Cafe Latte Meringue Kisses for Graham McTavish as Dougal

Cafe Latte Meringue Kisses for Graham McTavish as Dougal

Beyond the Books

I’ve got a secret, and I’ve held it inside for too long — time to share.

You see, I’ve developed a bit of a happily married, middle-aged crush on our TV Dougal.

Big, bold and brawly made, Graham McTavish may be missing the russet mane, but his magnificent beard, solid presence on his horse or off, and the fact that he actually manages to pull off wearing a tam, makes my wame tingle with excitement.

© Starz

What makes our relationship so perfect is that TV Dougal and I share a love of fine coffee. While I’m partial to a cappuccino so dry you get a sense of the Mojave, Graham prefers a nice creamy latte (or two) to stay warm when they’re shooting on location.

latte tweet

It seems he’s not the only MacKenzie to gratefully sip on a cup of JOE while waiting for their turn in front of the camera. Say “Venti!” Angus and Rupert!

© Matt B Roberts

These meringue bites are inspired by the Mackenzies’ 21st C caffeine dependency.

Light as milk foam and sweet with a slightly bitter edge, they’re the perfect portable pick-me-up after a long day on set…or raising babies/writing blog posts/pumping gas – whatever it is that fills your day.

For those of you here looking for an April Fool’s post, I’m sorry to say I ran out of time this year.  Here’s a couple from past years to keep you happy, and hopefully laughing:

Neil Forbes’s Smoked Ear

Lord John & Percy’s Man Omelette

Cafe latte meringue kisses

Caffe Latte Meringue Kisses for Graham McTavish as Dougal

Light and sweet bites, with just a hint of that java bitterness you love so much.

• Sugar – ¼ Cup
  • Cornstarch – 1 tsp
  • Egg Whites, large – 2
  • Espresso Extract – 1 to 2 tsp (see notes)
  • Salt – pinch

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine sugar and cornstarch in small bowl.
  2. In standing mixer fitted with whisk, beat egg whites, espresso extract, and salt at high speed until soft peaks just start to form, about 30 to 45 seconds. With mixer running at medium speed, slowly add sugar mixture in steady stream down side of mixer bowl. Stop and scrape down bowl. Return mixer to high speed and beat until glossy, stiff peaks have formed, about 1 minute.
  3. Working quickly, place meringue in pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch plain tip or large zipper-lock bag with 1/2 inch of corner cut off. Pipe meringues into 1” mounds, about 1” high, on baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 60 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Turn off oven and allow meringues to cool in oven for another hour. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature before serving, about 10 minutes.
  5. Store in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
  6. Ith gu leòir! (Eat Plenty)

Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Cooking time: 2 hour(s)

1. Carolin
    April 1, 2014 at 7:48 am

Errrr, I might be just dense, but where exactly is the espresso extract added???? Thanks for enlightening me!

April 1, 2014 at 8:01 am

Nope…it seems I’m the dense one. Never try to write a recipe after midnight. 😉 All fixed! Thanks for letting me know.

2. Jennifer
    April 1, 2014 at 7:53 am

ahhhh, so nice 🙂 A lot of handsome “older” men to share a Latte with 🙂

3. Shana
    April 1, 2014 at 8:28 am

Be sure to let us know if Graham tweets about this! Theresa you continue to amaze me with your creations. Well done lass.

4. Julie
    May 5, 2014 at 8:11 am

Your website is gorgeous, informative, and the recipes look heavenly! I will surely be trying the Dragonfly in Amber Buttered Leeks very soon!

5. saralee
    May 13, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I’m looking forward to Graham McTavish’s Dougal too.
    These meringues sound delicious, and they seem easy enough for me to make! Can’t wait to try them.

6. Juliana @ Urban Simplicity
    August 13, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I’ve gotta say, I’m kinda crushing on Graham/Dougal too, especially after watching the first episode a few times. What a man! I always did find Dougal interesting and Graham just inhabits the character.

August 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

There’s more than a few of us!

7. Jan
    October 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Just curious. I have always used “cream of tartar” to make meringue. This recipe calls for “corn starch”. What is the difference?

October 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Cream of Tartar is an acid. Adding it to egg whites before/during beating can help you to stabilize the whites and get more volume. It’s optional, and can be replaced with lemon juice or vinegar.

Corn Starch added to meringue gives it a “clean snap” when bitten into. It’s a texture thing.

8. Karen
    October 29, 2014 at 6:37 pm

For those of us with espresso makers & want to use the liquid form, how should we adjust the recipe? Thanks!

November 2, 2014 at 10:35 am

Straight espresso won’t work – you could try reducing a Demitasse worth down to a couple of teaspoons and using that. Let me know if you try it!

9. Logan Brueck
    November 24, 2014 at 11:23 am

can you use powdered espresso or instant espresso granules instead?

10. S.A. Young
    March 11, 2016 at 9:11 am

Hi Theresa,
    Have you ever tried this with 1/2 espresso and 1/2 cocoa, for a mocha flavor? (I imagine that it would work fine, just wondering about taste.)

March 12, 2016 at 6:57 am

Never tried it. It will be considerably less creamy, but coffee is always good!

• S.A. Young
      March 12, 2016 at 7:12 am

Thank you for the input. I think I’ll stick to your recipe for my 1st batch (for a season 2 premiere party. Woot! )