Chewy Molasses Cookies from A Breath of Snow and Ashes from the Outlander series

Claire's Chewy Molasses Cookies

“Yes, that’s what I’m afraid of,” I said, relinquishing it with some reluctance. “Just a taste, now— leave some for your daddy and grandda.”

He nodded, wordless, and licked the spoon with a long, slow swipe of the tongue, closing his eyes in ecstasy.

I found another spoon and set about dropping the cookies onto the tin sheets I used for baking. We ended in a dead heat, the sheets full and the bowl quite empty, just as footsteps came down the hallway toward the door. Recognizing Brianna’s tread, I snatched the empty spoon from Jemmy and rubbed a quick towel across his smudgy mouth.

Bree stopped in the doorway, her smile turning to a look of suspicion.

“What are you guys doing?”

“Making molasses cookies,” I said, lifting the sheets in evidence, before sliding them into the brick oven set in the wall of the fireplace. “Jemmy’s been helping me.”

One neat red brow arched upward. She glanced from me to Jemmy, who was wearing a look of sublimely unnatural innocence. I gathered my own expression was no more convincing.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes, chapter 71, "Lice"

image

I will admit I'd never pictured Claire as an indulgent grandmother until this scene, but then again, it would be hard not to spoil a ginger-headed Jemmy.

We'd most likely be guilty of indulgence if we were in her shoes.

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

07 Dec 2015 - 7:42pm

lori

When is the cook book coming out? i cant wait!

Theresa

It is currently available for pre order on Amazon, and will be released June 24, 2016.

07 Dec 2015 - 7:43pm

Adina Conroy

Thanks Theresa for such great recipes. This year my daughter and I made our entire Thanksgiving dinner an Outlander event using only recipes from your blog. It was fantastic. Mr. Willoughby's Coral Knob is our new favorite appetizer.

08 Dec 2015 - 2:20am

Norma Stark

Perfect timing! I've got all the ingredients on hand. I just wonder if any of the finished product will make it into the goodie baskets????

08 Dec 2015 - 2:32am

Phyllis Newmeyer

Is this cookie recipe in the new book?

08 Dec 2015 - 3:26am

Anna Lapping

A few NC Outlander fans are having lunch at The Marshall Free House this coming Saturday....I think these would make nice little gifts for everyone in some cute tins if i can find some tartan ones.

08 Dec 2015 - 10:40am

Dana

Making these for the cookie exchange at work! They sound wonderful!

08 Dec 2015 - 1:40pm

Beth

I was just looking for a cookie to make today! My kids reminded me that it's Tuesday and cookies have not been made. :) These cookies look like the right choice!!

07 Dec 2015 - 7:51pm

Sher Scott

Sounds wonderful, and i think I will use black treacle syrup instead of molasses.

07 Dec 2015 - 8:16pm

Ann

Could these cookies be rolled and cut then sprinkled with regular sugar?

Theresa

Ann, the dough is a bit sticky for rolling and cutting. You can certainly try, but you'll have to dust the counter liberally with flour.

07 Dec 2015 - 8:20pm

Anna Lapping

I love molasses, and cardamom...going to have to make these very soon!

07 Dec 2015 - 8:25pm

DeLinda

The printable version of the recipe doesn't come up for me. Any suggestions?

07 Dec 2015 - 8:30pm

Judy

Hm, I don't think I've ever tasted cookies with black pepper in them. These are very similar to my favorite holiday cookie which we call "sugar & spice" they have molasses, ginger, and several over spices. We "roll" them in powdered sugar warm from the oven. They are dark and crinkly just like in your pictures. Now I'll have to bake some this week! I'll maybe try your recipe & let you know about the reaction to black pepper in cookies. !

07 Dec 2015 - 8:31pm

DeLinda

I sent the incorrect email address in my last post. I still cannot access the printable version of the recipe for the molasses cookies.

Theresa

The link was broken...my fault, DeLinda. It works now.

07 Dec 2015 - 8:33pm

Andrea Finch

Thank you so much! These will be a perfect gift for my Outlander viewing party girls

07 Dec 2015 - 8:35pm

Molly

Thank you for this Christmas present, Theresa! These go right to the top of my baking list and yes, I will be adding the pepper! I make my gingerbread houses from the Martha recipe and ever since trying it her way (with the pepper) gingerbread without it seems bland. Merry Christmas!

07 Dec 2015 - 8:55pm

Carol Mackey

Look so yummy!! My recipe calls for ginger rather than black pepper and the cookies are rolled in coarse sanding (or raw) sugar before baking, but otherwise the same. I'll have to give this one a try. How could any self-respecting, cookie-baking grannie resist a cutie of a grandchild when it comes to the proverbial "taste"? Tradition!!! lol!! =D

07 Dec 2015 - 9:52pm

Vicki Carlson

Planning to have an Outlander Premiere Party. Will your cookbook be out by then?

