Black Jack Randall’s Lavender Fudge for Tobias Menzies

Black Jack Randall’s Lavender Fudge for Tobias Menzies

Beyond the Books, Outlander

The trembling did begin to ease within a minute or two, and Jamie opened his eyes with a sigh.

I’m all right,” he said.  “Claire, I’m all right, now.  But for God’s sake, get rid of that stink!”

It was only then that I consciously noticed the scent in the room – a light, spicy floral smell, so common a perfume that I had thought nothing of it.  Lavender.  A scent for soaps and toilet waters.  I had last smelled it in the dungeons of Wentworth Prison, where it anointed the linen or the person of Captain Jonathon Randall.

Diana Gabaldon, Outlander (Chapter 38 – The Abbey)

It’s tough to match Black Jack Randall to food.  His tasteless and despicable nature leave most of us without much of an appetite, am I right?

You may have noticed the excerpt I chose leaves BJR in the somewhat distant third person.  I’ve been through every passage in Outlander that mention him and lavender together, and this is as close as I could get to the man himself without wanting to toss my cookies.

tobias-menzies

Of course, I could have gone with a Frank scene to welcome Tobias Menzies to his new roles in Outlander on Starz, but that felt a little like taking the easy way out.

Tobias has some tough scenes to get through in his first season; the least I can do is come up with a recipe worthy of all his future efforts.

Just looking through a list of his previous work should tell you he’s ready for both of his new roles.  From Edmure Tully in Game of Thrones, to Brutus in Rome (both from HBO), and many, many roles in between, Tobias seems to be OK with being the bad guy on the screen.

I think we’re going to love every minute of hating him.

Chocolate for Lavender Fudge

I came up with the idea for this lavender fudge last year, and had intended to save it for the Outlander Kitchen cookbook – (there’s talk, but nothing definite yet) – but I couldn’t let the news of Tobias’s casting go by without giving him a recipe of his own.

After all, Our Sam got his own recipe when he was cast as Jamie, and fair is fair, even when you’re talking about Johnathan and Frank Randall.Lavender Fudge Basket

I took a batch to my share with my local book club when we read Outlander in the summer of 2012.  It was a big hit, especially paired with a wee nip. Chocolate and whisky go together like Young Ian and Rachel.

It’s what I like to call “cheater” fudge.  The can of condensed milk makes the process a whole lot easier than traditional fudge, which involves boiling sugar, a candy thermometer, and paying very close attention to the pot, which can change from delicious to disaster faster than you can say “Jesus H Roosevelt Christ!”

If you’ve never cooked with lavender before, here’s a couple of tips:  First, choose an English variety (Lavandula angustifolia) over a French one (Lavandula stoechas).  While the latter is great for sachets, the former is the only choice for culinary projects.  Second, ensure your buds come from an unsprayed bush.  If you’re not harvesting your own, a specialty spice store is probably your best bet for purchase.  Red Stick Spice Company in Baton Rouge is one of my favourite online sources for spices, and have lavender available here.

Lavender Fudge

Black Jack Randall’s Chocolate Lavender Fudge

Easy dark chocolate (cheater) fudge lightly scented with lavender.

Yield:  2 lbs

• Bittersweet or Semi-Sweet Chocolate, in chips or small bits – 1 lb (450 g)
  • Baking Soda – ½ tsp (3 ml)
  • Salt – pinch
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk – 14 oz can (400 ml)
  • Edible Lavender Blossoms – 1 Tble (15 ml)

Line an 8” or 9” pan with wax paper or parchment.

Toss the chocolate with the baking soda and salt.  Pour into a heavy saucepan, add the sweetened condensed milk and melt over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to start, then more frequently as it melts.  When melted and smooth, remove from heat and stir in the lavender, crushing the buds between your fingertips as you drop them into the pan.  Stir to combine, then spread evenly in the prepared pan.

Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until firm. Remove from the fudge from the pan, peel off paper and cut into 1” squares.

To Serve:  Garnish with additional lavender flowers.  Perfect as an afternoon pick-me-up with coffee or tea.

To Store:  Wrap well and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.

• The better the quality of chocolate you start with, the richer and tastier your finished fudge will be.  I used free-trade, organic bittersweet baking chocolate from Cocoa Camino.

1. Aaron Brown
    August 26, 2013 at 5:50 am

that just looks and sounds wonderful!

