Bannocks at Castle Leoch – Outlander on STARZ Episode 102

Bannocks at Castle Leoch – Outlander on STARZ Episode 102

Outlander on Starz

I can’t imagine the men of Clan MacKenzie were belting out the last chorus of the road trip favourite 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall as they rode the final stretch into Castle Leoch at the end of last week’s premiere episode of Outlander on STARZ.

It was a long couple of days — our Highlanders skirmished with multiple groups of Redcoats, rode all night through forest and glen, and, along the way, picked up a bewildered, bewildering and bossy Englishwoman wearing nothing but her mud-encrusted underclothes and a very sturdy-looking pair of loafers.

I bet even smart-mouth Angus is a little shell shocked and reduced to nothing but the occasional grunt of discomfort.

Glenna Fitzgibbons
photo by STARZ

Thankfully, Mistress Glenna Fitzgibbons will be in Leoch’s keep this Saturday to welcome the men off their horses and direct them to the kitchens for bannocks and ale.

Next, she’ll turn her welcoming attentions to Claire. I’ve always wondered what Mrs. Fitz thought of Claire and her out-of-this-world undergarments. She certainly never said anything in the book while escorting her new and unexpected guest to a bed chamber, but Glenna may be more forthcoming on screen.

At the very least, she’ll leave Claire with a plate of bannocks and a bowl of broth.

Bannocks - Leoch Feast

Mrs. Fitz will be back after Claire has a bit of rest, probably with a fresh batch of bannocks, a flask of wine and an ensemble suitable for an 18th Century lady of gentle birth.

And finally, at the end of a long day spent coming to terms with time travel, uninsulated castles, questions to which there are no rational answers, and a corset that’s got to have a long adjustment period, Claire will find herself at the Laird’s table for a supper of bannocks and meat, washed down with a few glasses of lip-loosening Rhenish.

Bannocks-Dough

Are there really going to be that many bannocks in one hour of television?  I hope not.

In reality, bannocks (and/or their close cousin, the oatcake), would have been on the table at every meal, and you would have always found a plate of them keeping warm near the edge of the cooking hearth all day long.

Bannocks-Pan

Traditional bannocks from Mrs Fitz’s kitchens were dense round cakes of oat and/or barley flour, animal fat and water/milk,cooked on a griddle pan, or girdle. The cakes were split into 8 equal wedges (farls) and consumed, for the most part, while still warm.

I looked at 1,538 recipes for bannocks while researching this post. Most modern recipes incorporate wheat flour and use butter instead of baking fat. Many call for buttermilk to tenderize the dough, but I chose yogurt to do the same thing for a couple of reasons: 1) I’ve found more OK readers have yogurt in their fridge than buttermilk.  2) The Recipe Index already has a few recipes that use buttermilk, and I like to mix things up.

I cut my bannocks into rectangles because that’s what this verra practical bannock baker in Shetland does. Roll the dough into a square, cut 12 rectangular bannocks and bake. There’s no scraps to re-roll — easy peasy, fresh and squeezy.

They also make a nice presentation for your Epsiode 102: Castle Leoch Snack Plate. Two bannocks, warm from the oven, with butter, wedges of blue and aged cheddar cheese, strawberry jam, and of course, a glass of your favourite Rhenish.

Gun còrd an dealbh ruibh! (Enjoy the show!)

Bannocks-Jam-Cheese

Bannocks at Castle Leoch

:This modern version of a castle staple is lighter and flakier than the dense pucks the Clan MacKenzie would have proclaimed delicious. Thanks be to wheat and baking powder.

Yield: 1 Dozen

• All-Purpose Flour – 2 Cups, plus extra for kneading
  • Quick Cooking Oats – 1 Cup (see notes)
  • Baking Powder – 1 Tble
  • Sugar – 1 Tble
  • Salt – ½ tsp
  • Butter, cold – ¼ Cup
  • Milk – ¾ Cup
  • Plain Yogurt – ½ Cup

Move rack to upper middle position and heat oven to 400° F. Line a baking pan with parchment or silicone baking sheet.Combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Grate cold butter into dry ingredients and mix well.

Stir together milk and yogurt. Add to dry ingredients and stir with wooden spoon to make a sticky dough.

Turn onto a floured counter and sprinkle with more flour. Knead dough lightly 5 or 6 times, working in additional flour, so that dough is no longer sticky

Roll into 8”x8” square, about ½” thick. Cut into 12 equal rectangles and arrange on prepared baking pan.

