A Wee Dram of Lagavulin to Toast Caitriona Balfe as Claire

A Wee Dram of Lagavulin to Toast Caitriona Balfe as Claire

Beyond the Books

“Don’t imagine you take water, do you, Roger?”

“No.” It was Lagavulin; astonishing to find it in Boston. He sipped appreciatively, and the doctor smiled.

“Claire gave it to me—Bree’s mama. Now, there was a woman with a taste for fine whisky.” He shook his head nostalgically, and raised his glass in tribute.

“Slàinte,” Roger said quietly, and tipped his own glass before drinking. Abernathy closed his eyes in silent appreciation—whether of the whisky or the woman, Roger couldn’t tell.

Diana Gabaldon, Drums of Autumn, (Chapter 5 – Two Hundred Years from Yesterday)

Are you as deliriously stunned as I?  I wasn’t expecting to meet Claire for a few weeks, at least.  And then, yesterday, she was suddenly there.

My first glance convinced me that Caitriona Balfe could be My Claire — Our Claire — and ever since, every picture I’ve seen has drawn me a little further in.  I can see myself now, perched in front of the TV, Outlandish snacks in hand, waiting for the premiere episode to begin.  Waiting for Claire to fall through the stones.claire-laga

One of the things we (should) learn about Claire in that first episode is her appreciation for a good single malt.  Even while Frank is checking the ewer in their room at Mrs. Baird’s for a little water to lighten his late-night dram, Claire is spiritedly sipping her share of the whisky, neat.

If you want to go all out for a premiere party,  there’s no finer whisky with which to toast Caithan than Lagavulin 16 YO.  I’ve sampled a good selection of single malts since starting Outlander Kitchen almost two years ago, and it’s at the top.

Be warned, it’s also the one of the most expensive bottles on the shelf.    More doesn’t always mean better, but in this case, the extra few dollars buys you an enjoyably complex mix of layers – peat, smoke, sweet, spice – it’s all there, in a well-balanced, dark amber nectar that very few other single malts can match.

Welcome to our Outlander Wonderland, Caitriona!  I think you’re probably packing as I type, in a desperate rush to fit your life into a couple of bags and travel across a continent and ocean to your new home at Castle Leoch.

I see that you’ve gained 3000+ Twitter followers in less than 24 hours.  Dinna fash lass, we’re not as scary as we first come across.  We’re just here to see you off on this adventure, and toast you with a dram worthy of comparison with your gorgeous (soon to be) whisky-coloured eyes.

1. Julie Sheil
    September 12, 2013 at 3:26 am

Beautifully said Outlander Kitchen! Welcome Caitriona.

• Jeanne
      September 12, 2013 at 9:03 am

Fáilte Caitriona! Perfect post Theresa! Lagavulin is one that I haven’t tried yet. I like the Glenfarclas 105, wonder how this is in comparison. (envious of your glass)! I’ll join you in a wee dram for the premiere. Sláinte!

2. Aaron Brown
    September 12, 2013 at 5:05 am

3. yvette
    September 12, 2013 at 7:20 am

Oooh – what a good idea – a premiere party. Or can I just come to yours? 🙂 Your ability to find the perfect passage always amazes me.

Yes, Caitriona, you’re probably safe with all us crazy Outlander Fans. Your poor TV husband, on the other hand. . . not sure about that! I just love your beautiful name too – my daughter is a Katherine.

4. teresamd
    September 12, 2013 at 7:35 am

She’s an absolute gift to the Outlander world! Slainte, Caitriona!

5. littlewhiteapron
    September 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

Welcome Caitriona! Sláinte!

6. Karla Mika
    September 12, 2013 at 9:03 am

Wonderful, warm welcome! I shall be ready to toast her with my cherry bounce which has been blending with Lagavulin 16 these past few months. Should be perfect in time for the premiere!

7. G-LO
    September 12, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hey there!

My wife is a HUGE Outlander series fan, so I’ll have to tell her about your blog.

Regarding Lagavulin, it is indeed a fabulous dram. It was my favorite for a very long time, but then others came into the fold that are a bit less expensive, yet equally delicious. Have you tried other Islays? Ardbeg, Laphroiag, Bowmore, and the new kid on the block, Kilchoman, are all superb. As is Caol Ila and Bruichladdich. If you want something with no smoke, yet still delicious, try the Bunnahabhain 12. It’s become a favorite of mine. Also, try Talisker 10 and anything from Highland Park. Great stuff all around! And thank you for using my photo and for linking back to the blog.

8. Barbie
    September 12, 2013 at 5:57 pm

A beautiful welcome for a beautiful Claire.

9. Vicki B
    September 13, 2013 at 12:19 pm

A lovely welcome to a lovely Claire! I haven’t tried Lagavulin yet either, my favourite so far is Glenmorangie aged in Sherry casks (12 year old). As for the glass, we gave a set of four to herself a couple of years ago, and they are available, in fine gift shops or on line. It is called The Glencairn nosing and tasting crystal glass. See you in Surrey Theresa!

10. denizb33