Peanut Butter Power Bars for Sam Heughan as JAMMF

Peanut Butter Power Bars for Sam Heughan as JAMMF

Beyond the Books, Drums of Autumn

“Roasted peanuts,” I said.  “They grow underground hereabouts.  I found a farmer selling them for hogfood, and had the inn-wife roast some for me.  You take off the shells before you eat them.”  I grinned at him, enjoying the novel sensation of for once knowing more about our surroundings than he did.

He gave me a mildly dirty look, and crushed a shell between thumb and forefinger, yielding 3 nuts.

“I’m ignorant, Sassenach,” he said.  “Not a fool.  There’s a difference, aye?”  He put a peanut in his mouth and bit down gingerly.  His skeptical look changed to one of pleased surprise, and he chewed with increasing enthusiasm, tossing the other nuts in his mouth.

“Like them?” I smiled, enjoying his pleasure.  “I’ll make you peanut butter for your bread, once we’re settled and I have my new mortar unpacked.”

Diana Gabaldon, Drums of Autumn (Chapter 9 – Two-Thirds of a Ghost)

To think that less than a week ago, JAMMF lived only inside our heads!

And now, thanks to an over-enthusiastic Tweeter at Starz TV, and a take-the-leak-in-stride, fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants endorsement from Herself across Facebook and Twitter, we all know a bit before we were supposed to about the man who showed up to his audition ready to be our Jamie.

I’m sure most of you are already acquainted with our hero now personified…but for those of you not on social media, allow me to introduce you to Mr. Sam Heughan, born April 30, 1980 in New Galloway, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

(That’s one day off of Jamie’s birthday, for those paying attention.)

Triathlon Jamie

There’s a ton of status updates and blog posts detailing Mr. Heughan’s suitability for his new role.  I won’t go into his full bio and stat sheet here…that’s been done to death in the past 96 hours.  But if you’re in the dark about this talented actor, or still unsure about his ability to carry off the larger-than-life personality of James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, I suggest you begin your web search on Diana’s Facebook page.

She’s seen his audition tapes, and she’s convinced.  He’s her Jamie.

He’s also a triathlete…which is why he needs these OK Peanut Butter & Banana Power Bars, ken?

bananas for peanut butter power bars

Yeah, it’s a banana!  OK has done a Slippery Nipple, Bonnet’s Balls and a Poached Peach for Dougal — do you think I’m beyond posting a banana beneath our new Jamie?

No.  Of course I’m not.

While we’re at it, laddie, why don’t ye show us your thumbs and great toes?

JUST KIDDING.  You poor man.  You’re going to need that Fraser sense of humour to get through this first bit with us — it’s just that it’s been so long, ye see — and now that the time has finally come to bring you into our physical world, some of us are having a little trouble containing our excitement.

We’ll calm down.  Eventually.

Welcome to our world…it really is great to have you on the voyage!

peanut butter power bars

In the meantime, we should all fuel up for the next round of casting…speculation and intrigue burn calories faster than a swim in frigid water followed by a bike and run.  Or so I like to think.

These bars are a delicious way to fuel up before a workout. The bananas make them soft, the oats and peanut butter (or any nut butter) chewy, and they’re a great gluten-free, lightly sweet snack that you can wrap up for picnics and school lunches.  Vary the mix of nuts, seeds and dried fruit to make a new creation every batch!  The possibilities are endless.

To see what I put in mine, scroll to the Notes below the recipe.

peanut butter power bars

This recipe’s for you, Sam.  If Fedex went to the Arctic Circle, I’d send you a batch.  You’re going to need every bit of energy you can get…

Peanut Butter Power Bars for Sam Heughan as JAMMF

He’s tall and lean – like a triathlete – not a wrestler, aye?

Yield: 9-10 Bars or Squares

• Bananas, very ripe – 2
  • Rolled Oats – 1 Cup
  • Nut Butter (Peanut, Almond, Cashew) – ½ Cup
  • Chopped Nuts – ½ Cup (Pecans, Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, Hazelnuts)
  • Seeds (Pumpkin, Sesame, SunflowerPoppy, Flax) – ¼ Cup
  • Dried Fruit (Raisins, Dates, Cranberries, Cherries, Apricots, Berries) – ¼ Cup
  • Shredded coconut – ¼ Cup
  • Chocolate Chips – ¼ Cup (Optional)
  • Honey – 2 Tble
  • Vanilla – ½ tsp
  • Salt – ½ tsp

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line an 8’x8’ baking pan with parchment — you must use parchment, or you’ll never get them out of the pan.

