Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Cider Sauce, Neeps and Tatties – Outlander on STARZ Episode 104

Outlander on Starz

We’ve got a big night coming up at Castle Leoch this Saturday! MacKenzie men are traveling from near and far to pledge their troth to the Laird, and once the dirk kissing and quaich quenching are done, they’ll spend the night in the Great Hall, drinking and feasting until the sun once again glows through the thick glass to wake everyone for the tynchal.

(Because it’s always a  good idea to get yourself a knife-sharp, eye-blurring hangover before heading out into the woods to bring down an animal with tusks as sharp as your sword.)

I think I’ll stay in the kitchen with Mrs. Fitz and her maids. I’m of much more use once the boar is on the butcher’s block.

Outlander on STARZ

Let’s take a minute to admire the roomy domain of the castle cook – I admit I’ve got a fresh case of kitchen envy.

Great roaring fires, fresh herbs covering the work bench and a few extra pairs of hands to help with the work, including plucking those geese hanging over by the window after they’ve had a few extra days to ripen.

It certainly wouldn’t be a walk in the park to feed all those people day after day, but I’d sure like to try it for a week.  Would you?

mortar-pestle copy

This week’s recipes celebrate the Gathering. The roast pork is in honour of the boar, and alongside I’m serving the classic Scottish combination of neeps and tatties. More on those down below.

First up is a pork tenderloin rubbed with sage and garlic, and served with a cider pan sauce. I pulled out my mortar and pestle to grind the rub and help me get better in touch with my inner 18th Century cook, but a small food processor will work too.

The whole meal comes together in under an hour.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

(Click the title below for a printable version of the recipe.)

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Cider Sauce

:A savoury and fork-tender main dish worthy of the MacKenzie and the busy kitchens of his Castle Leoch.

Serves 2 to 3

• Pork Tenderloin – 1 lb
  • Sage Leaves – 6 to 8
  • Garlic, peeled – 1 clove
  • Salt – 1 tsp
  • Peppercorns – 12 (or ½ tsp ground pepper if using food processor)
  • Olive Oil – 1 Tble and 1 tsp (divided)
  • Apple Cider – 1 Cup (see notes)
  • Apple Cider Vinegar – ⅓ Cup
  • Fresh Thyme – 1 Sprig (optional)
  • Honey – 2 Tble
  • Butter – 1 Tble

Move oven rack to upper middle position and heat to 400° F.

Remove silver skin from tenderloin. (How to video here.)

Combine the sage, garlic, salt and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or small food processor. Pound and mash (or pulse) into an almost smooth paste. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Spread herb paste over pork. Heat heavy pan over medium high, brush with 1 teaspoon oil. When oil just begins to smoke, add pork and sear until golden on all sides, about 4 minutes.

Remove pan from heat, transfer pork to baking dish and roast in oven until internal temperature reaches 145° F, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and tent with foil to keep warm.

While pork cooks, return pan to element and add cider, vinegar and optional thyme, scraping up brown bits. Reduce liquid over medium high until ½ cup remains. Reduce heat to low, stir in honey to dissolve, then finish with butter.  Whisk until smooth.

Slice meat, serve hot with cider sauce and neeps and tatties, or side dish of your choice.

Store leftovers in fridge for up to 3 days.

Ith do leòr! (Eat Plenty)

• Use your choice of alchoholic (hard) cider, or non-alcoholic (soft) cider.
  • To ensure the pork cooks evenly, fold the thin tail end of the tenderloin under itself as you put the meat into the pan to sear, and keep it folded under while in the oven.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As promised, after the main dish come the sides, and there are few side dishes as Scottish as neeps and tatties.

Neep is Scottish for rutabaga, as it is commonly known in parts of North America, or Swede, as many Commonwealth countries call it. Swedish turnip, yellow turnip, tumshie and baigie are just a few of its other names. Botanically, it is a cross between a turnip and wild mustard, and was first documented in 1620, growing in the wild in Sweden. It’s the slightly yellowish mound on the left in the above picture.

As for the tatties, aka potatoes, there is some question as to whether or not Castle Leoch would have had potatoes in 1743. Potatoes were first introduced into Scotland in that very year by a clan chief returning from a visit to Ireland, but since Jamie was unfamiliar with them in Dragonfly in Amber, it’s unlikely that said chief was a MacKenzie (or a Fraser, for that matter).

On the other hand, by 1800, potatoes accounted for approximately 80% of a Highlander’s diet, so having them on the plate isn’t too terribly anachronistic, aye?

rutabaga

(Click the title below for a printable version of the recipe.)

