Atholl Brose –  Outlander on STARZ Episode 103

Atholl Brose – Outlander on STARZ Episode 103

Outlander on Starz

We last left Claire deposited in Davie Beaton’s old closet, quietly shedding a few tears while her erstwhile saviour, the tinkerer, bounced back to Inverness in his little wagon without her.

It’s that last scene of Claire, left alone in the dungeon of despair, that convinced me we need ALCOHOL for Episode 3 of Outlander on STARZ: The Way Out.

Put in the same position, I’m sure most of us would welcome a liquid escape – although I think we’ll put a two glass limit on the Atholl Brose – did you see the way Claire destroyed that Rhenish last Saturday?!

Be careful, lass. Lips loosened by drink generally result in some sort of mishap.

great hall - Outlander STARZ

We’re headed back into the Great Hall this week, to enjoy the sounds and story stylings of Gwyllyn the Bard, storyteller extraordinaire.

I like to picture myself in each scene while I’m watching — not in the middle of the action, mind — but maybe perched next to one of those huge hearths, with the fire warming my back?  Give me Gwyllyn, his harp, and a wee dram of the Atholl Brose and I’d be happy as a bannock soaked in butter and honey.

soaked-oats Atholl Brose

Given that Atholl Brose is boozy, sweet and creamy, the most obvious comparison is Bailey’s Irish Cream.  I don’t suggest you make that comparison with a Scot in the room, though.  Atholl Brose has a long, colourful history – including the quelling of a rebellion – stretching back to 1475; Irish Cream was first available for purchase in 1974.

With a five hundred year head start, I think it’s safe to give the Scots bragging rights here.

Older recipes call for raw egg whites, but I’ve left those out due to food-safety concerns.  Mrs. Fitz, Jenny and other 18th C keepers of chickens didn’t have the salmonella and other problems that plague our modern food distribution system.

oat-milk Atholl Brose

Even after three years of Outlander Kitchen, I’m still occasionally surprised by how delicious a hundreds-year old combination of basic ingredients can be, even to my modern taste buds. This recipe is one of those surprises.

If you drink – even if you’re not overly fond of whisky – you want to make this. Not one hundred percent convinced? Make a half recipe. Sip it chilled, mix it into Coke on ice. Heck, I bet it makes a damn fine Highland Coffee.

Atholl Brose is at its best when given a few days to mature in the fridge, but it’s still delicious on the day it’s made. If you want to be sipping on Saturday evening, leave the oats to soak overnight Friday, then mix everything together on Saturday morning and leave it in the fridge until just before the show starts.

Atholl Brose

Other Outlander Kitchen recipes that pair with Episode 103:  The Way Out

Atholl Brose

:Sweet, creamy and delicious, Atholl Brose is a wonderful after-dinner digestif, and makes the perfect accompaniment to tales told by Gwyllyn the Bard in the Great Hall.

Yield: about 2 Cups

• Steel-cut or Rolled Oats – 1 Cup
  • Whisky – 1 Cup (see notes)
  • Honey – 2 Tble
  • Coffee, Table, Light or Single Cream (18% fat) – ½ Cup

Soak oats in 2 cups of lukewarm water overnight.

Drain oats in a strainer lined with cheesecloth or muslin. Squeeze the oats in the cloth to extract all liquid. Discard oats.

Mix 1 cup of strained oat milk with whisky in a large bowl. Gently whisk in honey, until dissolved. Add cream and stir.

Store, covered, in a pitcher in the fridge for up to 1 week. It gets even better on the 2nd or 3rd day, once flavours have had a chance to meld.

Serve chilled or over ice.

Slàinte Mhath! (Good Health)

• A high-priced single malt is not necessary for this recipe. A mid-priced blend is the perfect choice for a smooth end result.
  • If you decide to go the single malt route, I suggest staying away from peat/smoke, as it overpowers the sweetness of the honey and the richness of the cream. Stick to a milder whisky, such as Glen Morangie, Old Pulteney, or The Macallan.
  • Dairy free? Skip the cream!  I tasted my mixture before I added the cream, and it was delicious, even without that 18% fat. To get a slightly “creamier” oat milk, run the oats and their soaking water through a blender before straining.
  • Atholl Brose is also the less common name for the Scottish dessert, Cranachan…just to confuse things a wee bit.

1. Cindy
    August 20, 2014 at 5:11 am

So I am NOT a cook and I am confused. Is “oat milk” the liquid I’ve just squeezed out? Or is it the soaked oats that are leftover? In other words, am I saving the liquid I drain from the oats or letting it go down the drain?

August 20, 2014 at 6:24 am

The oat milk is the liquid you`ve squeezed out. That`s what you`re saving.

• Gilean
      August 23, 2014 at 4:46 am

Enjoying reading yor comments. I’m from near Edinburgh in Scotland.
      Just a wee correction though. Altholl Brose is a drink as you say but Crannachan is a pudding and quite different- made from similar ingredients ie oats, honey, whisky , but also fresh raspberries, double cream and single cream to drizzle on the top. One of my very favourite puddings.
      However you have the advantage as even although they were filming the series all around Scotland including a friends stables and using her ponies we are not able to view the series at the moment- hopefully one of the British companies will buy it and we can catch up soon.

August 23, 2014 at 6:39 am

I am told by a few Scots, and have also read it in multiple sources, that Atholl Brose is also a less common name for Cranachan. Perhaps this is a regional thing.

I hope the UK gets to see TV Outlander very soon.

