Calling All Would-Be Outlander Kitchen Recipe Testers!

Calling All Would-Be Outlander Kitchen Recipe Testers!

The Outlander Kitchen Cookbook

Over a bowl of Succotash 2 weeks ago, I told you that very soon I would be asking for applications from those of you who are interested in being 1 of 10 Outlander Kitchen Recipe Testers for the upcoming cookbook.

…I’m back to tell you the time has come!

Ulysses's Syllabub from TFC
Ulysses’s Syllabub from TFC

I’m asking potential testers to commit to testing 2 recipes per week for 6 weeks. THAT’S A LOT OF WORK, especially when you consider grocery shopping, cleanup, and filling out the feedback form for each recipe.

Please make sure you think about whether you can really afford the time (and expense) before you convince yourself this is something you want to do. I’m asking a lot from you — trust me, I know — so I need to pick a team that can get this done with me in the short time that we have.

None of the above means that you have to be a near-professional chef with a fully equipped kitchen. I have a recently renovated kitchen now, but remember my kitchen for the last 12 years here on Pender was the one you see below. I’ve catered for hundreds in this 10 foot kitchen, and also raised and baked Outlander Kitchen using a $375 Kenmore oven, a second hand fridge and the loudest dishwasher in the world. You don’t need a shiny, expensive kitchen to cook delicious food.

The Old Outlander Kitchen
The Old Outlander Kitchen

I’m looking for cooks of all levels with different types and variety of equipment. Dietary restrictions and choices don’t preclude you from being selected either — it would be nice to have a vegetarian, for example, to test the veg mains.

BUT MOST OF ALL, I’m looking for a team of people that have time and energy to spare from September 7 to October 19, 2015. Life happens, so I’ll also choose 2 “alternates” that can take over from someone in case of an emergency.

Rolls with Pigeon & Truffles
Rolls with Pigeon & Truffles

In exchange for your hard work, your name will appear in, and you will receive a signed copy of, the Outlander Kitchen cookbook. There is no payment for testing services, nor reimbursement for ingredients/expenses.

Find more information and fill out the form here. You must have, or apply for, a Google sign-in to access the form. APPLICATIONS VIA COMMENTS BELOW, EMAIL OR FACEBOOK WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.

Thank you to everyone who applies! Due to the number of anticipated responses, only those selected, as well as the 2 alternates in case of emergency, will receive a reply.

The deadline for applications is Monday, August 24, 2015 at 12 noon, Pacific Time.

1. Mary Ann Gessner
    August 18, 2015 at 5:08 am

I am newly retired, am a confident cook, live in the country not unlike Frasers Mountain in NC….although our home is in the mountains of Vermont. I would love to help you and can.

Mary Ann

2. FryKat
    August 18, 2015 at 5:10 am

I would love to be one of your testers, but couldn’t start until after Labor Day. Let me know if that works for you.

August 18, 2015 at 5:26 am

Follow the link in the post and fill out the application form so I have all of your details! As long as you can start during the week after Labor Day, you`re good. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mary Lee Taylor
      August 19, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I don’t have a website, would love to be a taster for you. I have been cooking Scotish dishes for some friends ever since Outlander aired on TV. Was thrilled when I found you’re website and plan to start cooking when the new show starts. We wear our Outlander Tee Shirts and have a great time. I’m not sure what is required to become a taster for you as I just stumbled on this. Hope to hear from you, my husband of 55 years pasted away a year ago, so I fill my time doing with as many interesting things as I can. I am planning on a trip to Scotland in two years for my daughter’s 50th birthday!

• Mary Lee Taylor
      September 29, 2015 at 7:04 am

Since it is the end of Sept. and I have some medical tests coming up this week and will be gone for a week in Oct. I suppose I must bow out of the running. I think it would be such an honor to be chosen for this great opportunity, I must be realistic about my being able to comply with such a demanding schedule. Am looking forward to buying your cookbook when finished and on the market. For the first episode of the new season I am making Smoked Haddock Pรขtรฉ and something from your list of recipes, haven’t decided yet which one yet they all sound good to me, but I’m not a picky eater. I think I would have managed well during the era of Outlander as far as food!

