The Outlander Kitchen Recipe Testers

The Outlander Kitchen Recipe Testers

The Outlander Kitchen Cookbook

“I volunteer as Tribute!”

“I want to be an OK recipe tester!” was a call I heard 432 times last week.

I am overwhelmed by everyone’s generosity and enthusiasm — seriously — I did not expect a response like this.

As you can imagine, sorting through all of those applications took quite some time, even with a big bunch assistance from Google Spreadsheets to sort, stack and collate the submissions every which way. I finally sent the emails out this morning – only a day later than I had planned – which is a bit of a miracle given the volume of amazing profiles and personal kitchen stories I was privileged to read and linger over this week.

I know I will leave some people very disappointed for not having been chosen. You threw your all into those applications, and I read every one. I am touched to my core by your passion, loyalty, support and plain old love for Outlander Kitchen. I can feel you gathered around our virtual hearth, even now as I sit in my office, alone, staring out at the trees as my fingers tap away, talking to you.

I wish I could use everybody, but recipe testing is a very large task that I have to keep somewhat manageable. I have chosen ten fans to test the new recipes for the cookbook, as well as a few from the blog that I changed significantly for the book, so they’ll need testing too.

Outlander Kitchen recipe tester pastry

If you’re feeling down that you didn’t get chosen, please know this:

It wasn’t personal. I received applications from long-time friends and brand-new fans, and I had to delete the vast majority of them all. Most of the deletions were somewhat random from my perspective, especially at the beginning of the process. It’s very hard to cull a list of 400+ down to 10…sure, I had a system…but it still seemed unfair to be deleting all these people I had never even met!

(Unless you corrected my grammar on your application…then the deletion was easy. I am defender of English at the best of times, but I will tell you that if you want to be considered for something, don’t correct the final arbiter’s typos — an online-life strategy I thought I’d pass along, in this age of grammar hyper correctness).

Cake

The list that remains is a diverse group of cooks from all over North America, with different skill levels, equipment inventories and variable access to ingredients. I chose a vegetarian, a gluten-free tester with a gluten-eating family, a trained chef or two, as well as a beginner. A few of the testers have been around OK for a long time, commenting regularly for years, unknowingly supporting me with kind words when I needed them most.

Others are new to the OK hearth, but something about their application caught my eye, or they filled a space in the demographic profile I was looking for. Someone is on the list because their response, while thorough, was very to the point – almost scientific – and I found their brevity after hours of combing over applications refreshing at the time.

Outlander kitchen recipe testers

I had an amazing list to choose from. Thank you all so very much. I’m incredibly pleased with the group I’ve chosen, and excited to get things underway! Here they are, in no particular order. If one of these names looks like you, check your Inbox; you’ve got mail.

1. Lee Ann M. – Louisiana
  2. Darcy G. – Virginia
  3. Helen B. – Arkansas
  4. Jan A. – Hawaii
  5. Anna L. – North Carolina
  6. Rhiannon M. – Ontario
  7. Jennifer B. – British Columbia
  8. Becky I. – Michigan
  9. Jason D. & Jen H. – Illinois
  10. Bri B. – Tennessee

1. Diane
    August 27, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Very cool to have so many helpers. I know you’re done with this process but if you want or need an ear on gluten free versions or suggestions please feel free to bend mine. I’m no longer blogging, writing original recipes or testing for other gf friends, but as a past chef and gluten free coach, I know a few tricks. I do hope you will include gf options in your recipes. There are tons of us who are both Outlander fans and have to live gluten free. Cheers!

2. Penny Reid
    August 27, 2015 at 12:05 pm

This is exciting. I would have loved to be a tester, but didn’t even apply, as I’m going to be on vacation for a large part of the testing time frame. But it sounds like so much fun!

I know it’s hard, hard work, too — but the results will be so worth it.

Thanks for doing this!

3. Tracy
    August 27, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Congratulations! Bummed I wasn’t picked… but will be anxiously awaiting the cookbook. Have fun!