Bake until just golden, 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve warm with butter, cheese and jam, the roasted meat of your choice, or your morning parritch. Keep, in a covered container, for up to 3 days.

Ith do leòr! (Eat Plenty)

• I only keep whole rolled oats in my pantry. When I need the quick-cooking variety, I grind whole oats in a coffee grinder I keep especially for spices and other jobs like this. (3) 1 second pulses gets you the correct texture.
  • Grating it cold is the quickest way to incorporate butter into a dough for bannocks, scones and pastry.
  • To cook your bannocks on the stove top, preheat a large cast iron pan over medium-low for 5 minutes. Cook the bannocks in batches until golden brown on both sides, about 5-7 minutes/side.
  • For an authentic 18th Century bannock, try Jocasta’s “Auld Country” Scottish Bannock.

1. Lori
    August 13, 2014 at 6:12 am

I am so making these for Saturday! Looks great! Thank you!

August 13, 2014 at 7:32 am

Awesome! Dinna forget the cheese to go with them!

2. Beth
    August 13, 2014 at 6:23 am

You looked at 1500 recipes …. girl. That’s Diana levels of research. *slow claps*

Can I spoiler something for you? You were right to make them rectangular (that’s how they are in ep2!!) And that cheese plate looks amazing.

August 13, 2014 at 7:31 am

I may have exaggerated just a wee bit…

3. Mary Boyd
    August 13, 2014 at 6:36 am

This is a wonderful write-up. I get so hooked in to FB that I often forget to read your website–which is “verra good.”

August 13, 2014 at 7:34 am

Thank you, Mary! Love to have you here.

4. Claudia Barry
    August 13, 2014 at 9:08 am

Making food that goes along with the next episode of Outlander makes a brilliant show even brighter and has hooked my husband into the series! Thanks for your great recipes and he’s already looking forward to bannocks Saturday night!

• L J Barry
      August 13, 2014 at 11:33 am

Such a great idea, Claudia!

August 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

That just makes me happy…thanks for the smile, Claudia!

5. Molly
    August 13, 2014 at 9:27 am

These looked so good I had to make a batch this morning. Now sitting here with my bannocks, cheese, apple slices, currant jam and cup of tea. Thanks for a great recipe!

6. mandi
    August 13, 2014 at 10:46 am

We have used a very similar recipe in my family for years but now I use oat flour rather than wheat… dense texture but filling and goes great with everything : we have done variations too tomato soup and cheese, just cheese, garlic and herbs – so many possibilities… we add more sugar into the dough and make cinnamon rolls out of it too 🙂 thank you for the recipe!

7. Cindy Perkins
    August 13, 2014 at 10:49 am

My husband has a dairy reaction. Can I use vegan butter &soy milk? What would you substitute for the yogurt ??

August 13, 2014 at 1:30 pm

the vegan butter and soy milk should work nicely! For the yogurt, use about 1/4 Cup more soy milk, mixed with 1 Tble of lemon juice.

8. Ria
    August 13, 2014 at 11:04 am

These look a lot like what my Scottish granny called scones. Hers had a piece of butter the size of an egg and the green cup of flower. Sort of hard to duplicate! I love them though when I get a good batch.

August 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Scones and bannocks (and oatcakes, for that matter) are very close on the baked-good family tree. 🙂

9. Dixie McGee Benca
    August 13, 2014 at 11:05 am

Hey – I, too, am a professional Chef, Celtophile, & fellow “Outlander” fan. I have owned McGee’s Irish Pub & Restaurant in the heart of Scot-Irish territory (Anderson, SC) for 18 years & plan on enthusiastically incorporating some of your recipes (w/ acknowledgment, of course) as daily specials & dishes for special events. Thank you for this website.

August 13, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Wonderful, Dixie! Send me pics if you can…love to see them!

10. Carla
    August 13, 2014 at 11:10 am

I don’t eat wheat, or any grain for that matter, but I’m going to try to make these with some of the flours I have on hand (almond, coconut, flax, garbanzo bean)

August 13, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Let me know how they turn out, Carla!

11. Julie Perman
    August 13, 2014 at 11:12 am

I am going to make this recipe for my husband and I for Saturday night show and serve it with cheese and wine. Thanks for the great idea Theresa!

August 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Sounds great! I hope he enjoys them!

