Cranachan – Outlander on STARZ Episode 107 – The Wedding

Cranachan – Outlander on STARZ Episode 107 – The Wedding

Outlander on Starz

Can you believe we’ve made it? We’re actually here! After months and months of waiting (decades, really, for some), The Wedding is less than 4 days away.

It looks as though some of the finer points have yet to be taken care of in the negotiations, but the horse is happily munching away on his hay, and Jamie seems more poised to make a smart-ass remark than a engage in a shout fest, so I don’t think too many obstacles remain.

Except maybe a dress, a priest in a kirk, and a few days space from the MacKenzie boys while he and Claire become acquainted. But that’s just a guess…

Roast Beef Feast

Outlander Kitchen has celebrated this particular wedding before, so if you’re looking for something for dinner, why not cook up a Roast Beef for a Wedding Feast? It’s my interpretation of the feast served upon the wedding party’s return to the inn, and one of Outlander Kitchen’s most popular recipes.

It also makes great sandwiches, hot or cold, with or without jus for dipping. Who’s up for a roast beef sandwich in front of the TV?

cranachan

For dessert, there’s cranachan! A dreamy dessert of fresh raspberries, whipped cream, whisky, honey and toasted oats.

It’s pretty colour, Scot’s tradition, and the ease with which it comes together make it the perfect dish to end the celebration feast of Claire and James.

Originally, cranachan was made with crowdie cheese and called a crowdie cream or cream crowdie. I’ve chosen to go with a modern recipe which uses whipped cream, but you’re welcome to substitute a batch of homemade crowdie instead. (Just note that the crowdie version will be richer and more filling, so make the servings smaller.)

Alternatively, you could blend a bit of crowdie and whipped cream together, and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Jamie and Claire

There are a thousand and one ways to put cranachan together. Some versions keep all of the berries whole, layering them between thick white cream sprinkled with toasted oats. Others make a puree of the berries, while some have you soak the oats in whisky overnight.

Really, once you’ve gathered the ingredients, assembly is up to you. I like my version because the oats mixed into the cream give it a little body and allow it to stand in the fridge for a couple of hours without much separation.

Mixing everything together means it’s also easy to dish up and garnish without too much fuss.

cranachan

Cranachan

:A gorgeous Scottish dessert of raspberries, whisky and cream worthy of a wedding celebration.

Serves 4

• Quick-Cooking Oats – ¼ Cup (see notes)
  • Whipping Cream – 1 Cup
  • Honey – 2 Tble
  • Whisky – 2 Tble
  • Raspberries – 1½ Cups

Stirring occasionally, toast oats in a pan over medium heat until they just become aromatic and lightly golden, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.

Whip cream to soft peaks. Add honey and whisky, beat until combined.

Stir 2 tablespoons of toasted oats into cream. Use a fork to smash half of the raspberries into whipped cream. Break berries up well. Reserve a few berries for garnish, then fold remainder, gently to keep them whole, into cream.

Gently spoon mixture into parfait glasses or bowls. Garnish with reserved raspberries and a sprinkle of toasted oats.

Serve chilled.

Ith do leòr! (Eat Plenty)

• I only keep whole rolled oats in my pantry. When I need the quick-cooking variety, I grind whole oats in a coffee grinder I keep especially for spices and other jobs like this. (3 or 4) 1 second pulses gets you the correct texture.
  • Cranachan can be made up to 3 hours ahead of time. Spoon into serving glasses/bowls when ready to serve.

1. Natasha
    September 17, 2014 at 6:06 am

So lovely..and fresh! I may have to leave out the whisky, though. What to substitute?
    Thanks!

• lori mellon
      September 17, 2014 at 10:41 pm

There are plenty of flavorings you can find in any good spice shop–or you could use one of those syrups they use to flavor coffees. Or an orange zest might be nice for this recipe.

2. Susan King
    September 17, 2014 at 6:29 am

Is there a version without whiskey for the non drinker or recovering alcoholic?

