Young Ian's Grilled Succotash Salad from Outlander book Echo in the Bone

Young Ian's Grilled Succotash Salad from Echo in the Bone

Not for the first time, I mourned Mrs. Bug’s abilities as a cook, though of course I did miss her for her own sake. Amy McCallum Higgins had been raised in a crofter’s cottage in the Highlands of Scotland and was, as she put it, “a good plain cook.” Essentially, that meant she could bake bannocks, boil porridge, and fry fish simultaneously, without burning any of it. No mean feat, but a trifle monotonous, in terms of diet.

My own pièce de résistance was stew— which, lacking onions, garlic, carrots, and potatoes, had devolved into a sort of pottage consisting of venison or turkey stewed with cracked corn, barley, and possibly chunks of stale bread. Ian, surprisingly, had turned out to be a passable cook; the succotash and squash pie were his contributions to the communal menu. I did wonder who had taught him to make them, but thought it wiser not to ask.

An Echo in the Bone, chapter 8, "Spring Thaw"

I hope everyone is having a great summer! It's HOT here. Hot like I've never seen it, and I've lived on the Pacific North-West Coast all my life. Before it rained for a couple of days in late July, we hadn't had more than an hour of the wet stuff since May.

That means my garden is thriving (with a daily application from the hose), especially my tomatoes. To be honest, I've never had more than a couple ripen on the vine in all the years I've tried to grow them...but this year, we're going to have a bumper crop!

Of course, the project that's taking up most of my time is the Outlander Kitchen Cookbook. My recipe development is ticking along according to schedule, and I should be finished with all of the new recipes later this month.

image

To see more #OutlanderKitchenCookbook teaser pics, like this of some quick refrigerator pickles I adapted from Voyager, subscribe to the Outlander Kitchen feed on Instagram![/caption]

OK on Instagram

Once I'm done with the recipe development, I'll be asking for some Recipe Testers from my AMAZING fan base -- you! Recipe testers will be asked to test up to 3 recipes a week, about 12 to 15 recipes in total, from September through to mid October.

I'll be giving a lot more details later, but if you're interested, it's important to know that you are responsible for the cost of all of the ingredients, and there is a little bit of paperwork and a quick photo required for each dish you test.

I'll be looking for a wide range of experience in the kitchen, so beginners from confident home cooks will all be welcome to apply. At this point, I'll be limiting the testing to North America. If the cookbook is published in Europe and Australasia, then I will be looking for metric testers then. :)

In exchange, all testers will receive a signed copy of Outlander Kitchen, and your name in the Acknowledgement section of the cookbook. No need to tell me now if you're interested -- think about it. It will be a bit of work, and you have to decide if you have time in your already busy lives.

Young Ian's Grilled Succotash Salad

And now, back to today's Succotash Salad! This dish was a big hit around here, and the recipe makes a ton, so it's perfect for a neighbourhood/family barbecue or potluck. It also keeps well in the fridge for at least 3 days.

I'm sorry to say my picture here really doesn't do it justice...all this recipe development has my brain working on internal mode, and my plating/photography skills are resting, at the back of my brain, waiting to be woken up.

But trust me, this salad is a real summer treat.

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

06 Aug 2015 - 9:51pm

AlannaT

This looks like another winner!!! Have to try out. You guys have the excessive heat this summer while we in IL had the most rain EVER recorded for June. Alas, our garden is caput - washed out. But farmers market is still a go. :) Would love to be a tester! Cook daily and love to try new things, so venture ON! Thanks for always sharing your passion and allowing all of us to benefit. Hehe

06 Aug 2015 - 10:45pm

Tracy Clapsaddle

I would love to be a tester! I really enjoy your recipes. Cooking is something I do a lot of.

06 Aug 2015 - 10:51pm

Leslie

Dear Theresa, Again, congratulations on the book contract. So excited for you and look forward to perusing it when it arrives in the bookstore. I would love to partake as a the recipe tester. As you know, I have a very willing audience to taste the recipes at the Everything Outlander retreats we hold here in CO. Really excited for this cookbook, it will be the first "new" cookbook to be added to my collection in many a year.

Jan McLaughlin

Dawn, http://www.sunshinemtnlodge.com/ is where the Everything Outlander Retreats are held. The August retreat is already full but there will be another in the spring. Leslie and I will be using some of Theresa's recipes to feed everyone.

07 Aug 2015 - 12:17pm

Jennifer Privee

I would LOVE to be a tester. I am a recipe-a-holic and a true foodie. (Not to mention a CRAZY Outlander fan.) I have enjoyed following OK. Looking forward to your cookbook!

06 Aug 2015 - 1:10pm

Anna Lapping

Oh, Yum! What a great way to use some of my garden harvest. We are also having a very hot, dry summer and my utility bill proves it! I don't grow corn or lima beans but can get them at the market, everything else I have in my garden, and always looking for new ways to use zucchini! Thank you for another great recipe.

Anna Lapping

Well, since every one is getting on the tester bandwagon early....I would love to be a tester, and will have time to do it. Thanks.

06 Aug 2015 - 3:01pm

Vivian Varela

I would like to be considered for recipe testing! I'm a good home cook and can follow directions as needed :) As a devoted fan of the series for more than 20 years I have enjoyed reading your insights to the food world of Clare and Jamie.

06 Aug 2015 - 3:48pm

Nancy Steger

Can't wait to try this Theresa! We're sweltering in Houston; often "feels like" temps of high 80s at night. I'm looking forward to a few days in Montana at cooler temps. I would love to be one of your recipe testers. It was such fun cooking with you at Mast Farm Inn at the Fraser Clan Gathering!

