Puff Pastry Boar Tusk Bracelets – Outlander on STARZ Episode 114

Puff Pastry Boar Tusk Bracelets – Outlander on STARZ Episode 114

Outlander on Starz

A gift from one good sister to another…but who originally bestowed these beautiful boar tusk bracelets to Ellen Fraser?

Book readers know — but it’s still a mystery to those of you who are only familiar with TV Outlander — and I’m not going to tell you…unless you want me to.

starz

Those of you who have been around Outlander Kitchen for awhile will have seen these Puff Pastry Boar Tusks before. The recipe has been up for a couple of years — and when I saw the bracelets on TV last weekend, I couldn’t help but congratulate myself for how much mine look like the real things!

I thought it would be fun to revisit this recipe…these things are delicious! They need few ingredients, and, although a little fiddly, they’re pretty easy to put together, especially after the first couple.

kitchenIn fact, I put these together with absolutely no kitchen left at all…

(My new Outlander Kitchen should be installed by the end of next week. Good thing I have a cocktail planned for Episode 115 – they don’t require a kitchen either.)

prosciuttoSPOILER:

If you really want to know who gave the boar tusks to Ellen before it’s revealed on screen, or if you’re a book reader who wants to indulge in the beauty of the excerpt that accompanies these tusks, you’ll find the original post here.

I politely request that nobody reveal the answer in the comments below this post. I will delete any spoilers as soon as I see them…just this once. I mean, would you have wanted it spoiled when you experienced the series for the first time?

puff pastry boar tusks

Puff Pastry Boar Tusks w/ Prosciutto & Asparagus

Buttery and bacony appetizers inspired by Ellen Fraser’s boar tusk bracelets, passed on to Claire by Jenny.

Yield: 12 Boar Tusk Bracelets

• Egg – 1
  • Prosciutto or Bacon – 12 slices
  • Puff Pastry, thawed but still cold – 1 pkg
  • Asparagus – 24 tips (about 2” long)
  • Parmesan Cheese, shredded – ¼ Cup

Preheat the oven to 425° F.

Beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water to make an egg wash.  Line two baking sheets with parchment or a silpat (silicone liner).  Cut the prosciutto or bacon slices in half lengthwise, so that you have 24 narrow strips.

On a lightly floured counter, roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle measuring about 8” x 12” and ⅛” thick.  Use a sharp knife to cut the pastry into (12) 1” wide strips.  The cleaner the cuts, the more evenly the pastry will puff.

Brush 2 or 3 strips with the egg wash on BOTH sides.  Cover the remaining strips with plastic wrap to prevent drying.

Holding an asparagus tip on to one end of a pastry strip, wrap the prosciutto/bacon around both, securing the asparagus to the pastry.  Repeat on the other end with another asparagus tip and bacon strip.

Handling it gently, twist the pastry ends into spirals, then lay it on the prepared baking sheet in a horseshoe shape, with the asparagus tips pointing towards the middle.  Cover with plastic wrap and repeat for the 12 other tusks.

Dab the tusks with a little extra egg wash, sprinkle with grated parmesan and bake until golden,  12 to 15 minutes. Rotate and turn the pan at 8 minutes, reshaping the tusks if necessary.  Work quickly to get the oven door closed ASAP.

Cool on a rack and serve soon after baking.  Recrisp in the oven if necessary.

Ith gu leòir! (Eat Plenty)

Tips:

• The warmer puff pastry dough gets, the trickier it becomes to handle. If things are getting slippery, cover everything with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
  • The tusks can be prepared in the morning, wrapped well, and stay in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake them that evening.
  • Easier, and almost as tasty, is to spiral bacon or prosciutto around straight strips of puff pastry to make Bacon Sticks (below).
  • The prosciutto becomes crispy and extra saltilicious, while the bacon fat contributes a different, but equally delicious flavour.  I made half and half, which seemed to go down well around here.

puff pastry boar tusks with bacon

1. violet
    May 5, 2015 at 5:18 am

Very creative!!!

2. Merry Miller Moon
    May 5, 2015 at 5:48 am

These are the best! I cannot stop smiling just looking at the picture of them. I’m so making these on Saturday for this week’s episode. Thank you Theresa! 🙂

3. lynne cunningham
    May 5, 2015 at 6:37 am

Hi Teresa. Heading ur way Sunday. So excited. Hope to find ur kitchen and pop in for a bite and say hi. Please tell me again where ur located. Ol Sista Lynne

May 5, 2015 at 6:53 am

Not sure where you’re going Lynne, but I hope you have a nice trip. 🙂 I live on the west coast of Canada and work out of my home kitchen. I don’t have a restaurant. My about page tells the story.

4. Paula M
    May 5, 2015 at 7:58 am

Can’t wait to make these. Not only are they creative but they look very tasty.

5. Mary Morgan
    May 5, 2015 at 8:51 am

I cannot wait to make these, Teresa. I spilled the beans (hanging head in shame) and told my husband who gave the bracelets to Ellen Fraser. He promptly told me NOT to tell him anymore spoilers. 🙂

May 5, 2015 at 10:10 am

That taught you, Mary! LOL

6. ms.yoshimi
    May 5, 2015 at 11:25 am

Hi Theresa, the Scotch Broth was a winner and I’ve always wanted to do these wonderful “bracelets” — thanks for your creativeness and I know you’ll love your kitchen remodel!
    ms. yoshimi

7. Jan Anderson
    May 5, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Hey these really DO look like the real ones!! Nice job! I’m sure my viewing party lassies will love them. Last week’s dishes were a big hit, especially the chicken. I thought we’d have leftovers, but the gals made plates to bring home so only one lonely wing and one lonely small breast were left….that’s from two whole chickens!! So yes…it was a hit! I followed the video for the chicken separating…that was really cool! The fat lines…who knew?! Mahalo plenty 🙂

8. Jamie
    May 5, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Theresa these look great! But I have some family members who have an allergy to eggs. Is there anything you know of that I can use to substitute?

May 6, 2015 at 6:14 am

Brush them with a little milk instead, Jamie.

9. karen
    May 6, 2015 at 11:24 am

That was a sweet part to the story. ❤ will it be told in the show? Hope so

10. Camille
    May 6, 2015 at 11:27 am

These look awesome and we’re making them for the next episode. I am vegetarian…any ideas on what to use instead of meat? Maybe no meat at all would be ok?

May 6, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Just trying to think of a veg you could use to wrap the asparagus to the puff…long strips of zucchini?

• Kylie Pearson
      May 7, 2015 at 11:48 pm

I was thinking the same thing Camille.
      Theresa, would thin strips of carrot work? or strings of Leek?
      Just a thought.

May 8, 2015 at 8:55 am

Leek is a great idea. Strong fibres…

• Camille
      May 11, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Awesome Kylie and Theresa! I am making them this Saturday for an Outlander date with some friends so I will try a Leek!

11. Leslie
    May 6, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Theresa, great suggestion for making these vegetarian and egg free. Not for me, but it will help when I serve them to others.

I appreciate your efforts.

I really hope the face of the person who gifted the tushes to Ellen is shown when they realize that Claire has them now. Wink, wink.

May 6, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I’m pretty sure I have the scene all worked out in my head. 😉

12. Susan
    May 7, 2015 at 7:58 am

When I saw them uncooked…they didn’t look very appetizing. But wow! They look so yummy now that I’ve seen them cooked! I love you site and your recipes. Thanks so much!