Jamie’s Rusty Nail – Outlander on STARZ Episode 115

Jamie’s Rusty Nail – Outlander on STARZ Episode 115

Outlander on Starz

Jamie’s Rusty Nail

This isn’t going to be easy, and there’s not a food on earth that pairs well with Wentworth Prison — instead, let’s toast our favourite fictional hero, and have a few drams to get through the night.

• 2 oz Scotch Whisky
  • .75 to 1 oz Drambuie
  • crushed ice

Pour the whisky and Drambuie into a glass filled with lots of ice.  Stir and serve with a lemon twist, if desired.

• Traditionally made with blended whisky, I used what we had on hand: The Dalmore 12 YO single malt.
  • Drambuie is a liqueur made from whisky, heather honey, herbs and spices. It adds a spiced sweetness that should flavour the whisky without overpowering it.
  • For a spring-like lemon twist, wrap a length of zest tightly around a chopstick and hold for a few seconds until it stays put on its own.

1. Katherine
    May 12, 2015 at 5:28 am

what about grilled ribs [beef[?
    don’t know that they will do the cattle stampede though! LOL!

2. Terri
    May 12, 2015 at 6:35 am

Hi there, the only whisky in our house is Canadian 40 Creek, would that work with the Drambuie? Will be drinking for Jamie during Wentworth and would like to support him with a good drink or two! Thanks, Terri

May 12, 2015 at 7:24 am

That will work just fine!

• Terri
      May 12, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Thanks Theresa, wouldn’t wNt to be drinking “crap”

3. Anna Lapping
    May 12, 2015 at 6:38 am

Wise choice for this episode. It might require more than one….

4. Susan
    May 12, 2015 at 6:55 am

So… I’ve got some Laphroaig and Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or (Sometimes I want “tastes like liquid smoke”, sometimes I want smmmmmoooooth, what can I say? 🙂 ) and no blended whiskey. Which do you think would work best? I’m dreading this upcoming episode… what a harrowing part of the book.

May 12, 2015 at 7:23 am

I would go with the Nectar D’Or.

5. Elizabeth Graziano
    May 12, 2015 at 7:04 am

I especially enjoy this drink after a long hard day.

6. Tanya
    May 12, 2015 at 7:12 am

Very excited to try Drambui. This combo sounds fantastic. Gonna need several on Sat!

7. Mandy
    May 12, 2015 at 7:33 am

This is one of my all-time favorite drinks. I’m sure a lot of people will need a bit of stiff sweetness after this one. Eeeeek. (Personally, I have been waiting for this episode since the start).

8. Mary Anne Niebyl
    May 12, 2015 at 7:38 am

I believe you meant to quote “DIA” –not “DOA” –ha ha–let’s not give up on Jamie yet! Claire certainly won’t. Love the choice of recipe.

May 12, 2015 at 9:00 am

I’m confused. I didn’t quote anything…glad you like the drink!

• Sara
      May 12, 2015 at 9:52 am

Maybe she means the quotation at the top of the right sidebar?

May 12, 2015 at 10:08 am

Perhaps…It is correct, and it comes just before Bree takes her first bite of a Bridie in DOA.

• Cindy
      May 12, 2015 at 10:50 am

I think some people are confusing DIA (Dragonfly in Amber) with DOA (Drums of Autumn).

May 12, 2015 at 11:41 am

I think some people should check the source material before they attempt to correct me. 🙂 But that’s after 3 years of doing this…

9. Yoshimi
    May 12, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Congratulations on the cookbook – well done!

• Terri
      May 12, 2015 at 7:07 pm

There’s a cookbook? Do you mean an Outlander cookbook and if so where can I get it? Thx

May 12, 2015 at 8:28 pm

It’s coming, Terri, but not for a while yet.

• Terri
      May 13, 2015 at 3:35 am

Congrats on the cookbook, look forward to it when it comes out!

• BaS
      May 22, 2015 at 9:50 pm

DOA = Dead on Arrival, as well as the acronym for the book…’twas a play on acronyms.

10. Victoria
    May 12, 2015 at 4:00 pm

The beverage sounds delish – and I think Spotted Dick would’ve been a good dish to make for Wentworth. 🙂

11. Amy Meighan
    May 12, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Jamie’s drink huh, hahah. I was drinking these back in the 60’s when we never missed happy hour at the officer’s club and vietnam was raging in the background. If I had one today I would be under the table after the first sip. But I loved that drink. hmmm, i just may have to have one now!!

12. Cindy
    May 12, 2015 at 6:38 pm

I am not much of a scotch drinker, haven’t found one I like, more used to bourbon and Irish whisky, but this drink sounds really good.

Any whisky suggestions for a beginning drinker that would work well with this drink recipe?

• Michelle
      May 13, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Cindy, try the Macallan 12, it’s aged in sherry casks and goes down sweet, not smoky….

13. Karen
    May 12, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Actually made Gypsy stew last week. Absolutely delicious. Nothing was left.

14. Char
    May 13, 2015 at 11:02 am

Well, since whisky makes me puke, this is appropriate, I suppose.

15. Lianne Browne
    May 13, 2015 at 11:07 am

Love Rusty Nails! Great Idea

16. Kris
    May 13, 2015 at 11:08 am

Overindulged on Drambuie once – haven’t had it in years. Maybe putting sweet Jamie’s name on it would make it more palatable.

