Homemade Crowdie Cheese – Outlander on STARZ Episode 105 “Rent”

Homemade Crowdie Cheese – Outlander on STARZ Episode 105 “Rent”

Outlander on Starz

Mission accomplished! Claire is out from behind the castle walls, and off with the lads to collect the rents and “attend to a wee bit of business here and there.” (TV Dougal can be so damn ominous.)

Along for the ride with Claire and the MacKenzies is an old book favourite of mine, Ned Gowan. Gentleman Ned, an adventurous solicitor originally from Edinburgh, looks after all of the MacKenzies’ legal requirements, including the recording of rent monies and their equivalents.

In place of coins, Ned will take bags of grain or turnips, well-trussed fowl, perhaps even a goat. On no account, however, will he take a live pig, which seems pretty reasonable to this semi-rural girl, who has hopped the gate of a pig pen just in time on more than one occasion.

Homemade Crowdie Cheese

Another common currency accepted as rent in the Highlands was cheese, specifically crowdie.

Scotland’s most ancient cheese, crowdie dates back to Viking and Pictish settlements. At one time, every crofter in the Highlands made it by souring freshly skimmed milk beside a warm fire then cooking gently until it curdled. The whey was drained away, leaving a crumbly white cheese.
Homemade Crowdie Cheese curdled copy

Now, because most of us no longer have access to raw (unpasteurized) milk, and the fact that modern food-safety sensibilities would result in hives on many if I asked you to leave the milk out of the fridge to develop into a bacteria bath overnight, we’re going to change up the process a little bit for our homemade crowdie.

I’ve made a number of unripened cheeses in my time; most of the world’s cultures have at least one variety. Paneer from India, Mascarpone from Italy and Queso Fresco from Mexico, just to name a few. They all use acid, in the form of vinegar or lemon juice, to curdle the milk and separate the curds from the whey.

Their processes result in cheeses with similar textures to, and the fresh taste of, crowdie (which I have tasted on multiple occasions). Just as important, they’re made with ingredients and tools that most of us have on hand.

Sounds like a winning Outlander Kitchen recipe to me!

Homemade Crowdie Cheese strain

If you’re interested in a dairy that still makes crowdie using traditional methods, check out Connage Highland Dairy. I have had the pleasure of devouring two of their Organic Cheese Boxes whilst on vacation in the Highlands in 2011, and again in 2013.

Holy cow, they make great cheese.

Other Outlander Kitchen recipes that pair with Episode 105:  Rent

Homemade Crowdie Cheese hanging copy

If you have access to raw milk, by all means use it! I suspect you’ll get a better yield than the rest of us using pasteurized milk from the grocery store.

Embrace your inner crofter and make some crowdie. Who knew you could make your own cheese easily in under 2 hours?

Homemade Crowdie

: A soft, unripened cheese traditionally made by Scottish crofters. Delicious on oatcakes, bannocks, scones and sandwiches.

Yield: Approx. 1 Cup

• Whole Milk – 1 Quart
  • White Vinegar – 2 Tble
  • Salt – ½ tsp
  • Whipping Cream – 1 to 2 tsp (optional)

Heat milk in a large, non-reactive saucepan (do not use aluminum) over medium heat.  Stir occasionally to prevent milk from scorching.

Continue to heat until milk simmers and foams sligtly (195° F on an instant-read thermometer), about 20 minutes. Do not allow milk to boil. Remove pan from heat and drizzle in vinegar. Stir gently, once, then allow to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.

Check to ensure that milk has curdled, meaning that the white curds have separated from the translucent whey.  If not, stir in another tablespoon of vinegar and wait another 5 minutes. Once the curds and whey have separated, allow pot to sit undisturbed for 30 minutes.

Line a colander with muslin or 4 layers of cheesecloth.  Ladle curds into colander, and drain until the crowdie is like a wet cottage cheese, about 30 minutes.  To speed up the draining, use a rubber spatula to gently fold the curds over each other occasionally.  Do not press down on curds.

Gather corners of cloth together, and tie around a wooden spoon handle or sink faucet. Hang cheese 30 minutes. Twist bag gently once or twice to expel the last of whey.

Scrape into a bowl and stir in salt and optional whipping cream. Store covered, in refrigerator, for up to 5 days.