3. Marjorie Kloster
    August 18, 2015 at 5:42 am

Hello Teresa. What a fabulous idea! I would love to be considered an Outlander recipe tester. I am a retired laboratory professional that has always loved to cook and try new recipes, and would be ready, enthusiastically willing, and financially able to participate. What fun!

August 18, 2015 at 6:45 am

Please ensure you fill out the form here. You must have, or apply for, a Google sign-in to access the form. APPLICATIONS VIA COMMENTS BELOW, EMAIL OR FACEBOOK WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Thank you! theresa

4. Danielle Tinsley
    August 18, 2015 at 5:49 am

Theresa – this is lovely! I would be the worst tester in history as I’ve been banned from kitchen beyond boiling water or microwaving (God Bless my husband who can cook wonderfully). I get bored and lay my arm on the edge of the pot…while something is cooking ๐Ÿ™‚
    However, I do adore cookbooks because they’re like reading SciFi novels for me.
    Best of luck & best wishes on your endeavour!
    I look forward to buy my next SciFi book…I mean your cookbook.
    Danielle

5. Karin
    August 18, 2015 at 5:55 am

I’d _love_ to see your remodeled kitchen! ๐Ÿ˜‰

August 18, 2015 at 6:44 am

You’ll find some pics here, Karin.

6. Donna Rykken
    August 18, 2015 at 6:17 am

I have discovered new recipes and gathered the courage to try them through Outlander and would love to try them
    “The Stewart Clan” reporting for duty to the Celtic kitchen I to I have even made The haggis. Shepards pie and bannocks.

August 18, 2015 at 6:44 am

7. Barb neaves
    August 18, 2015 at 6:26 am

Would LOVE to participate – I am retired have the time and Scottish heritage.

August 18, 2015 at 6:43 am

8. Marjorie Kloster
    August 18, 2015 at 6:36 am

Hello Theresa. What a fabulous idea! I would love to be considered an Outlander recipe tester. I am a retired laboratory professional that has always loved to cook and try new recipes, and would be ready, enthusiastically willing, and financially able to participate. What fun!

August 18, 2015 at 6:43 am

9. Vickie legg
    August 18, 2015 at 6:37 am

I would love to be a tester.

August 18, 2015 at 6:43 am

10. Leslie
    August 18, 2015 at 6:38 am

I would love to be a tester for you. I am retired and have the time and my schedule micraculously frees up during your time line. Cheers!

August 18, 2015 at 6:43 am

11. Jo Griffiths
    August 18, 2015 at 6:55 am

When you need an international tester with metric I will put my hand up, good luck

12. jamie beshears
    August 18, 2015 at 7:13 am

Form filled out and on pins and needles! This Sassy-nach would love to fire up her kitchen for this cause!

13. Brandi Pursley
    August 18, 2015 at 7:19 am

As above, I also have been banned from the kitchen and am greeted with screams of horror when I announce I am going to “try something”! I do love to browse cookbooks, but its more of reading a fantasy novel!! Best of luck to you upon release of your book, and also to the brave and wonderful souls who will be your testers.

14. ALICE DYMENT
    August 18, 2015 at 7:21 am

I can put in the time, but where would I get for instance , pigeon and truffles. Big city folk probably are more able to find more of these ingredients than the rest of us.

August 18, 2015 at 7:41 am

That recipe is actually made with chicken thighs. As I said, I’m looking for all types of cooks with different access to equipment and ingredients.

15. Kelley McKay Fuemmeler
    August 18, 2015 at 7:23 am

Oh I wish, I wish, I wish I could…but my teaching load will be unusually heavy at that exact time (I’m helping to cover a colleague’s maternity leave), so I won’t even apply. I love your recipes, though, and know you’ll find some great cooks to help you out. I can’t wait for the cookbook! ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Tina Masiak
    August 18, 2015 at 7:35 am

Sign me up! The hubs and I are ready, willing and able.

