Outlander Kitchen's Open Bar

Open Bar for Outlander on STARZ Episode S1E16

I'll be honest. Between Wentworth and the five-week renovation my Outlander Kitchen is still undergoing, I couldn't come up with a NEW recipe this week.

In fact, I'm tempted to compare living through a renovation to Wentworth, but we know where that's bound to send me (at least in the minds of a few...)

11236423_964476836928104_3637633988127951363_n

Instead, we'll drink (again)! For episode 116 - the toughest TV most of us will ever watch (certainly willingly) - OK is hosting an open bar. What's your drink of choice?

A beer? Sure! I went out and picked up a few local favourites with a Scottish theme. There's an Angry Scotch Ale, or an oatmeal stout, depending on your mood. The oatmeal stout is what I've got in my gorgeous Outlander ale glass, available at the Outlander Store.

Also local is my choice to stand in for Colum's Rhenish. Mine is the stellar Blanc de Noir from Sea Star Vineyards right here on Pender Island. I could drink it everyday, just like Colum!

Next up, of course, is the single malt. This bottle of Cardhu is a new one for us, and that's what I'll personally drinking on the big night. Many of you will still have some Drambuie left from last week, which goes down very smoothly on it's own.

Lavender Fudge

Any good bar always serves at least a few snacks...and Outlander Kitchen is no exception. My nibble of choice this week is, I think, fitting: Black Jack Randall's Lavender Fudge.

And with that, all there is left to say is Slàinte...and maybe Bottom's Up.

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

27 May 2015 - 2:34am

Anna Lapping

Molly, how bad can it be??? If someone served me fudge and Scotch whisky, it would be verra well pleased.

27 May 2015 - 7:29am

Mardi P

may have a problem, this weekend I found that I rather like whiskey - was given some Jameson's and dry ginger ale... had always disliked whiskey till now. So my choices will be between Athol Brose and whisky, what a hard life..! :)

26 May 2015 - 1:20pm

Anna Lapping

My drink of choice is a good Bourbon, like George Dickel or Maker's Mark. Admittedly, not Outlanderish, but probably the ancestor to it is the whiskey that Jamie made at Fraser's Ridge.

Theresa

yes! corn mash very quickly took over from a barley one once they reached the States!

26 May 2015 - 2:36pm

Nicole

Bwahahahahaha, bottom's up.... very tarty ;)

26 May 2015 - 3:44pm

Robin

Lavender Fudge? Bottoms up? Your kitchen is in turmoil and you still leave us with a great post this week! Thanks Theresa- You always make me smile!

26 May 2015 - 3:45pm

Lee Ann H

I have been drinking my Cherry Bounce (made with vanilla vodka) with club soda and a squeeze of lime. I prefer it mixed with soda rather than straight up. It is a very pretty cocktail, too.

26 May 2015 - 3:49pm

Nancy McGehee …

Since you have the Drambuie, I'd add a good blended scotch like Monkey Shoulder, for either mixing or single sipping. I'm an Islay single malt fan, so I'll be sipping either a Bowmore 15yr, or Ardbeg Uigeadail, which I like to pair with sweets like the lavender fudge. I like the contrast of flavors between the smoke, peat, and dark chocolate.

26 May 2015 - 3:54pm

BostonApril

Though I've not made it myself, I have been fortunate to taste your Lavender Fudge as Karen Boilard made some for the members of Outlandish Boston last year as a favor. It is delicious! I might have to make some myself! Thanks for reminding us of the recipe! :) I hope your kitchen rennovations are sorted soon! Cheers, Theresa! April Steelern@Caitrionation

Josie Osterman

Wait, wait! Outlandish Boston? How do I get more information? I am from the area and have been a fan for many, many years - and I recently introduced a friend/coworker and she is addicted! Where can I go for more detail?

26 May 2015 - 5:05pm

Jean Foster

Theresa, All great choices! You will like the Cardhu it's smooth. I've not made the fudge yet, but will this week. I'm guessing it gets better as it ages a bit. I love your new kitchen! The red cabinets are beautiful. I hope you enjoy it once it's complete. I'll be looking for some new recipes to help me through to Season Two! Jean Foster Maryland

26 May 2015 - 5:26pm

Michelle

My favorite scotch is Dalmore 12 year. But I enjoy most of the Highland single malt scotch. The Balvenie double barrel is good, as is Oban 18 or even the Glenfidditch. What should I look for if I wanted to get something close to a rhenish? I think that might be heavenly with dark chocolate.

26 May 2015 - 5:39pm

Monique Huurman

I know Pender Island, I'm in the Fraser Valley :) my drink of choice is Australia's Black Label red wine and I will have a bottle breathing and ready for 116. Cheers Monique

26 May 2015 - 6:25pm

Sandie Russo

Oatmeal Stout sounds amazing! I'll have to have my hubby get us some to try. :) Thanks for all the fabulous recipes, Theresa!! <3

26 May 2015 - 6:39pm

Jan Anderson

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! Bottoms up!! Your're a riot! Oh poor old Jamie! This is going to be a tough one to watch. It would be so much easier if they weren't such great actors. Last week's back licking scene and Jamie's tear were gut wrenching. Alas....we'll all bear witness on Saturday. Your kitchen looks amazing! :-) It looks like you'll be done and enjoying the fruits of your labor very soon. Last week the viewing party lassies took over the food prep for the evening and each made something different from your recipe library. It was all SO yummy! We had a number of dishes and drinks that were all delicious (thanks as always for that) and I was able to just sit back and enjoy them along with the show. What a blast, what an inspiration you are and what a great bunch of lassies! This week......heavy drinking is in order! haha So cheers! Slainte! and of course.....bottoms up! ;-)

26 May 2015 - 6:40pm

Sherri G.