Neeps and Tatties

:A Scottish union of epic proportions, these two vegetables are the traditional accompaniment to Haggis.

Serves 2 to 3

• Rutabega, Swede, Yellow Turnip – ½ lb
  • Yukon Gold Potatoes – 1 lb (see notes)
  • Butter – ⅓ Cup
  • Whipping Cream – 3 Tble
  • Salt & Pepper – to taste

Peel rutabaga, cut into 2” chunks, and place in a pot with ½” water. Add a healthy pinch of salt to water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium high.

Peel potatoes if desired (see notes), quarter and place in pot with ½” water. Add a healthy pinch of salt to water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium high.

When both pots are boiling, reduce to medium low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and return to their respective pans.

Mash rutabaga until smooth. Stir in half the butter and 1 tablespoon of cream. Season to taste. Cover to keep warm.

Mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in remaining butter and cream. Season to taste.

Serve hot with Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Cider Sauce, or the main dish of your choice..

Store leftovers in fridge for up to 3 days.

Ith do leòr! (Eat Plenty)

• Yukon Gold potatoes are yellow-fleshed tubers higher in moisture than Russets.
  • The skin of my potatoes was tender enough to leave on. I love the added texture and nutrition that comes with leaving the skin on. Peel yours if you prefer.
  • For those of you who are having a coronary just looking at the amount of butter, know that I dramatically reduced the amount compared to most traditional recipes I found.  Feel free to add as much (or as little) butter as you like.

clapshot-rosti copy

For those of you who may prefer an updated version of neeps and tatties, I made a gorgeous rösti (potato pancake) using this recipe. I omitted the carrot, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. When you mash neeps and tatties together, you get clapshot, so this is known as a clapshot rösti.

It was delicious served with seared tuna and an arugula and apple salad, but would equally be at home on the plate with the tenderloin and cider sauce from above.

I also thought it would be easier to eat, finger-food style, along with a glass of Atholl Brose, in front of the TV than the traditional n&t.

Other Outlander Kitchen recipes that pair with Episode 104:  The Gathering

1. Suzanne Lucero
    August 27, 2014 at 5:36 am

Here’s something you might like to try with neeps & tatties. Boiling root vegetables leeches the vitamin C and any other water-soluble nutrients from the food. I’ve had great success cooking my potatoes in milk to cover (making sure the milk never comes to a boil because then things burn and turn nasty). Then I pour about half the milk into a bowl and mash the potatoes in the remaining milk, adding some of the reserved liquid if it’s too dry. Add salt and voila! Creamy mashed potatoes without the cream or butter. Never tried it with “neeps” before but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work just as well.

I also like to add a few peeled cloves of garlic to the potatoes as they’re cooking in the milk and then mash them all together for garlic mashed potatoes. Yum!

• Beth Firek
      September 22, 2014 at 12:36 pm

My family loved this dinner. Thank you!
      I have made Pork Tenderloin many times, but this was so flavorful and moist.
      Great recipe, this will go into my meal rotation.

2. Aaron
    August 27, 2014 at 5:44 am

I am so happy, pork tenderloin was buy one get one free at the store last week!! Sunday dinner is going to be wonderful!

August 27, 2014 at 10:56 am

Woohoo!

3. Lynn Meyer
    August 27, 2014 at 6:13 am

I just happen to have some fresh sage at home from another recipe. And company is coming this weekend, so I can just double the recipe. And, best of all, pork is my favorite meat!

August 27, 2014 at 10:55 am

I love it when dinner is almost fated. 😉

4. William Still
    August 27, 2014 at 9:31 am

Wouldn’t it be great to cook in such a kitchen as they have at Castle Leoch. I have cooked over open fires many times. I grew up on a cattle ranch out here in Arizona and I would help the cook when I was young to prepare all the meals during round up. Cooking biscuits in a dutch oven or stirring a pot of chili in a huge 5 gallon cast iron kettle. Oh what fun it was and that is why I would enjoy cooking in this kitchen. Great recipes and I love the combination of neeps and potatoes especially when I add some fresh chives in.

August 27, 2014 at 10:55 am

Sounds like a dream come true, William!