August 18, 2015 at 7:42 am

17. Kris
    August 18, 2015 at 7:45 am

How many non-traditional ingredients are typically used? I ask based on the photo of the pigeon truffle rolls.

August 18, 2015 at 8:23 am

That recipe is made with chicken thighs. The cookbook is intended to be used by the average home cook, with average access to ingredients. If you go to the application form, you’ll see I ask about your access to harder-to-find ingredients.

18. Traraneh
    August 18, 2015 at 7:49 am

Oh how I wish I could!! Pta and the kids schedules prevent me BUT I cannot wait to get that book in my little hands! Any titles yet? I’m so excited for me and you!!

19. Chris Sheely
    August 18, 2015 at 8:20 am

I’d love to do this, but we have to be completely gluten free and low carb here due to my husband’s dietary restrictions. I can’t wait to see the cookbook though!!

20. Natasha Rider
    August 18, 2015 at 8:28 am

Theresa, I would LOVE to help! But before I apply, roughly, what is the anticipated expense range?

August 18, 2015 at 8:57 am

It depends on the recipes you get given, Natasha. I really can’t give a range, except to say OK recipes aren’t crazy with specialized ingredients…but food is getting more expensive everyday, especially meats and dairy.

21. Terri Rostad
    August 18, 2015 at 10:35 am

I would be interested. I enjoy cooking.

August 18, 2015 at 10:36 am

22. Cindy Peterson
    August 18, 2015 at 10:41 am

I would love to test for you. I am an accomplished cook, past caterer to the rich…some were famous in their own minds…and I am not afraid of a recipe.
    I live in the Pacific Northwest.
    I have a cooks kitchen and probably all the equipment necessary to do almost anything. I am a detail person and food and cooking are my passion. I started cooking when I was 12 and as self taught. My love is shown through my cooking.

August 18, 2015 at 11:07 am

23. Alice Watkins
    August 18, 2015 at 11:27 am

Not applying to be a tester here because I actually read your post. Hope the folks selected have fun and follow the instructions. A little Tuesday snarky bit from Atlanta. (Sorry, just couldn’t resist) I am looking forward to the results and sincerely want you to have fun with this.

August 18, 2015 at 12:12 pm

LOLOL, Alice!

• Kristine
      August 19, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Laughing along with you

24. Robin
    August 18, 2015 at 11:38 am

I am really bummed out- the dates for testing don’t work for me. Theresa you have inspired me to stretch my home cooking skills to no end. Your Dundee Cake was the clincher- you had me blanching almonds and candying lemon and orange peel like a pro! Your directions and attention to detail are always awesome. If I can do it then anyone with the desire can do it also. The very best of luck to all you lucky testers- I am so totally jealous! I need some Cherry Bounce to cheer me up.

25. Bethanne Enggren
    August 18, 2015 at 11:54 am

I am a retired Nurse whose favorite hobby has been cooking/baking. I did my first (and only !] cooking demo at the age of 8 at a fair! I am also half Scot and therefore Outlander is my heritage! I would be proud to work with you. I live just outside Boston so should be able to get ingredients.

Thanks for your consideration

August 18, 2015 at 12:12 pm

26. Jeri
    August 18, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I’m interested, when would this start, I’m taking a vacation 9/5 – 9/12?

August 18, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Please ensure you fill out the form here. All of the information is at the top of the form. You must have, or apply for, a Google sign-in to access the form. APPLICATIONS VIA COMMENTS BELOW, EMAIL OR FACEBOOK WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Thank you! theresa

27. mary
    August 18, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I will gladly participate! I live in North Carolina. Love food. Love to eat good food. Love to cook, too. and, I’m good at it.

August 18, 2015 at 1:03 pm

28. Leslie
    August 18, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Form filled out and submitted. Good luck to everyone.

29. Deb Williams
    August 18, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Hi Theresa, I am one so very disappointed Aussie cook and your requirements calling for cooks from US and Canada only really hurts my feelings ๐Ÿ™‚ . I am also a Coeliac and have an advanced repertoir of receipes adapted for gluten free cooking. I can cook in imperial measurements and metric and have gas cooktop and electric oven. I’d love the opportunity to be a ‘niche’ recipe tester if that’s possible.

