World Outlander Day – June 1st

World Outlander Day – June 1st

Beyond the Books, Outlander

What are you doing on Sunday? Early morning cartoons, brunch with friends, church, a wee bit of shopping? All great options, but none so fun as taking the day to celebrate your favourite literary series, aye?!

The idea to give Outlander it’s own very special day came up online a few weeks ago, and after a bit of discussion, June 1 was chosen.  That doesn’t give us a lot of time to prepare for this year, so I’m pretty sure you won’t find an Outlander Parade on Main Street, but there’s always next year for the bigger and grander type of celebrations.

For now, why not take part of your day to find a way to celebrate this epic tale of adventure that we love so much?  Here’s a few ideas to get you started:

06-03outlander_full_600

1. Give the Gift of Outlander – I cruise used book stores looking for old copies of Outlander just for this purpose.  If you’ve given one to everyone you know, why not leave a copy on the bus or in a coffee shop for a stranger? You can even track the book and find out how many times it was shared and how far it traveled!

front

2. Buy the T-shirt – You’ll find Outlander swag everywhere these days!  Search Outlander on Etsy, Zazzle or Cafe Press, and you may end up shopping the day away. One of my favourites at the moment is this Jamie and Claire shirt. All profits go to support World Child Cancer.

10382629_10152051745276949_5045071660102595275_n

3. Subscribe to Starz – You’ve been meaning to do it, right?  Well, time is running out, people!  August 9 is just over 2 months away…it’s time to get your TV ready for the big show! Go on, you know you want to…call (800) 675-1111 or visit the Starz website.

For my fellow Canadians, we need to subscribe to Showcase.  Australians, Outlander is coming to you on SoHo…other countries, stay tuned! Episodes of the show were screened for buyers in LA recently, so more news should be coming soon.

Capture

4. Pre-Order MOBY – Choose the online book seller of your choice, or if you want it signed by Diana, order it from The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale.

stag-pendant-339x500

5. Get Crafty – My friend Aaron from Booth 32 made these stag pendants for a guest post here on Outlander Kitchen a while back. It’s a relatively easy project, and the results are fab!

world outlander day

6. Tell the World on Twitter – Take a minute to tweet your Outlandish love! Include the hashtag #WorldOutlanderDay, and send out your message from 6 to 7pm in your timezone.  That way, we’ll have Outlander tweets going around the world all day – cool, eh?

While you’re at it, change your profile pic on Twitter and Facebook too!  The pic above is a good choice, I think?

photo

7. Plant Something in Your Garden – Embrace your Inner Claire, and get your hands in the earth.

Or, if you’re like me, you could use the day to finish building your garden.  It’s actually a lot further along now, after I spent the day yesterday covering the landscape carpet with 5 cubic yards of gravel, moved one wheelbarrow full at a time, from the front yard. I listened to Davina Porter reading Echo to keep my mind off all that manual labour!  Maybe I’ll build a raised bed or two for Outlander Day…

tusks-sticks-copy

8. Cook up Something Outlandish – from Mrs. Fitz’s Porridge to Quail Cooked in Clay – you could eat Outlander all day, everyday. Check out Outlander Kitchen’s handy Recipe Index to find the dish for you! Personally, I’m going to make up a batch of Murtagh’s Gift to Ellen...cause everyday is better when it includes bacon.

For more information, and more ideas about how to celebrate, check out Outlander Ambassadors.

What do you think of World Outlander Day?  What will you be doing?

1. Judith Kaplan
    May 30, 2014 at 6:00 am

It sounds fun…what i have been doing to prepare for Aug 9 premiere is to read the Speckled Monster which is about the smallpox in the 1700’s. I have already invited my Outlander friends – total of 2 at the moment – to watch the first episode with me. We are thinking of dishes that we can prepare for the event and the ideas here are great!!
    I would like to hear what everyone else is doing too…..

2. Lori
    May 30, 2014 at 6:04 am

Great ideas! Thanks! I’m going to start packing for my trip to Seattle and the Outlander Retreat. See you there!

June 1, 2014 at 7:10 am

I am squeeeing with excitement!

3. Erica
    May 30, 2014 at 6:16 am

These are all fantastic ideas! I know I am planning on getting some baking done today, and Saturday because I will be attending my local springtime renaissance faire on Sunday. I will have to make a point of making sure my guy friends wear their kilts! 😀

June 1, 2014 at 7:10 am

oooh! Fun! Have a fantastic day at the Faire, Erica!

4. Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines
    May 30, 2014 at 8:02 am

I need to get my butt in gear and get on Starz so I can watch it when it comes out! How exciting!!!

June 1, 2014 at 7:09 am

It’s getting closer….

5. Lucia D'Angelo
    May 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Brilliant ideas to celebrate the day! I ordered my MOBY at Barnes & Noble yesterday, I have Starz, I went to the Scottish Festival this past Sunday so my bagpipe music is still floating around in my soul. I will garden on Sunday but also find a way to burn off the calories from the Banofee pie I made.

June 1, 2014 at 7:09 am

You’re an #Outlander extraordinaire, Lucia!

6. scherrie gregoire
    May 30, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I have given away over 4 sets of outlander series books and have read all more than once did not realize there were more like me so enamored with Claire and Jamie .. they are a part of me so yes Sunday will b e celebrated for them thank you all.. UMMMM WE ARE ALL SPECIAL

June 1, 2014 at 7:08 am

Have a great day, Scherrie! You ARE NOT ALONE, #Outlander. 😉

7. Jenna
    May 31, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hi Theresa…So glad to have found your website. My husband and I are having an Outlander Premiere Party on August 9th. Any suggestions on a menu for the evening. The choices are hard to narrow down and I don’t think it will be a small gathering the way things look now! We are in So. Cal and would love any contacts you may know of for groceries or ordering or such. Thank you for any thoughts you may have! Happy Outlander Summer to you 🙂

June 1, 2014 at 7:06 am

I’m so glad you found Outlander Kitchen too, Jenna! I have some premiere night menus planned, and will be posting them in the next couple of months. Get ready for a big night!

8. Christiane
    May 31, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Hello Theresa, love your blog ! WORLD OUTLANDER DAY, fantastic idea ! June,10th will find me hurrying to the British Bookstore in Paris to get my ordered copy of MOBY !…As for the Starz Outlander TV series, still a dream for the time being…Nothing has been announced yet in many European countries…”Fuirich Agus Chi Thu”. Thankyou for you amazing job.

June 1, 2014 at 7:06 am

Enjoy your day, Christiane! I’m sure we’ll all have our noses in our books next week. 🙂

9. Jean Harrison Gobel
    May 31, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Theresa (my daughter’s name also!) I would like to copy your WorldOutlander picture at top of your page – the rectangular, long one – to use as my fb cover picture, if I may, but cannot download it. May I do so, and –How? If I could download it to mypictures, I think I could load it as cover picture — I’m not the most tech savvy :-))
    Thanks! Love your website!

Jean Gobel

June 1, 2014 at 7:05 am

Jean, if you go to the Outlander Kitchen FB page, you’ll find the same photo, formatted for use as a FB cover photo. Click on the pic, then right click on it and choose save. You can then upload it to your FB page from your computer.

10. Carolyn
    May 31, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I think I will do what I normally do. But to good Scottish music of course! 😀

June 1, 2014 at 7:03 am

A perfect, low-key celebration!

11. PAMELA
    May 31, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I’M ALL ABOUT GABALDON AND THE OUTLANDER SERIES!