Happy Birthday Claire|saran on cobbles|Happy Birthday Claire

Happy Birthday, Claire!

I was very hungry; I had had nothing to eat since a hasty breakfast of rough parritch and boiled mutton, made soon after dawn at a posthouse in Dundaff. I had one last sandwich remaining in my pocket , but had been reluctant to eat it in the coach, under the curious gaze of my fellow travelers.

I pulled it out and carefully unwrapped it. Peanut butter and jelly on white bread, it was considerably the worse for wear, with the purple stains of the jelly seeping through the limp bread, and the whole thing mashed into a flattened wodge. It was delicious.

Voyager, Chapter 24, "A. Malcolm, Printer"

Happy Birthday Claire

Happy 96th Birthday, Claire Elizabeth Beauchamp Randall Fraser!

I knew it was coming, but I'm afraid I ran out of time to bake a cake.

Instead, I threw together this PB&J...I know you've probably had a craving or two since your last one. I added extra jelly, just the way you like it, and I know a nice hot cup of tea will be welcome to wash it down.

Before I go, I'll just nab that plastic wrap from you...

saran on cobbles

If you're on Twitter, please take a moment to wish Claire a happy birthday today!

Tag your tweets on Monday with #HappyBDayClaire, especially between 8-10 pm in your local time zone, and let's make this a celebration seen around the globe!

(And if you really want to make cake, there's always a Cupcake Craigh na Dun, Claire's Unofficial birthday cake...)

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

20 Oct 2014 - 12:16pm

Anna Lapping

Interesting that my birthday cake has always been carrot cake. These sound wonderful, as does the PB&J.

20 Oct 2014 - 1:10pm

Jayne Harbour

Thank you for this wonderful website. I have cooked two items from it so far, the bannocks and the hot chocolate. This is a wonderful way to keep the books alive and I would think, a wonderful way to celebrate your craft.

20 Oct 2014 - 1:53pm

BostonApril

Funny...I made five PB&J before reading this. It's all my son will take for school lunches. I put PB on both slices of bread so the jelly won't bleed through. :)

20 Oct 2014 - 2:42pm

Nadine

OMG! Was actually just about to go hunting for some Skippy Peanut Butter (only available at Sainsbury's in the UK) perfect motivation to get off the couch! Thanx!

20 Oct 2014 - 3:04pm

Alice Watkins

It is always semi painful for me on October 20 because that is my Da's birthday as well. 10/20/1921. He would be 93 to Claire's 96. But he would prefer a nice mince pie to a pb&j. I love you Daddy and miss you more than I can say.

Theresa

Happy Birthday to your dad, Alice. I miss mine more than I can say...everyday.

Sharon Fastow

Hi, Alice and Theresa! I miss my mom and dad every day too. Someone once told my sisters and me to make our parents' favorite meals on their birthdays, wedding anniversary and the anniversary of their passing. It makes the day more of a celebration of their lives. We should all only have joy and light!

20 Oct 2014 - 5:43pm

Christiane

Hello Theresa ! I love your new pic ! Chapter 24 from Voyager in one of my fav from the books ! I love that passage with the sandwich...and even more when rereading the book because WE KNOW what's to come !! Thankyou and Happy Birthday to our Claire (because she's real, isn't she now thanks to Cait ?).

20 Oct 2014 - 8:51pm

Cherie Chilvers

Love all e-mails keep the coming. Miss my series so much we all wish there wasn't such a long wait for for it to begin again.

20 Oct 2014 - 11:26pm

Marie McKinsey

So THIS is why you were buying white bread the other day :)

21 Oct 2014 - 1:18am

Siobhan MacMahon

Love that teacup !

21 Oct 2014 - 3:42pm

Robin

For some reason, it always bothered me that Claire threw away the plastic wrap from the sandwich. Not only that I hate littering, but a square of plastic wrap may actually be useful for something. Ball it up and save it, Claire! (granted, I wash out my plastic bags and reuse them so maybe it's just me)

Theresa

Nope, it's not just you...another committed plastic bag washer here. :)

Sheridan

No, she had to throw it away! - it was anachronistically incriminating! :)

Liz

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who was rather bothered by the plastic wrap. For my part, I kept thinking, well, why didn't she use waxed paper? (That would've still been anachronistic, but at least it's biodegradable!)

21 Oct 2014 - 5:03pm

Jacki

That is my favorite scene in all the books. It is one I think of when I think of time travel, the cellophane drifting under cart wheels. Thanks.

20 Oct 2015 - 1:01pm

Nancy

Loved the post Theresa! Especially your picture. Presentation is everything.

20 Oct 2015 - 6:31pm

Wanda

Well, A very Happy Birthday to Claire. PBJ sounds a perfect way to celebrate. Always find it interesting that Claire's birthday is only one day away from my birthday. There should be some reason why the universe should have made that so ????? :)

Add new comment