5. Sharon Burns
    August 27, 2014 at 10:43 am

All of my grandparents were immigrants to the US. My father’s father was Scottish and his wife English. My mother’s parents came from Ireland. It is amazing how close my cooking resembles these authentic recipes. We, of course, have our own family secrets for making potato pancakes and the batter for our fish n’ chips! Before my mother passed, she hunted for the perfect hand graters for grating potatoes, so that all of her daughters and granddaughters could reproduce her recipe exactly. We never use a food processor because it cannot give the exact same texture. Thank you for sharing these recipes. I am enjoying them immensely.
    An essay I wrote about food and my heritage:
    “Sensing My Heritage” By Sharon L. Burns, MFA

For many immigrants, like my grandparents, their heritage existed in memories of the “Old Country.” If they came from England, their senses were triggered when they recalled the scent of the salt spray against the cliffs at Dover, the sting of the crystallized water blown by the sea breeze against their cheeks, and the salty taste of their wind cracked lips. If they hailed from Ireland, their memories were infused with thoughts of the bone jarring trail Beara Way. The aches and pains caused by the boulder strewn, deeply rutted road seemed to melt away as the valley below was unveiled in its kaleidoscope of colors. The palette was as much a feast for the eyes, as the crops planted in the patchwork fields became a feast for a once starving country. The deepest of thoughts, however, could not fathom the inky depths of the frigid Loch Ness. The chill traveling the spine might have been caused by the still, damp air trapped by the surrounding Scottish mountains or from the mysteries of the Loch recognized by the blood of druid ancestors. Somehow, heritage is ultimately linked through our memories with our senses.

I am only a genetic combination of these immigrants and have no inherent memories of the Old Country. Yet, I, too, am linked with my heritage. At first, I thought my connection was through the town in which I was raised. Kearny, New Jersey was once a center for Irish, English, and Scottish immigrants. As I grew, the town seemed to imitate the lands of its immigrant citizens. Every St. Patrick’s Day, the yellow stripes down Kearny Avenue were painted green. Even the children partook of the plentitude of green beer and joyously danced in the parade route brimming with bagpipes and kilts. The avenue was lined with shops catering to the immigrant families including the Scottish butchers, bakers, English fish& chip restaurants, and the Irish linens and craft shops. But, I have found that the town itself was deceitful. As the original immigrants have moved away or passed on, new immigrants have infiltrated the area. The avenue now boasts a myriad of Portuguese stores. Only a few fish & chip restaurants cling stubbornly to their corners on the avenue. A town is, after all, only sterile bricks placed upon sterile ground.

My memories, however, are still brimming with my heritage. The delicious aroma of deep fried fish and chips assaults me as I walk into the fish and chip restaurant in my mind, just as I had every Friday of my youth. The crackle and pop of the hot grease was frightening but not enough to keep me from joining my family at a nearby table. The waitress tossed the newspaper lined baskets of fish and chips on the table before us. My dad smeared tartar sauce across his fish; mom sprinkled malted vinegar and salt on her chips. I smothered both in the malted vinegar and catsup. The only unadulterated food on my plate was the creamy, tart coleslaw. The chips were crisp chunks of unpeeled potato, and even through the excessive condiments, I could savor their fresh flavor.

My thoughts of fish and chips have inspired other memories. The spicy taste of a Scottish meat pie eaten plain, with Worcestershire Sauce, or with my childhood favorite catsup stirs memories of my heritage. My father may have eaten blood pudding and haggis, but my adventurous spirit only goes as far as steak and kidney pie or perhaps Bridies. Forfar Bridies are comprised of beef sausage and onions inside a light puff pastry turnover, and they melt in the mouth. My toes curl at the memory of the delicate crumbly treat. The smell of the sausage and onions baking remind me of my mother’s sausage stuffing at Thanksgiving.

My senses link me to my heritage through the foods that I eat, and yet, they help me to create and recognize a new heritage. Just as my grandparents are linked to the places where they were born through their senses, I too am linked to my place of birth, America. Heat sears my face as I lean toward the oven, and I baste the roasting turkey. The scent of sage and fennel radiates throughout the house. My sisters set the dining room table with sparkling crystal goblets, polished silver, and elegant bone china. The raucous laughter of the men watching football penetrates the din of the children playing in the piles of leaves in the backyard. I look out the steamy kitchen window. The vibrant colors of the children’s jackets seem to meld with nature’s hues as they play. A bright orange pumpkin sitting on a rotting tree stump grins at the children’s antics.

My senses recognize America as my heritage, and yet, I reach for a piece of shortbread. The buttery sweetness dissolves in my mouth, and somehow, there is a subtle recognition of my eternal link to the Old Country.