Mash the bananas with a fork in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well until everything is well combined.

Spread the batter evenly into your prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden and the top is just beginning to brown.  Allow to cool COMPLETELY before cutting into bars.   Store, covered, up to 5 days.

Ith gu leòir! (Eat Plenty)

• This is a recipe where you can let your imagination fly!  Make each batch different until you find your favourite
  • I used pecans, 3 Tble pumpkin seeds & 1 Tble sesame seeds, dates, coconut and some high quality semi-sweet chocolate
  • This recipe is all over the internet in one form or another. I adapted mine from the one I found here.
  • To make this recipe vegan, omit the honey or substitute it with brown sugar or other sweetener.

1. Carla O R
    July 11, 2013 at 7:37 am

Yummy! This sounds perfect for my pre-dawn meals in Ramadan. Definitely trying this one.

July 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm

great idea, Carla!

• Carla O R
      July 12, 2013 at 6:23 am

I made some yesterday. I used almond butter, chopped almonds and pine nuts, pumpkin seeds and black seeds, dates and cranberries. The black seeds add an interesting flavor (in a good way).

July 13, 2013 at 9:48 am

They sound wonderful, Carla! By black seeds, do you mean poppy? or maybe chia?

2. Mary Morgan
    July 11, 2013 at 7:42 am

I wasn’t sure about the casting of Sam for our Jamie, but when I saw other photos and when Diana gave him a “thumbs up,” I knew he was the one. Just looking at the photo above gives me goosebumps. I am definitely going to make these power bars. I think I’ll try adding salted soy nuts to my batch….

July 13, 2013 at 9:51 am

Make the recipe your own, Mary…and make it delicious! Theresa

3. Aaron
    July 11, 2013 at 7:59 am

I will be trying these really soon! I just got back 63lbs of pecans from the sheller! Wonder how many bars that would make?

July 13, 2013 at 9:51 am

holy doodle, Aaron! You must have some big trees! I think you could feed an army with those power bars.

4. Julie Galvin
    July 11, 2013 at 8:52 am

I’m trying these power bars today! They look great.

July 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

Great news, Julie! Hope you like them

5. Ellen Hanvey Wooster
    July 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

These look and sound absolutely wonderful! Thinking
    a combination of dates, pecans, sesame seed and flax with the coconut….yum. Thanks for the recipe.

July 13, 2013 at 9:50 am

that sounds close to my mix, Ellen — and it was delicious!

6. sireesanwar
    July 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

Yum. And I find it a little funny that it is important that Sam’s birthday is April 30. But I thought that was cool too. Oh the minds of us Outlander fans.

July 13, 2013 at 9:49 am

It’s not important…but it’s a fun sign, aye?

• sireesanwar
      July 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

Yes. I agree with that.

7. JustHeather
    July 11, 2013 at 12:34 pm

8. Dee
    July 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm

these look awesome! i’m working on dialing in my nutrition for my upcoming half-ironman (October) so these are going in the rotation for testing purposes

July 13, 2013 at 9:49 am

Wow, Dee! Impressive! I hope these work for you.

• Dee
      July 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

i’ll let you know 😉 that is the plan for this week – i have a sprint in a few that i can going to test some stuff during

9. Taking On Magazines
    July 12, 2013 at 4:10 am

I’m such a bad fan. I had no idea they’d picked Jamie. Now I have to go check out this guy. From what I see here, I think I’d be willing to hand deliver a batch of the power bars to him for you, even if Fed Ex DOES deliver!

July 13, 2013 at 9:48 am

He’s currently filming above the arctic circle, Christiane…knock yourself out! LOL

• leigh
      July 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I have to say the same as Christine; still too caught up in my move search (if anyone has any ideas about a town perhaps in Northeast New England, low cost of living, public transportation that’s not far from a large teaching hospital?). Sam has the blue eyes, but what about the hair? I have to admit, I had a dream casting in mind with Gwynneth Paltrow as the young Claire, her mum, Blythe Danner as the older Claire, the actor from Torchwood (who’s Scottish despite his American accent) as Roger, and the hopes that they’d sort of bounce back and forth from present to past (and then the sequels could go on from there), Unfortunately, I couldn’t think of anyone to play either Jamie, even tho I had nearly ever other character cast in my mind (sigh). Oh well, I’m sure I’ll love it anyway. Thanks for keeping us updated, Theresa!

