Jamie's Rusty Nail from Outlander on Starz S1E15

Jamie's Rusty Nail - Outlander on STARZ S1E15

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

12 May 2015 - 10:56pm

Yoshimi

Congratulations on the cookbook - well done!

Terri

There's a cookbook? Do you mean an Outlander cookbook and if so where can I get it? Thx

Theresa

It's coming, Terri, but not for a while yet.

Terri

Congrats on the cookbook, look forward to it when it comes out!

BaS

DOA = Dead on Arrival, as well as the acronym for the book'twas a play on acronyms.

12 May 2015 - 11:00pm

Victoria

The beverage sounds delish - and I think Spotted Dick would've been a good dish to make for Wentworth. :)

13 May 2015 - 12:43am

Amy Meighan

Jamie's drink huh, hahah. I was drinking these back in the 60's when we never missed happy hour at the officer's club and vietnam was raging in the background. If I had one today I would be under the table after the first sip. But I loved that drink. hmmm, i just may have to have one now!!

13 May 2015 - 1:38am

Cindy

I am not much of a scotch drinker, haven't found one I like, more used to bourbon and Irish whisky, but this drink sounds really good. Any whisky suggestions for a beginning drinker that would work well with this drink recipe?

Michelle

Cindy, try the Macallan 12, it's aged in sherry casks and goes down sweet, not smoky....

13 May 2015 - 2:09am

Terri

Thanks Theresa, wouldn't wNt to be drinking "crap"

13 May 2015 - 2:27am

Karen

Actually made Gypsy stew last week. Absolutely delicious. Nothing was left.

22 May 2015 - 6:55pm

Mary Morgan

Oh my! I wished I had this drink when I was watching the episode last week. Looks like I'll need a few for tomorrow nights viewing, plus the final dish from you for the season finale. Thank you!

12 May 2015 - 12:28pm

Katherine

what about grilled ribs [beef[? don't know that they will do the cattle stampede though! LOL!

12 May 2015 - 1:35pm

Terri

Hi there, the only whisky in our house is Canadian 40 Creek, would that work with the Drambuie? Will be drinking for Jamie during Wentworth and would like to support him with a good drink or two! Thanks, Terri

12 May 2015 - 1:38pm

Anna Lapping

Wise choice for this episode. It might require more than one....

12 May 2015 - 1:55pm

Susan

So... I've got some Laphroaig and Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or (Sometimes I want "tastes like liquid smoke", sometimes I want smmmmmoooooth, what can I say? :) ) and no blended whiskey. Which do you think would work best? I'm dreading this upcoming episode... what a harrowing part of the book.

12 May 2015 - 2:04pm

Elizabeth Graziano

I especially enjoy this drink after a long hard day.

12 May 2015 - 2:12pm

Tanya

Very excited to try Drambui. This combo sounds fantastic. Gonna need several on Sat!

12 May 2015 - 2:33pm

Mandy

This is one of my all-time favorite drinks. I'm sure a lot of people will need a bit of stiff sweetness after this one. Eeeeek. (Personally, I have been waiting for this episode since the start).

12 May 2015 - 2:38pm

Mary Anne Niebyl

I believe you meant to quote "DIA" --not "DOA" --ha ha--let's not give up on Jamie yet! Claire certainly won't. Love the choice of recipe.

Sara

Maybe she means the quotation at the top of the right sidebar?

Theresa

Perhaps...It is correct, and it comes just before Bree takes her first bite of a Bridie in DOA.

Cindy

I think some people are confusing DIA (Dragonfly in Amber) with DOA (Drums of Autumn).

Theresa

I think some people should check the source material before they attempt to correct me. :) But that's after 3 years of doing this...

13 May 2015 - 6:02pm

Char

Well, since whisky makes me puke, this is appropriate, I suppose.