6. mary donohoe
    August 27, 2014 at 10:48 am

Cant wait to try some of these .

August 27, 2014 at 10:54 am

Let us know what you think, Mary!

7. Elaine Boyle
    August 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’m diabetic and often substitute rutabagas for potatoes, especially when I make veggie soup, because there are a lot less carbs in them.

8. Mary Simmons
    August 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm

It’s a done deal, I am making this on Saturday night. All of your recipes have been delicious, and thanks for checking out our tweets of what we have been making (bookchick48). I’d love to be in the Castle kitchen; my friends swear I was a kitchen wench in my past. Thanks again for helping us plan another lovely Outlander meal for this stunning show. Waited twenty years for this show, and it is phenomenal.

• Jan Anderson
      August 27, 2014 at 7:30 pm

AGREED!! Our book club has been waiting for years too (15? since we read it) and it IS phenomenal….everything we could have hoped for…and more!

9. Jan Anderson
    August 27, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Aloha from Maui, Hawaii.

Yay! I was happy to see this recipe today Theresa! It’s something I think I can handle! I’ve got my book club lassies and mistresses coming over for an Outlander Episode 1-3 marathon viewing party tomorrow night and this will be a right treat for them 🙂 …and I’ve already got a Neep! yay!

I’m going to try to make your bannocks as well….though to be honest…this is scaring me as I’m not much of a cook, sadly! haha But I will try! I do have a question though….I’ve got a wheat intolerance…..do you think I could do all Oat Flour? or do you know of some way to change up the recipe a bit to use just Oat Flour, no wheat? I know the consistency might not be exactly the same, but if you found a recipe with just oats, I’d really be interested in hearing about that. My tummy will thank you kindly!

Aloha ka kou! Jan

August 27, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I know of a couple of people who used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour in this recipe and had great results. That’s my best suggestion.

• Jan Anderson
      August 27, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Thank you Theresa, I’ll give it a try 🙂 Also tackling the Oat drink! It’ll be a kitchen day for me tomorrow for sure!

Mahalo nui (thank you very much) Jan

10. Jeanne
    August 27, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Can’t wait to make this one Theresa!

11. Lisa
    August 28, 2014 at 2:21 am

You reminded me that my mother used to make rutabagas for Thanksgiving every year. She would include some potato when mashing so it would cut the bitterness of the rutabaga (at least that was her story). I LOVED this, however, a lot of the family did not. I’ve never made this for my husband and daughter, but perhaps I should. If they don’t care for it then “more for me”!

12. Judy Workman
    August 29, 2014 at 2:27 am

Ohhhh I am going to have to try some version of this meal even though I did have a rather blehhh pork roast last week… Last week’s dinner was one of those which the less said about, the better? Let’s just say that my breakfast parritch was the highlight of the day as far as cooking went!

This week I am determined to make a more successful feast! Hmmmm, now no one in my family is overly fond of the turnips… but I am thinking I might give them a try anyway? I think I might be able to pass the neeps off to the family if I do the clapshot! I just have to mention that when I went to the linked recipe for the rosti, I was suddenly swept up with memories of such deliciousness! The other recipe listed there was for loin of venison with sloe gin glaze… My childhood was spent eating a lot of venison, but I never cared for it or appreciated it until I lived in Germany and had it with a similar type glaze! Now, I am totally distracted with thoughts of where I might find some venison?! Then there was the recipe for parsnip crisps as well- I haven’t had them in ages but am now tempted to find them too!Ffried parsnips smothered in butter, another memory of my childhood!

I really can not wait to put together this week’s menu… even if I end up being the only one who enjoys it! Now, I just need to come up with a proper dessert!

13. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    August 29, 2014 at 11:20 am

Because it’s always a good idea to get yourself a knife-sharp, eye-blurring hangover before heading out into the woods to bring down an animal with tusks as sharp as your sword.

OT — Tell that to the now deceased King Robert on Game of Thrones! Ha!

On Topic–this meal looks delicious! I just may try it.

14. Kimberly
    August 29, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Looking forward to trying this tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll get my husband to watch episodes 1-3 while I cook

August 30, 2014 at 1:29 pm

My husband loves the show…good luck with yours!

15. Lynda Schreiner
    August 30, 2014 at 10:19 am

I’m making this pork tenderloin recipe tonight for my Outlander viewing party. Thanks for sharing, Theresa!

16. Patti
    August 30, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Just bought everything I need to make this for Outlander dinner tonight!