August 27, 2013 at 7:45 am

Thank you, Aaron! I have to say, it’s pretty darn good.

• Su
      September 14, 2014 at 11:27 am

Looks delicious. However, I would seriously consider calling this Black Jack Randal’s Devilishly Dark Dungeon Lavender Fudge. Long name but fits perfectly for the sodomy lusting sadist he is!

2. Wendy Watson
    August 26, 2013 at 7:27 am

OOOOhhhhh. Just saying fudge makes one feel slightly naughty anyway. So it is a perfect edible symbol to accompany BJR, since we love to hate him so much. My mom made fudge every Christmas as gifts (always what YOU call cheater, I just assumed it was the BEST way to make fudge) since she was a consummate baker, cake decorator, confectioner. Love your site!

August 27, 2013 at 7:46 am

I’m glad you got where I was going with the fudge, Wendy…(big smile)

3. Alylene
    August 26, 2013 at 10:24 am

I can’t wait to make this, Black Jack is such a creep, but in honor of Tobias and Frank I will definetly add this to my lists of Fudge. I know it will be great, I love your recipes, you are so creative.

August 27, 2013 at 7:45 am

Thanks so much, Alylene!

4. LynnS
    August 26, 2013 at 10:53 am

I’m glad that you specified that these are for Tobias Menzies, rather than for Jack Randall! BJR doesn’t deserve chocolate!

August 27, 2013 at 7:45 am

“No fudge for you!” said the Chocolate Nazi to BJR. 🙂

• Julia
      May 29, 2015 at 5:03 am

Hahahahaha you love Seinfeld also! Love your work Theresa but hate to have to admit I haven’t actually tried any of your Outlanderish baking yet 🙁 I swear, every time I look at food pictures and then read the recipes, I put on weight. So not fair! So thanks for keep me just looking for a while longer 🙂

5. ML
    August 26, 2013 at 11:07 am

You will not belive me but this very morning a package arrived that I ordered and it has a growing book for lavender & a cookbook for Lavender & a half pound of culinary lavender & just to make things more interesting two ounces of the extract. I tell you it was an Outlandish wave length, I had been planning to order the gardening book as I have not been able to get my lavender to survive the winters. So I saw a book I thought i would get and that led to the other four items in my order. Well I thought lavender syrup would be the first thing I made but lavender fudge mmm I thought the lavender brownie recipe in the book sounded good, but I already baked a pan of brownies yesterday so that has to wait. I am fairly sure I have everything in the house to make this, but I do have to finish pickling my string beans I picked. Where is my clone?????

August 27, 2013 at 7:44 am

I do believe you! And there is no such thing as a coincidence…you have to make this fudge! Good luck with the beans. 🙂

• ML
      August 28, 2013 at 9:53 am

Made the fudge yesterday and it is wonderful. I may have let it get a bit to hot so don’t take my train of thought and be multitasking. I sent half to work with the DH. But I was making a honey lavender syrup, and I left it to strain overnight and just bottled it up this morning it is very tasty too, I will try another syrup without the honey & vanilla sugar next time so as to just get the lavender tast alone. The book I have also has a recipe for lavender truffles, I want to try to make that. The first time I ever tasted lavender was in a truffle, and I was hooked. But it will take a bit for the DH and I to eat up this fudge and whatever I decide to make with the syrup. I may try the truffles in a week or two. So my Outlandish cooking cyber friends I recommend the fudge, but I would bet you did not need my vote, and you are all eating a piece in the morning when the kids are not watching. And on another point how is everyone’s Cherry bounce coming along?

August 31, 2013 at 9:39 am

you’re a lavender-infusing machine, ML! I love having fun in the kitchen…

• ML
      August 31, 2013 at 10:43 am

Made a second batch, Yep everyone liked it at the office so I had to send more in and keep the house stocked with the next batch. I was sSurprised that the office workers sent home wonderful comments with the DH. I guess I thought they would be skeptical about lavender in food. But when I send cookies during the holidays I will be able to use some of my lavender cookie recipes. Thanks again for the inspiration.
      Mary Lou

6. Lorna
    August 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Looks delicious! I’ll have to make some for MY book club, even if we’re not reading Outlander (yet).

August 27, 2013 at 7:43 am

Maybe a good piece of fudge will convince them, Lorna!

7. jeannenme
    August 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hi Theresa,

This looks absolutely scrumptious! You are so right about chocolate and whisky. I’m pulling for you and your cookbook…
    Slainte, Tobias!