Serve with oatcakes or bannocks, spread on sandwiches, bake into a cheesecake, or use it as a filling for pasta with a bit of crumbled bacon.

Ith do leòr! (Eat Plenty)

• Using unpasteurized (raw) milk will result in a greater yield.
  • A thermometer is not required for this recipe (wait for the milk to foam, but not boil), but an instant-read thermometer is a handy multi-use, inexpensive tool for both cooking and baking.
  • No vinegar? Substitute 2 Tble of fresh lemon (or lime) juice.
  • No cheesecloth or muslin? Clean cotton/linen dishcloths or t-shirts work well, as does a coffee filter. I rotate through a set of ancient, but almost unused, avocado green linen napkins that I bought from my local thrift store for 10 cents each.
  • Use the cooled whey to make bread, in smoothies, feed it to the chickens and pigs, or at the very least, pour it into your compost.
  • My crowdie was creamy enough without adding the cream. Although the traditional finish to crowdie, I’ve made it optional.
  • Flavour up your crowdie! Mix in chopped herbs, garlic or black pepper. I kept my crowdie unflavoured, but served it with fresh cracked black pepper and smoked salt, which was delicious.

1. Jeannie
    September 3, 2014 at 6:02 am

Theresa, I *love* how you provide a little bit of history, a little bit of Outlander, and a lot of good taste in your recipe stories. They’re always so informative and nomtastic.

Tapadh leat! Ith gu leòir!

September 3, 2014 at 6:50 am

Glad you enjoy the posts, Jeannie! 😀

2. seaQuestered
    September 3, 2014 at 6:23 am

Thank you so much for all the recipes! I am able to buy unpasteurized milk, and will try this recipe soon.

September 3, 2014 at 6:51 am

Great! Please let us know if you get a better yield when you try it.

3. Janet Virva
    September 3, 2014 at 6:45 am

Theresa, this sounds like a lovely recipe, but very similar to making Greek yogurt, where a bit of yogurt culture is introduced into the cooled milk. Have you ever done that? Can you compare the tastes at all?

September 3, 2014 at 6:50 am

The slight tangy tastes are similar.

4. Colleen
    September 3, 2014 at 7:56 am

This looks really good! I have been on an Outlander Kitchen binge. I have made Chicken Fricassee, LJ’s Steak and Mushroom Pie, and Cherry Bounce in the last few days. Tonight is Shepard’s pie. Thanks for all the great recipes. It is so fun to cook thinking of the characters that we all love.

5. Diane (aka tweetlee_dee)
    September 3, 2014 at 8:10 am

Cheese glorious cheese! This recipe has made me extremely excited for some reason! going to try it soon with some of those GF oatcakes!

September 3, 2014 at 8:52 am

Cheese is exciting…especially homemade cheese.

6. Anna Lapping
    September 3, 2014 at 9:51 am

This is almost exactly how I make my home -made ricotta. I use a gallon of milk and make two rounds of well-drained, formed cheeses. When using for a recipe, and not draining quite so much, I get about 2 cups of ricotta. Thank you for the recipes, and telling how they relate to the episodes. I made steak and mushroom pie 2 Saturdays ago, loved the addition of the beer (I usually use a splash of red wine).

7. Kim Barber
    September 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

This recipe appears to be very similar to clotted cream! Do you have an easy recipe to make clotted cream, as I have tried to make it without much success? I will try the crowdie recipe and hopefully it will be similar to the clotted cream!

September 3, 2014 at 11:18 am

Do I have a recipe for clotted cream? Of course I do! 🙂 Here you go…http://outlanderkitchen.com/2014/03/03/mrs-grahams-oatmeal-scones-with-clotted-cream/

• Cindy Fletcher
      September 3, 2014 at 1:29 pm

THERESA, thank you so very much for all the Outlander insight you provide, but especially for all the marvelous Scottish recipes you share! I made my first visit to Scotland this spring and tried every traditional Scottish dish and brew I could get my hands on. I especially loved the scones and Devon clotted cream, but can’t readily buy it on my side of the pond. I will be trying your recipe for sure!!! I can’t wait to spread that creamy delight on my homemade scones!!!

• Kim Barber
      September 5, 2014 at 10:27 am

Thanks so much for the clotted cream recipe. I will give it a go along with the crowdie and Mrs. Graham’s oatmeal scones.

8. Jan Anderson
    September 3, 2014 at 10:38 am

Aloha from Maui, Theresa.