September 17, 2014 at 7:52 am

Omit the whisky

3. tamara
    September 17, 2014 at 6:47 am

Can this be made without the whisky?

4. Amy Meighan
    September 17, 2014 at 6:52 am

Dear Teresa,

So when are you doing the Outlander Cookbook, hahha, I have a stack of printouts of your recipes, arg, they fly all over the place. Put me down for the first edition. Your recipes are a true delight, sans the show, they are unique unto themselves!

Best regards,

Amy Meighan

September 17, 2014 at 7:52 am

How wonderful! I hope to publish a cookbook one day!

• Jennifer
      September 17, 2014 at 10:42 am

Therese I completely agree with Amy Meighan! I would love to have an Outlander Cookbook. Every Saturday my mom comes over and we make an Outlander/Scottish dinner then usually follow up with some Rhennish or Whiskey. Then my husband starts up a fire and we all watch Outlander together. It’s one of the main highlights of my week. PLEASE think about putting together some type of cookbook for your Outlander food cooking fans!!

September 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

The whole purpose of starting this blog is to publish a cookbook…still working on it. 🙂

• Linda
      September 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Theresa, put me down for one when you get it published. I love these recipes. One suggestion though, could you also include the proper pronunciation of the titles of these recipes; here in Outlander Kitchen and in the finished cookbook.

September 17, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Thanks, Linda! And that’s a great suggestion about pronunciation.

• Janet Garten
      September 20, 2014 at 8:48 am

I’d love one, too, with pictures included of every dish. That’s one thing I look for in a cookbook, especially one that has recipes I’m not t all familiar with and don’t mind paying more, for. I like to see what I’m aiming for.

• Pam Christensen
      September 29, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Yep, definitely on board with the future cookbook and I second the pronunciations, please. Thank you for posting one per episode. I love reading the inspiration for each! I have been making something almost every week for my friends and I when we watch. It’s become a verra fun tradition in just 8 episodes. Looking forward to future episodes/ seasons.

• JoAnn Grant
      September 18, 2014 at 6:24 am

I would LOVE a cookbook TOO!!!

• Kiltguy Jae
      September 20, 2014 at 4:48 am

Heck yeah – count on me for one, too!

• Kathy Bakes
      November 30, 2014 at 7:42 am

I have printed all of your recipes and plan to use each one of them. However, I am going to make the Cranachan for Christmas Desert. I sincerely hope you do publish a cook book some time soon. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes.

5. Donna Rykken
    September 17, 2014 at 6:59 am

Will be trying this asap yummmm

6. Carole Bloomfield
    September 17, 2014 at 7:13 am

can you use any other fruit, I do not like raspberries

September 17, 2014 at 7:51 am

It’s your Cranachan! Do what makes you happy!

7. kelly
    September 17, 2014 at 7:28 am

This is a recipe I will have to try. I am I’d scottish decent and have been wanting to reach out to my culture. Food is one of the first things I thought of. Seeing that many of my friends eat things from their native lands. So when I look up recipes I see things that in no way would I try. Until this dessert. I hope you have other dishes to share. Do you have website the that I could be able to go to?

September 17, 2014 at 7:50 am

Ummm…you’re on that website.

8. Roxanne
    September 17, 2014 at 7:29 am

What would happen if I used mascarpone instead of crowdie? I checked out your crowdie recipe but it intimidates me since I think of myself as a baker and not a cook. =)

September 17, 2014 at 7:35 am

Crowdie is actually closer to ricotta…but if you want to use mascarpone, I won’t stop you!

9. Charlie Reb
    September 17, 2014 at 7:37 am

Is the honey and whiskey supposed to be no measured in Tbsp. ?

September 17, 2014 at 7:50 am

I don’t understand your question.

• Nicole
      September 17, 2014 at 8:10 am

I think she meant is tble equivalent to tbsp (tablespoon) . I assumed that is what you meant by tble but honestly had not seen it or noticed seeing written like that in a recipe before.