Hahahaha . . .bottoms up! Lol! Great post! Scotch and chocolate go beautifully together.

26 May 2015 - 9:23pm

Julie T

Theresa, do you have a kick butt recipe for chocolate fudge...maybe made with whisky? Somehow chocolate seems to comfort those who are stricken and looks like "To Ransom A Man's Soul" may involve large portions of chocolate and whisky!

Theresa

I linked to a fudge recipe at the bottom of this post. See the picture? See the link? Voila!

27 May 2015 - 12:40am

Molly

Ack! This is no time to be out of lavender in my pantry. :( There is plenty in my yard blooming but I can't remember which is French and which is English. Maybe I'll throw caution to the wind and just sprinkle it atop.

27 May 2015 - 1:48pm

Robin Gilbert

Maybe..........this week we should NOT say "bottoms up"!

27 May 2015 - 6:47pm

Tisha

I have discovered Atholl Brose and can't get enough of it. Love the whisky laced with honey and herbs. Definitely my beverage of choice this week!

27 May 2015 - 11:12pm

Jenn

Auchentoshan 12 (my favorite) for me this week. Will absolutely be trying the fudge.

27 May 2015 - 11:21pm

Sheralee

a snifter of good ole drambuie!!!! scottish whisky fit for those who love the sweet tones.

27 May 2015 - 11:59pm

ms.yoshimi!

Hi Theresa, love the new pic - thanks for kitchen renovation update! I vote for oatmeal stout!

28 May 2015 - 12:17am

Mochele

Pretty sure I'm going to need one of each for this Saturday night.

28 May 2015 - 12:28am

Pat Sabiston

Did you know that often the distillers would name their scotch for veterinary supplies? That way, they didn't have to pay taxes on the extraordinary beverage. With that in mind, I've tasted such divine flavors like: Sheep Dip. Whatever it takes, right?

28 May 2015 - 12:28am

Moira

You have to include Dalmore single malt in your open bar. The label reads: "The Dalmore's heritage dates back to 1263, when an ancestor of the Clan MacKenzie, owner of the Dalmore distillery for over a century, saved King Alexander the Third from the fury of a charging stag. In recognition of this noble act, the grateful king granted the Clan MacKenzie the right top use a 12-point stag, representing a 'Royal' in their coat of arms. Thus striking icon has since adorned each bottle of The Dalmore, symbolizing the Dalmore distillery's regal legacy."

Theresa

Yes, I've featured Dalmore here before. We like to rotate our selection so we're always trying new ones!

28 May 2015 - 1:23am

Catherine Johnson

I don't want to commit blasphemy or anything, but after a near lifetime of drinking scotch whisky (which I LOVED), I've kinda switched to the Irish Whiskey. It goes through the barrels three times instead of two. It is generally smoother and a little lighter. Jameson's and Paddy's and 2 Gingers are lovely and a nice security blanket for the finale.

28 May 2015 - 1:38am

Lisa

SMSW...w/dark sea salt chocolate, nuts & dried cherries

28 May 2015 - 3:06am

Cindy

I ended up making some Atholl Brose because of Outlander. It's basically Oatmilk liquor.

Theresa

Yes, we made Atholl Brose in the first half of the season!

28 May 2015 - 3:41am

Jan

My absolute favorite is single malt Macalum, just enough smoke and smooth-oh my it's so good. Then there is Laphroig,, which is more like chemotherapy! My, my , it' s strong! And a great plate of Fish and Chips, and I am in heaven! Or the salmon served at the restaurant in Beauly, the Lovat Arms, almost a relious experience .

28 May 2015 - 8:00am

Shawn Bird

Oh dear. Whatever are those of who don't drink going to do? Especially since I'm supposed to be no-carb and so that fudge is out, too. (At least if DH joins me to watch, which he always does). Maybe some beef in honour of the Rescue Kine? Your renos look very exciting! I look forward to seeing the finished product at the start of season 2!

28 May 2015 - 11:41am

Maureen Bruneau

Any wines you could suggest?I am not. Beer/ale/stout drinker.

Theresa

I'm not much of a wine drinker, I'm afraid! lol maybe ask at your local wine shop?

28 May 2015 - 8:03pm

Dianne Creel

Thank you very much for names of whiskey that are Scottish. Been searching and asking and now have found some names. Here in Alabama we mostly drink Jack Daniels

Theresa

Scottish whisky doesn't have an "e". That's one way to tell from the label. ;)

28 May 2015 - 8:36pm

Peigi

Appreciating scotch whisky was one of the few things that I learned in college (!) I've always liked it straight,rnbut some say that you need to add water to bloom it. Any opinions out there?

S. A. Young

Personally, Peigi, I like a large ice cube (usually made just for the occasion). Theresa, made your Atholl Brose for "The Gathering" and for "Lallybroch". Love it!

28 May 2015 - 9:23pm

Janet Sutherland

I'll be drinking Tomatin from the distillery just about 18 miles down the road. I might make some Cranachan (whisky, whipped cream, toasted pinhead oatmeal, honey and raspberries) for desssert too. Yum!!

29 May 2015 - 1:19am

Anna Lapping

Diane Creel, I'm a bourbon drinker as well. jack is fine, but George Dickel is better, and about the same price point. You should be able to find it. It's hard to find outside the South.

29 May 2015 - 8:30pm

Hakulani Naone

For this last episode I'm gathering some Courage. It's a light ale. It's an English beer with some Scottish history. Hope this adds to the mix..

Anna Lapping

Just finished watching. We had several glasses of bourbon with ginger cookies (biscuits) and coffee. We watched it twice in a row so we needed that. Alan kept saying "Oh, he has to die". re BJR of course.

Add new comment