Millionaire’s Shortbread – Outlander on STARZ Episode 9

Millionaire’s Shortbread – Outlander on STARZ Episode 9

Outlander on Starz

And…we’re back!

Droughtlander is almost over; only five more days until Episode 9, “The Reckoning” hits STARZ screens across the US.

Are you ready? Are you excited? There has been lots to keep me busy during the break (I hope to share some news soon), but I’m dying to see how TV Jamie gets out of that garrison window he’s been crouched in since last year, as well as to get back to cooking and watching Outlander for the next 8 weeks!

Outlander 2014
from STARZ

The rent-collecting party eventually makes it back to Castle Leoch (after Claire’s short encounter with a belt, or course,) and I think it’s safe to assume from the picture above that all is not well with Dougal.

I can’t say Colum is going to appreciate that kind of damage to his candelabras, and besides, it seems he’s got a few other things to be upset with his younger brother about…like say, an extra bag of gold hanging about?

shortbread base - Millionaire's Shortbread

I put a lot of thought into the menu for the second half of the season, and I know the history buffs will be happy to hear I’ve got a couple of traditional and authentic 18th Century Scottish dishes planned for later episodes. I’ve also added a 20th C Scottish comfort classic, a cocktail, and a couple of projects that will have the bakers amongst us well pleased, indeed.

This first recipe is all about fun, sweet treats and that Jacobite Gold.

millionaire's shortbread

Alas, Millionaire’s Shortbread, aka Caramel Shortbread, goes no further back than the 1970s. And, although the recipe was most likely first published in the Australian Ladies’ Home Journal, there’s no doubt at least the base layer has its roots in Scotland.

So make yourself a pan, grab a few friends and settle back to see who gets the gold.

Millionaire's Shortbread

The recipe is easy to put together, however it does take some time as you have to allow the caramel layer to cool before topping with the chocolate that will also need time to harden.

Millionaire’s Shortbread

:A three-layered sweet treat so delicious, it can set brother against brother faster than the Jacobite’s Gold.

Yield: 9” pan (16 squares)

• All-Purpose Flour – 1¾ Cup
  • Sugar – ⅓ Cup
  • Salt – ½ tsp
  • Butter, softenened, in cubes – ¾ Cup
  • Butter – ¼ Cup
  • Brown Sugar – ½ Cup, firmly packed
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1 can
  • Milk or Dark Chocolate – 7 oz (2 large bars)
  • Butter – 2 tsp

Move the rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350° F.

Dot the sides and bottom of a 9” square baking pan with butter, then line with parchment or aluminum foil, sticking the paper to the butter and ensuring the edges are higher than the pan.

Make the Shortbread: Stir together the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add the ¾  cup butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until everything resembles cornmeal or fine breadcrumbs. Knead the mixture together in the bowl to form a dough. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and prick lightly with a fork. Bake until firm and lightly brown, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pan. (See notes.)

Make the Caramel: Heat the ¼ cup butter, brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk in a pan over medium to a gentle boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Pour over the shortbread in an even layer and allow to cool completely.

Make the Chocolate: Melt the chocolate and 2 tsp butter in a double boiler over hot water until smooth. Pour over the cooled caramel in an even layer. Cool completely.

Remove from the pan and use a sharp knife to cut into squares. Store, wrapped, in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Ith do leòr! (Eat Plenty)

• The shortbread can still be warm when you pour over the caramel. However, the caramel layer must be completely set before you pour over the hot chocolate.
  • Looking for a good whisky to match? Here’s a few suggestions.

1. Dawna
    March 30, 2015 at 5:10 am

Besides the 3 bottles of whisky that I brought back from Scotland last fall, the only other souvenir was this recipe. I tried it first at Culloden visitor’s centre. It was a hit with my co-workers and helped fill my Christmas goodie trays.

2. Sue Roussopoulos
    March 30, 2015 at 5:14 am

Ooohhh, thanks, Theresa! My sister and her DH are coming do a visit (in time for ep 109). I’ve been thinking I need to make something sweet. This will work nicely. Can’t wait to see all the wonderful things you have planned for us.

3. Laura
    March 30, 2015 at 5:19 am

One of my fav recipes. This is a Christmas tradition in our house. And for an easy gluten free version you can substitute Rice Krispie squares for the base layer.