12. Anne Arcara
    August 13, 2014 at 11:50 am

As I have celiac disease and notw have to be gluten free, did you find any recipes in your research that just use oat flour that you think might be tasty? Even tho they would be heavier, I might be able to make them. I do muss scones and other baked goods like these bannocks! Thanks!

August 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Yes, Anne — I linked to my traditional bannock recipe, which uses oat flour and barley.

The other option, which I highly recommend, is my recipe for Herb and Pumpkin Seed Oatcakes, which is wheat free and INSANELY DELICIOUS.

Also have a look at the Recipe Index — where you’ll find a whole section of gluten-free recipes to try. 🙂

• Lisa
      August 14, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Be careful with the barley, celiacs tend to be intolerant of that too. I agree with Molly though the Bob’s RedMill are an awesome replacement

• Molly
      August 13, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I made mine with Bob’s RedMill all purpose GF flour blend and GF oats. Taste and texture were great!

August 14, 2014 at 8:04 am

That is good to know, Molly! Thanks!

• Carrie
      September 6, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I made mine with same as it was the only oat flour at the grocery. Came out great!

13. Mary Miller
    August 13, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Just found you during my lunch break, your recipes sound WAAY better than what I just had. And thank you for deciphering just “what” these foods are, I confess I was at a loss! I have greedily devoured all the books, and now I get to devour their dishes as well, how fun is that?!?

August 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Welcome to our virtual hearth, Mary! Pull up a stool, I’ll grab ye a plate of bannocks. 🙂

14. Shelia Penzell
    August 13, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Bloody brilliant!

15. Felicity
    August 13, 2014 at 12:27 pm

What’s your favorite Rhenish??

August 13, 2014 at 1:13 pm

We actually don’t drink a lot of wine around here, but the one pictured is the same pale pink as Colum’s recipe, which is why I chose it. It’s from our small island’s winery, Sea Star Vineyards, and it’s call Blanc de Noir. It’s my current favourite.

August 13, 2014 at 1:13 pm

16. Marty
    August 13, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Is the addition of the oats that makes this different than scones, then?

17. Sigrid Tranter
    August 13, 2014 at 12:28 pm

In shall make these in time for the next Episode. My Husband will be even more hooked on Outlander .

August 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

The best way to a man is through his stomach…and with a really good book. 😉

18. Marilyn
    August 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Won’t it be fun to make these, put on some plaid and eat with Jamie and Claire. Thanks so much for your efforts!

August 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Enjoy, Marilyn!

19. Carol Lang
    August 13, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Hi Theresa. Love your excellent blog and the recipes (especially the rhennish experiment account)! I’m an Outlander fan and have been following you since researching Scottish recipes earlier this year. Since my heritage is Irish I’ve always used my maternal grandmother’s bannock recipe. To keep it authentic I’m making and sharing your Scottish bannock recipe with some cheese during Saturday’s episode. Indeed, ’twill doubtless be a verra good thing!

August 13, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I`m honoured that my recipe will take the place of your prized family one, Carol, if only for one night. 😉

20. Ethel Jack
    August 13, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Sounds like a verra good plan. Must try these Saturday….thanks for the recipe AND the hints!

21. Jim Vandegriff
    August 13, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I’ll make these for Saturday night, and accompany them with 2002 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr riesling auslese our prime selection of Rhenish wine.

August 13, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Sounds verra nice! Enjoy.

• Jim Vandegriff
      August 16, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I just made the bannocks. They are truly yummy! Thanks.

22. christina gray
    August 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for the yummy recipe! I think I will try it with the yogurt and also with buttermilk. I’ve just discovered your website! I’m eager to keep up with it!

August 13, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Welcome, Christina, great to have you here!

23. Chantal
    August 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm

The updated bannock recipe is very nice… But could someone sleuth out an *old* recipe? (presumably a recipe without modern wheat, yogurt, etc? )

August 13, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Did you read the whole post and recipe, Chantal? I linked to my recipe for an *old* or traditional oat/barley bannock recipe at least twice. I thought it was pretty clear, but here it is again:

24. Vickey
    August 13, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Are these kind of like scones?

August 13, 2014 at 2:51 pm

They are a less-rich scone…less butter and cream in a bannock. 🙂

25. Amanda
    August 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Making scottish stout stew for dinner and needed something to go with it. These sound PERFECT!! Can’t wait to try them;)

26. Elle
    August 13, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I REALLY want to make these, but I’m broke and need to use what I have on hand – which is everything except the yogurt. I do have a vanilla bean yogurt – would that be a horrid substitution?