30. Valerie
    August 18, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Aww Theresa, I would so love to be one of your recipe testers! Unfortunately, I will be on vacation in Scotland during your testing phase – so will have to console myself on missing out by eating Scottish foods. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all the recipes I’ve tried from your site and can’t wait for your cookbook to come out.

31. Sarah
    August 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I just sent this page to my mom, who would probably be up for this! But don’t worry: SHE’LL APPLY THROUGH THE APPLICATION FORM. ๐Ÿ™‚

32. Linda
    August 18, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Well, the dates leave me out…I’m committed for all of October! This is a great idea and I can’t wait to hear the results and comments, if there are any, while it is ongoing! Good luck everyone!

33. Katherine
    August 18, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Oh gosh, I think I screwed up my application! It won’t let me go back…

34. Debbie
    August 18, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I would love to be able to help – but alas I will still be in school (quarter system) and only get a week break. What a grand idea Theresa!! I bake better than cook but am so glad you are making the cookbook for an average home cook ๐Ÿ™‚
    Can’t wait to hear how everyone does – good luck to you all! Am eagerly waiting for the completed cookbook!

35. Jennifer
    August 18, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Would I be able to do one application for both my husband and I, so we could work as a team? He’s more experienced in the kitchen- but I’m a good sous chef for him! : ) I’m the bigger Outlander fan but he is working on that. If we can apply together, how should I do the application?

Thanks for this awesome opportunity.

August 18, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Fill out the application with one of your names. If you’re chosen, I’ll make sure to credit both of you in the book.

36. Mary Lesser
    August 18, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Would love to help test. The application is making its way to you!

37. Kris
    August 18, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Theresa, I have already filled out the form. However, I skipped the question about the greatest influence, intending to go back after I thought about it a bit more. Unfortunately I hit the dreaded “SEND” button and I am not allowed to go back to the form. So I thought”d take a shot at giving you that info via this post. My apologies! Honestly there isn’t one. There are many. Beginning with both of my parent and my Grandmother.
    Herter’s Bull Cook Book, Alice Waters, Paula Wolfert, and Deborah Madison are often my companions when I am looking for inspiration. I do love the internet and use it extensively when looking to travel to Midevil ways.

August 19, 2015 at 1:04 am

Got it! Thanks

38. Pam Reeser
    August 18, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I would love to be a tester! My husband Jim is a vegetarian as well as my brother and sister in law. I eat meat, but not huge ammounts. I am an avid home canner, and a good cook. My favorite activity is grocery shopping! My favorite meal to cook is Thanksgiving. I insist that the meal be completely home made. I bake each person a pie of their choice to take home along with leftovers!

39. Antoinette
    August 18, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I filled out the form as directed early this morning and did a bit of research today. I do have several specialty butchers in my area that have rabbit, quail, goat, and deer in season. Thankfully no eels though! I’m keeping my fingers crossed and promise to dress in authentic historic handmade-by-me garb when cooking over a fire outdoors if need be:)

40. Annika
    August 19, 2015 at 5:03 am

As a single mom and teacher there is absolutely no chance I’d be able to help out, but I’ll be sure to buy a copy of the book when it’s here. Good luck!

August 19, 2015 at 11:05 am

Thank you, Annika! Good luck with the first few weeks of school. Theresa

41. Kristine
    August 19, 2015 at 12:43 pm

I just want to say, I would LOVE to test your recipes, but I just could not commit the time needed!! I’m glad you’ve received such a large response!! I will definitely be in line for a signed copy when the book comes out – it will sit nicely beside my Outlander Kitchen Binder (the tartan one!!).

42. Mary Lee Taylor
    August 19, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I forgot to check Box below

43. Mary Lee Taylor
    August 19, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Oh darn I just read your time frame and I will be camping the sixth week of your event I will have a cabin with an oven but the store would be a Walmart. There would also be a camp fire and a iron pot to cook in. My son in law makes some mighty good food in his dutch oven while camping. I would be willing to tackle this if the food items could be found that week. I know there would be plenty of folks that would love trying some new recipes!