August 30, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Eat well!

• Patti
      August 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Was wonderful!

17. Laura
    August 30, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and it was fabulous! My kids even ate the mashed rutabagas and enjoyed them! I am looking forward to creating another Outlandish Meal for next weeks episode! Thank you!

18. Wendy
    August 30, 2014 at 7:37 pm

My Good Husband ( the cook in the family- I’m the baker) made these tonight. Oh, my. SO good! Thanks for these recipes!

19. Shannon Hobbs
    August 30, 2014 at 7:49 pm

My sister and I made the pork lion and netties tonight. It was so incredible. The flavors are unique, delicious, and simply wonderful to eat. I can’t say enough about how flavorful the cider sauce and pork loin are! Thank you so much. Now we are ready to enjoy Outlander!

20. cindy
    August 30, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Made both the pork and the neeps & tatties for tonights dinner. Both the hubs and I LOVED it! Totally will be making it again. The cider sauce was the best. Looking forward to nexts weeks item. 🙂

21. Lynda Schreiner
    August 30, 2014 at 9:16 pm

This recipe was a huge success! I will definitely make it again.

August 31, 2014 at 11:07 am

Good to hear!

22. carol zielke
    August 31, 2014 at 9:35 am

no particular objection to tatties, BUT since the book makes a huge point of claire telling jamie’s sister to PLANT POTATOES and seed potatoes had to be ordered, then, yes, this IS a huge anachronism in the context of the storyline.

23. carol zielke
    August 31, 2014 at 9:35 am

August 31, 2014 at 11:06 am

Then don’t make the potatoes — it’s just that easy. Enjoy your day.

24. Cynthia
    September 1, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I made the Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Cider Sauce on Saturday. It was truly divine! My family really enjoyed and were surprised by how tender and flavorful it was. I did check after 20 minutes in the oven and then checked every 5 min to see if the temperature got to 145F I hand chopped all the spices to go on top of the pork. It was a great learning experience and I got to immerse myself in 1743 when they didn’t have food processors! Great fun! Looking forward to the next dish to make in inspiration of Outlander!

September 1, 2014 at 3:52 pm

That sounds like fun! But then I love every single minute I spend in the kitchen

25. Deb Casteel
    September 4, 2014 at 12:15 am

Thank you, so much, for the time you’ve spent developing these amazing recipes. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the tenderloin recipe as well as the tatties and neeps. We’re in a Scottish dance group and I will definitely be making some of your recipes for our next Ceilidh. Thanks!

26. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    September 4, 2014 at 9:59 am

I was able to make the meal but without the Neeps. You can see my results here: http://drangedinaz.wordpress.com/2014/08/30/outlandish-adventures-in-cooking/ I loved the Tenderloin and will definitely be making it again. Thanks!

27. Stephanie
    September 4, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Made the cider pork roast tonight for dinner. This was super easy and it is THE BEST pork roast I have ever had! My kids loved it. Only thing, I can’t find apple cider here in Hawaii so I had to use apple juice. What I would give for a good cup of cider off of an Indiana orchard right now!

28. Shari
    September 5, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I made the pork tonight with mashed sweet potatoes. My kids INHALED it. Yum!

29. Joan
    September 12, 2014 at 11:53 am

This was fabulous!! The rave reviews go to the cider reduction! My husband and son-in-law are still talking about it, a week later. I will definitely be cooking this meal again and buying myself a mortar and pestal!

30. Amy
    September 13, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I am making the pork tenderloin for this weeks episode as we had company in town for last week’s. My husband bought some Scotch which we’ll be enjoying during tonight’s showing. I am also going to re-watch last week’s episode. Tonight.

Thank you so much for creating this website and sharing all of these recipes. I’ve really enjoyed this. My brother-in-law wants me to make the Athole drink for Christmas. We are going to sprinkle some cinnamon on top 🙂

31. Candace
    September 14, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Oh. My. God. That was awesome. I will never again cook pork tenderloin in any other way. Unless, of course, you come up with another recipe. Holy cow, that was good. (Or should I say, holy pig?)

September 15, 2014 at 7:35 am

Yippee!

32. Moz
    September 20, 2014 at 8:17 am

Made this last night but had inadvertently bought a pork loin instead, so cooked it according to that cut’s preferences and it was still deliche. Having a mid-season break party end of the month so I’ll get the right cut for this one. Love this site! I sent everyone here for their recipies and they all are picking your best stuff.