4. Angie S
    August 27, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Congratulations to all who were chosen! Enjoy!

5. Sandie Russo
    August 27, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Congrats to all the testers!! 🙂 Happy cooking!

6. ms.yoshimi
    August 27, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Hi Theresa, I didn’t realize how much I wanted to be chosen to be one of the testers. I’m grateful for the opportunity to be part of the process and hope I wasn’t one to edit you! ms.yoshimi

7. Karen Whitelock
    August 27, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Your reasons for choosing the ten were just great. Reminded me that once I got a job, a very good job, because I was the only candidate able to answer the question “who is the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta”. Answer the questions folks, you just never know!

8. Kristin
    August 27, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Well done you! I applied but knew you would be swamped with excellent applications. Good tip about the grammar. I look forward to using more of your recipes in the future. Best of luck on this new phase of your exciting project!

9. Terri Rostad
    August 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Congratulations to those chosen. Will look forward to getting the cookbook. Enjoy.

10. Mary Morgan
    August 27, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Congratulations to those chosen! All the best and have fun! 🙂

11. Jorie Allen
    August 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Have fun all and I can’t wait for the cookbook so I can do my own tasting!

12. Marjorie
    August 27, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I can’t even imagine the work it took to cull the choices. It would have been exciting to have made the pick but I am glad you had an excellent response. I cannot wait for the book to hit the press and be available for us to get our hands on (hopefully an autographed copy, too).
    Congratulations and happy cooking to the chosen!!

13. Anna Lapping
    August 27, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Holy Crap! I made it! I have goose bumps. Thanks!

• Anna Lapping
      August 27, 2015 at 2:39 pm

My family is already lining up to be tasters! This will be fun!

14. Lynn Williams
    August 27, 2015 at 1:00 pm

That is so awesome,a great response.Cant wait to see the results.Prayers

15. Lynn Eyermann
    August 27, 2015 at 1:05 pm

I too did not apply as I will be out of the country smack-dab in the middle of your timeline Theresa! I am excited for those who are “The Chosen Few” as well as eagerly awaiting this fabulous cookbook!! Cheers!

16. Lois Scozzari
    August 27, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Congratulations to the chosen! Cannot wait for the COOK BOOK! I love the website – photos – all of it.
    I will still be making the recipes for family and friends.

17. Becky Inbody
    August 27, 2015 at 2:16 pm

So excited to be a tester. I feel like I won the lottery!

• Anna Lapping
      August 27, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Me too, Becky! Nice to meet you and we’re going to have an interesting Autumn!

• Jan Anderson
      August 27, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Me too Becky and Anna! Great to make your acquaintance. 🙂

• Jason
      August 28, 2015 at 3:46 am

We can’t wait to get started! Our first Anniversary is Sept 8th, so we’re going to spend it testing a recipe before I have to leave town for work for a few days.

18. Amy Pritchett
    August 27, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for the gracious post – sounds like a hard job, but your new cookbook will be helped by having motivated testers. How great is that!?! I know we’ll all be eager to see the results.

19. Molly
    August 27, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Wow, I’m amazed you got that done so quickly….that was a lot of applications to go through. Looking forward to whatever bits of news we get during the process. Cook well, ladies and cook quickly! We out here want to get our hands on that cookbook. 🙂

20. Deb Williams
    August 27, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Well I may have missed out on being a gluten free OK Tester. But I am happy to volunteer to be a GF OK Taster. Anyone else want to be a taster the queue starts behind me.

21. Violet
    August 27, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I’m disappointed I was not chosen. If you need an alternate, I’m available! I’m in Florida/California.

22. Pat Varner
    August 27, 2015 at 2:55 pm

I’m crushed I didn’t get selected but it won’t stop me making those recipe and awaiting for the publication of the book. I know it was just a shot in the dark. Congrats to all who have been selected. Many of us non selectees are soooooo jealous. Well done.