Loving your posts & that you mix in a bit of your own history with the books, as well as the upcoming show info. Tis my first time following a blog of any sort & I am enjoying it very much. Although our book club read the books many years ago, I had no idea there was such a large fan base until this show started and drew my attention to it all. (We are in a bit of a black out zone in Hawaii to much of what goes on in the world of pop culture!)

Can’t wait to try this cheese for the next book club ‘group watch’ of the show! (most gals don’t even have cable here so so share at my house!) The gals loved the bannocks last week (thank you Theresa for the gluten-free tip!), so I’ll repeat the bannocks again to serve w/ the cheese and maybe venture into the oatcakes as well. As I said in prior post, I’m not much of a cook (not thru lack of trying!!) so these easy to follow recipes are great for me and giving me some inspiration to keep trying to figure out my way around the kitchen. The gals arrive hopeful, tho a little nervous when they know I’m cooking! haha Hopefully I’ll surprise them again this week with your great tutelage!

So….tally ho! Off we go for the rent collections. I’m also looking forward to the adventurer Ned, who (without risking spoilers) is a friend to us all 🙂

Mahalo nui & a hui hou, Jan

September 3, 2014 at 11:24 am

I’m so glad you’re enjoying the posts, Jan! And thank you for your support and enthusiasm.

• Jan Anderson
      September 6, 2014 at 2:45 am

Yes! I truly am enjoying myself, thanks! I’m slowly working my way around the rest of the site as well, when time permits, and have been discovering many little, buried treasures 🙂 Tons of fun. Looking forward to having the lassies over tomorrow for Ep 105. One of the other book club women said she’s going to make something from your site as well so the word is spreading & I can’t wait to see what it is! Your idea of ‘food through fiction’ was fabulous, btw. You’ve found a way to materialize what many of us had wondered about while reading the books. It’s one more way of bringing the stories to life……….Now if we all could only just bring our ‘Pocket Jamies’ to life………..!!! ha ha ha!! Aloha nui, Jan

September 6, 2014 at 6:49 am

Have fun tonight!

9. Carolyn Ware
    September 3, 2014 at 11:05 am

While this doesn’t pertain to the crowdy recipe, I made Mrs. Bug’s Picalilli over the weekend. I am so excited at how it turned out. It is wonderfully delicious (I did add the brown sugar). I canned 4 pts and a qt. Can’t wait until Christmas to include it on my dinner table. May do some more for gifts as well. My granddaughter and I will be making the crowdy too. She is a budding dedicated “chef” at 12 and has plans for her own restaurant in the future. We love to try new and unusual recipes together and the crowdy will be a hit with her.

September 3, 2014 at 11:22 am

I grew up cooking with both of my grandmothers, and I cherish the memories I have of those days! Especially the more unusual things we cooked and baked.

10. Emma
    September 3, 2014 at 11:13 am

Great article, but must point out that “queso” simply means “cheese” in Spanish. It isn’t a particular variety.

September 3, 2014 at 11:16 am

That’s because I forgot the fresco after the queso. Oops! Thanks…I’ll just go make that wee change now. 🙂

11. Emma
    September 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

🙂

12. Elly
    September 3, 2014 at 11:42 am

Beautiful idea!. I have to try it.
    But, mascarpone it’s the only Italian cheese that cames from the CREAM not from the milk 😀
    We have many fresh cheese, from milk, but not mascarpone.

September 3, 2014 at 11:50 am

That is true, Elly, but all of these recipes do use an acid to curdle the milk/cream, which is why I grouped them together. 🙂

13. Lily Bhavani
    September 3, 2014 at 11:47 am

Love all your recipes and how you blend them with the (well-loved) storyline! My husband and I raise sheep for milk and meat and make crowdie (and many other) cheese regularly in the milking season. And use our own apple cider vinegar from our apples to curdle. Our family loves it with fresh herbs and garlic too. I have put it plain in morning ‘parritch’ with a little honey too, and it is braw! Slainte…

September 3, 2014 at 11:55 am

How great is that, Lily! Thank you for sharing your cheese story. 🙂

14. Anita Anderson
    September 3, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Thank you, I made bannocks and they were great!