August 13, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I’m a big fan of using what you have, Elle! Use the vanilla bean yogurt — I would probably add an extra tablespoon or two of sugar to the dough, to make them a sweeter bannock. Then the vanilla flavour won’t be out of place. Serve them with fruit and a tea or wine.

• Elle
      August 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I made the bannocks with the vanilla bean yogurt and extra sugar as you suggested. This was the first time I’ve made anything like this. My kitchen was a complete mess by the time I finished – flour everywhere!

But – they turned out really well! And I have leftovers for this week! Thanks so much!

27. Pat Alzady
    August 13, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Would you find sour milk an acceptable alternative to the yogurt or buttermilk?

August 13, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Yes, that will work! I would start with 1/3 cup soured milk, then add more if needed.

• Amy Sisco
      August 13, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Can I ask why one would use soured milk…?

August 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Soured, or clabbered, milk with lemon juice or vinegar stirred in. It’s a good substitute for buttermilk, and is being used by a few here in place of the yogurt.

• Kathe
      August 16, 2014 at 7:02 am

If I wanted to use buttermilk and not yogurt and milk what would the amount be?

August 16, 2014 at 7:04 am

I would start with a 1/4 Cup, and increase as needed to get a slightly sticky dough.

• Kathe
      August 16, 2014 at 7:08 am

Thank you!!!!

• Kristin
      August 21, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I’m a little confused. Do you mean to replace the 3/4 c milk +1/2 c yogurt with only 1/4 c. buttermilk? I want to make these again without the milk and yogurt and substitute all buttermilk but 1/4 c. doesn’t seem like an equal substitution for 1-1/4 cups! Am I misunderstanding?

August 21, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I didn’t understand that you also wanted to get rid of the milk. To sub buttermilk for both, I would start with 1 cup of buttermilk, and add more if you need. 🙂

August 21, 2014 at 7:12 pm

• Kristin
      August 21, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for your response. I wasn’t actually the person who asked the question first so I don’t know what she wanted to do. 🙂 Do you think all buttermilk or milk+buttermilk would be better?

August 22, 2014 at 8:06 am

It really won’t make much of a difference. You need the acid in buttermilk/yoghurt etc. to tenderize the crumb of the bannock, but it’s not necessary to use all buttermilk, unless you want to.

28. Jessica
    August 13, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I made these tonight and spread them with some jelly I had canned up awhile back! They were so good my severely speech delayed toddler finished sharing mine, pointed to the kitchen and said “mmmmooooore…?”.
    Great recipe!

29. Amy Sisco
    August 13, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I have never made a recipe linked to a book / show before – but I’m so going to make bannocks this weekend!

Please tell me a recipe book is in the works! It would be do much easier than looking online…

August 13, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Have fun with it, Amy! I know I do. 😉 As for the cookbook, I’m working on it…

30. JenaLee Coburn
    August 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Hello. I can’t have gluten . and unfortunately it is not the same now as it was all those years ago. How might one go about making them gf?

August 13, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I’ve got a great oatcake recipe that uses only oats, JenaLee, here’s the link:

• Miranda Carie Cunningham
      August 14, 2014 at 7:39 am

Me too. these look good. I love books and food that match. So few recipes are gluten free though. The only recipes I can find gluten free don’t have the oats. I am afraid if I just sub gluten free flour these will be very hard.

August 14, 2014 at 8:02 am

Have you checked out the recipe index, Miranda? I have a whole section of gluten free recipes. There’s an AWESOME oatcake recipe that is g-free…maybe you could make that instead?

31. Donna K
    August 14, 2014 at 7:08 am

I have my Scottish grandmother’s recipe for bannock written in her hand. She immigrated to Canada from the Isle of Skye in 1816. She used buttermilk or sour cream. Buttermilk works better for me.

August 14, 2014 at 8:02 am

Thanks, Donna!

32. Gunner
    August 14, 2014 at 10:10 am

THANK YOU for finally clearing ‘what the heck is a BANNOCK’ up for me!!! Love your blog.

August 14, 2014 at 10:13 am

My pleasure, Gunner!