Eagerly awaiting the second half of the season….can’t wait to see how some of those book scenes translate to the screen (and more Jamie in a kilt…definitely looking forward to that!).

• Lisa P
      April 1, 2015 at 9:09 pm

If you are looking for a gluten free solution, make sure to get the gluten free Rice Krispies. The original Rice Krispies is flavored with barley malt, which will make people who are gluten intolerant sick. Also, shortbread has the sort of dense, crumbly texture that adapts well when made with gluten free baking mixes that are available at most supermarkets.

I am right there with you on wanting to see more Jamie in a kilt! Or Jamie out of a kilt. That works, too!

4. Anna Lapping
    March 30, 2015 at 5:29 am

Could the Cocktail be a Rob Roy? My husband’s grandmother always had one before dinner. The Millionaire’s Shortbread sounds wonderful, and the caramel sounds like it could be very useful in other ways as well. Thank you…waiting very impatiently for the weekend and Ep. 109

5. Alylene Fields
    March 30, 2015 at 7:25 am

Oh OK, this looks delicious. For sure going to have this ready for the Outlander Drought Ending. Nom, Nom, Nom.

6. Merry Miller Moon
    March 30, 2015 at 7:29 am

Well, now I know exactly what I’m making for our mini Outlander Returns party on Saturday! Thank you so much Theresa! One thing I really missed besides Outlander, was making one of your delicious recipes for every episode! Now, I’m back on it! 🙂

7. Marjorie
    March 30, 2015 at 8:33 am

Last holiday season a friend in London sent me this kind of shortbread, from Waitrose. And to further the gold reference, it had edible gold leaf on the top of the chocolate. Very festive and a very tasty treat.

8. Bentje Ott
    March 30, 2015 at 9:55 am

I especially love a variation of this recipe with a bit of bitter almond in the dough and some rum in the chocolate…

9. Cheryl L
    March 30, 2015 at 10:40 am

In parts of Alberta Canada this called Twix Bars named after a popular chocolate bar.
    Delicious!

• CanadianLass
      April 7, 2015 at 2:19 pm

That is so cool, Cheryl!
      I’m from Alberta, but I’ve never heard of these!
      My sister and I just whipped up a batch this afternoon!
      Can’t wait to eat them!!
      Thanks for the recipe, Theresa!

• Cheryl L.
      April 8, 2015 at 11:01 am

Be strong, it’s hard to eat just one or two squares.

10. Gladys Adams
    March 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm

This is even better sprinkled with a little salt. I use fleur de sel ,

11. Jeanne
    March 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm

SWEET! Three of my favorite things…Shortbread, Caramel and Chocolate! Can’t wait to make this one Theresa!

12. Bullrem
    March 30, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Theresa: OMG carbs are my weakness and shortbread my passion. These (I am sure ) are to die for. I will be making these this week to be sure….. Can’t wait to see what else you have up your fork and ladle for us.
    Helen in Ar

March 31, 2015 at 11:37 am

Great to hear from you, Helen!

• Stephanie
      April 17, 2015 at 1:58 am

This is the only way to eat chocolate, with shortbread or caramel. Even better if it is both shortbread and caramel. Better yet, if the chocolate is Cadbury.

13. Shana
    March 30, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Oh my! This is making my mouth WATER. I will be making this for the wee laddies. Your recipes are AMAZING and I can’t wait. Thanks for another winner!

March 31, 2015 at 11:37 am

Thanks, Shana!

14. ms.yoshimi
    March 30, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Hi Theresa, my sweet husband informed me last night Mrs. Bug’s Buttermilk Drop Biscuits were best he’s ever had. I love trying out as many dishes as I can — can’t wait to do the Millionaire’s Shortbread! Thanks for all your efforts — well done!

March 31, 2015 at 11:37 am

High praise, indeed! I’m glad you’re liking the recipes.

15. Terri F.
    March 30, 2015 at 3:35 pm

my stomach is growling!

March 31, 2015 at 11:36 am

Better get busy, Terri! 😉

16. Claudia
    March 31, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Thank you Theresa. This weekend we will be celebrating my daughters’ birthday who, this week, are both the same age. They were born almost a year apart. They have a Scottish ancestry from their paternal grandmother who’s family immigrated to Canada. I will bake this delicacie and I am sure we will enjoy it very much. Thank you.

