Lemon-Poppy Seed Cupcakes with Strawberry Jam Buttercream from The Scottish Prisoner

I CALLED HIM a murderer.

That was the thought in his mind when he woke an hour later. I called him a murderer, he called me a sodomite...and yet it's Fraser he called out. Why?

Because Fraser accused him, point-blank and publicly, or treason. He had to challenge that; he couldn't let the statement stand. An accusation of murder might be mere insult, but not an accusation of treason. And particularly not if there was any truth in it.

Of course. He'd known that, really. What he didn't know was what had possessed Fraser to make the accusation now, and in such a public manner.

He got up, used the pot, then splashed water from the ewer over his face and, tilting the pitcher, drank most of the rest. It was nearly evening; his room was growing dark, and he could smell the luscious scents of tea preparing downstairs; fried sardines, fresh buttered crumpets, lemon sponge, cucumber sandwiches, sliced ham. He swallowed, suddenly ravenous.

He can't have done it for me. The thought carried some regret; he wished it were true. But he was a realist enough to know that Fraser wouldn't have gone to such lengths merely to distract attention from Twelvetree's accusation of sodomy, no matter what he personally thought of Grey at the moment - and Grey didn't even know that.

The Scottish Prisoner, chapter 30, "Particular Friends"

Lemon poppyseed cupcakes

The love that lies between James Fraser and John Grey may not be reciprocated romantic love, but it is filled with the respect, loyalty and affection of a decades-old friendship between two men who, despite their different political and sexual orientations, would lay down their lives for each other.

A love worthy of a Valentine's celebration in any century.

Outlander Kitchen Cookbook

These cupcakes combine a traditional English sponge (in cupcake form) with a sweet, fruity buttercream made from Fraser Strawberry Jam, one of 50+ new recipes coming in the Outlander Kitchen cookbook by yours truly, and published by Delacorte Press of the Random House Group.

See the jam in the tarts on the cover?!

Although currently available for pre-order online, the cookbook's release date is in June, so use another jam for now if you want to make a batch of these sweet cakes in time for Valentine's Day.

Lemon poppyseed cupcakes With strawberry jam buttercream

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

09 Feb 2016 - 7:00pm

Merry

Those look so delicious! I'm going to have to try them out. And, I love the cover of the new book. I have to put it in my 'wish list'. Perhaps, buy myself a summer gift? :)

09 Feb 2016 - 7:12pm

Jan Moutz

Lemon anything is always my favorite! Looking forward to the cookbook!

09 Feb 2016 - 7:15pm

Aaron

For starters that picture is beautiful!! The cover and the cupcakes!! These will make a perfect Valentine gift for my sweetie!!

Theresa

I hope you both have a love-filled day. <3

09 Feb 2016 - 7:21pm

Willow

You are killing my diet! But what a way to go!

Theresa

I made this batch then quickly ran around, dropping them off to friends. I got away with only eating two, but it was close...

09 Feb 2016 - 8:07pm

Kim B

The cookbook cover looks so beautiful! I am simply bursting with impatience to get my hands on this beauty!

09 Feb 2016 - 8:12pm

Carol Mackey

Just in time for the Valentine's Day Dance here at the Home! The notice said: "Bring your Sweetie--or a sweet!" Since most of us gals are out of luck in the "Sweetie" department--by about 12 to 1 (not counting the married couples, who will bring both)--we'll have lots of sweet treats. Love lemon and poppy seed anything, and the strawberries make these really special! Happy Valentine's Day, Theresa, and thank you. <3 <3 <3

09 Feb 2016 - 8:18pm

Amy

These look lovely! What size tip did you use to make the pretty topping design?

Theresa

I'm pretty sure it was a 6, Amy. (Bad chef for not marking it down!)

09 Feb 2016 - 9:04pm

Donna R.

MMMMmmmmmm! I am definitely going to make these for Valentine's Day. My heart breaks all through The Scottish Prisoner for both Lord John and Jamie every time I read it. Great excerpt. Thanks!

Theresa

I thought of you while flipping through the pages, Donna! I know you love LJ. :)

09 Feb 2016 - 9:30pm

Bullrem

Yummy yummy.. I will make these Friday for my Mah Jong group. They will be so envious of my new recipe... Thanks again, Theresa for all you do for us. Helen in Ark.

Theresa

My pleasure, Helen! I've got complaints about my job.

09 Feb 2016 - 9:42pm

Linn

This looks delicious! I am really excited for your cookbook! :)

09 Feb 2016 - 10:15pm

Lynn

I read the recipe 3 times and did not see where to add the clabbered milk. I assume you add it when you add the dry ingredients.

Theresa

oops! Thank you Lynn, I'll fix it right now. Beat it in after you've beaten in the eggs.

10 Feb 2016 - 1:42am

Joanne Platt

I LOVE THE COVER ON THE NEW COOKBOOK. SO GLAD THAT I PRE-ORDERED IT.

10 Feb 2016 - 1:56am

Bri

I have been craving a lemon and strawberry combo, so this is perfect timing! They look beautiful, I'll be making them this weekend for sure! I'm guessing this will be another OK holiday staple for us :)

10 Feb 2016 - 4:41am

Anna Lapping

Lemon and poppy seeds...a marriage made in heaven. My younger daughter had her wedding cake made of that (with a layer of carrot cake for me!). I will be making these for Valentine's day! Thank you, Theresa, for another fab recipe!

10 Feb 2016 - 9:07pm

ms.yoshimi

Yum ... just picked lemons from my tree as well as pre ordered your cookbook -- well done!

12 Feb 2016 - 3:33pm

Melissa Wallick

This was my first ever attempt at making muffins. And they came out awesome! Thanks for your recipes. I have the cookbook on order and I can't wait to try more! I just got to this part in the Scottish Prisoner too. Must have been fate. :) Thanks again!

13 Feb 2016 - 6:54pm

Alley

My daughter's birthday was yesterday, but we're celebrating tomorrow. I'm going to whip up a batch for her. Thanks! Love all your recipes. My hisband and I have tried a lot of them. Looking forward to the cookbook.

15 Feb 2016 - 2:56pm

The Suzzzz

I'm hosting a chicken wing cook off Saturday night and I've been looking for a dessert to counterbalance all the fried and heavy bar food that competitors are bringing. This definitely fit the bill, and they seem like a little ray of early spring sunshine to cut through the winter doldrums here. I can't wait to make them!

19 Feb 2016 - 1:28am

Katherine

These were fantastic! I used strawberry rhubarb jam and the icing was pink enough for me. One of the most tender moist cupcake recipes I have ever made.

27 Mar 2016 - 5:38am

Cheryl

Just made a batch for Easter. They looked so pretty in the picture I just had to try them. I hope they taste as good as they smelled while they were baking. I know the frosting is great because I basically licked the bowl! Thank you for another great recipe (my son laments the fact that he rarely sees biscuits anymore now that I have your bannock recipe)! Can't wait for the cookbook (pre-ordered because I couldn't wait)!

04 Apr 2016 - 8:49pm

Fergus's Iced…

I used the a half recipe of the batter from these Lemon-Poppy Seed Cupcakes, but omitted the poppy seeds.

Add new comment