• Barabel NicGillean
      January 18, 2015 at 9:25 pm

many in my Scottish family are chefs or just cooks and though this good to measure when necessary to have the dish turn out right we rarely measure we do a dash a splash and a pinch so when it comes to whisky or honey just use as much as it take to flavor it. Without making it too Sweet of wet start small add more to taste…. Least that’s how we do it in our place, enjoy….

10. changeling
    September 17, 2014 at 7:42 am

The photo of the rasberry was a giveaway! Can’t wait to try this..
    I LOVED it when I was in Scotland and ate it at every opportunity. And as you said there are as many variations as there are types of Whisky. Choose which one you like the best and enjoy!

11. Pat Butler
    September 17, 2014 at 8:06 am

Cranachan is divine! My Scots son-in-law introduced it to our family several years ago, when he and my oldest daughter, Persephone, first got together. Totally scrumptious and easy to make. And, my daughter chose this as her dessert for their wedding celebration! Good to know we made the right choice. lol
    Just want to add, I love your blog.

12. Beth
    September 17, 2014 at 8:19 am

I love making your recipes! I dislike daily cooking/grocery shopping, but love to ‘play’ with herbals, baking and Special foods, such as anything Outlander. When I was in Scotland, I fell in love with Sticky Toffee Pudding. I have tried to reproduce it at home, but have not found a recipe that tastes as good. Could you mess about with this and find my STP?

13. Trish
    September 17, 2014 at 9:20 am

This looks easy and lovely. I’ll definitely be making it for our Outlander watch party this weekend. Last weekend I made your Atholl Brose. Everyone thought it was delicious, even moreso after the second glass. 😉 Wowzer! That’s strong! Thank you for the great recipes.

14. Orchid
    September 17, 2014 at 9:25 am

I’m not much of a drinker. If I ventured to try the whiskey, would you have a recommendation? I know there are always so many versions. Thanks!

Also, my kiddo likes to try your recipes with me. Would the alcohol content make this not acceptable? I generally don’t make things with it. :/

September 17, 2014 at 1:02 pm

No problem…leave the whisky out! You could add a few drops vanilla, if you like.

15. Josephine Mayo
    September 17, 2014 at 10:46 am

If I have Bob’s Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal in my pantry, would that be similar to your method of grinding rolled oats?

September 17, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Yes! That will do perfectly!

16. Tess
    September 17, 2014 at 10:50 am

This looks wonderful! I can’t wait to try it Saturday night while enjoying the wedding episode. Are there any recommendations about which whisky brands taste better? I’m thinking the ones with the peat-smoke flavor would probably not work as well in this. Have you experimented with different kinds of single malt or blended whisky? Nevertheless, I’ll be washing down the dessert with a nice dram anyway! 🙂

September 17, 2014 at 1:01 pm

You’re on the right track…peat will not be good. After that, the choice is yours…I used a blend that we had on hand.

17. Carole Paquette
    September 17, 2014 at 11:11 am

I love Outlander Kitchen, it is full of fun descriptions of interesting food – as well as relative to Outlander. I have only visited Scotland once but loved it and its people, and hope to go back there again. Thank you for this lovely website.

September 18, 2014 at 7:45 am

Thank you so much for the love and support, Carole

18. Deborah Hymon
    September 17, 2014 at 11:19 am

OMG! Where did you get the plaid place cards with the Celtic knot? Our home is decorated with plaid accents, and we entertain frequently; these would be perfect as our signature cards.

Thanks!
    Deborah

• Deborah Hymon
      September 17, 2014 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the wonderful site, and recipes!

September 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I cut the tartan from an old Christmas card, and printed out the knot from google images. 🙂

19. Gayle Anderson
    September 17, 2014 at 11:59 am

I have built my own cookbook to hold all the luscious Outlander recipes. A plastic 3 ring binder and 3 hole page protectors to hold the print outs. I’ve had to add dividers, also plastic. All of this keeps the recipes legible and clean and organized for quick reference.