• Suzanne Lucero
      August 23, 2014 at 6:52 am

I’m not recommending this, mind, but how about torrenting the episodes until The Powers That Be in Scotland start showing OUTLANDER on television?

2. Anna Lapping
    August 20, 2014 at 5:24 am

I will be making this! Thank you.

3. Merry Miller Moon
    August 20, 2014 at 5:49 am

I’m so making this for episode three. Thank you Theresa! Slainte Mhath! 🙂

4. Marcy Daniels
    August 20, 2014 at 5:54 am

I have an English cookbook that calls for serving this warm for breakfast. Now that’s what I call breakfast.

August 20, 2014 at 6:24 am

That oat milk would be a very hearty start to the day! 😉

5. Theresa K.
    August 20, 2014 at 6:41 am

Any ideas for a substitution for oats? I have celiac and can’t tolerate oats ( even the supposed GF ones).

August 20, 2014 at 8:18 am

Any other grain that you can tolerate should work.

6. Terri F.
    August 20, 2014 at 6:47 am

My friend made this for our Outlander premier party. It is delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Rowen G.
    August 20, 2014 at 6:50 am

This is almost exactly the recipe a (long departed) friend gave me thirty-some years ago; she said it was her grandmother’s. Thank you for the reminder – I’ll be making some this week.

8. Lee Ann H
    August 20, 2014 at 7:26 am

So I am thinking you mean Scotch Whiskey, not Rye Whiskey??? I want to try this!

August 20, 2014 at 8:27 am

Lee Ann — here’s a great whisky factoid: If it’s whisky, not whiskey, then it’s always Scotch. All other whiskey producing nations use the e. 🙂

• Lee Ann H
      August 20, 2014 at 10:11 am

Great! Thanks. That is good to know.

• Allyson L
      August 20, 2014 at 11:20 am

Still waiting for the 1st episode to air in Canada this weekend! Thanks for the Atholl Brose recipe, I will be trying that shortly.

Just a note – Canadian (rye) whisky is (usually?) spelled without the “e” – perhaps because so many Canadians are of Scottish origins, who knows.

When the weather is warm and you don’t want to heat up the kitchen, there is nothing quite as good as pouring cream (2% milk if you must) over a bowl of (uncooked) oatmeal with fruit cut in (peaches, berries, dried cranberries in a pinch), a good dollop of maple syrup and a good glug of everyday scotch. In winter, I cook the oatmeal and put the glug of scotch in my tea, instead. It’s all good.

August 20, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I’ve never seen Canadian whiskey spelled without the e. Not in 3 years of pretty steady whisky research.

• Bonny
      August 20, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Well, lets start with “Canadian Club Whisky”, then move on to “Crown Royal
      Whisky”, “Tap 357 Maple Whisky”, “Wisers”, Alberta Premium Dark Horse, Royal Canadian, Gibsons…..etc, etc, just google Canadian Whisky Brands and voila!!!

9. Kelly
    August 20, 2014 at 7:33 am

Oh I am totally making this! I will be soaking the oats this evenin’ I will!! :oD

10. Liz
    August 20, 2014 at 8:25 am

My father used to make atoll brose for New Year’s Eve, at which time he would make sure he could still squeeze into his Black Watch kilt. Whiskey porridge we kids used to say with eye rolls all round.

11. Elena
    August 20, 2014 at 8:59 am

I would call this the Scottish version of eggnog. It sounds delightful and I already have all of the ingredients. One question Theresa, how is “atholl brose” pronounced? Thanks.

12. Lauri Burgess
    August 20, 2014 at 9:10 am

I’ve only tried scotch once and didn’t like it….to be fair it was cheap bar stock!! I plan to buy a better scotch to have a wee dram while watching Canadian premiere this Sunday….. Now I think that I’ll try this brose in case the “neat” version too much for my taste buds!!!

Scotland #1 on my bucket list, I’ve always said that the blood of my ancestors calls me home, was very interested in the travel by boat that you write about, wasn’t aware that such a thing was possible.

Slainte mhath!!

13. Melissa Desselles
    August 20, 2014 at 9:36 am

This would also be good without the whiskey to serve to my kids!! or anyone’s kids lol!

• Laurie Stewart
      August 27, 2014 at 2:51 pm

During winter gatherings, when the adults had a Hot Buttered Rum drink, we use to let the kids have a drink we called “Hot Buttered Vanilla.” It was made from the homemade HBR Mix (made with brown sugar, melted butter and vanilla ice cream). To give it a flavor boost we would add a little vanilla extract with the boiling water. As an adult she still doesn’t drink alcohol but loves her “Hot Buttered Vanilla” drink in winter. I know the extract has some alcohol in it but not enough to be a bother. And it mostly evaporates off when you add the boiling water.

14. Maria Felix
    August 20, 2014 at 9:46 am

This looks and sounds delicious. I will let you know how it turns out.

15. Jo
    August 20, 2014 at 9:46 am

I can’t wait to try this! I’m a little confused about the ingredient “Coffee, Table or Single Cream”. Do you mean half and half? Is there coffee in this?

August 20, 2014 at 1:12 pm

It’s cream with 18% fat. See that in brackets beside it? It’s not half and half, which is about 10-12%.

• Sue Westhead
      August 20, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Great Britain has some of the most marvelous creams! Their single cream is like the US’s whipping cream. Double cream is so thick it mounds on the spoon. Clotted cream (my absolute favorite with scones and strawberry jam) is hard like cold butter.

