Outlander Kitchen’s Banoffee Pie

Outlander Kitchen’s Banoffee Pie

It started with a few tweets and a couple of pictures.

Soon, it had ballooned into a full-blown Banoffee Pie obsession that quickly spread from the cast & crew in the UK to those of us following along on the other side of the pond.

Capture

“What is Banoffee?” people were asking.

Most of the answer is in the name…bananas and toffee.  Add a cookie/biscuit crust and some whipped cream on top, and you have a dessert for the ages.  Or maybe Thanksgiving this Thursday?

condensed-milk-boil

The toffee in a banoffee is actually dulce de leche, aka caramelized condensed milk.  I’ve been making dulce in the slow cooker for years, but that takes the better part of a day, including cooling time.

My decision to make a pie was rather last minute, so I cut the time to less than half by making it on the stove top.  Alternatively, there are even faster methods than simmering it in the can.  Check out 9 Ways to Make Dulce De Leche.

Or, you could always just buy a jar at a specialty/high-end grocery store.

banoffee-crust

Next is the crust, usually made from crushed digestive biscuits and some melted butter.  I didn’t have any biscuits in the house, but I do have Mrs. Graham’s recipe for digestives, so I made (roughly) half a batch of dough, pressed that into the pan and baked it until crisp.

I was in the kitchen watching my dulce boil away, so making the cookie crust this way was no bother at all.  However, if you’re looking for a less-labour instensive crust, you can crush cookies in your food processor, then mix in enough melted butter so that it holds together in the pan.  No baking required.

Of course, if you’re really in a hurry, there are always those pre-made graham cracker crusts.  Your Outlander Kitchen is full of options…you’re in charge!banana-dulce-de-leche

Once those two components are made, all there is left to do is slice some bananas, whip some cream, grate a little chocolate, and then put it all together.

As My Englishman is fond of saying, “Easy peasy, fresh and squeezy!”

<Sigh.>  Even after twenty years, that accent gets me every time.  No matter what comes out of his mouth.

But that’s enough about my relationship.  Go make yourself some pie.  My recipe is below.

banoffee pie

(Click on the link below for a printable version of the recipe.)

Outlander Kitchen’s Banoffee Pie

:Digestive cookie crust, dulce de leche and banana centre, all topped with whipped cream. Sweet, gooey and delicious.

Yield:  8” Pie or Tart

Crust:

• Rolled Oats – ½ Cup (125 ml)
  • All-Purpose or Whole-Wheat Flour –  ½ Cup (125 ml)
  • Brown Sugar – ¼ Cup, lightly packed (60 ml)
  • Butter – ¼ Cup, cubed (60 ml)
  • Milk – 1 Tble (15 ml)

Filling:

• Condensed Milk – 1 can
  • Bananas – 2 large or 3 small

Topping:

• Whipping Cream – 1 Cup (250 ml)
  • Sugar – 1 Tble (15 ml)
  • Semi-Sweet Chocolate, grated or chips – for garnish

Read the recipe through at least once before you begin.

For the dulce de leche: Punch 2 small holes in the top of the can of condensed milk with the tip of a can opener. (This will prevent the can from exploding.)  Place the can in a saucepan and fill with water to reach within 1” (2.5 cm) of the top of the can. Bring the water to a simmer over medium high, then reduce to medium low to maintain a gentle simmer.

A bit of the milk will bubble up onto the top of the can, that’s fine.  Do not allow the water to boil over the top of the can.  Simmer for about 3.5 hours, topping up with boiling water from a kettle to keep the water level consistent.

Remove from the pan with tongs, wipe the top clean and cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes.  When the can is/are cool enough to handle, open and pour/scrape the contents into a bowl.  Whisk well until smooth and homogeneous.

For the crust:  Move the rack to the middle and heat the oven to 350°F. (175°C).

Grind oats in a food processor or coffee grinder until a fine powder.  Mix ground oats, flour and brown sugar in a bowl.  Add butter and mix with your fingertips until well incorporated and no big lumps of butter remain.  Add milk and mix well to moisten every crumb.

Press the dough into an 8” tart pan or pie plate (see notes).  Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the edge of the crust is golden and the centre firm.  Cool completely on a rack.

Assembly:  Spoon the dulce de leche into the crust and smooth with a spatula.  Chill in the fridge until firm.  Whip the cream and sugar to soft peaks.  Slice the bananas and arrange in a layer on top of the dulce de leche.  Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate.

Chill until ready to serve.

Ith gu leòir! (Eat Plenty)

• Set the can of condensed milk on a small ring of foil to keep it from rattling on the bottom of the pan.  Not necessary, but quieter.
  • You can also make the dulce de leche in a crockpot if you prefer.  Recipe here.  Note:  this method takes 8 hours, plus time to cool, but does not require constant attention.
  • My dulce de leche was a bit too loose.  I cooked it for 3 hours.  3.5 hours will be just right.
  • If using a tart pan, keep about ¼ Cup (60 ml) of the dough aside for another use (mini fruit crumble?), otherwise the crust will be too thick. Use all of the dough if using a pie plate, which has higher sides.

I am a professional chef, a food writer and an unabashed fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

1. Pam Rutter

Your Banoffee Pie is so beautiful!! I can’t wait to try it again using your recipe and methods. And you made yours so pretty…I didn’t make the bananas pretty because I didn’t even think of that! Your whipped cream is gorgeous on top…again mine was just piled on top! But I am most excited to try your dulce de leche method because yours uses a lot less sugar!

You make cooking and baking fun! Your pictures are fabulous too!

Thank, Pam! I love what I do.

2. littlewhiteapron

Beautiful!!! This just might make an appearance at my Thanksgiving table. Thanks!