15. Elle
    September 3, 2014 at 1:05 pm

thank you so much for all these recipes. You are opening my eyes to how easy it can be to make good food from scratch! I have a friend who is just getting into Outlander, watching the series AND reading the books, so I’m making bannocks for her for this week’s episode and I am so excited about his recipe – such a perfect addition to my plan. 🙂

One question: she is lactose intolerant. If I use lactose free milk will it still work?

• Colleen
      September 3, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Elle, I agree at how great it is to make homemade items. I have brushed the dust off of some of my kitchen tools and put them to good use recently. I am currently in the process of making Shepherd’s pie. I can’t wait to try it! I am also looking forward to this weeks episode. Happy cooking!

16. Jane
    September 3, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I am so going to make this!

17. Bebe
    September 3, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I use a similar process to make Greek style yogurt. After I drain off the whey I save it to make Irish brown bread, pancakes, biscuits.

18. William Still
    September 3, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Theresa,
    Great recipe for a simple cheese. I have made pounds and pounds of cheese like this using milk that is about to sour, I find it works the best. I love to flavor it as you have suggested especially with black pepper, caraway or chives. There are so many different things that you can do with it and add to it. I have used it to make an Italian style cheesecake with rice and lots of lemon and sugar. Be careful when baking with it to use a water bath.
    Love your site and your recipes, it is nice to see someone doing this so well!!

September 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Thank you, William! Your suggestions for cheese sound wonderful.

• William Still
      November 5, 2014 at 7:35 am

I was asked to do a 5 course dinner for a group that does Revolutionary War living History presentations. This was to be a dinner with them in uniform and they wanted it to be elegant yet a foods of the period. I immediately thought of making Crowdie cheese for the appetizers and so I did. I flavored it with fresh chives, Tarragon and parsley as well as black pepper. They loved it and especially after I explained a bit about the origins of the cheese.
      I really enjoy reading about your adventures in the kitchen and thought I would share some of mine with you.
      Bill

November 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm

That’s so cool, Bill! Love the flavours you used in the cheese.

19. Heather Krey
    September 3, 2014 at 6:37 pm

When you say large non reactive would non stick do as my alternate pan is stainless steel

September 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Stainless steel is what you want!

• Heather Krey
      September 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Oh for the love. I completely read that wrong. I’m tired and my brain was not running right

September 3, 2014 at 8:25 pm

That’s a feeling I can relate to! LOL

20. Marie McKinsey
    September 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Theresa, you’ve done it again. You’ve given us a recipe for something I haven’t made at home because I thought it would be too complicated. Not long ago, your lamb sausage recipe inspired me to start making my own sausage. Now I am experimenting with my own recipes. (My chicken and apple sausage is way better than I can buy in a store.:)

Now, thanks to this recipe, I am going to start making cheese!

Thank you so much!

21. Elena
    September 3, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I made it tonight for the upcoming Episode 5 this weekend. It’s delicious! #Itriedit Thank you Theresa!

22. Shannon L.
    September 4, 2014 at 8:33 am

I can’t wait to “meet” Ned Gowan! He is one of my book-favorites too.

I need to check my cheesecloth and may need to find a replacement. My husband has used it so much for his pho stock filtering and seasoning ‘bags’ cooked into broths that I think it permanently smells like Asian spices. Unless I want pho-flavored cheese, I think I need something new.

I’m looking forward to trying this.

23. Lisa Branford
    September 4, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Handy – I just happen to have a nice almost-new package of cheesecloth. Hmmm – wonder why I bought that… Thanks for another great post and recipe, Theresa!

24. cindy
    September 5, 2014 at 11:30 am

My Crowdie is hanging as I write. Can’t wait to taste. 🙂

September 6, 2014 at 6:47 am

Cool! I hope you like it!

25. Judy Workman
    September 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Thanks so much Theresa for inspiring me to cook again! I find myself looking forward to my kitchen experiments each week as much as watching the show! After tackling the Oat milk last week, I am hoping to be just as successful with this Crowdie Cheese recipe. I bought some cheese cloth and am ready to give it a try tomorrow for my Outlanderday in the kitchen!

26. Eleri Hamilton
    September 5, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I had a bit of trouble at first, with not getting very much yield from a quart of whole milk (I even managed to get from the dairy in a glass bottle milk, too. Much nicer), so while the bit I got was draining, I decided to reheat the leftovers, and see what happened, thinking I’d bring it back to a foam, and add a bit more vinegar. But just heating it up caused curds to form. It ended up almost doubling what I’d had! So maybe I didn’t let it simmer long enough before pulling it from the heat and adding the vinegar the first time, or maybe I discovered a trick to get a higher amount of curds from commercial milk. Dunno!