33. Jessica
    September 23, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I’ve made this twice now, both times using pork loin instead of tenderloin (because we buy them at Costco, so I happened to have it on hand). It’s a good thing I used a larger cut of meat and doubled the recipe because everyone LOVES it!

The first time I made the neeps and tatties to go along with it – I was the only one who liked the neeps so the second time I made it I served it with tatties and steamed asparagus, which seemed to go over much better with the others.

I also noticed that there was a HUGE flavor difference based on the type of honey I used. The first time I made it I used cheap ol’ clover honey from the bear-shaped bottle and it was good. Tonight I used raw wildflower honey and the sauce was much more flavorful and definitely more sweet than savory – my hubby and I preferred the sweeter sauce, but our guests (who ate with us both times) preferred the more savory sauce.

Finally, the second time I added a bit of a cornstarch slurry at the end and brought it to a boil to thicken it just a bit so the sauce would “stick” to the meat better and it worked wonderfully.

This is a favorite meal at our house now, and I’ll definitely be making it again! I might even try it on some boneless pork chops or some chicken!

34. Amy
    September 27, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Just a follow up—we made this and it was DELICIOUS!!! No rutebagas so we used the turnip and it was great!

35. Cecile B.
    September 29, 2014 at 8:38 am

Made this for a viewing party with 8 girl friends yesterday and it was loved by all. I cooked a 4 lbs pork roast. As I needed to drive the whole hot thing up a mountain, I tripled the ingredients (used fresh sage from my garden), added the sauce to the oven dish and cooked it uncovered for 1.5 hour in my oven at 375 and 1 hour covered at 350 in hers. I placed full unpeeled apples all around the roast during the last hour. A friend brought the beep and tat ties.
    Some short cuts but it was delicious, we had a feast!
    I will cook this recipe again!
    Thank you for publishing it!

36. Suzanne Lucero
    October 4, 2014 at 7:26 am

This may be a “use your common sense” question, but here goes. I have two pork tenderloins that weigh a little over two pounds each. I want (need, actually) to make both of these. How should I adjust the recipe? Multiply all other ingredients by four? What about the temp/time calculations? I plan on making this for tomorrow (Sunday) night’s dinner and could definitely use some help. Thanks.

October 4, 2014 at 7:40 am

I would increase the herb rub by 4 times, but depending on how many people you’re serving, you may only need to double the sauce. If it’s for more than 6 people, quadruple it, but for less than that, double the sauce will be fine.

Because you’ve got 2 pieces of meat in the oven, you may find it takes 5-10 minutes longer to cook, but check it early, just to make sure you don’t overdo it. Good luck! It will be great. 😀

• Suzanne Lucero
      October 7, 2014 at 6:51 am

Thanks. The tenderloin turned out wonderfully. I didn’t expect the meat to be that *tender*, although I might have guessed it from the name.

A funny thing happened with the sauce. I doubled it as you suggested, then added a cornstarch slurry as Jessica suggested, but I think I overdid the slurry a bit. I ended up with a VERY thick gravy to pour over the tenderloin. 😀 It didn’t really matter in the end, though, because it still tasted great and the dinner went over like a charm.

37. Sarah
    October 22, 2014 at 11:04 am

I don’t usually like pork tenderloin because I think the meat is dry, but this was really good and moist, so the recipe is a keeper.

38. Nicole
    November 4, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Made the pork tenderloin for dinner tonight. It turned out so good. Even used our home made hard cider in it. Think it was one of the best meals I’ve ever made. Thanks for the great recipe!

November 5, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Can’t beat that recommendation!

39. Joanna
    December 20, 2014 at 8:18 am

So excited to make this for Christmas dinner this week! The recipe looks delicious and the reviews make it sound divine. My question is, is it really peppery? I have a 4 and 5 year old that aren’t keen on peppery foods. Should I used a little less peppercorn or is the amount ok?

December 20, 2014 at 8:31 am

I wouldn’t call it super peppery, but use caution if you think you need to…better safe than sorry!

40. David
    December 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm

I made this a few nights ago.. It was so good!!! we had it the next night too..

41. Lynn Wilson
    December 28, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I made the Pork Tenderloin with Neeps and Tatties the centerpiece of Christmas dinner 2015 and it was a big hit. (I also made Brussels Sprouts for dinner, and started off the day with sweets that included Fiona’s Cinnamon Scones and Sam’s PB Power Bars.) Wonderful recipes! Now, if I can only get my husband and our 3 grown children to like the show as much as the food! Thank you!