Millionaire's Shortbread inspired by Outlander

Millionaire's Shortbread - Outlander on STARZ Episode 9

And...we're back!

Droughtlander is almost over; only five more days until Episode 9, "The Reckoning" hits STARZ screens across the US.

Are you ready? Are you excited? There has been lots to keep me busy during the break (I hope to share some news soon), but I'm dying to see how TV Jamie gets out of that garrison window he's been crouched in since last year, as well as to get back to cooking and watching Outlander for the next 8 weeks!

Outlander 2014

The rent-collecting party eventually makes it back to Castle Leoch (after Claire's short encounter with a belt, or course,) and I think it's safe to assume from the picture above that all is not well with Dougal.

I can't say Colum is going to appreciate that kind of damage to his candelabras, and besides, it seems he's got a few other things to be upset with his younger brother about...like say, an extra bag of gold hanging about?

shortbread base - Millionaire's Shortbread

I put a lot of thought into the menu for the second half of the season, and I know the history buffs will be happy to hear I've got a couple of traditional and authentic 18th Century Scottish dishes planned for later episodes. I've also added a 20th C Scottish comfort classic, a cocktail, and a couple of projects that will have the bakers amongst us well pleased, indeed.

This first recipe is all about fun, sweet treats and that Jacobite Gold.

millionaire's shortbread

Alas, Millionaire's Shortbread, aka Caramel Shortbread, goes no further back than the 1970s. And, although the recipe was most likely first published in the Australian Ladies' Home Journal, there's no doubt at least the base layer has its roots in Scotland.

So make yourself a pan, grab a few friends and settle back to see who gets the gold.

Millionaire's Shortbread

The recipe is easy to put together, however it does take some time as you have to allow the caramel layer to cool before topping with the chocolate that will also need time to harden.

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

31 Mar 2015 - 10:38pm

Claudia

Thank you Theresa. This weekend we will be celebrating my daughters' birthday who, this week, are both the same age. They were born almost a year apart. They have a Scottish ancestry from their paternal grandmother who's family immigrated to Canada. I will bake this delicacie and I am sure we will enjoy it very much. Thank you.

07 Apr 2015 - 9:19pm

CanadianLass

That is so cool, Cheryl! I'm from Alberta, but I've never heard of these! My sister and I just whipped up a batch this afte oon! Can't wait to eat them!! Thanks for the recipe, Theresa!

09 Apr 2015 - 6:14pm

Theresa

A good single malt or perhaps some

10 Apr 2015 - 4:07pm

Theresa

It`s certainly worth a shot! If you have a good shortbread recipe (that`s not too crumbly) using rice flour, give it a try as the base for this recipe!

30 Mar 2015 - 12:10pm

Dawna

Besides the 3 bottles of whisky that I brought back from Scotland last fall, the only other souvenir was this recipe. I tried it first at Culloden visitor's centre. It was a hit with my co-workers and helped fill my Christmas goodie trays.

30 Mar 2015 - 12:14pm

Sue Roussopoulos

Ooohhh, thanks, Theresa! My sister and her DH are coming do a visit (in time for ep 109). I've been thinking I need to make something sweet. This will work nicely. Can't wait to see all the wonderful things you have planned for us.

30 Mar 2015 - 12:19pm

Laura

One of my fav recipes. This is a Christmas tradition in our house. And for an easy gluten free version you can substitute Rice Krispie squares for the base layer. Eagerly awaiting the second half of the season....can't wait to see how some of those book scenes translate to the screen (and more Jamie in a kilt...definitely looking forward to that!).

Lisa P

If you are looking for a gluten free solution, make sure to get the gluten free Rice Krispies. The original Rice Krispies is flavored with barley malt, which will make people who are gluten intolerant sick. Also, shortbread has the sort of dense, crumbly texture that adapts well when made with gluten free baking mixes that are available at most supermarkets. I am right there with you on wanting to see more Jamie in a kilt! Or Jamie out of a kilt. That works, too!

30 Mar 2015 - 12:29pm

Anna Lapping

Could the Cocktail be a Rob Roy? My husband's grandmother always had one before dinner. The Millionaire's Shortbread sounds wonderful, and the caramel sounds like it could be very useful in other ways as well. Thank you...waiting very impatiently for the weekend and Ep. 109

30 Mar 2015 - 2:25pm

Alylene Fields

Oh OK, this looks delicious. For sure going to have this ready for the Outlander Drought Ending. Nom, Nom, Nom.

30 Mar 2015 - 2:29pm

Merry Miller Moon

Well, now I know exactly what I'm making for our mini Outlander Returns party on Saturday! Thank you so much Theresa! One thing I really missed besides Outlander, was making one of your delicious recipes for every episode! Now, I'm back on it! :)

30 Mar 2015 - 3:33pm

Marjorie

Last holiday season a friend in London sent me this kind of shortbread, from Waitrose. And to further the gold reference, it had edible gold leaf on the top of the chocolate. Very festive and a very tasty treat.

30 Mar 2015 - 4:55pm

Bentje Ott

I especially love a variation of this recipe with a bit of bitter almond in the dough and some rum in the chocolate...

30 Mar 2015 - 5:40pm

Cheryl L

In parts of Alberta Canada this called Twix Bars named after a popular chocolate bar. Delicious!