16. Suzanne Lucero
    August 20, 2014 at 9:58 am

Supposing, for argument’ s sake, we have been whisked back with Claire to the 18th century. How/when would the egg whites be added? I have visions of a meringue-like foam floating on top.

17. Trish
    August 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

Don’t yell at me, but is there a non-alcoholic version that could work? I know the whisky is an important component, so the answer may be an unqualified no. If I were still in my wonderful Scotch drinking days, I’d be making this for sure.

August 20, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I won’t yell, I promise. 🙂 I can’t think of an alcohol-free substitution…but if you do, please share it here!

• Crystal
      August 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

To have the flavor without the “kick” try using a good flavor extract…I found some at World Market.

18. sarah
    August 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

I’ve only ever had Atholl Brose at Hogmany – it was made with HOT whisky (diluted I think) and cream or milk poured over andthen a few bits of oats sprinkled on top. It was very hot and not all the creamy. I made it from a recipe once that was somewhat different again. I guess there are multiple versions?

August 20, 2014 at 1:07 pm

There are multiple variations of every food item in Scotland. LOL Recipes vary from region to region.

19. Carrie
    August 20, 2014 at 10:59 am

Done without the cream, it is very nearly “shelf-stable” . . . keeps very well in a flask for a week or so.

August 20, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Very good to know…I was unsure about that. Thanks, Carrie!

20. Heather
    August 20, 2014 at 11:14 am

Atholl Brose is the best! My Dad used to make it around holiday time to serve to his friends . In later years I have purchased it ready made in Edinburgh to bring home. Dewars used to use the recipe in their holiday advertisement.

21. Heather
    August 20, 2014 at 11:41 am

What would be a good substitute for the whisky? That may sound a bit ridiculous, seeing as how whisky is an essential ingredient, however I do not drink alcohol. Is there a spice/extract that might do?

August 20, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I don’t know Heather…but if you think of something, please share it here!

22. Mandi
    August 20, 2014 at 11:45 am

“Older recipes call for raw egg whites, but I’ve left those out due to food-safety concerns. Mrs. Fitz, Jenny and other 18th C keepers of chickens didn’t have the salmonella and other problems that plague our modern food distribution system.”

I’m confused about something you said in the article. You claim that in the past they didn’t have salmonella as we do today? Wouldn’t that be backwards?? I would think with all of the FDA regulations our eggs are safer now then they were then!!

Also, can we get the ORIGINAL recipe that DOES include the egg whites??

August 20, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Although you would think modern food systems are safer, it’s simply not true in my experience. I’d much rather buy eggs and meat from a small farmer than from the huge industrialized system that runs our grocery stores now.

If you want the other recipe, I encourage you to research it on your own. 🙂

• MJ Guidry
      August 20, 2014 at 1:55 pm

AMEN! Pet peeve of mine. Yes, back then you would NOT have had to worry about salmonella in fresh eggs. Our food supply is much less safe today, unfortunately. =(

• melissa
      August 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm

If you lived by me I would hate my fresh eggs with you.. As of right now I have 5 hens and 1 rooster but only 2 are old enough to lay eggs so far so I get 2 eggs everyday..you wouldn’t think that is much but they add up quick lol…I can’t imagine once I get 5 a day I will have a fridge full of eggs..If you were close I would let you have them

• Kristine Phillips
      September 8, 2014 at 12:31 pm

just a side note about fresh eggs – you can freeze your extras, either pre-beaten in batches (great for specific recipes or for scrambled eggs) or singly in something like an ice tray, and once frozen put in a freezer bag. Once thaw they can be used in any baking recipe.

• Kristine Phillips
      September 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm

you could try the website http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/athollbroserecipe.php for the recipe with egg whites.

• Noah McLellan
      December 29, 2014 at 5:25 pm

The whisky problem may be as simple as slightly diluting the whisky and bringing it to a boil on the stove, this should evaporate some of the alcohol, but then he suggesting has never found whisky to be a problem so no absolute guarantees.

23. Sarah B
    August 20, 2014 at 11:50 am

If one didn’t do booze, what would be a good substitution?

August 20, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I don’t know, Sarah. If you come up with something, do share!

24. Bree
    August 20, 2014 at 11:54 am

I am not much into alcohol, would it work without the whiskey?

August 20, 2014 at 12:56 pm

That would leave you with oat milk, cream and honey…try it if you want!

• Trish
      August 20, 2014 at 1:37 pm

There are surely other flavorings that could be used to mimic the whisky….suggestions?

August 20, 2014 at 1:39 pm

What comes to your mind?

• Trish
      August 20, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Vanilla or rum flavoring…I don’t know….I’m supplicating at the knee of the expert! If there isn’t a substitute, then the teetotalers among us go without! Laugh

August 20, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Vanilla sounds good! A pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg would also be good. Someone else just mentioned whiskey tea? Never heard of it, but it sounds promising…

• Elise
      August 20, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Did you see the suggestion below of cooking your whiskey to get rid of the alcohol, then cool it- sounds like it’d work.

• melissa
      August 23, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Well I know you don’t drink but if you want the flavor maybe you could cook or boil the alcohol out and just add it after that for the flavor..I have been told if you put it in a pot boil it and catch it on fire by touching a flame to it then it will I guess heat the alcohol out of it ..maybe it is worth a try..

25. suzy
    August 20, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Oh, Lordy! “Cranachan”!! Why didn’tcha say so??? Cranachan was one of the most delicious discoveries on our trip to Scotland. I will DEFINITELY be making this for next week’s episode!