33. Sarah
    August 14, 2014 at 10:18 am

You’ve inspired me

34. Lois
    August 14, 2014 at 11:51 am

My great grandparents were from Scotland. My grandpa was 3 when they came to the states. Longs story short, my mom made scones from her grandma’s recipe. Mom would make the scones in a cast iron skillet and cut them into wedges like a pie. She served them with homemade damson plum preserves that are delicious and nothing like the commercial preserves you may find in stores. Mom’s recipe is very similar to the bannocks that I wonder what the difference is. Would you mind sharing your recipe for scones?
    Thank you!

35. Allie
    August 14, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Have you read The Exile, Diana’s graphic novel? Mrs. Fitz’s reaction to Claire’s brassiere is revealed within. 😉

Can’t wait to make these bannocks for Saturday! My Outlandish friends are all driving I to town to have an Episodes 1 & 2 back-to-back viewing party. Now to track down so e Rhenish wine…

August 14, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Yes, Allie…I’ve read all of Diana’s books. 🙂 Have a great time this Saturday!

• Allie
      August 16, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Shouldna have doubted! My apologies for the typos in my previous post. That’s what I get for commenting via my phone…

36. Debbie
    August 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Always try baking something new on the weekends. Thanks Theresa, for this weekends adventure in the kitchen!

37. Kristin
    August 14, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I am finally ready to watch the first episode with someone else (after repeated viewings on my own!!) and have invited a friend over tomorrow night to watch episode 1. I’m going to bake the bannocks for our viewing and eat them with chevre and jam and a lovely bottle of wine. If there are any left over, I will eat them on Saturday night when I’m watching episode 2 (by myself, unless the viewing tomorrow night goes well and I don’t mind watching ep2 with someone else!). Thanks, Theresa!

38. Whitney Dineen
    August 15, 2014 at 8:19 am

Are you kidding me?! This is just the ultimate!!! Thank you for taking our enjoyment a step further!

August 15, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’m not kidding! LOL Great to have you here, Whitney!

39. Sarah Walker
    August 15, 2014 at 11:03 am

Part of my last post was cut off. You have indeed inspired me 🙂 I also made these yesterday with Bob’s Red Mill, homemade “clabbered milk” (really a yogurt experiment gone wrong

August 15, 2014 at 5:30 pm

That’s great, Sarah!

40. Haley Sampson
    August 16, 2014 at 11:12 am

In the oven now! Can’t wait for episode #2! We are rewatching #1 tonight before episode #2 comes on… two hours of Outlander will make for a great Saturday evening.

41. Amy
    August 16, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Going to try to make them right now as the show starts in 47 minutes!!! Wish me luck 🙂

August 17, 2014 at 6:33 am

I’m sure you made it with time to spare. 🙂

42. Ted Poster
    August 16, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Made these fresh and hot for tonight’s feast. Excellent!

August 17, 2014 at 6:32 am

Glad they were a hit!

• Ted Poster
      August 17, 2014 at 8:43 am

The Clan loved them!!
      What’s next for “Outlander on STARZ Episode 103”?

43. Kristen
    August 16, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Something I discovered while grating butter. Pop your grater in the freezer for a few minutes prior to grating. I live in So California and it’s so warm the butter gets soft fast.

August 17, 2014 at 6:32 am

Thanks for the tip, Kristen! Freezing the butter for 15 minutes also works.

44. Shannon
    August 17, 2014 at 9:51 am

Yum! Just made these on a whim after viewing episode 2 and the regular trip to the grocery. I paired with some lemon curd which I have been wanting to try. Excellent! I’m going to have to explore your site some more 😉

August 17, 2014 at 11:33 am

Welcome, Shannon!

45. Lorraine Prezeau
    August 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

Made them today. Absolutely fantastic! A hit with the whole family. I ate them with Applewood smoked cheddar cheese and homemade blackberry jam. Wow! I’ll be making these again for sure.

August 17, 2014 at 11:32 am

Good news, Lorraine!

46. Jennifer
    August 17, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Recently found your site (through Facebook), thankfully in time to make these to go with episode 102. They were a hit! We’ve decided that for every episode to try one of your recipes. Thanks for the inspiration!

August 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Welcome, Jennifer! I’ll have a new recipe up next Wednesday for episode 3.

• Lorraine Prezeau
      August 18, 2014 at 7:11 am

Batch # 3 is in the oven. Biggest fan (other than me) is my 17 year old. He can’t get enough. 🙂

47. Mona in San Diego
    August 17, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Am I the only fan who heard Queen Elinor from Brave, telling the Laird’s Lady Letitia, “A lady does not throw bannocks to guests, Sassanach or no, at the table.” ? If we were not having a heat wave, I’d be baking them now.