17. Louise Evans
    May 13, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I have loved this drink for a long time. Serve with crushed or small ice cubes for best results and I have switched to putting in a wedge of lemon (squeezed) and love it way more than the twist of lemon.

18. Stephanie
    May 13, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I love Rusty Nails! Haven’t had one in over 45 years! But will have to have one while watching this episode! Thanks for the reminder!

19. Deborah
    May 13, 2015 at 2:50 pm

This is an old timey drink! It’s hit and miss with finding a bartender that knows it, lol. My husband learned about it from his grandfather… We’ve been drinking it for years! It’s really good!! We like to use a blended whiskey. Our favorite whiskey to use is Chivas Regal 12 year. You’re absolutely right tho, don’t want the Drambuie to overpower… it’s got to be just the right balance. Also adding a splash of water allows different, new and subtle flavours that you previously had not experienced to shine. I highly recommend this! ENJOY! 😀

• Cheryl
      May 13, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Agree with above posts. A Rusty Nail is an old drink from the 40’s,50’s , 60’s. Have made many in our bar in SW CO. We do add a splash of water to the Whisky & Drambuie; however, it is traditionally garnished with a cherry, not a lemon twist.

May 14, 2015 at 6:11 am

Interesting! All of the cocktail sites I saw it on had it garnished with a twist.

20. NHBill
    May 13, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Using Dalmore for Rusty nails is a bit of a sacrilege.
    J&B or even Cutty Sark would benefit from the Drambuie.
    But if you are going to go downscale on Scotch I always reach for Ballantine’s.

May 13, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I enjoyed it. Hardly sacrilege. I find dated opinions like that limiting…but to each their own. Slainte

21. Lee Ann H
    May 13, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Planning on a Rusty Nail or a Dirty Highlander (or two) on Saturday. Will be watching alone. Hubby will be home next weekend so he will watch it then. He will need one of these, I am sure!
    Congrats, Theresa, on the upcoming cookbook. We will all be waiting with bated breath.

• Katherine
      May 13, 2015 at 5:25 pm

What’s in a Dirty Highlander??

• Terri
      May 13, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Hi there, can I ask what’s in a dirty Highlander drink? Thanks, Terri

May 14, 2015 at 6:10 am

I would Google it!

• Terri
      May 14, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Okey doke, I will! Thx

• Lee Ann H
      May 14, 2015 at 8:46 am

Dirty Highlander – 1 shot good whisky, 1 shot Kahlua, 2 shots Baileys on ice! Yummy.

• Terri
      May 14, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Sounds even better then the rusty nail….might have to make at least one of each! Thanks!

22. Kathryn Jones
    May 13, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Since Outlander started, this has become my favorite drink; especially while watching the show and the repeats!

23. Kristine
    May 14, 2015 at 5:52 am

Congratulations on the cookbook! I can’t wait to page through it. My husband loves Govenor Tryon’s Humble Crumble Apple Pie, he says it is the best one he has ever had. My daughter loves Fiona’s Cinnamon Scones, especially when I have Mrs Bugs Cinnamon Butter handy. I love shortbread cookies of all kinds. I had left over Wisky Sugar and sprinkled it on top of a apple pie and it was outstanding. The whole family loves your Pork Roast w Cider Sauce and Neeps and I served the Roast Beef when I had company over . I look forward to working my way through many more recipes.

I thought I’d make sure to have plenty of false courage to get through Saturday but I don’t have any Scotch at the moment would Jameson or Wild Turkey be alright?

May 14, 2015 at 6:12 am

What ever gets you through…and I’m so glad the whole family likes Outlander Kitchen.

24. Jayne Harbour
    May 14, 2015 at 4:03 pm

I will have my whiskey close at hand. Maybe I shouldna ask, but is Rusty Nail referring to the nail and the mallet from the book?

25. sharona
    May 16, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I would use The Laddie Ten” or perhaps Port Charlotte. But any Bruichladdich bottle will do!!!

26. Pam Morra
    May 16, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Two took the edge off this episode nicely. Brilliant suggestion. My husband added that the cocktails were “awesome”.

May 17, 2015 at 5:48 am

Good to hear! Slainte

27. Meg
    May 16, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Made this tonight to drink with a friend during Episode 115 – came out really well. Thanks for the idea! I’m learning to like whisky.

May 17, 2015 at 5:48 am

Woohoo!

28. Sharyle
    May 17, 2015 at 12:32 am

Between pay days so I drank the last of my Jim Beam Honey whiskey!

29. Diane
    May 17, 2015 at 9:11 am

New favorite drink (well, at least for a while anyway – you know how that is!). Never had tasted Drambuie before – it adds a nice sweetness but not too sweet. Really, it was a funny picture, six of us sitting sort of in a semi-circle in front of the television with our identical drinks, sometimes being used to cover our faces! Keep the recipes coming!

30. Denise
    May 17, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Just mixed this up. May be a new favorite. Even if its inspiration comes from a dark place.

31. Mary Morgan
    May 22, 2015 at 11:55 am

Oh my! I wished I had this drink when I was watching the episode last week. Looks like I’ll need a few for tomorrow nights viewing, plus the final dish from you for the season finale. Thank you!

32. Deena
    May 25, 2015 at 9:36 am

Love Rusty Nails. An unabashed cocktail as there ever was! Thanks for the Cherry Bouce reminder too. I forgot last year, and really want to try it out. My comment however is regarding your fab new look! Amazing hair for you, lady, takes at least 10 years of your lovely face. Bravo!