23. Joanne
    August 27, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I am green with envy! Have fun testing the recipes and enjoy the experience! I look forward to seeing the final results in print.

24. Pagan
    August 27, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I understand what a huge task you had, but, may I ask why you passed over the entirety of the western US?

25. Bri
    August 27, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I am so incredibly excited and I can’t wait to get started!! *happy dance*

26. Peggy Kelly
    August 27, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Thanks so much for even opening the tester application process at all. Wow! What a response. I’m so looking forward to the final results.

27. Heidi Oracion
    August 27, 2015 at 4:25 pm

This will be great when your cookbook is complete. Hope everyone has fun enjoyable time with it👍🏻😊

28. Kerri Basten
    August 27, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Theresa, I have enjoyed your posts since before the series came out & have tried many of your recipes (with fabulous results, according to my grateful family). I am one of those whose upcoming travel & work schedule didn’t permit applying but it’s wonderful that you offered the opportunity. All you lucky applicants have fun & I SO look forward to the end result!

29. Jan Anderson
    August 27, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Beyond excited!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the opportunity and privilege of being part of the process. I squeeeeeed when I saw my name 🙂 !! Then I had to quickly check my email to make sure it was really me haha. So looking forward to the fun…as are my hubby & friends. Mahalo plenty Theresa! Let the cooking commence!

30. ashley
    August 27, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Have fun everyone! What a way to start September and I’m looking forward to reading the updates!

31. Anne E
    August 27, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Congratulations to all the OK testers! cat wait until the book comes out; will be one of the first in line to order it.

32. Mindy Reed
    August 28, 2015 at 5:47 am

As soon as you mentioned someone commenting regularly for years I thought of Helen B.!! Congrats to you all!

33. Jennifer Privee
    August 28, 2015 at 6:20 am

Can’t wait to see the finished product! I’ll be able to be a tester of all the recipes!! Good luck! I’m very much looking forward to getting the cookbook! (One tiny part of me is relieved I wasn’t chosen…I have a very BAD habit of using recipes as guidelines and I don’t often measure anything! You must have had a suspicion when seeing my entry!!! I did promise myself I would follow the rules, however!) Good choices! Happiness to all!

34. Pat Palmer
    August 28, 2015 at 9:07 am

Best of luck. I thank you for saying you read all our applications! I look so forward to buying a copy of this book!

35. Jeanne Earley
    August 28, 2015 at 9:25 am

Congratulations to all of the testers and of course Theresa, I’m sure the book will be a smashing success! Slainte Mhath!

36. JCV
    August 30, 2015 at 12:09 am

This will be fun to hear the results of your testing group and delighted you reached out to your followers to help you along . It’s a bold and novel idea and like the premise.
    Will be looking forward to picking up a copy of your cook book once it hits the shelves.
    Best of luck!
    Cheers…
    JAMIE

37. DLFrazer
    September 19, 2015 at 9:40 am

Cheers to the winners! Can’t wait for the cookbook. Enjoying my Cherry Bounce.

38. Mary Lee Taylor
    September 29, 2015 at 7:12 am

Congrats to all the chosen testers! How exciting for each of you! Looking forward to the amazing cookbook you will all be a part of!

39. Dolly
    November 23, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Well good grief!! How did I just discover your site?!?!? I have been compiling a list of recipes for my season 2 premiere party and stumbled across your blog. I’m seriously bummed that I could not apply for this honor, but I will certainly preorder your book. My Scottish roots will thank ye!

November 24, 2015 at 5:07 am

Welcome, Dolly!

40. JJ
    January 6, 2016 at 3:39 am

I recently discovered your site and did my own personal testing of the potato fritters. Turned out wonderfully–devoured by 20-something children (age, not number) and 1 cat. It may be too late, but are any of the testers at high altitude? Professionally I’ve dealt with a number of problems with products in Denver, Mexico City, etc.

January 6, 2016 at 5:18 am

Welcome, JJ! The testing is complete, but I thank you for your offer.