• Gail MacArthur
      September 18, 2014 at 8:33 am

I heard that, too. Good catch!

48. Sauni-Rae Dain
    August 17, 2014 at 9:03 pm

We made Bannocks based on your recipe Saturday night to eat with our stew, and get ready to watch episode 2. They were yummy. Thank you for the recipe.

49. Shannon
    August 18, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I made Bannocks based on your recipe for Episode 2, so we’d be eating bannocks as Mrs. Fitz was serving them to Claire & Jamie, et al. I used 1 C half & half with dry buttermilk to equal 1 C, & they turned out splendid! I served them with homemade strawberry preserves & pear preserves. Yum! So easy with the frozen butter grated in! I will make these again, but will use more cream & butter and baking soda to make them even softer & more scone-like. Thanks for the recipe!

50. Dale
    August 18, 2014 at 6:07 pm

These were yummy bannocks. I served mine with freshly made blackberry jam, some nice aged cheddar and a couple of bottles of port. Twas a verra nice evening indeed! Thanks for the recipe!

51. Kayla
    August 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Hi! I just felt the urge to make something from your site after I saw my mom posted a link on her facebook. We’ve been watching the show together, and I’ve really become interested in it. I haven’t read any of the books yet, cause I wasn’t exactly alive when the first few books came out, and I wasn’t exactly allowed to read them until a few years ago haha. I’m gonna have to borrow them from her soon. Anyway! The second thing I saw on the page from the link was bannocks, so I decided to make them. They turned out really well! I had to improvise Greek yogurt for the yogurt, cause that’s all we have in the house. I don’t know if that really changes anything, but they taste good to me. Thanks for creating this site! It’s really cool, and I hope to make more recipes from it soon!

August 20, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Glad you like them…and try the books! You’ll like those too. 🙂

52. Cheryl
    August 22, 2014 at 7:47 pm

These are wonderful! My 10 year old son and I just made a batch for fun and we can’t get enough. Grating the butter is so smart – I will never cut butter in again! Thank you for your website!

August 22, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Glad you both enjoyed them!

53. Wendy
    August 22, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I plan to make these tomorrow for my husband and me. How would you serve these with honey? Just pour honey on them?

August 22, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Yes! A little butter, then a spoonful of honey. Yum

54. Elle
    August 23, 2014 at 10:03 am

Are the bannocks and atholl brose a good combination? I’ve got the atholl brose in the fridge blending away!

• Elle
      August 23, 2014 at 10:14 am

disregard… you answered this already on the Atholl Brose page 🙂

• Wendy
      August 23, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Just made these. I didn’t realize that I had run out of quick-cooking oats, but I did have some Scott’s Porridge Oats so I used those, instead. Mine look kind of rustic, but they turned out beautifully, and I will definitely make them again. Thank you for the great recipe!

55. Crystal Sinclair
    August 24, 2014 at 7:53 am

I made these for my Outlander viewing party and served them with butter and honey. They were so easy and were a hit! My husband is raving about them and requested they be a staple at our viewing parties. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I think I’ll try the more traditional recipe next week.

56. Mindy
    August 24, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Can I use buttermilk instead of the yogurt? I don’t usually have yogurt, but I ALWAYS have buttermilk.

August 24, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Of course!

• Mindy
      August 24, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I made them and they were delish! I couldn’t let them cool long though, they smelled too good to wait. Thanks for the recipe!

57. Carmen
    August 24, 2014 at 2:31 pm

So pleased to have found your site! Outlander premieres tonight in Canada, so this is great timing. 🙂 I was surprised that some of the commenters weren’t familiar with bannock, as they have been adopted as a staple food by Canada’s Aboriginal people, who got the recipe from the Scottish fur traders and have made them their own. 🙂 It is also known as “Indian bread” or “frybread”, but “bannock” is the most common term here in northern Saskatchewan, amongst the Woodland Cree. I imagine Young Ian would be happy to share bannock with both his Scottish and Mohawk families! 🙂

58. threequeensmom
    August 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Just whipped up a batch. Going into the oven now!

August 27, 2014 at 10:57 am

I hope they were popular! (Didn’t the house smell good while they were baking?)