September 6, 2014 at 6:45 am

Glad you tried again…well done!

27. Brenda
    September 6, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Theresa…Thank you so much for the fabulous recipes. Love the Atholl drink. Verra smooth! And the Shepherd’s Pie was simply delicious. Today I made this fresh cheese with unpasteurized goat milk. Can’t stop eating it. Won’t have any by the time the show comes up. 🙂 If only I can figure what to do with the whey. Your recipes makes it so much fun to watch the Outlander episodes.

28. Margaret
    September 7, 2014 at 9:00 am

I love your Outlander Kitchen. I made the Crowdie and oatcakes for our watch party last night. Both were fantastic!

September 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I love having you here, Margaret! Glad you enjoyed the snacks last night!

29. Sara
    September 7, 2014 at 11:51 am

It’s my first time making cheese, and it turned out wonderfully! Very delicious. The only thing I noticed is that Canadian vinegar comes in different strengths. So for what I had at home (table vinegar, rather than pickling) I had to almost double the amount of vinegar required.

September 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Interesting, Sara! I used regular table vinegar in my batch, at the amount called for was fine. I wonder why…

• Sara
      September 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

The cheese turned out spectacular. Rather like a firm ricotta. I’m definitely going to be making this again – maybe with some different herbs mixed in. Do you have any suggestions?

30. Mona in San Diego
    September 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm

So happy to see Outlander Kitchen in the middle of the Starz Outlander site.

31. Jan Anderson
    September 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! I made CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe it!! It was so fun and easy (due to your simple directions, thank you verra much for that!) The lassies liked it SO much at the viewing party on Saturday, that many said they will make it as well and I’ll for sure make it again! I made a double batch & served it with the small sides (salt, pepper, jam, chives) as recommended and it was a hit. Also made bannocks, Atholl and Pork w/ neeps & tatties so that lassies were full & happy with drink :-)!!

I’m not sure how it has happened, but your theme recipes (and encouragement from the ladies) have inspired me to learn how to cook….something I thought impossible in the past. I’ve had some mishaps along the way: (spilled white vinegar between the counter and stove; no cheese cloth so I cut up a quick dry work out shirt LOL) but somehow it’s all coming together and I’m really having fun.

My English mum’s coming to visit me in Maui in a couple weeks & I’m going to tackle the scones and clotted cream. Mum will just about lay an egg when she sees what I will have made for her! ha ha She’ll not believe it!

Pu’uhonua Book Club of Maui supports you & loves your recipes as well as your enthusiasm for Outlander!

Until the next time….Aloha nui from Maui, Jan

32. Molly
    September 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Ciamar a tha sibh? Your crowdie is just now resting on my stove top for the 30 minutes till the drain. I am going to put it in a china hat lined with a cotton napkin…will that be enough suspension to do without the wooden spoon? That is the setup I always use for making almond milk and it seems to work well for that. Looking forward to tasting this delight and maybe for using it as a lower-fat replacement for marscapone in Tiramisu for my mom’s birthday. Thank you again for all the hard work you put into creating these recipes!

September 10, 2014 at 5:38 am

Love the tiramisu idea! I used my crowdie in some ravioli, and it was fabulous!

33. Sherry
    September 13, 2014 at 9:28 am

Making the Crowdie right now, and just wondering if any colander will do! Thanks!!

September 13, 2014 at 10:30 am

any colander will do!

34. Marie McKinsey
    September 14, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I just made a batch and added chives from my garden. SO good and SO easy. Thank you for this recipe!

35. Joanna
    September 15, 2014 at 4:06 am

I made the crowdie with unpasteurized milk and definitely got more than a cup. I didn’t measure it, but I think it was about 2 cups. I used lemon juice and had to double the amount, maybe because of the milk being unpasteurized? Whatever the reason, it turned out great! I made the bannocks and they were delicious as well. My mother-in-law came over for a surprise visit and was very impressed I’d made my own cheese!

September 15, 2014 at 7:34 am

Thanks for letting us know!