26. Anne M.
    August 20, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I’m wondering how a plain Almond milk would work with this. Ground almond meal has the warm richness of oats and can be used in place of oats for GF diets. Almond milk is available in the organic sections at most grocery stores even in the refrigerated fresh section. Just make sure to get the plain unsweetened to most closely match the plain oat milk.

August 20, 2014 at 12:55 pm

It’s worth a try!

27. Julie Perman
    August 20, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Looking forward to making Gypsy Stew and serving Atholl Brose for a after dinner drink during the show this week! Thanks Theresa for all your amazing recipes I have had so much fun making Outlander them dinners for my husband and I!

• Thoracias
      August 20, 2014 at 2:21 pm

That’s MY plan for Saturday, too! Adding some Irish Soda Bread to go with the stew and considering either the Blueberry Bridies or Banoffee Pie for dessert. Undecided as of yet. lol

August 20, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Decisions, decisions…

28. Cathy
    August 20, 2014 at 12:28 pm

This looks delish!! I was wondering how it is pronounced, too! TIA!!

29. Susan Carr
    August 20, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I dinna think Mrs. Fitz would be throwing out the oats after soaking. I’m sure a thrifty soul such as hers would be coming up with a good use for them, aye.

August 20, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Yes, she probably would have fed them to her chickens…or pigs. I put mine in the compost. I wouldn’t make porridge with these, but you can try if you want!

• Laura
      August 20, 2014 at 5:01 pm

You could make dog treats out of them. That’s what I do with the spent grain from my husband’s brewing (beer). Mix with flour, peanut butter, and egg and bake low and slow until crunchy.

August 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Great idea! I didn’t think of that.

• Rowen G.
      August 20, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I used to mix the squeezed out oats into the dogs’ food, or occasionally use them in a meat loaf or some such.

• Lee Anne
      October 25, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I was just thinking my potbelly pig, Hamlet, would enjoy the excess oats in this recipe!

• Mary Guido
      August 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I think she woulda fed them to her beloved chickens.

30. Amy
    August 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I am really enjoying your intriguing Outlander recipes and photos, and am learning such interesting food history. Thanks!

August 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I love that kind of feedback, Amy! Thanks. 🙂

31. Shawn L. Bird
    August 20, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I’ve got the harps, and I need steady fingers to play, so I’ll leave you all to this very intriguing concoction, while I serenade the hall. 😉

32. Elle
    August 20, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hmmm… if one does not have cheesecloth or muslin, are there any other options?

• Jo S.
      August 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I’d use a very clean dishtowel, draped inside a strainer. Pour in the soaked oats, gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze dry.

• Celyn
      August 20, 2014 at 4:03 pm

You might Try a coffee filter…

August 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm

A very clean dishcloth made from linen or cotton.

• Elle
      August 24, 2014 at 3:28 pm

I ended up with using a coffee filter and it worked perfectly! It turned out great… I’d even say *dangerously good* 🙂

It was pretty strong for my taste though, so future batches will have less whiskey. This is definitely going to become part of future menu options!

• Sue
      August 24, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I was beginning to feel all alone so I was very glad to see your post! It was way, way too strong for me! Sorry to say I didn’t like it at all.

August 24, 2014 at 4:58 pm

You can always add more oat milk, cream and honey!

• Ted Poster
      August 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Un bleached cloth.

• Jen
      August 21, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I have used a t-shirt in a pinch. It worked great!

33. Alicia
    August 20, 2014 at 2:03 pm

If you heat the whisky, the alcohol should cook off and you will be left with the whisky flavored liquid.

• Trish
      August 20, 2014 at 4:29 pm

BRILLIANT!!! OUTSTANDING!!! Will be trying this out!

34. Christy
    August 20, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Thank you for Sharing these! I am looking forward to enjoying all these for a Outlander movie night!

35. Rebecca McKinney
    August 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I made this with just the cream, whiskey and honey years ago and it was like drinking a vanilla milkshake over ice! I’ll have to try it with the oat milk now. Thanks for the delicious recipes!

36. Sue Pepka
    August 20, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Wondering if coconut milk or coconut milk creamer could be a reasonable substitution for the coffee cream?

August 20, 2014 at 4:00 pm

It can be if you want it to! 🙂

37. Fiona Chambers
    August 20, 2014 at 3:12 pm

If you flamed the whisky first you would burn off most if not all of the alcohol while retaining most of the flavour.

38. Cheryl Thompson
    August 20, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Do you think whiskey tea could be used as a substitute for the alcohol? Or would that make it too watery? As near as I can tell, there is no real whisky in it, but it is verra tasty!

August 20, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I’ve never heard of whiskey tea…but if you’re looking for a non-alcoholic substitution, it sounds like it’s worth a shot!

39. Stephanie
    August 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm

It looks like this makes about 3 1/2 cups, does that sound about right? My book club is all hooked on this series and are getting together to watch the show each week. I want to make sure I make enough for everyone.

(I found your site today through the Outlander FB page and I’m in love, thank you)

August 20, 2014 at 4:13 pm

My yield at the top of the recipe is 2 cups. It’s actually more like 2.5 cups

• Stephanie
      August 21, 2014 at 10:18 am

So sorry, I dint see your Yield at the top of the recipe, Thank you!

40. changeling
    August 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm

This is a MUST try! I love oats inn any form.