06 Aug 2015 - 4:25pm

ms.yoshimi

Always love your recipes and have had much success - my favorite still is Mrs Bug's Buttermilk Biscuits, followed closely by Brianna's Bridies (I've made these a few times with what ever fruit I've got available -- last time was white peaches). Please count me in as a tester, I'd be honored!

06 Aug 2015 - 4:37pm

RaeLynn Duffy

This looks and sounds amazing! Being a pescovegitarian I am always looking for great vegetable dishes, this one fits the bill. I would also love to be a tester, but will be in Scotland for two weeks in September when you are testing. Da . I have made several of your recipes in the past few months and have loved all of them. I also loved your kitchen makeover.

06 Aug 2015 - 4:55pm

Jill

Okay that sounds amazing!

06 Aug 2015 - 4:55pm

Susan

Yum! It sounds like you have Indiana weather, and we have yours. Our tomatoes and corn are suffering from too much rain and not enough heat. We've only had a day or two over 90! Unheard of in Indiana! Enjoy all the tomatoes your hot weather is giving you!

06 Aug 2015 - 6:03pm

Debb Whitman

Dear Theresa, My name is Debb Whitman, I am also a proessional Chef and I would love to take part as a recipe tester. I am semi retired now, I make custom cakes and desserts from home now, so I have time to devote to the project. I am a huge Outlander fan, in fact I am planning my first trip to Scotland this fall. I enjoy your website and the recipes you share and look forward to adding your cookbook to my collection. My page on Facebook is Just Desserts Custom cakes for all occasions. Thanks!

06 Aug 2015 - 6:05pm

Susan Broderick

this looks amazing! I have fresh sweet co coming in soon here in Massachusetts and I can't wait to try this recipe out. I would love to be a tester! I have a tiny kitchen and some home taught skills. Even just a chance to try out your recipes, the OK and your other sites are my go to places for yummy meals.

06 Aug 2015 - 7:45pm

Kat

This, like most of your food, looks amazing. Can't wait to fix it and try it on my family. I'd love to be a Recipe Tester, while not whirling dervish in the kitchen, I do consider myself to be a 'good plain cook'. Which in my case means I don't bu the food I'm fixing, I can multi task, as needed when I'm fixing Christmas or Thanksgiving dinners, but I'm a simple kind of cook, meat and potatoes, with a few fancy splashes thrown in here and there.

07 Aug 2015 - 12:36am

Jan McLaughlin

I would love the chance to be a tester for your new recipes! I have made a lot of your recipes from A Taste of Outlander already and always get rave reviews! Love Mrs. Fitz's Baps & Ian's Buttered Leeks for simple comfort food. And your Atholl Brose always goes over well for those of us who love it!

07 Aug 2015 - 12:52am

Christine Victorsen

I am not on Instagram but I would love the recipe for the Quick Refrigerator Pickles! Is there any place else I can find the recipe?

Theresa

The recipe wasn't posted on Instagram, Christine, just the picture. The recipe will be in the Outlander Kitchen cookbook, coming out in 2016.

07 Aug 2015 - 2:13am

Katherine

I would be absolutely thrilled to test recipes for you! I am a Missouri home cook and have the time. Certainly the gumption!

07 Aug 2015 - 2:22am

Dawn

I'll have try this. I make a similar one with avocado and black beans.

07 Aug 2015 - 3:02am

Marla G

Looks wonderful, can't wait to make it.

07 Aug 2015 - 10:11am

Lynley

Hi, sounds like a great recipe, will try it as soon as it warms up her again in Australia! But I have always wondered what is succotash?! Can you enlighten me? Love the recipes!

Theresa

Lynley,nnIf you google "succotash" you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know. Good luck!

07 Aug 2015 - 5:55pm

Sandi Koos

We have recently retired to NE New Mexico. My husband has been complaining of my limited menus. I suggested I be a tester for your book but his concern is that we will have problems getting ingredients. We have a small store in town and Walmart is 30 minutes away. If you think most ingredients could be found at WalMart then I would love to be a tester. I love to cook and my husband and I have a great interest in trying new things. I was a teacher years ago and am not put off by having to write about my recipe experiences. Also, we have both been Outlander fans for decades and have visited Scotland which we fell in love with. I'm really excited about your new book and would love to think I played a part in it's testing.

08 Aug 2015 - 12:24pm

Pearl Lien

So excited for your cookbook! I am such a huge fan of the books and Outlander Kitchen. I would love to be a tester. I am a home cook from Toronto :)

10 Aug 2015 - 1:34am

Leigh A.

This is a delicious recipe! I've tried quite a few of your recipes and this one just sings with summer. I live in Wisconsin so many of these ingredients are in season right now which is fabulous. This was probably the easiest recipe I've tried from OK and now I'm just looking for an excuse to take it to a party! Thank you for the never ending inspiration to try new things.

11 Aug 2015 - 6:11pm

Jennifer

Ohhhh, this looks fantastic! We just returned home to California from an Epic Road trip to the Northwest. We spent on of our days on the San Juan Islands. They were absolutely spectacular! I thought of you while we were there and we even tried to find some of the Sea Star Vineyards wine, but to no avail. One of our group didn't have a passport so we couldn't cross over into Canada. I am going to make this yummy dish this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out for me! Take Care,rnJennifer

Theresa

Glad you had a great trip, Jennifer! Please let me know what you think of the succotash!

15 Aug 2015 - 2:49pm

Regan

I'm a foodie, love to cook and create recipes. I'd love to be a tester, especially since I'll be spending all September in my RV, and this will be the real challenge: can RVers use the Outlander cookbook in our limited space, with only a stove top, microwave/convection oven, and outdoor cooking on grill or open fire. It will be almost like 18th century cooking.

Add new comment

You might also be interested in