07 Dec 2015 - 9:52pm

Teri

oops, editing error - 3rd and 4th paragraphs... - 3rd is incomplete, 4th is 3rd again but complete. Other than that? I'm going to bake up some of the molasses crinkles that I mixed up yesterday, thanks for the reminder! YUMMMMMY. Mine are my Grannie's recipe, as that is what I had.... I should do a bakeoff!!! ;-)

08 Dec 2015 - 9:47am

LoneRanger

Am sure I would like to eat a lot of those cookies, but what most delicious is your reference to that chapter, I read time ago, and you are sort of stimulating me to read the whole book again. Thanks Theresa, long live Giana Gabaldon.

08 Dec 2015 - 7:48pm

Donna

Seeing this brings back wonderful memories of my Mom. My Mom being Canadian French made molasses cookies all the time. She would sometimes add raisins but they were also frosted and they were my favorite. Looking forward to your cookbook the cover is gorgeous.

08 Dec 2015 - 8:17pm

Arvina Lumley

Thanks for the tasty treat & share. Great illustrations! Delighted! Yummy!

09 Dec 2015 - 1:35am

Lisa t

Pre-ordered this today. Can't wait. These chewey molasses type cookies are my all time favourite. Can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.

09 Dec 2015 - 3:08pm

Pat

I have been in the mood to bake but haven't quite figured out what it was I wanted to make. I think I just found it! Can't wait to make these!

10 Dec 2015 - 8:54pm

Zelda Benjamin

I made the cookies and they are delicious. No one in the 1700's would have thought about the calories and neither will I. Looking forward to the cookbook.

11 Dec 2015 - 4:17am

25 Days of #O…

and creative Outlander recipes, you can always find a sampling at Outlander Kitchen, like these molasses cookies Claire bakes in Diana Gabaldons A Breath of Snow and

11 Dec 2015 - 5:36pm

#Outlander, C…

a lovely meal courtesy of Mrs. Bugg (God rest her soul), and perhaps Claire would make some of her molasses cookies. And I am quite sure there was a wee dram to be had. Perhaps a song or two as well. Likely no

13 Dec 2015 - 3:39pm

Holiday Sweeti…

Claires Chewy Molasses Cookies from the Outlander book series provided by The Outlander Kitchen

13 Dec 2015 - 6:04pm

Melanie T

Made these on this frosty Sunday morning and made my house smell wonderful. I didn't have cloves so I used Allspice, but tasted lovely! These will be perfect for my parents as they love Spice cookies!

15 Dec 2015 - 10:31pm

Paula

I made them and they were delicious but they did not rise at all. Any idea what I did wrong?

Theresa

Paula, my first question with non-rising baked goods is always any idea how old your baking powder is?

Paula

Well, no idea; but you might have just solved the problem - I used baking soda instead of baking powder. I need to get more butter so I'll get some fresh baking powder. Thank you so much for replying.

Paula

One question: you said baking powder. The recipe calls for baking soda. Which should I use - both of which can are really old and could be the problem.

Theresa

My error! Sorry! I should have said baking soda. Trying to do too many things at once, as usual. Lol

16 Dec 2015 - 1:09am

Paula

Thank you!!!! I figured that :-) I bought fresh so I'll try again.

16 Dec 2015 - 2:53pm

Paula

Second batch turned out perfectly once I used fresh baking soda. I could tell immediately while mixing the batter the difference. Thanks for the FABULOUS recipe and for helping a novice baker :-) Hope you have a very Blessed Christmas.

17 Dec 2015 - 6:55pm

Meghan McGarry

I made a batch of these last weekend and everyone loved them! Going to make a bunch more & include them with my holiday care packages!

18 Dec 2015 - 9:01am

LoneRanger

Great ingredient list Theresa, but in God's name, what are things like "1 teaspoons baking soda; teaspoon ground cardamom; cup light or fancy(??) molasse..." and where can I find this fancy stuff..!!Still, you are great Theresa, i love you...!!!LR

Anna Lapping

That's pretty funny, LR. I'll admit, the cardamom is iffy if you've never done much baking, baking soda is bicarbonate of soda and is readily available in any grocery store. Light molasses is regular molasses, I presume to differentiate it from Sorghum, but just buy what's available in your grocery store. If the cardamom is unavailable you could make them without, I'm sure the rest of the spices would still make a delicious cookie.

Add new comment

You might also be interested in