking On Magazines
    June 26, 2013 at 5:03 am

All right. I’ve got to get out and buy a bottle of vodka (I need the neutral alcohol taste).

8. Kathi
    June 27, 2013 at 5:31 am

I missed the bounce last year so I am excited to try this out. Now, the big decision is what type of “hooch” to use! ♥

June 27, 2013 at 11:32 am

You could always make 2 batches and do a taste test. 😉

• Kathi
      June 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Yes. Verra good idea! 🙂

9. ML
    June 27, 2013 at 11:26 am

Ok so this year I think I am going to try making the Cherry bounce. Now some of you used whisky what kind did you use? Opinions??? Scotch, Canadian, blended?? Vodka I can see since it is neutral but I think that might lead to more cough syrupy tasting. What about Rum or brandy and are there any suggestions for the kind? As I have a cherry pitter I will take the time to pit them. Some of the local farms are advertising that you can come and pick your own, but I am going to hold off on that. My infant cherry trees will not be producing much for another 2-3 years.

June 27, 2013 at 11:31 am

If you check the links to the previous posts that I pasted here, ML, you’ll see we had everything from Jack Daniels to 25 YO brandy that had been stuck in the back of someone’s parents’ liquour cabinet since the 80’s. High quality whisky is not what you want here…I made a batch with some Grants (blended Scotch) and another batch with Alberta Rye. Believe it or not, the rye was preferred by all who tasted.

As you say, vodka has the potential to become more syrupy, so watch the sugar if that’s what you decide to go with.

10. ML
    June 29, 2013 at 5:44 am

Ok so I head out to the store for errands and one was to find some booze to make the Cherry bounce. Now what I was looking for when I asked suggestions the other day was opinions on the final product. Was one better than the other? Did many of you taste more than one? We do not drink much around here of anything in fact the DH was going to pitch some beer that was past its best taste date But I saved it and made some beer scented soap. How’s that for Scottish Thrifyness? LOL And I was not about to put my Balvenie single malt in with cherries & sugar. No matter how many years it takes me to drink the bottle.
    So I went to the store and I asked the man his opinion. I told him what some of the choices were that had been used the year before. And what does he suggest to me?? Grants blended Scotch & everclear. So I bought white & red cherries and I am going to make up the jars and put them down in the room where I store my canning goods. And we will see what the New Year taste’s like. I told him we were a book club, I did not mention we were an online book club and that we are all over the world with this little challenge.

• jeannenme
      June 29, 2013 at 10:50 am

Wow ML, what a great idea to use everclear and white cherries! I can’t wait to hear…and see…how that one turns out.

June 29, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I liked the batch I made with Grant’s a lot last year. But I too am intrigued with the white cherries and everclear…a very cosmopolitan Bounce, indeed! We can’t buy everclear in BC without a wholesale license, but I do believe it’s available in Alberta liquor stores. (Oh, the antiquated, prohibition-era liquor laws of Canada…)

11. Karla Mika
    July 2, 2013 at 10:14 am

We enjoyed this so much last year, we are in for another batch. Last year I used the Chivas Regal that my husband had received as a gift at work with Rainier cherries. This year I had inadvertently purchased two bottles of Lagavulin 16, thus had an extra to try on the bounce with some deep, dark bing cherries. We are very curious how the intense peat of the Lagavulin will fare against the cherries.

July 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Holy cow! That’s deluxe Bounce, Karla! I would love to try a wee nip of that…I look forward to hearing about it!

12. MacPudel
    July 2, 2013 at 10:20 am

Is there a reason that no one juices the cherries, per the original recipes? I have a sour cherry tree, and it’s picking time, so I am definitely going to do it this year.

July 3, 2013 at 9:10 am

because it’s incredibly messy and not necessary. I found receipts from the time with no mention of juicing. I based this recipe on those.

13. Donna Cerjak
    July 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Started my Bounce last weekend, using bourbon. Hey, I’m from Kentucky, it had to be! Hubby wouldn’t let me have his good stuff so off to the liquor store I went. And don’t you know, I found Ancient Age, distilled right in my hometown of Frankfort, KY. Living in the big city so long I had forgotten the smell of sour mash. So my Ancient Age Cherry Bounce is sitting in my pantry, waiting for December! This is so fun!