13 May 2015 - 6:07pm

Lianne Browne

Love Rusty Nails! Great Idea

13 May 2015 - 6:08pm

Kris

Overindulged on Drambuie once - haven't had it in years. Maybe putting sweet Jamie's name on it would make it more palatable.

13 May 2015 - 7:43pm

Louise Evans

I have loved this drink for a long time. Serve with crushed or small ice cubes for best results and I have switched to putting in a wedge of lemon (squeezed) and love it way more than the twist of lemon.

13 May 2015 - 8:53pm

Stephanie

I love Rusty Nails! Haven't had one in over 45 years! But will have to have one while watching this episode! Thanks for the reminder!

13 May 2015 - 9:50pm

Deborah

This is an old timey drink! It's hit and miss with finding a bartender that knows it, lol. My husband learned about it from his grandfather... We've been drinking it for years! It's really good!! We like to use a blended whiskey. Our favorite whiskey to use is Chivas Regal 12 year. You're absolutely right tho, don't want the Drambuie to overpower... it's got to be just the right balance. Also adding a splash of water allows different, new and subtle flavours that you previously had not experienced to shine. I highly recommend this! ENJOY! :D

Cheryl

Agree with above posts. A Rusty Nail is an old drink from the 40's,50's , 60's. Have made many in our bar in SW CO. We do add a splash of water to the Whisky & Drambuie; however, it is traditionally garnished with a cherry, not a lemon twist.

Theresa

Interesting! All of the cocktail sites I saw it on had it garnished with a twist.

13 May 2015 - 10:13pm

NHBill

Using Dalmore for Rusty nails is a bit of a sacrilege. J&B or even Cutty Sark would benefit from the Drambuie. But if you are going to go downscale on Scotch I always reach for Ballantine's.

Theresa

I enjoyed it. Hardly sacrilege. I find dated opinions like that limiting...but to each their own. Slaintern

13 May 2015 - 10:14pm

Lee Ann H

Planning on a Rusty Nail or a Dirty Highlander (or two) on Saturday. Will be watching alone. Hubby will be home next weekend so he will watch it then. He will need one of these, I am sure! Congrats, Theresa, on the upcoming cookbook. We will all be waiting with bated breath.

Terri

Hi there, can I ask what's in a dirty Highlander drink? Thanks, Terri

Lee Ann H

Dirty Highlander - 1 shot good whisky, 1 shot Kahlua, 2 shots Baileys on ice! Yummy.

Terri

Sounds even better then the rusty nail....might have to make at least one of each! Thanks!

14 May 2015 - 1:01am

Kathryn Jones

Since Outlander started, this has become my favorite drink; especially while watching the show and the repeats!

14 May 2015 - 12:52pm

Kristine

Congratulations on the cookbook! I can't wait to page through it. My husband loves Govenor Tryon's Humble Crumble Apple Pie, he says it is the best one he has ever had. My daughter loves Fiona's Cinnamon Scones, especially when I have Mrs Bugs Cinnamon Butter handy. I love shortbread cookies of all kinds. I had left over Wisky Sugar and sprinkled it on top of a apple pie and it was outstanding. The whole family loves your Pork Roast w Cider Sauce and Neeps and I served the Roast Beef when I had company over . I look forward to working my way through many more recipes. I thought I'd make sure to have plenty of false courage to get through Saturday but I don't have any Scotch at the moment would Jameson or Wild Turkey be alright?

Theresa

What ever gets you through...and I'm so glad the whole family likes Outlander Kitchen.

14 May 2015 - 11:03pm

Jayne Harbour

I will have my whiskey close at hand. Maybe I shouldna ask, but is Rusty Nail referring to the nail and the mallet from the book?

17 May 2015 - 1:03am

sharona

I would use The Laddie Ten" or perhaps Port Charlotte. But any Bruichladdich bottle will do!!!

17 May 2015 - 2:46am

Pam Morra

Two took the edge off this episode nicely. Brilliant suggestion. My husband added that the cocktails were "awesome".

Add new comment

You might also be interested in