20. Jan Anderson
    September 17, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I can’t believe it’s here as well!! Many years of waiting and it’s going to be SO great to see it acted out before us on Saturday! 3 more days!! It feels like Christmas….maybe better! lol The book club lassies and I are planning a Wedding Day party! A little bit o decorating, some amazing food, lots of toasting and a LOAD of fun!!!! The Cranachan looks SO good…..I’ll whip up a batch to top off a lovely evening of sisterhood and celebration. Cheers and aloha to EVERYBODY sharing in the excitement, build up and joy of this union between Claire and Jamie! Yahoooooooooooo! …………and OK…….the Wedding NIGHT!!! We’ve been waiting for that too!!!!!!!!! whoot!

21. Carol Mackey
    September 17, 2014 at 1:02 pm

This will be dessert for three of my grandkids while I “baby” sit (two teens and a tween–don’t like that appellation) next week! I kinow they will love it. I was planning to make some Crowdie/ricotta for a pasta dish, so some will be creamy and some won’t. Maybe I can get some help whipping the cream . . . raw Michigan honey will be perfect–don’t mind the bees knees! lol!! Ceud Taing!

September 18, 2014 at 7:43 am

Many of my favourite kitchen memories are of cooking with both my grandmas. 🙂

22. karen tinsley
    September 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Yes..cookbook please! And i agree ramsays shepards pie is the best…been making it for several years now…always comforting!!

23. Becky Smith
    September 17, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Whiskey I presume means a lovely single malt Scotch?

September 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I would avoid peaty whiskies, but other than that, the choice is yours!

24. Stacy Metzger
    September 17, 2014 at 2:53 pm

My husband and I came up with our own special wedding night episode dinner:….Corn on the cob and Tickled Pink Salmon. 😉 Your desert sounds perfect.

September 18, 2014 at 7:40 am

Food and fiction is so much fun! LOL

25. Sharlo Rogers
    September 17, 2014 at 6:12 pm

We had this for dessert during the FIRST episode of “Outlander” after a meal of roast chicken, baked potatoes, salad, bread, and veggies. I simply purchased whipping cream and whipped it together with three large tablespoons of honey. I left out the whiskey, but my guests decided I was nuts. I had one of my guests bring the wine, but I don’t partake.

26. Adele Needham
    September 17, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I’m afraid to tackle the recipe for tablet – I can’t get my American fudge to turn out right! Is it cheating to try to buy some? Where? Internet shows availability in UK. Any to be found in America? ( Have done the bannocks, the cheese, and will do the Cranachan. Fun, fun, fun!)

27. Ted Poster
    September 18, 2014 at 3:00 am

Add more Whiskey…. For the ones that don’t put it in theirs!

28. Marie Dickinson
    September 18, 2014 at 9:30 am

Never eat oats, not even as a baby. What can be substituted ? ? ? Thanks.

September 18, 2014 at 9:32 am

Have a bowl of raspberries and cream?

29. GG
    September 19, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Im in line for the cookbook! Dont forget me! First edition, first printing, and signed! 😉
    LOVE this recipe, will try it with the wee heathens. You do an amazing job and I admire you, verra much. Slainte, T!

30. Moz B
    September 20, 2014 at 8:26 am

How does one pronounce Ith do leór? Thankee!

31. Joi Acuna
    September 20, 2014 at 10:20 am

On my way to the store to purchase these ingredients. Thanks for sharing your gift of cooking and love of Outlander. Can’t wait to enjoy this while watching the Wedding or after the Wedding.

32. Christy
    September 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I’m hosting a viewing party tomorrow for my friends without Starz (and a few with). Everyone has to bring a dish from your website. I’m making the steak and mushroom pies, athull browse and bannofee pie. Can’t wait!!!

33. Pam
    September 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for mentioning the crowdie! I made that a few weeks ago and found it a bit bland on its own (eventually added chives & black pepper – which was really really good), but I thought it would be fabulous in a cooked pasta or desert dish. I just wasn’t sure what to try it with. That cheese was so easy I was able to whip up a batch this afternoon for my cranachan!

• Pam
      September 21, 2014 at 9:28 am

I ended up doing 1/2 whipped cream & 1/2 crowdie… So good.