41. Cherie Chilvers
    August 20, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I will be making this for episode #3 sounds wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Rachel Requet
    August 20, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Would Jack Daniels honey whiskey work? 🙂

43. Elise
    August 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I’m partial to Jameson’s whiskey, it’s a whiskey a Chef I work with suggested for Irish Coffee. I’m not much of a drinker and I’d like to try this and I know I don’t like Kentucky whiskey. So can you make a recommendation that has the taste of Jameson’s?
    Thanks.
    What fun!

August 21, 2014 at 9:23 am

I also love Jameson’s in coffee! If you’re looking for a Scotch whisky, I would suggest The Macallan, Glenlivet or Glenmorangie…neither of those have any peat.

44. Dawn @ Naturally-Texan
    August 20, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Get pastured eggs from a local farmer and salmonella won’t be a problem. Its a problem in CAFO eggs. All those poor birds crammed into a tight space with no fresh air or sunshine much less access to green grass and delicious healthy bugs.

45. Indigo Brude
    August 20, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I just set my oats to soaking! Can’t wait to try this! Thank you for the fun recipes. You’ve inspired me to try making things in the kitchen, and we’re having so much fun!

46. Elena
    August 20, 2014 at 10:48 pm

I made it! It’s in a sealed glass container in the frig. waiting for me until this Saturday’s third episode of Outlander. Thank you Theresa!

47. Lisa Branford
    August 21, 2014 at 10:50 am

OMG! Theresa, this is the bomb! I just put mine together for Saturday night and could not resist licking the whisk. (We’re not supposed to resist licking the whisk, right?) Bailey’s, Schmailey’s – I’ll never buy Irish Cream again. Thanks for another great recipe.

August 21, 2014 at 12:16 pm

isn’t it awesome?! I’m totally sold too.

August 21, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Slainte Mhath, my friend!

• Lisa Branford
      August 22, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Slàinte mhath, my friend and culinary Claire!
      I may have to try this with Butter Shotz in that cocktail with the NSFW name (actually, _two_ NSFW names) as long as I make that batch with a blend, not The Macallan.

48. Indigo Brude
    August 21, 2014 at 11:56 am

Holy coo, this stuff is dangerously yummy!

August 21, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Oooh! Thanks for the reminder. Going to have myself a nip right now.

49. Julie Perman
    August 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Atholl Brose is done and it taste great! Tomorrow I will make the Gypsy Stew and Saturday I will make Irish Soda Bread. Theresa do have good recipe for Soda Bread? Can’t wait till Saturday night! Thanks

August 21, 2014 at 7:21 pm

As a matter of fact I do! And it’s Outlander related. LOL

50. Jen
    August 21, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I just made this. I may have licked the bowl. It is absolutely wonderful!! I am loving all your recipes, thank you!

August 21, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Slainte, Jen!

51. Catherine Jones
    August 21, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Just found you! I’m in love too! Want to try these recipes. So looking forward to next Saturday’s 3rd episode! Thanks!

August 21, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Welcome, Catherine.

52. Catherine Jones
    August 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm

So happy to have found you!

53. Donna Cerjak
    August 21, 2014 at 7:17 pm

This is terrific! Sweet enough, but not overwhelming. I used Jim Beam Black because we had it and, well, I’m from Kentucky, and we do make some fine whiskey here. Thanks Theresa!

54. Thoracias
    August 22, 2014 at 7:06 am

OK got mine mixed up last night. It’s sitting in the fridge waiting for tomorrow’s show! I tried just a sip and it was super strong so I may add a little more cream tomorrow or using it to “cream” my coffee.
    I also used Jim Beam since it’s what I had on hand.

August 22, 2014 at 8:08 am

“Use what you have”is my number one kitchen mantra. If you like it, you can get Scotch next time! 🙂

55. KATHERINE MCNEESE
    August 22, 2014 at 9:50 am

how is Atholl Bros pronounced?

56. Kathy
    August 22, 2014 at 10:04 am

I love this website! It’s so much fun to make these recipes.I have added an Outlander section in my recipe book. My Atholl Brose is currently melding right now! Just one more reason to look forward to Saturday’s show!! Thanks 🙂

August 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

It’s great to have you here, Kathy!

57. Mama Scholl
    August 22, 2014 at 10:16 am

This was touched on earlier but I’m hoping for more insight;
    Why WOULDN’T you use the oats (for instance, heated for breakfast) after the Big Squeeze?

August 22, 2014 at 10:41 am

You can certainly try to make porridge from them, but you have removed most of the starch and a lot of the other goodness by soaking the oats. The porridge just wouldn’t be very good. Compost, animal biscuits, etc are probably better uses, in my mind…and I’m pretty frugal.

58. Jennifer Norman
    August 22, 2014 at 10:50 am

I’ve got my Atholl Brose in the fridge lettin’ the flavor meld. Can’t wait to try it tomorrow night while watching, Outlander :Episode 3!

59. Theresa Goldman
    August 22, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Silly Friday question. Soaking the oats overnibght, in a cool place, refrig. Or just out…. I live in Georgia, hot is a way of life…..

August 22, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Out at room temperature is fine.

• Lisa Branford
      August 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I soaked mine on top of the plates in my cupboard. My cats are culinary-curious.

60. Tabetha Butler
    August 23, 2014 at 8:01 am

I’m hooked!!! My Atholl Brose is keeping in the frig for tonight!! I have loved the Outlander books since they came out and now I have something more to love!! Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes!! Living in Western New York, the Atholl Brose is going to become a staple for our cold winter nights reading the next Gabaldon book!!! Thank you for your recipes!!