Best,

Jeanne

August 27, 2013 at 7:42 am

Thanks Jeanne! I did a whisky/chocolate tasting at Tullibardine near Stirling in May, and was totally sold on the combo!

8. Martha J.
    August 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Part of what makes OK so great is your commentary, like this one: “It was a big hit, especially paired with a wee nip. Chocolate and whisky go together like Young Ian and Rachel.”

That made me laugh! At first I thought Ian is the whisky and Rachael is the sweet chocolate. Then I remembered how much Ian liked the hot chocolate that [Claire? Brianna?] made for him. Maybe Ian is the chocolate and Rachael is the potent whisky? Anyway, thanks for another _great_ entry on OK!

August 31, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thanks for that, Martha! I love writing on OK…DG gives me a lot of inspiration!

9. Nicki
    September 2, 2013 at 5:38 pm

hey there I nominated you for a award just check out my blog for more info 😀

September 2, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Do you have a link to your blog, Nicki? That would help me find it. 🙂

10. Frannie
    September 4, 2013 at 8:23 am

What does the baking soda do? (just curious…)

September 5, 2013 at 7:10 am

It lightens the texture of the fudge, Frannie.

11. Kathy Bubb Baker
    June 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

Can’t wait to make it! Absolutely loved it in Seattle! I am not a fudge person. It is usually is too sweet, but this recipe is WONDERFUL!!!! Thanks, Theresa!

June 23, 2014 at 9:18 am

I love that kind of feedback, Kathy! Thank you for letting me know.

12. Susan
    August 8, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Have been perusing all your recipes as I’ve just discovered your website. Love reading your comments. A note for lavender buffs – you MUST try making lavender ice cream! If you use fresh lavender, leave the buds in the ice cream for a delightful surprising burst of flavor. Inspiration from BJR notwithstanding, lavender is a gift to the senses.

13. Carol
    January 19, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Chocolate and whisky go together like Young Ian and Rachel. I love this! I know chocolate & wine goes together… now, I’ll have to try it with whisky! 🙂

14. Marie
    April 4, 2015 at 11:25 pm

I just made this for the second half season premier. I’ve never made any fudge before and took a chance using fat free sweetened condensed milk instead. It was still delicious! A fantastic and rediculously easy way to satisfy the difficult-to-defeat craving for rich chocolate. I put lavender into almost everything already but it never occured to me to put it into fudge. Thanks for this recipe!

15. Kelly Pierrot
    May 6, 2015 at 8:02 am

Hey there Theresa, I apologize upfront as I know I have already asked you this question, and I have misplaced the information 🙁 … I need to make @ 20 3oz servings of this fudge for a gathering I am having for my local group… do you have any idea how many batches I would need to make? Thanks!!!

May 6, 2015 at 8:21 am

To be honest, I don’t remember…I made a couple of suggestions, you had your own plans. I suggested measuring the containers and comparing them against the measurements of the pan in the recipe. You’ll get a very close estimate that way. Good luck.

16. Tory
    August 2, 2015 at 9:03 am

This recipe is wonderful!! I was looking for a recipe to use up some of the lavender from my garden and remembered reading this a while ago… I served little squares of this on a silver platter with some scottish shortbread and a few spicy ginger snaps… And of course a nip of scotch (Talisker Dark Storm!). We had a few of my husband’s male friends over who were skeptical about the lavender fudge, but after sampling a politeness bite, they all exclaimed praises and tucked in for seconds, thirds… I had to refill my little pile of squares TWICE!! Especially amazing paired with the scotch – a big win. And so ridiculously easy to prepare. This recipe is sure to become a staple at our house! Thank you so much!!!

August 3, 2015 at 10:35 am

That’s great! I’m glad everyone loved it…Storm is a favourite around here!

17. ChefKitty
    May 28, 2016 at 12:50 pm

This sounds amazing. Lavender is my favorite herb. I make lavender lattes, infused honey and vinegar, cookies, everything. I had not thought about lavender fudge. I am off to the store for a pound of chocolate! I have the lavender. I can’t grow it in hot, humid South Florida so I buy the dried flowers. Always on hand. I can taste this with Dalmore Cigar Malt Scotch. Yummy!

May 30, 2016 at 9:18 am

Yes! It’s lovely with a smoky whisky.