30 Mar 2015 - 7:29pm

Gladys Adams

This is even better sprinkled with a little salt. I use fleur de sel ,

30 Mar 2015 - 7:29pm

Jeanne

SWEET! Three of my favorite things...Shortbread, Caramel and Chocolate! Can't wait to make this one Theresa!

30 Mar 2015 - 7:30pm

Bullrem

Theresa: OMG carbs are my weakness and shortbread my passion. These (I am sure ) are to die for. I will be making these this week to be sure..... Can't wait to see what else you have up your fork and ladle for us. Helen in Ar

Stephanie

This is the only way to eat chocolate, with shortbread or caramel. Even better if it is both shortbread and caramel. Better yet, if the chocolate is Cadbury.

30 Mar 2015 - 9:05pm

Shana

Oh my! This is making my mouth WATER. I will be making this for the wee laddies. Your recipes are AMAZING and I can't wait. Thanks for another winner!

30 Mar 2015 - 9:46pm

ms.yoshimi

Hi Theresa, my sweet husband informed me last night Mrs. Bug's Buttermilk Drop Biscuits were best he's ever had. I love trying out as many dishes as I can -- can't wait to do the Millionaire's Shortbread! Thanks for all your efforts -- well done!

30 Mar 2015 - 10:35pm

Terri F.

my stomach is growling!

02 Apr 2015 - 12:45am

Emma

I may or may not have yelled and punched the air when I saw that the weekly recipes are back...

02 Apr 2015 - 3:17am

Karen Komarinski

looks great can't wait to try

02 Apr 2015 - 3:48am

Holly B

cant wait to make this - It could be my next favorite next to my Orange Shortbread!!

02 Apr 2015 - 12:32pm

Laura H

Finally going to take the plunge...! Instead of just drooling over your recipes, I plan to make this one in time to enjoy during Episode 109 -- it will definitely provide some sweet comfort during the more uncomfortable scenes.

03 Apr 2015 - 3:50pm

Tory

This looks amazing - I showed the picture to my husband at breakfast this morning and he said, "yes, please!" Just a quick addition to the whiskey pairing suggestions - my hubby and I recently polished off a bottle of wonderful Talisker (distillers edition) that had some moderate smoke/peatiness but also some salty marine flavors that paired amazingly well with a salted caramel and chocolate tart for dessert. Absolute perfection... And I'd bet it would be just as awesome with your Jacobite Gold dessert!

Theresa

I love Talisker! We've got a bottle of Storm hanging around here for special occasions.

04 Apr 2015 - 9:34pm

Adrian

Does one can of condensed milk mean the 14 oz can or the smaller one.

Theresa

I used a 300 ml can (10 oz). My little grocery store only has that size. Another commenter on FB said she used a 14 oz can, and it worked just fine...she just had a thicker caramel layer.

09 Apr 2015 - 4:45pm

Linn Kristin

Absolutely a hit! it was really good and easy to make. I had 4 squares already - I can't seem to stop eating them even though I'm already full. Do you have any tips for what to drink with them? alcoholic and/or non-alcohol :)

10 Apr 2015 - 3:10am

Tricia

I always loved Scottish shortbread. But I have to go gluten and soy-free, and do most of my own cooking from scratch. Have adapted my grandma's biscuit recipe and other recipes for flours like rice or oat flour. Think this would work for rice flour?

Stephanie

Use oat flour for short bread, oat flour works well for short bread.

11 Apr 2015 - 10:02am

Katie Smith

I haven't made this yet, just found this recipe. I will be making it on though Looks delicious!

14 Apr 2015 - 12:19pm

Judi Stull

I used to love eating these when we lived in England, but my recipe only had English measurements and called for Golden Syrup, which I hadn't tried to find an equivalent for. So, I tried your recipe and it was SO fantastic! Yum! Thanks!

15 Apr 2015 - 5:44pm

micky

It's so funny because I was going to make these and someone else beat me to it. She brought it in for church in the morning

17 Apr 2015 - 10:36pm

Stephanie D

Is this anything like salted caramel squares from Starbucks? Has anyone tasted those? I think the only difference might be they crumble pretzels into the caramel before doing that layer.

21 Apr 2015 - 9:09pm

Joining the ba…

you been?!?), my Outlander and Boot Camp buddy and I partook in some lovely Scottish fare, namely Millionaire Shortbread. The recipe was from Outlander Kitchen, which is fast becoming another favourite foodie site of

24 Aug 2015 - 5:49pm

Kelly

Had to write to say thanks for the recipes!! I've been into the books forever but only recently got my boyfriend (who has STARZ, I don't) to get into the show with me. He had the idea to make an Outlander feast on the night we watch the final 2 episodes of season 1, and so last night we did. We made this recipe, as well as your roast beef recipe, and of course tatties and neeps along with garlic butter roasted carrots. Huge hit - the roast beef was out of this world!! Thanks :)

27 Sep 2015 - 8:18am

Debra

This was awesome! Just for personal tastes, next time I'm going to cut the shortbread to about 2/3 of this amount and double the caramel! Also, my chocolate didn't set well, so I might throw in a smidge of coconut oil or something to help it firm up a bit more. Thank you for this!

26 May 2016 - 1:21am

Jackie Watson

Gotta love a great shortbread recipe!

Add new comment

You might also be interested in