61. Mona in San Diego
    August 23, 2014 at 9:52 am

We are having a beach pot luck, and I’ll give this a go for the San Diego Outlander fandom. In fact, I will float a suggestion that we have a pot luck in the future with just your recipes. Stay tuned for pictures.

62. Mary Guido
    August 23, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Mine is chilling now, however, I had this wee bottle of maple syrup in front of me, so I used that instead of honey. I had to taste it of course and… Yum!

I will not be able to watch e3 tonight as I am going folk dancing, but I will be having it tomorrow.

Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous recipes!

63. Shelby Jean
    August 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Can’t get to Starz tonight so I whipped up a batch. Only soaked oats about 5 hours, doubled it all up and WOWZER! Am loving it, what a way to warm up on a cold day. Next time I will try some vanilla, cinnamon and a wee bit more honey. Should have saved the oats for bread, meatloaf, meatballs, maybe even make plain old oatmeal. Note that I am not a whisky type person but after the first sip, yeah.

64. Debbie Helton
    August 23, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Enjoyed this awesome cocktail during Episode 3. Never been a scotch whisky enthusiast before, but this recipe is delicious!

65. Mary Guido
    August 24, 2014 at 11:11 am

Follow up… this was fantastic and way too easy to drink. Second batch in the works, doubled so I can gift some to fellow Outlander fans!

August 24, 2014 at 12:56 pm

It’s very popular around here too! Your friends will love it.

66. Bridgette Walker
    August 24, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I am so excited to have found your website! It is SOOOOOO cool! I certainly plan to try many of the tasty items you give. I printed a couple already. For some reason I can’t get the printable version to come up on this drink. Also, what is the difference between subscribing by email and visiting the website?

August 24, 2014 at 5:00 pm

You’ll get an email every time I post a new recipe if you subscribe 🙂

67. KATHERINE MCNEESE
    August 25, 2014 at 11:13 am

THIS turned out GREAT!!!
    thank you!

68. Stephanie
    August 25, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I made this for this weeks viewing party and it was SO GOOD! I will be making this again for sure, maybe every week 😉

August 26, 2014 at 9:16 am

Glad you liked it!

69. Pam
    August 25, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I used Dewar’s White Label (it was more in my price range) but I used half and half. 🙁 Since I feel the Scotch amount was a bit strong (can’t believe I said that since I am a Scotch drinker), I may pick up some whipping cream and add a bit of that to what is left in the fridge. The half and half is definitely not creamy enough.

70. Edie
    August 26, 2014 at 5:27 am

I made this with a few changes.

Just for giggles, get your “of age” college boys to help you and talk with bad Scottish accents while you do it- -great fun!

I substituted non-dairy coffee creamer in the hazelnut flavor, as we have some in our house who are allergic to dairy. That was yummy.

I took the strained oats and added them to my favorite bread recipe with an additional amount of flour that was roughly equivalent to double the amount of squeezed out oats. I don’t think this can be an exact measurement, as it would need to adjust with each recipe, but it made a very tasty, beautifully textured rustic loaf which we cut and ate warm with cheese and honey while we drank our Atholl Brose. In our group of friends, we collectively took a sip every time Jamie said “Sassenach”.

Great fun.

71. Suzanne Lucero
    August 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I just had a thought. I’ll bet the type of honey you use in this drink will make it taste differently. For instance, if given a choice I prefer wildflower honey to clover honey. Would you like to make a comparison Theresa? Make two batches and have the only difference between them be the type of honey used? If there is a noticeable difference, then to be totally authentic you’d have to research what type of honey is native to the Highlands and use that. Happy taste testing. 😉

August 27, 2014 at 10:59 am

Great idea, Suzanne…but I have lots of my own experiments to do! Let me know if you do a comparison. I know from my research that heather honey is traditional in Atholl Brose.

• Suzanne Lucero
      August 29, 2014 at 6:23 am

After searching around a bit and reading comments, the best place for us in the U.S. to buy heather honey is either directly from a supplier in the U.K. or from Amazon, provided you check to make sure it came from the U.K. in the first place. I may have to order a bit myself to taste-test. 😉

August 29, 2014 at 7:03 am

Thanks for the tip!

72. Judy Workman
    August 29, 2014 at 2:41 am

Just a quick question? Has anyone come up with some substitute for the Whisky? I know… I know, I should probably be banished from Scotland just for the thought of this! But, I am really not a Whisky drinker at all. I would love to experiment with this and see if there is anything else that might work instead? I did read in one of the above posts, Lisa Branford mentioned something about using Buttershotz… I am thinking maybe I’ll try something like that in place of the Whisky? I don’t mind the alcohol, just not keen on the Whisky.

• Suzanne Lucero
      August 29, 2014 at 3:01 am

About 30 years ago I sampled a Canadian whiskey called Yukon Gold. It was marketed as “the black sheep of whiskies” because it was so sweet, not sharpish like others. Maybe you could find some at a liquor store and give that a try?

August 29, 2014 at 7:04 am

Go for it! Try whatever you think you’d drink. Slainte!

73. Judy Workman
    August 30, 2014 at 11:41 am

I found a bottle of Dewar’s Highland Honey Whisky and went with that. Since we’re not such Whisky drinkers, I only added 1/2 cup of the whisky rather than the whole cup. I also used a bit more of the cream and used a Cinnamon Vanilla flavored one. I have some heavy cream and I think I may add a bit of that to the final product? I did taste a wee bit before placing it in the fridge… Quite good so far! I am now almost wishing I had doubled the recipe?