17. Emma
    April 1, 2015 at 5:45 pm

I may or may not have yelled and punched the air when I saw that the weekly recipes are back…

18. Karen Komarinski
    April 1, 2015 at 8:17 pm

looks great can’t wait to try

19. Holly B
    April 1, 2015 at 8:48 pm

cant wait to make this – It could be my next favorite next to my Orange Shortbread!!

20. Laura H
    April 2, 2015 at 5:32 am

Finally going to take the plunge…!
    Instead of just drooling over your recipes, I plan to make this one in time to enjoy during Episode 109 — it will definitely provide some sweet comfort during the more uncomfortable scenes.

21. Tory
    April 3, 2015 at 8:50 am

This looks amazing – I showed the picture to my husband at breakfast this morning and he said, “yes, please!” Just a quick addition to the whiskey pairing suggestions – my hubby and I recently polished off a bottle of wonderful Talisker (distillers edition) that had some moderate smoke/peatiness but also some salty marine flavors that paired amazingly well with a salted caramel and chocolate tart for dessert. Absolute perfection… And I’d bet it would be just as awesome with your Jacobite Gold dessert!

April 4, 2015 at 9:22 am

I love Talisker! We’ve got a bottle of Storm hanging around here for special occasions.

22. Adrian
    April 4, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Does one can of condensed milk mean the 14 oz can or the smaller one.

April 4, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I used a 300 ml can (10 oz). My little grocery store only has that size. Another commenter on FB said she used a 14 oz can, and it worked just fine…she just had a thicker caramel layer.

23. Linn Kristin
    April 9, 2015 at 9:45 am

Absolutely a hit! it was really good and easy to make. I had 4 squares already – I can’t seem to stop eating them even though I’m already full.

Do you have any tips for what to drink with them? alcoholic and/or non-alcohol 🙂

April 9, 2015 at 11:14 am

A good single malt or perhaps some

24. Tricia
    April 9, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I always loved Scottish shortbread. But I have to go gluten and soy-free, and do most of my own cooking from scratch. Have adapted my grandma’s biscuit recipe and other recipes for flours like rice or oat flour. Think this would work for rice flour?

April 10, 2015 at 9:07 am

It`s certainly worth a shot! If you have a good shortbread recipe (that`s not too crumbly) using rice flour, give it a try as the base for this recipe!

• Stephanie
      April 17, 2015 at 2:05 am

Use oat flour for short bread, oat flour works well for short bread.

25. Katie Smith
    April 11, 2015 at 3:02 am

I haven’t made this yet, just found this recipe. I will be making it on though Looks delicious!

26. Judi Stull
    April 14, 2015 at 5:19 am

I used to love eating these when we lived in England, but my recipe only had English measurements and called for Golden Syrup, which I hadn’t tried to find an equivalent for. So, I tried your recipe and it was SO fantastic! Yum! Thanks!

27. micky
    April 15, 2015 at 10:44 am

It’s so funny because I was going to make these and someone else beat me to it. She brought it in for church in the morning

28. Stephanie D
    April 17, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Is this anything like salted caramel squares from Starbucks? Has anyone tasted those? I think the only difference might be they crumble pretzels into the caramel before doing that layer.

29. Kelly
    August 24, 2015 at 10:49 am

Had to write to say thanks for the recipes!! I’ve been into the books forever but only recently got my boyfriend (who has STARZ, I don’t) to get into the show with me. He had the idea to make an Outlander feast on the night we watch the final 2 episodes of season 1, and so last night we did. We made this recipe, as well as your roast beef recipe, and of course tatties and neeps along with garlic butter roasted carrots. Huge hit – the roast beef was out of this world!! Thanks 🙂

30. Debra
    September 27, 2015 at 1:18 am

This was awesome! Just for personal tastes, next time I’m going to cut the shortbread to about 2/3 of this amount and double the caramel! Also, my chocolate didn’t set well, so I might throw in a smidge of coconut oil or something to help it firm up a bit more. Thank you for this!

31. Jackie Watson
    May 25, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Gotta love a great shortbread recipe!