34. Kimberly Schwatka
    September 20, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Made this for dessert tonight–excellent. It was a hit with my husband, he went back for seconds.

35. Kiltguy Jae
    September 20, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I did it up right! I made the roast beef recipe here for dinner along with the buttered leeks, hasselback potatoes, candied turnips and Cranachan (though I used blackberries and I made the Crowdie cheese). The only thing I did that broke away from the site here was that I made Rosemary bread to go with it. While I was at it, I made buns from the Rosemary dough to make roast beef sandwiches tomorrow with leftovers!

• Kiltguy Jae
      September 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm

We ate dinner before the show and had the Cranachan during the Wedding!

36. ML
    September 21, 2014 at 7:07 am

Hey I have not been receiving any of the emails, any problems?

37. ML
    September 21, 2014 at 7:40 am

What is crowdie anyway? I saw someone made a reference to ricotta. I remember the word of “Barley Crowdie” in the book but I never looked up and real info on it.

38. Kiltguy Jae
    September 21, 2014 at 11:16 am

“Crowdie is a Scottish cream cheese, or the term less often refers to a type of brose. The cheese is often eaten with oatcakes, and recommended before a ceilidh as it is said to alleviate the effects of whisky-drinking.”

39. Rachelle
    September 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Love Outlander, love the series, and love this website. 🙂 I made your banoffee parfaits for my friend’s bridal shower last week. I’ve also made toad in the hole from your other site. Thanks so much for sharing all this wonderful food and giving me an opportunity to hear other people gush about Outlander. ❤️

40. Kate @ Sustainable Princess
    September 23, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I’m invited over to a friend’s to watch the Wedding tonight. I’ll be bringing this! Thank you for the recipe. 🙂

41. Anne E
    September 25, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hi Theresa,
    I LOVE your blog and as an unabashed “foodie” really enjoy reading the historically-based rx you offer and the following comments.
    I have a question about “broth.”
    When I imagine broth, it is a clear meat based, poultry based, vegetable based, seafood based liquid, or a combination of some or all of these, and not as condensed as stock.
    Would this have been what Mrs Fitz offered Claire when she arrived at Castle Leough, or would it have been cereal based?
    Thank you for your response!
    Anne in NoHo

42. Jera Alcorn
    September 27, 2014 at 6:48 am

What did the maid in the tavern put on Jamie’s plate at the wedding feast, after he came down stairs?

43. Becky
    September 27, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I’m a bit confused by the amount of oats – toasted 1/4 cup but only put 2T into the mixture? So ALL the rest is sprinkled? Can’t wait to try – am fixing now in prep for Denver showing of mid-season finale 🙂

44. jamie
    November 30, 2014 at 8:39 am

I love these recipes, and truly hope that there is a cookbook in the future. I know of a free friends that I would purchase it for, as well as for myself.

November 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm

We are working on it! Hope to haves to share soon. 🙂

45. Lynne
    January 23, 2015 at 4:22 pm

So, Robbie Burns’ birthday is approaching and I’m making Cranachan, Crowdie and Shortbread (all your recipes) for the party I’m invited to on Saturday night. The Crowdie is in the pot right now and has a few more minutes before I can begin the straining process.

I’m so excited to see the responses of all the other guests!

46. Cassi
    March 20, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Were one to want to do whiskey soaked oats, what would one want to do for that? How long should the oats soak? Should they be roasted before or after said soaking? Is that just breaking the dessert to try?

47. Jean
    May 16, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I’m about to make this for a get together tomorrow and was reading that the oats were to be soaked in the whiskey over night; “none of the recipes you can find now will tell you to soak the oats”. Theresa, did you soak the oats in your recipe?

May 17, 2015 at 5:47 am

No. Which is why I didn’t include that step in the recipe.

48. Denise
    May 28, 2015 at 11:56 pm

I made this dessert a few weeks back and my god it was so good. The honey whisky cream was divine and then adding the lightly toasted oats gave it just a little more depth. I didn’t have raspberries so used thawed frozen blueberries. Delicimo!