74. Connie K
    August 30, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Soaked my oats last night and made the drink today. It’s in the fridge….steeping. I did use less whisky than called for, as the whisky I bought is strong. I used a bit more honey, as well. I took a sip — it tastes yummy. My plan is to share it and some Colum’s Shortbread with Jamie..uh, I mean, my husband!!!!

75. cindy
    August 30, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Made this (with a bit less whisky) and it was good. Too strong for me but the hubs loved it. We teach Scottish Country dancing and brought some to our class…..they loved it too! Was able to introduce many to your blog in order for them to get the recipe! 🙂

76. kathy
    September 3, 2014 at 11:41 am

So I made Athol Brose to have when I watched Episode 2 here in Canada. I must say, I was so very pleasantly surprised by how nice this tasted…it was very smooth and not at all difficult to make. The hardest decision I had to make was what type of Scotch Whisky I was going to use as I know nothing about this drink. I choose Ballantines. I also used the recipe with the heavy cream and I believe this contributed to the smooth taste. Enjoy!

77. Kelly
    September 12, 2014 at 11:24 am

I will surely be making this for tomorrow night’s episode :oD

78. SE Gimenez-Querol
    September 12, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Im a fan!!
    Do you have any recipes for the discarded soaked oats? I doubt that people in 18th century Scotland would have discarded those, with all the food shortage and difficulties with getting foodstuff supplies in the winter.
    Thanks!

September 12, 2014 at 2:53 pm

The soaking removes all the starch from the oats, so many recipes won’t work. If you decide to experiment yourself, let us know what you discover!

79. Sara
    September 12, 2014 at 4:21 pm

That sounds wonderful! Have you heard of Endinburgh Fog? In Glasgow we made it with toasted cut oats and double cream. An amazing dessert with fresh raspberries!

September 13, 2014 at 8:52 am

I have! Although I know it by another name…watch for the recipe next week. 😉

80. Julie Perman
    September 13, 2014 at 7:32 am

Theresa, so many great recipes! I made Atholl Brose again because my husband loved it so much. I am not a big whisky fan but I have a feeling I might need it to get through tonight’s episode. I am going to make the lamb sausage with whiskey cream sauce and hasselback potatoes for tonight’s them dinner.

81. Karen Eismann
    September 13, 2014 at 10:09 am

Just made this and can’t wait to have some tonight with Jamie and Claire! Happy Outlander Day !!

82. Trish R.
    September 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I made a triple batch of this last week for our Outlander watch party. Four people threw back most of it. Oh. So. Good.

83. Terry
    September 21, 2014 at 10:13 am

Last night for the wedding on TV, I made the Atholl Brose using the world famous Albertson’s grocery store brand of “authentic” Scotch Whisky on sale for $5.99. I got that to try your recipe for Cherry Bounce, which I have brewing in my pantry. It should be ready by Christmas or New Year’s, so I have that to look forward to tasting. Anyway the Atholl Brose is amazing even using cheap whiskey! I sipped a glass, then two while I watched the program. I had the leftover cut oats from making the oat milk called for in the recipe, so instead of discarding the strained oats as suggested, I refrigerated them and made myself a yummy oat meal gruel with raisins and cinnamon for breakfast. Yum! Makes me feel better for the creamy indulgence last night.

I love your Blog. I love reading the background and history of the food and it is wonderful to connect with the books that way. Thank you!

84. Romy
    September 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

It is delicious! Just tried it (although I only used 1/2 cup of whisky) and I’m in love with it! Thank you for this 🙂

Greetings from Germany

85. Jill
    September 28, 2014 at 11:48 am

I am happy with the whiskey and using American half and half in the recipe. A flavored honey might be an interesting recipe twist. For a non-alcoholic recipe I would suggest substituting a strongly brewed black tea, maybe even a smoky tea for the whiskey.

86. Jill
    September 28, 2014 at 11:55 am

Use the discarded oats as a mild skin scrub/exfoliant/mask. Just add some honey (like a tablespoon) slather on face/arms, let set for a few minutes–5 or 10, then rinse with water.
    Or use in a bath to address itchy skin.

Or cut the leftover oats into shapes, dry and use to feed birds outside in winter.

September 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Great ideas!

87. Ellen Christine
    October 29, 2014 at 10:25 am

There’s a whole fleet of non-dairy milks on the market, and one of them is Pacific Organic Oat non-dairy beverage. I use it for hot chocolate, too. Just in case you don’t have any oats on hand, that is. And a thought for the thrifty: if you own a dehydrator, use the soaked strained oats in one of your cracker recipes, and that should work fine.
    As to the egg whites, my Mom always whipped hers for egg nog, and blended the liquid and the beaten whites together carefully for loft.

88. Sam Umek
    October 29, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Theresa,
    Could you use pasteurized egg whites instead of fresh egg whites? As for alcohol substitution, I used to use brandy and rum flavoring to make virgin drinks. I couldn’t tell the difference as for taste.
    They just didn’t have the kick. Do you drink the Atholl Brose cold, hot or either?

November 2, 2014 at 10:38 am

Sure! Pasteurized would be safer, that’s for sure! I keep my atholl Brose in the fridge and serve it cold, but it’s also shelf stable, in which case I would serve it on ice.

