Banoffee Trifle from the Outlander Kitchen Cookbook

Calling All Would-Be Outlander Kitchen Recipe Testers!

Over a bowl of Succotash two weeks ago, I told you that very soon I would be asking for applications from those of you who are interested in being 1 of 10 Outlander Kitchen Recipe Testers for the upcoming cookbook.

...I'm back to tell you the time has come!

Ulysses's Syllabub from TFC

I'm asking potential testers to commit to testing 2 recipes per week for 6 weeks. THAT'S A LOT OF WORK, especially when you consider grocery shopping, cleanup, and filling out the feedback form for each recipe.

Please make sure you think about whether you can really afford the time (and expense) before you convince yourself this is something you want to do. I'm asking a lot from you -- trust me, I know -- so I need to pick a team that can get this done with me in the short time that we have.

None of the above means that you have to be a near-professional chef with a fully equipped kitchen. I have a recently renovated kitchen now, but remember my kitchen for the last 12 years here on Pender was the one you see below. I've catered for hundreds in this 10 foot kitchen, and also raised and baked Outlander Kitchen using a $375 Kenmore oven, a second hand fridge and the loudest dishwasher in the world. You don't need a shiny, expensive kitchen to cook delicious food.

The Old Outlander Kitchen

The Old Outlander Kitchen

I'm looking for cooks of all levels with different types and variety of equipment. Dietary restrictions and choices don't preclude you from being selected either -- it would be nice to have a vegetarian, for example, to test the veg mains.

BUT MOST OF ALL, I'm looking for a team of people that have time and energy to spare from September 7 to October 19, 2015. Life happens, so I'll also choose 2 "alternates" that can take over from someone in case of an emergency.

Rolls with Pigeon & Truffles

Rolls with Pigeon & Truffles

In exchange for your hard work, your name will appear in, and you will receive a signed copy of, the Outlander Kitchen cookbook. There is no payment for testing services, nor reimbursement for ingredients/expenses.

Find more information and fill out the form here. You must have, or apply for, a Google sign-in to access the form. APPLICATIONS VIA COMMENTS BELOW, EMAIL OR FACEBOOK WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.

Thank you to everyone who applies! Due to the number of anticipated responses, only those selected, as well as the 2 alternates in case of emergency, will receive a reply.

The deadline for applications is Monday, August 24, 2015 at 12 noon, Pacific Time.

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

18 Aug 2015 - 1:45pm

Theresa

Please ensure you fill out the form . You must have, or apply for, a Google sign-in to access the form. APPLICATIONS VIA COMMENTS BELOW, EMAIL OR FACEBOOK WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Thank you! theresa

18 Aug 2015 - 1:55pm

Jo Griffiths

When you need an international tester with metric I will put my hand up, good luck

18 Aug 2015 - 2:13pm

jamie beshears

Form filled out and on pins and needles! This Sassy-nach would love to fire up her kitchen for this cause!

18 Aug 2015 - 2:19pm

Brandi Pursley

As above, I also have been banned from the kitchen and am greeted with screams of horror when I announce I am going to "try something"! I do love to browse cookbooks, but its more of reading a fantasy novel!! Best of luck to you upon release of your book, and also to the brave and wonderful souls who will be your testers.

18 Aug 2015 - 2:21pm

ALICE DYMENT

I can put in the time, but where would I get for instance , pigeon and truffles. Big city folk probably are more able to find more of these ingredients than the rest of us.

Theresa

That recipe is actually made with chicken thighs. As I said, I'm looking for all types of cooks with different access to equipment and ingredients.

18 Aug 2015 - 2:23pm

Kelley McKay F…

Oh I wish, I wish, I wish I could...but my teaching load will be unusually heavy at that exact time (I'm helping to cover a colleague's maternity leave), so I won't even apply. I love your recipes, though, and know you'll find some great cooks to help you out. I can't wait for the cookbook! :)

18 Aug 2015 - 2:35pm

Tina Masiak

Sign me up! The hubs and I are ready, willing and able.

18 Aug 2015 - 2:45pm

Kris

How many non-traditional ingredients are typically used? I ask based on the photo of the pigeon truffle rolls.

Theresa

That recipe is made with chicken thighs. The cookbook is intended to be used by the average home cook, with average access to ingredients. If you go to the application form, you'll see I ask about your access to harder-to-find ingredients.

18 Aug 2015 - 2:49pm

Traraneh

Oh how I wish I could!! Pta and the kids schedules prevent me BUT I cannot wait to get that book in my little hands! Any titles yet? I'm so excited for me and you!!

18 Aug 2015 - 3:20pm

Chris Sheely

I'd love to do this, but we have to be completely gluten free and low carb here due to my husband's dietary restrictions. I can't wait to see the cookbook though!!

18 Aug 2015 - 3:28pm

Natasha Rider

Theresa, I would LOVE to help! But before I apply, roughly, what is the anticipated expense range?

Theresa

It depends on the recipes you get given, Natasha. I really can't give a range, except to say OK recipes aren't crazy with specialized ingredients...but food is getting more expensive everyday, especially meats and dairy.

18 Aug 2015 - 12:08pm

Mary Ann Gessner

I am newly retired, am a confident cook, live in the country not unlike Frasers Mountain in NC....although our home is in the mountains of Vermont. I would love to help you and can. Mary Ann

18 Aug 2015 - 12:10pm

FryKat

I would love to be one of your testers, but couldn't start until after Labor Day. Let me know if that works for you.

