What are you doing on Sunday? Early morning cartoons, brunch with friends, church, a wee bit of shopping? All great options, but none so fun as taking the day to celebrate your favourite literary series, aye?!
The idea to give Outlander it’s own very special day came up online a few weeks ago, and after a bit of discussion, June 1 was chosen. That doesn’t give us a lot of time to prepare for this year, so I’m pretty sure you won’t find an Outlander Parade on Main Street, but there’s always next year for the bigger and grander type of celebrations.
For now, why not take part of your day to find a way to celebrate this epic tale of adventure that we love so much? Here’s a few ideas to get you started:
1. Give the Gift of Outlander – I cruise used book stores looking for old copies of Outlander just for this purpose. If you’ve given one to everyone you know, why not leave a copy on the bus or in a coffee shop for a stranger? You can even track the book and find out how many times it was shared and how far it traveled!
2. Buy the T-shirt – You’ll find Outlander swag everywhere these days! Search Outlander on Etsy, Zazzle or Cafe Press, and you may end up shopping the day away. One of my favourites at the moment is this Jamie and Claire shirt. All profits go to support World Child Cancer.
3. Subscribe to Starz – You’ve been meaning to do it, right? Well, time is running out, people! August 9 is just over 2 months away…it’s time to get your TV ready for the big show! Go on, you know you want to…call (800) 675-1111 or visit the Starz website.
For my fellow Canadians, we need to subscribe to Showcase. Australians, Outlander is coming to you on SoHo…other countries, stay tuned! Episodes of the show were screened for buyers in LA recently, so more news should be coming soon.
4. Pre-Order MOBY – Choose the online book seller of your choice, or if you want it signed by Diana, order it from The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale.
6. Tell the World on Twitter – Take a minute to tweet your Outlandish love! Include the hashtag #WorldOutlanderDay, and send out your message from 6 to 7pm in your timezone. That way, we’ll have Outlander tweets going around the world all day – cool, eh?
While you’re at it, change your profile pic on Twitter and Facebook too! The pic above is a good choice, I think?
7. Plant Something in Your Garden – Embrace your Inner Claire, and get your hands in the earth.
Or, if you’re like me, you could use the day to finish building your garden. It’s actually a lot further along now, after I spent the day yesterday covering the landscape carpet with 5 cubic yards of gravel, moved one wheelbarrow full at a time, from the front yard. I listened to Davina Porter reading Echo to keep my mind off all that manual labour! Maybe I’ll build a raised bed or two for Outlander Day…
8. Cook up Something Outlandish – from Mrs. Fitz’s Porridge to Quail Cooked in Clay – you could eat Outlander all day, everyday. Check out Outlander Kitchen’s handy Recipe Index to find the dish for you! Personally, I’m going to make up a batch of Murtagh’s Gift to Ellen...cause everyday is better when it includes bacon.
For more information, and more ideas about how to celebrate, check out Outlander Ambassadors.
What do you think of World Outlander Day? What will you be doing?