59. Elle
    August 27, 2014 at 10:25 am

Theresa,

Is there any nutritional value in bannocks? If one wishes to eat healthily, should bannocks be avoided?

August 27, 2014 at 10:27 am

I am a chef, not a nutritionist. 🙂 That said, I believe everything is good in moderation.

• Elle
      August 27, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Fair enough 🙂

60. Elena
    August 27, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I made this recipe and promptly ate three…in a row. Quick, easy, and very delicious. Thank you Theresa!

61. Sara
    August 30, 2014 at 10:41 am

Made these this morning! So delicious with butter and strawberry jam. 🙂

August 30, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Great sounding breakfast!

62. cindy
    August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Loved these! Ate them with butter and jam…..and even plain. Tender and moist. So good. Will be making again.

63. Jackie M
    August 31, 2014 at 8:14 am

These are perfect foe a rainy Sunday morning. My DH has dubbed them “Jamie biscuits”.

64. Linda Parker
    September 3, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Made these with vanilla yogurt and whole wheat flour. Oh, oh, yum! It has to be blackberry or marionberry jam here in Oregon.

65. TessQ
    September 6, 2014 at 10:38 am

Theresa — I made these today to have with dinner tonight as a few friends come over to watch episode 105… but of course I HAD to taste them first to ensure they were acceptable fare for my guests. They are wonderful!!! I ate one about 10 minutes out of the oven with plain butter and sighed with each bite. Then I made up some honey-butter for tonight and, after it had set a bit in the fridge, I had a second bannock with it. Heavenly!!!

I’m looking forward to trying some of your other posted Outlander recipes. I can tell from the ingredients that I will like them! Unfortunately the friends I’m watching the series with are somewhat pickier in what they eat – one for being gluten intolerant, the other from not being very taste-adventurous – but you can be assured I’ll be working my way through all the ones they will share with me; and the others on separate occasions! Thanks so much –

66. Carrie
    September 6, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I made crowdie cheese and bannocks today! I canna wait to eat them!

67. Mary Guido
    September 7, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Aargh!

I am so frustrated with myself!

In an effort to use the oats from my double batch of Athol Brose I made these, well, sorta. I used gluten free flours, they looked great, they are in the oven… and I just realized I forgot the butter.

Of all things!

Oh well, I will eat them anyway.

Grrrrr.

But I sincerely thank you for your inspirational recipes!

September 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Aaagh! We all do that from time to time…just spread more butter on them. 😉

• Mary Guido
      September 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Oh my, I did! And oh my goodness they were great!

68. Lauren
    September 10, 2014 at 4:20 pm

What kind of cheese would you put with it?

69. Marji Mackenzie
    September 11, 2014 at 11:35 am

I just wanted to make sure of the size….you cut an 8″ x8″ square into 12 pieces?
    I can’t wait to try them!

September 11, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Yes, you sure can!

70. Ru
    September 13, 2014 at 4:14 pm

These are delicious, and a lot easier (and faster) than making biscuits. Yum! Bring on BJR, je sues pres!

71. K Moller-Greene
    September 13, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Oat Cakes, Bannocks….sorry, but I just don’t like them served as hard on the gullet “treats” for a Sunday morning baking attempt/reenactment. But a Scots favorite of my grandmother, Hilda Euphrates Mackenzie (a direct descendant of Clan Mackenzie) in September was always Fresh Oats from the mill, stone-ground into light meal, then sprinkled over the last strawberries of summer or apples baked in the oven….with sweet cream and a sprinkling of brown sugar. But Oak Cakes were all the Scots Highlanders had at Culloden….and so that food (for my deceased gran) would have brought a tear to her eye remembering her brother Thornton and others who fought for their country in WWI. Oat Cakes are not fun to eat—they are eaten out of necessity nowadays only in Scotland or for tourists. (Sorry but that’s what I was told in stories as a child.)

72. Kelly Green
    September 14, 2014 at 8:24 am

I don’t have any yogurt. Do you think I could use sour cream instead?

September 14, 2014 at 11:57 am

73. Gail MacArthur
    September 18, 2014 at 7:52 am

I’ve been an Outlander fan since the first book was published; I received a copy from my mother as a Christmas gift. We traded books all of the time and whenever she gave me one with her very small initials on the inside page, almost in the crease of the binding, I knew she had read it before giving it to me. My mom has passed on and there’s no one in my little corner of the North Woods who’s heard of Outlander . Until I found your website she was the only person I knew who would understand my obsession with the story and now the receipts. Thanks for sharing your passion for Outlander.