July 19, 2013 at 10:18 am

Hair can be changed with hair dye…I’m personally very excited to see Sam bring Jamie to life.

10. littlewhiteapron
    July 12, 2013 at 8:45 am

These were delicious (even though I forgot to add the oats, LOL)!!!! I’ll definitely be making them again, with the oats this time!!!

July 13, 2013 at 9:47 am

nothing like a little distraction in the kitchen, eh? I forgot the salt in mine (if we’re in full disclosure mode)…and they were still delicious too! LOL

11. Jeanne
    July 12, 2013 at 8:57 am

Thanks Theresa. A fitting culinary ode to our Sam!

July 13, 2013 at 9:46 am

I’m glad you approve! 🙂

12. Carla O R
    July 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm

By black seeds I mean Nigella Sativa, also called black cumin. It’s very popular among Muslims because the Prophet Muhammad had said that it can cure every illness except death. Here is the wiki link

July 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Aaah! Thank you, Carla! Very interesting.

13. Sharon Higgins
    July 14, 2013 at 5:28 pm

These look delicious and healthy. I might make them for my next sorority meeting. The ladies love to try new things.

14. lesley
    July 17, 2013 at 2:30 am

Hi Theresa,

And can he “Cup a good sized marrow in those hands of his. Or a good sized arse hm?”

The power bars look fab they are on my to make list.

15. DonnaC
    July 20, 2013 at 7:57 am

These are delicious! I used pecans, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds; they turned out softer than I thought they would be, perhaps b/c I used homemade peanut butter. No matter, everyone loved them and I will make them again. Thanks for the recipe!

July 20, 2013 at 9:51 am

Great news, Donna! You can always throw a few more oats in there if you want them a little stiffer.

16. Elle
    August 23, 2014 at 9:57 am

In recipes that call for oats – rolled or steel cut – does it make a difference if the oats are ‘instant’ or ‘quick cooking’? or do they have to be ‘original’?

17. Theresa K.
    August 23, 2014 at 8:34 pm

It’s gluten free! Yes!!! I’ll need to sub out the oats, but that shouldn’t be too hard. Awesome recipe! Thanks!

18. Marsi Yount
    September 15, 2014 at 7:21 am

Hi this may be a crazy question but is there any way to make this diabetic friendly?

September 15, 2014 at 7:33 am

I’m not a dietician, so I don’t know. Maybe google “diabetic friendly power bars” and look at a couple of recipes to compare?

19. Alice Watkins
    November 22, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Speaking of vegetable marrows what type of vegetable is that to us yanks? I knew at one time and have forgotten. The dictionary says squash or gourd so is it a pumpkin? I’m asking here because I know I will get an Outlander foodie to give a fellow Outlander foodie the answer. Thanks in advance. Also the bars look yummy.

November 23, 2014 at 8:41 am

Alice, vegetable marrow is a member of the Cucurbita family of plants, which includes all squashes, pumpkins, gourds, etc. Vegetable marrows can be both summer and winter squashes…spaghetti squash is an example of a winter marrow. My Danish grandmother grew a type of pale (summer) vegetable marrow in her garden. It’s not terribly popular now, I think because of it’s rather “weak” taste…but my grandma made a stuffed marrow dish with ground beef, tomatoes, etc. that was to die for.

20. pam
    January 26, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hear he has a penchant for almond butter but not for baked goods. Wonder if he’d make an exception.

January 26, 2015 at 4:44 pm

He eats power bars…plenty of photos. 🙂

21. Danielle
    May 17, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I made these last night and am wondering if they are supposed to be soft or crunchy once they’ve cooled?

May 17, 2015 at 7:36 pm

The longer you bake them, the crunchier they’ll be

• Danielle F
      May 18, 2015 at 8:00 am

Thank you very much I will try cooking them a little longer!!

22. Anna Lapping
    August 25, 2015 at 10:55 am

I got an amazing new mortar and pestle recently, but for the life of me, I can’t even imagine trying to make peanut butter in one! I did basil pesto in it and thought my arm would fall off before I finished!