July 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

Now that’s what I call drinking local! Way to support your neighbourhood distillery! I bet it will be fantastic.

14. DawnaL
    July 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I found a mostly empty bottle of Whyte & Mackay and a mostly full bottle of vanilla vodka. Poured it all in together. Crossing my fingers!

July 7, 2013 at 5:36 pm

That’s the spirit! hehehe. 🙂

15. ML
    July 7, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Update on the Cherry Bounce Hogmany drink. First I need someone to tell me how I can post the few pictures I took right after I mixed up. The Grants whisky I used 1 pound of dark red pitted cherries and 1/3 C white sugar. A little sweet and a little fruity is how I think of that batch. Now the Everclear inspired me a bit more so I took it and ran with it. Everclear and white Ranier pitted cherries and 1/2 C Vanilla raw sugar that I made last fall. It has all the good taste of a raw sugar and then the wonderfullness of Vanilla beans, that have been in the sugar all this time. And just for good measure I sliced open a fresh Vanilla bean and put that into the mix. I took pictures. And then the next day I found a safe place for them to live on my canning shelves and I noticed that the everclear batch had oxidized and was not as pretty in the jar as it had been when I first mixed it up. But on the other hand it had taken the full 24 hours for the Vanilla Sugar to dissolve. So we will see what happens. Whenever I am down there I give the jar a shake and then put it back. The DH chuckled saying I was making moonshine, to which I showed him my receipt that I paid the tax. He said it was not a complaint just an observation that he likes to poke fun at my father being from the state of West Virginia.

July 8, 2013 at 6:35 am

Send me the pics to outlanderkitchen (at) shaw.ca, ML! Sounds like you had a mini labratory going there! Excellent — the fruits of your labour will be with it…now, you just have to wait!

16. Susie K
    July 8, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I just received news that my far-flung children will all be home for Christmas! I decided there was no better way to start the celebration than to start a home coming batch of Cherry Bounce myself!

17. Molly
    August 22, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Don’t know if you’ll see this question (but hope so) regarding the alcohol for Cherry Bounce. After reading the recipe and some of these other posts and the replies it is fair to say nearly anything goes but I wonder if the cherry would help cover up moonshine? I bought some cherry moonshine and also some plain moonshine and very foolishly added the regular to the cherry. It is ruined…that is a nasty tasting alcohol! It would be really fun to get the bounce started now before it is too late but my other on-hand options are either Jameson, or Jim Beam Maple or Dock #57 blackberry whiskey. There’s no way I’m using up the Glenmorangie on bounce. 😉 However, the Jameson *is* nice in Tom and Jerry’s at Christmas. What do you suggest? Hate to waste the cherries (I am using canned since it is past the season for fresh and they are spendy!) Have already used up the end of some R&R that I bought for the athol brose.

December 27, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Hmmm…I’m always one for an experiment, but if the cherries are precious, I think I’d probably skip the sketchy moonshine – I’m not sure anything will save it. But I also tried Jim Beam with blueberries and was NOT THRILLED with those results (it eventually went down the drain). I love Jameson, so I wouldn’t use that.

This is a tough question! If I absolutely had to pick one, I’d take the risk on the JB Maple…but I would be nervous.

18. Michele
    December 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I froze a bunch of cherries when they were in season… Do you think it’s worth trying it with those, since the texture changes in the alcohol anyway?

December 27, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Yes, those will work beautifully!

19. Cathy
    January 11, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Made bounce for the first time with fresh Door County Cherries. Everyone loves it. My question is what do you do with the leftover cherries? Can you reuse them and make more bounce?

20. Jenn Dory
    December 3, 2015 at 5:41 am

Hi!
    I missed the original challenge for uncorking at Hogmany, but wondered if I could use frozen dark red cherries in the bounce? Has anyone tried this?

Thank you!

j

December 5, 2015 at 7:27 am

No reason they shouldn’t work! I have used a jar of sour cherries and it worked beautifully.