I love recipe trading with you, my dear.

3. April Steele

Looks and sounds delicious! I think I actually have all of the supplies on hand… I am guessing if I make the dulce de leche and crust on Tuesday, I could let it set up in the fridge and then add the bananas and whipped cream on Wednesday so we can eat it for dessert on Thanksgiving? Perhaps I will just buy a packet of Digestives at the store if I am back in there. The manager lady at the local supermarket is counting how many times I pop in there this week. I was in there Friday, and twice on Saturday. I almost went back on Sunday morning for more cupcake liners…but as I knew they didn’t have any that suited my fancy, I tried the dollar store and was successful.

Your plan to make it ahead of time then finish just before is a great one, April! As long as the sliced bananas are covered with whipped cream, they won’t go brown. Happy Thanksgiving!

• April Steele

Thanks! Dulce de Leche in the pressure came out PERFECTLY at 50 mins…though for the size of the pie plate I applied my crumb crust (I did the Digestives in my food processor) to, it seems a bit low in volume… I am now making up the second can I had in reserve so that it won’t be so thin. May not use all of the second can, though.

If there’s any leftovers in that can, keep them in a small covered bowl. Wonderful spread on apple slices!

4. Stacy

sounds so yummy!!!

It is verra, verra good. :)

5. Vicki

Thank you! How is banoffee pronounced, please? I will try this for Thanksgiving for something different. I will let you know my results!

It’s a combination of banana and toffee…ban-offee. :)

6. Aaron

Oh my! Now I know what all the twittering was about! Thank you for sharing.

I know your version will be beautiful when and if you make this, Aaron!

7. jeannenme

Awesome recipe. Can’t wait to make it! Thanks Theresa.

8. Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines

I missed this when you first posted it, even though I’m following you via Bloglovin’. Don’t know how that happened because this is definitely not a dessert I would want to miss! It looks amazing.

I just posted it this morning, Christiane! Dinna fash. LOL

9. Carol Mackey

Sounds great, Theresa. It’s nice to know what Dulce de Leche is, I feel like a dunce for not knowing at my age, and me working on the Greats! When I was young (and the world was new :)), I remember hearing a tale about the Sisters baking cans of condensed milk for dessert; now I know why! lol! Thanks a ‘bunch.’ <3

Glad you learned something today, Carol! I count everyday a success whenever I learn something new. ;)

10. Rachel Ridge Feuerbach

Don’t you have to use sweetened condensed milk? Anyway, I’m glad I can just go to the store here in Tucson and buy dulce de leche in the can!

There is no such thing as unsweetened condensed milk in North America…are you perhaps thinking of canned evaporated milk? That has no sugar.

11. Trish

A friend made this for a potluck last Friday, and it was DELISH. When she made her whipped cream, she kept the sugar WAAAAY down, because she felt that the dulce de leche was more than sweet enough. It was all just so good!

I sweetened my cream, but your friend’s idea is good too!

• April Steele

I never put much sugar in my whipped cream as it is almost always going on something sweet.

To each their own – I thought the amount I used was perfect!

12. Jennifer Lawson

I’m allergic to bananas. What would be a good non-fruit alternative? Or should I just skip them?

How about sliced baked apples? That’s the first thing that comes to mind.

13. Nellie

Wondering if a chocolate crust would work flavor wise? And would you use chocolate graham crackers for that?

Lots of people have talked about trying chocolate cookies, Nellie! Give it a go — if the graham wafers are coated in chocolate, I wouldn`t use those…I`d use a chocolate wafer cookie, like an Oreo (without the filling)

14. Shari

It’s been awhile since I tried an OK recipe…this one (assuming I don’t mess it up!) will be on my thanksgiving table.

It’s hard to mess up, Shari! I hope you and the family enjoy it! Oh, and Happy Hannukah while I’m talking to you. :)

15. chtease

Thanks for posting this must-have recipe. I’ve been Googling Banoffee pie for weeks. I’m so glad to have the definitive OK version in my arsenal.

I took a little bit from a few different recipes, and combined them to make the “definitive” OK version!

16. Mariana

I’m Argentinian and I can’t believe I just found a “banana con dulce de leche” pie on Outlander Kitchen!!!!!! It totally made my morning!!
    I love that you name the “dulce” correctly and the way to make it from scratch. But most of all I love the recipe.
    You and your blog are freakin’ awesome!!!!

Thank you Mariana! I’ve been a lover of dulce de leche for many years…yum.

17. Mona Oge

I think I have seen a Dulce de Leche in a can while walking down the Mexican food aisle in San Diego. Any suggestions on a brand?

We’re not lucky enough to have any on the little island I live on, Mona, so I can’t help, I’m afraid. Maybe check the ingredients and pick the “purest” of them?

18. Sarah

I’ve been a long time follower of this site, but this was the first recipe I tried. So SO! good. My guy loves banana cream pie, and I don’t, so I thought I’d give this a go. He declared it his new favorite, and I like it as well, so it was a big hit at our place. My version of “simmering” was much too low to make the dulce de leche. At 4 hours, my boyfriend took over and basically boiled the can. That did the trick!

Glad to hear you both liked it, Sarah!

19. Highland Christmas Cookies | Outlander Kitchen

[…] idea for this project took seed while I was visiting my friend Lori in Louisiana.  We found a set of barnyard animal cookie cutters on my last day in Baton Rouge, and […]

20. Linda Canfield

A wonderful Thanksgiving dessert, used the crock pot method @ 8 hours, Will cut back to 7.5 next time, adding chopped peanuts, more chocolate and eliminating the banana – Snickers pie?
    Thanks for visiting Baton Rouge!

Great ideas, Linda! Make every recipe your own. :)