September 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

Welcome to our virtual hearth, Gail!

74. Sara Logan
    October 3, 2014 at 9:09 pm

My mother and grandmother have always been EXTREMELY talented old/back country cooks/bakers from West Virginia in U.S. There is lots of Irish/Scottish heritage there. Anyway, one of the tricks for “souring” your milk if you don’t have buttermilk, which in my opinion gives your breads layers of flavor, is to use a drizzle of vinegar (apple cider) during your wet/dry mix. Also, vinegars classic chemical reaction helps to fluff up your bread for more flaky layers when you have used baking powder.

October 4, 2014 at 7:44 am

Thank you for the tip. I actually recommend stirring the vinegar (or lemon juice) directly into the milk to make clabbered milk. I usually give these tips at the end of all of my recipes. Acid in a dough tenderizes the layers, as you say.

75. Jamie
    October 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I just made these. I loved them. They are very delicious. Thank You!

76. Jill
    October 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Made these this afternoon. Had two while still warm from the oven, with blueberry preserves. They’re easy for a novice baker and quite tasty!

77. Kylie
    November 7, 2014 at 1:24 am

Firstly I would like to say that I was very excited to have discovered your website.
    My sister and I are both chefs and having sold our family cafe a few months ago have found ourselves with a little more time on our hands. After spending hours discovering recipes on your site we have decided to spend a few days (quite a few) this summer, cooking….Outlander style!
    I made these this afternoon. Absolutely delicious. I am going to try Jocasta’s Bannocks next.
    Thank you!

78. Melani
    November 20, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Thank you for such amazing recipes. I am trying the bannocks tomorrow but only have buttermilk on hand. My home is just the opposite, buttermilk always, yogurt not so much. I hope this question isn’t redundant. I tried to read the comments before hand. How much buttermilk should I use as a substitute?

79. Melani
    November 20, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I found it…1/4 cup buttermilk in place of yogurt. Thank you! Keep up these great recipes. I’m getting ready for Thanksgiving and will make a few.

80. Alison
    December 22, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I made the veganized version of these and they were fantastic – thank you!!

81. Marta
    January 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Love these. Super easy and I’ve made them into cheddar cheese biscuits just by grating sone cheddar cheese. My friends who normally don’t eat breads of any kind can’t get enough of them. So far I have made about 6 batches in 2 weeks!
    Thank you for your kitchen creativity.

82. Summer Surratt
    February 15, 2015 at 7:06 pm

These are wonderful! Loved them and so did my little ones.

83. Christie
    May 20, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Wow, this is almost the same as my scone recipe!!! Always great. We’ll be sure to start making something from your website each showing, and if I do that, this weekend is going to be hellaciously filling!!! LOL

84. Sara Lovén
    June 4, 2015 at 6:13 am

I’m sitting here, craving these bannocks even though I haven’t even tried to bake them yet. Will definitely try them soon!

85. Judy
    October 26, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I love this site! I was looking for the aged cheddar bannock recipe. Did I miss it somehow? The link took me to another recipe.

October 26, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Sorry for the confusion, Judy…I added about 1/2 cup of grated cheddar to this bannock recipe:

86. Stephanie
    October 26, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I love all the recipes you have posted and can’t wait to try the Bannocks! Is the slow cooker split pea soup recipe available? Thanks so much for all your posts. <3 <3<3

87. Laurie Allen
    October 31, 2015 at 8:08 am

The Pea Soup is what caught my eye. Any chance you could post that recipe please???

November 1, 2015 at 9:26 am

Laurie, I posted the link in answer to someone else’s request on this post…see it? The recipe is typed into a photo I posted on FB.

88. Diane
    November 14, 2015 at 6:58 am

I am thrilled that I discovered this website. As a “novice baker” and cook for some 20 years, ha, and a lover of Outlander and all things Scottish, I can’t wait to try many of the recipes especially the bannock bread. This is one of the few recipes I have encountered over time where I have seen the cold butter grated and it works wonderfully. Also, buttermilk is a staple in my kitchen, wouldn’t be without it. Love the recipes, can’t wait for the cookbook! Trying the almond cake today!

89. Laura
    December 6, 2015 at 6:44 am

These came out awesome. Very bonny bannocks.