44. Gabi Shopp
    August 19, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I would love to help as a tester….I have worked as an interpreter at a large mid-western open air museum and have studied some of the 18th century recipes…. I also am a member of the Maryland Loyalists a re-enactment unit that strives to make things look correct in our kitchens without being unrealistic when buying groceries.

45. Tara
    August 19, 2015 at 8:38 pm

What is that pictured at the top of this page? It looks like an ice cream or custard recipe with whipped cream, banana and chocolate on top but I don’t remember seeing a recipe like that on your site. Is this recipe on your site yet? If so which one is it?

August 20, 2015 at 8:57 am

No, this is a recipe coming in the cookbook.

46. Carol-Ann Drummond
    August 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I would love to test but I will be out of the country from Sept 7 – 14th.
    Have fun with your testers. I would love a cookbook when its out.
    Slainte.
    Carol-Ann

47. Patty
    August 24, 2015 at 9:04 pm

While being a tester would be great, I would not be able to do the job justice as I have several allergies and other dietary restrictions–gluten-free and gout–that keep me guessing some days as it is. However, it will be great to check out the recipes as they come along on your blog and possibly the cookbook when it comes out. I do cook, and now do a lot of ‘conversion’ cooking–from regular to GF, etc., but it’s not always easy, or as tasty, or possible at all for me. Thanks for the opportunity.

48. Linn
    August 25, 2015 at 10:32 am

Hello, I was wondering which recipe is for the first picture in this post? ๐Ÿ™‚ and also for the second one. They look absoloutely delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

August 25, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Those are pictures from the recipes I’m developing for the cookbook, Linn. The recipes aren’t available yet. Theresa

• Linn
      August 31, 2015 at 2:22 am

Alright, they look delicious. So I will look forward to your cookbook a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

49. judy
    August 25, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Dang nabbit. What I get for not logging on for more than a week! Your deadline for application was yesterday. SIGH!! I was so looking forward to giving it a shot. –and practicing on my daughter’s family for the two recipes that I would have to test during our week in Seattle with them. But guess I’ll just try one or more from the blog. I’m sure the 10 testers you choose will have a wonderful and challenging time of it! We all need something to be excited about while waiting until ‘sometime in 2016’ for Season Two. More grins.

50. Glenn Crawford
    August 26, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Bummer the form is closed
    I’m a retired executive chef turned farmer. I ran a medieval catering company also. I specialized in 14th century British Isles cooking.
    We raise on the farm tons of veggies, plus beef (Scottish highlanders), lamb (Tunis), pork (Gloucestershire Old Spot), quail, rabbit, chicken, duck, turkey.

I look foward to see what your winners do. What a great project.
    Good luck too all.

Glenn Crawford (Clan Crawford) ๐Ÿ™‚

51. Joan Sanford
    August 27, 2015 at 12:02 pm

This is so exciting and can’t wait for your cookbook!! How will it be available for purchase? I’ve enjoyed quite a few of the recipes over the past year. My mouth is watering at the thought of new recipes.

52. Hung Higuchi
    August 31, 2015 at 4:21 am

If you were stranded on a deserted island with only one of the Outlander series books, which one would you want, and why?

53. Terri Cauto
    September 28, 2015 at 9:23 am

Is this the cookbook where Outlander fans, Drivers and cast & crew submitted recipes? I submitted a recipe for a cookbook and I want to purchase that book as some of the recipes in it sounded wonderful.

September 28, 2015 at 9:40 am

No. This is the official Outlander Kitchen cookbook.

54. Carol-Ann Drummond
    September 29, 2015 at 8:50 am

Would love to join in if there are some dropping out.
    Slainte.
    C-A

September 29, 2015 at 11:44 am

Thank you Carol-Ann! Actually, the chosen group has been fantastic. Things are going very well with about 3 weeks to go.

• Carol-Ann Drummond