89. Mary
    November 26, 2014 at 9:56 am

Since it’s become one of my staple special-occasion beverages lately, I made some Atholl Brose last night/this morning for Thanksgiving. I made it with rather an abundance of half and half. Then I thought to myself, “I wonder how this would taste in my coffee.” I can tell you that it’s a verra fine combination.

90. mardi
    November 30, 2014 at 1:48 am

made Atholl Brose yesterday with Grants whisky, let it sit overnight and day, it made one and half small bottles. Took the half bottle my Uncle Atholl’s, as I wanted to try it in company. I think I have a new favourite drink, the first (wee) glass was interesting as we got the taste, but by the second it was delicious, and I finished off the last wee bit. I will definitely be making it again, especially for my work do’ with colleagues…. and I put the used grains out on a dish for the biordds, all gone by end of day. Thank you Theresa for a great Blog, I come in here all the time since I found you…

November 30, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it, and what a great idea to use up the grain!

91. Denise
    December 21, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thank you for this divine Atholl Brose recipe. I made a batch a few nights ago (with Grant’s Family Reserve Blended Scotch Whisky) and whole-heartedly agree that it tastes even better on day 2 or 3. I used clover honey which has a distinctive taste, not too strong IMO. My father loves whisky so I will be making a special batch for him as a Christmas present this year. I’m sure he will appreciate it as much as I do.

PS. The ducks were happy devouring the oat leftovers.

92. Dawn
    December 23, 2014 at 7:41 am

I changed it up for the holidays! I used spiced rum and added cinnamon and vanilla! Then I threw a cinnamon stick in it for good measure!

93. mardi
    December 25, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Blast, the forgetful elf kicked in again.. made a new batch of AB to take to my daughter’s as a gift for her partner, to go with a cute hip flask I had bought him. got there and found the AB had been left behind..! doh!! what’s a flask with nought to put in it..???

94. Denise
    December 27, 2014 at 12:11 am

My Atholl Brose went down a treat with my father … quite quickly actually! I’ve now referred him to this recipe and he is making his own. I made another batch this morning using full cream this time, verra rich, verra delicious, verra doing it again.

95. Ann Z
    January 3, 2015 at 7:56 pm

I made this for a Scottish-themed NYE party this year. I made it Sunday and Monday so that it would have a couple of days to mellow. It was really well-received, but I had a bit left over, and just tried it again tonight and wow! It was good on Wednesday, it was amazing tonight (Saturday night). I’d recommend giving it as many days to age as you can.

• mardi
      January 9, 2015 at 2:44 am

AnnZ, I wasn’t game to keep it too long, as I thought that the cream may not last. I guess the whisky gives it staying power…. ? now I will try it again, with the aim to keep it longer .

January 9, 2015 at 6:12 am

I have kept ours for 3 weeks, and it was delicious and fresh to the end, despite the best before date on the cream being at least a week shorter. It does separate, so it needs a quick shake or stir.

96. Deb Casteel
    January 14, 2015 at 12:08 am

My husband and I have truly enjoyed your site and recipes. We are part of a Scottish dance club in Belgium and I made AB and Shepherd’s pie for our Ceilidh in December. Everyone loved it and asked if I’d make AB for Burns Night in a couple of weeks. We currently have 140 people attending the formal dinner and I wondered if you have any suggestions for making the recipe in a large batch? I’m planning to increase the amounts in the proportions you gave and hope for the best. I’m sure that everyone will enjoy it. Thank you, again for your recipes and keep up the good work!

January 14, 2015 at 5:39 pm

It should be ok, Deb…and how exciting! My only advice is to check the seasoning.

97. Deb Williams
    April 26, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I refuse to waste perfectly good soaked oats just because its not required for this recipe. Goes against the scottish frugal ethic to waste good food. After draining the oats whack them into a clean bowl and and add all the other ingredients required for a Bircher Muesli. Not scottish but delicious in any case.

April 27, 2015 at 7:16 am

Good for you. I guess you told me. Enjoy.

98. Tara
    May 24, 2015 at 2:12 am

Atholl Brose would be a delicious substitute for Irish Cream in a bushwacker. It’s the best adult milkshake and a local favorite here on the Gulf Coast. I’ve seen several variations of the bushwacker.

99. Mardi P
    May 25, 2015 at 3:42 am

yay,, another successful batch.. ! made AB for a wee gathering in Wellington NZ, (3 gatherings around the North Island last Sunday) and it went down ‘verra well’ ..! only a group of 12, and some hadn’t heard of OK, but have now! most tried the AB and pronounced it ‘would try again” .. Thanks again Theresa, for your great site, and must say that your kitchen is looking great.

100. Denise
    December 22, 2015 at 8:40 pm

This has become a firm favourite especially at Christmas time as it makes a perfect homemade gift for whisky lovers. Looking forward to starting my next batch this evening. Merry Christmas Theresa!

101. Irene Jankowski
    December 28, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Well, I made a half recipe (to be sure I’d like it & not toss out a full cup of Macallan). It’s chilling now in my refrigerator. I’m going to toast the New Year in with a wee bit. I used Macallan 12, organic wildflower honey, “oat milk” (no dairy added). I emulsified the steel cut oats and strained the liquid repeatedly, until I couldn’t see any traces of oat sediment. I’ll use the soaked oats for breakfast tomorrow. (note: oats were soaked 36hours) I’ll let you know how my Atholl Brose turns out.

102. Trish
    January 1, 2016 at 7:22 am

I always have to quadruple this recipe as one batch doesn’t last very long. So good! Happy new year!