Theresa

Follow the link in the post and fill out the application form so I have all of your details! As long as you can start during the week after Labor Day, you`re good. :)

Mary Lee Taylor

I don't have a website, would love to be a taster for you. I have been cooking Scotish dishes for some friends ever since Outlander aired on TV. Was thrilled when I found you're website and plan to start cooking when the new show starts. We wear our Outlander Tee Shirts and have a great time. I'm not sure what is required to become a taster for you as I just stumbled on this. Hope to hear from you, my husband of 55 years pasted away a year ago, so I fill my time doing with as many interesting things as I can. I am planning on a trip to Scotland in two years for my daughter's 50th birthday!

Mary Lee Taylor

Since it is the end of Sept. and I have some medical tests coming up this week and will be gone for a week in Oct. I suppose I must bow out of the running. I think it would be such an honor to be chosen for this great opportunity, I must be realistic about my being able to comply with such a demanding schedule. Am looking forward to buying your cookbook when finished and on the market. For the first episode of the new season I am making Smoked Haddock Pt and something from your list of recipes, haven't decided yet which one yet they all sound good to me, but I'm not a picky eater. I think I would have managed well during the era of Outlander as far as food!

18 Aug 2015 - 12:42pm

Marjorie Kloster

Hello Teresa. What a fabulous idea! I would love to be considered an Outlander recipe tester. I am a retired laboratory professional that has always loved to cook and try new recipes, and would be ready, enthusiastically willing, and financially able to participate. What fun!

18 Aug 2015 - 12:49pm

Danielle Tinsley

Theresa - this is lovely! I would be the worst tester in history as I've been banned from kitchen beyond boiling water or microwaving (God Bless my husband who can cook wonderfully). I get bored and lay my arm on the edge of the pot...while something is cooking :) However, I do adore cookbooks because they're like reading SciFi novels for me. Best of luck & best wishes on your endeavour! I look forward to buy my next SciFi book...I mean your cookbook. Danielle

18 Aug 2015 - 12:55pm

Karin

I'd _love_ to see your remodeled kitchen! ;)

18 Aug 2015 - 1:17pm

Donna Rykken

I have discovered new recipes and gathered the courage to try them through Outlander and would love to try them "The Stewart Clan" reporting for duty to the Celtic kitchen I to I have even made The haggis. Shepards pie and bannocks.

18 Aug 2015 - 1:26pm

Barb neaves

Would LOVE to participate - I am retired have the time and Scottish heritage.

18 Aug 2015 - 1:36pm

Marjorie Kloster

Hello Theresa. What a fabulous idea! I would love to be considered an Outlander recipe tester. I am a retired laboratory professional that has always loved to cook and try new recipes, and would be ready, enthusiastically willing, and financially able to participate. What fun!

18 Aug 2015 - 1:37pm

Vickie legg

I would love to be a tester.

18 Aug 2015 - 1:38pm

Leslie

I would love to be a tester for you. I am retired and have the time and my schedule micraculously frees up during your time line. Cheers!

18 Aug 2015 - 5:35pm

Terri Rostad

I would be interested. I enjoy cooking.

18 Aug 2015 - 5:41pm

Cindy Peterson

I would love to test for you. I am an accomplished cook, past caterer to the rich...some were famous in their own minds...and I am not afraid of a recipe. I live in the Pacific Northwest. I have a cooks kitchen and probably all the equipment necessary to do almost anything. I am a detail person and food and cooking are my passion. I started cooking when I was 12 and as self taught. My love is shown through my cooking.

18 Aug 2015 - 6:27pm

Alice Watkins

Not applying to be a tester here because I actually read your post. Hope the folks selected have fun and follow the instructions. A little Tuesday snarky bit from Atlanta. (Sorry, just couldn't resist) I am looking forward to the results and sincerely want you to have fun with this.

18 Aug 2015 - 6:38pm

Robin

I am really bummed out- the dates for testing don't work for me. Theresa you have inspired me to stretch my home cooking skills to no end. Your Dundee Cake was the clincher- you had me blanching almonds and candying lemon and orange peel like a pro! Your directions and attention to detail are always awesome. If I can do it then anyone with the desire can do it also. The very best of luck to all you lucky testers- I am so totally jealous! I need some Cherry Bounce to cheer me up.

18 Aug 2015 - 6:54pm

Bethanne Enggren

I am a retired Nurse whose favorite hobby has been cooking/baking. I did my first (and only !] cooking demo at the age of 8 at a fair! I am also half Scot and therefore Outlander is my heritage! I would be proud to work with you. I live just outside Boston so should be able to get ingredients. Thanks for your consideration

18 Aug 2015 - 7:18pm

Jeri

I'm interested, when would this start, I'm taking a vacation 9/5 - 9/12?

Theresa

Please ensure you fill out the form . All of the information is at the top of the form. You must have, or apply for, a Google sign-in to access the form. APPLICATIONS VIA COMMENTS BELOW, EMAIL OR FACEBOOK WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Thank you! theresa

18 Aug 2015 - 7:41pm

mary

I will gladly participate! I live in North Carolina. Love food. Love to eat good food. Love to cook, too. and, I'm good at it.

18 Aug 2015 - 9:48pm

Leslie

Form filled out and submitted. Good luck to everyone.

18 Aug 2015 - 9:55pm

Deb Williams

Hi Theresa, I am one so very disappointed Aussie cook and your requirements calling for cooks from US and Canada only really hurts my feelings :) . I am also a Coeliac and have an advanced repertoir of receipes adapted for gluten free cooking. I can cook in imperial measurements and metric and have gas cooktop and electric oven. I'd love the opportunity to be a 'niche' recipe tester if that's possible.

Add new comment