36. terra mueller
    September 17, 2014 at 6:24 am

This is exactly how I make farmers cheese if I dont have a lot of time. If.I do have time, I let my raw milk sot on the counter for 3 daysish….and result is the same…my family is ukrainian and this is the cheese we use for pierogies
    We live on a dairy so.I have daily access to 7000+ lbs of fresh milk before the milk truck picks it up to the cheese plant

37. Elle
    September 20, 2014 at 8:26 am

I MADE CHEESE!!!! On My Own!!!! AND – It’s Good!!!

Thanks Theresa!

38. Jessica
    November 5, 2014 at 8:02 am

I cannot wait to try this. I love your recipes. I’ve made the Scotch eggs and the LJ’s steak and mushroom pies. Everything has been a hit with my husband. I believe I”ll be making this plus your herb and pumpkin seed oatcakes this weekend. If I’m feeling froggy, I may try the gypsy stew too!

November 5, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Glad to know your hubster is liking it too! The cheese is easy and fun to make. Enjoy!

39. Jessica
    November 16, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Made this tonight along with the Bannocks at Castle Leoch, and man were they delicious. Thank you so much for posting the recipes!

40. mardi priest
    January 16, 2015 at 3:16 pm

good to see this recipe, I have made a similar cheese for some time, it is enjoyed by all. I drain mine in a very fine mesh strainer, works ok but I should get organised and buy some cheesecloth. or maybe large coffee papers? must try with the cream at the end to make crowdie, and see how that goes…

41. Denise
    February 7, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I’m currently enjoying a drop of vino (have run out of whisky and Atholl Brose gasp!) while waiting for my herb & pumpkin seed oatcakes and crowdie to do their thing in the oven and stovetop. Thank you for your Outlander food inspiration Theresa, I’m not the greatest cook but am finding I am thoroughtly enjoying your recipes, as are my other half and family. Cheers ears!

42. Eunice
    March 15, 2015 at 6:04 am

Heyya, I’m a 17 y/o Malaysian yogurt maker and first time crowdie cheese maker. Seeing that this recipe was somewhat easy, I gave it a go. Must say that the cheese looks like the cheese in the picture, but after straining I didn’t get any whey, only milk (?). Ive never tried crowdie before, and the crowdie tasted mild to me. I made crowdie cheese because I made some oatcakes before this. Must say that in a way, they do go well together. Anyway, was there supposed to be whey? And how can I add flavour to the crowdie cheese? Thanks.

March 16, 2015 at 7:10 am

No, that’s whey…and to add flavour, add salt herbs and spices!

43. Georgia Burns
    April 3, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I am thrilled to say I made crowdie cheese today and it was fun! It tastes delicious, sort of like ricotta cheese. I used the organic milk at the grocery store and got about 1.25 – 1.5 cups yield. Had planned to use some in the cranachan I am taking to the re-launch party at a friend’s house tomorrow night. Now that it is so good, I may flavor it with pesto or something and take it to serve with rice crackers. I can always stick with the whipped cream in the cranachan. Thank you so much, Theresa. By the way, I must be the last woman on earth that just figured out today why they call it “cheese” cloth. 🙂

April 4, 2015 at 9:21 am

Lol! It sounds like you had fun…and that’s what Outlander Kitchen is all about!

44. Katie
    June 23, 2015 at 11:55 am

I have made this cheese twice now, once just plainly salted and this time with garlic, pepper, and smoked salt. Delicious, both! This is so incredibly versatile and easy. Who would have thought cheese making so simple? I found a local Mennonite family that sells fresh milk and butter too in the process. This site has really changed the way I view ‘from scratch’ cooking.

June 26, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Awesome, Katie! I’m so excited to get people back into the kitchen, cooking from who.e foods. It’s not that hard, and very satisfying.

45. Sara
    June 26, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Just wanted to say that this cheese is now a staple in my kitchen. I’ve made it plain (and eaten it with a drizzle of honey over the top), and have also made a variety of combinations with salt, dill, parsley, and other herbs. FANTASTIC – all of them. Try using half-and-half instead of milk. The result is beyond awesome. My next batch will go into home-made tortellinni. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe!

46. Kylie
    August 25, 2015 at 4:00 am

Hi Theresa,
    I have read that whey can be frozen. Do you recommend it.
    I’d like to have a go at using whey instead of milk or buttermilk in Jenny’s everyday bread.
    Thanks