Tattie Scones Potato Scone from Outlander Kitchen

(Tattie) Potato Scones - Outlander on Starz S2E9

Hey there! I'm back after a 2 week stint as a truant blogger, I'm happy to report I've got a recipe for the Fraser's return to Scotland. I'm a bit late, as Rabbie dug the first potato out of the kail yard last weekend, but you won't hold that against me, will ye?

I hope not, especially since I've got warm potato, aka tattie, scones for you to munch on during episode 209, coming up this week.

potato scones

Photo Courtesy of Starz

Although not quite as easy as Fergus's suggestion to boil them and serve them with salt, tattie scones are a simple recipe that are traditionally made from leftover potatoes, ("usually just after the midday meal, when still warm," according to F. Marian McNeill in The Scots Kitchen).

Potato scones are not specifically mentioned in Outlander or any of the subsequent books, but they are a Scottish staple, (and an Irish one before that), that came about when the Scots adopted potatoes into their gardens in the mid and late 18th Century.

Tattie Scone

They are delicious at breakfast, spread with extra butter and served with eggs, bacon and beans. Or spread them with cream cheese, dill, and a few slices of lox or smoked salmon for a new-world brunch steeped in Scottish tradition.

And although potato scones are more of a flat bread than their flaky cousins usually served at tea, they are just as delicious with butter and jam, and also make a lovely accompaniment to a steaming bowl of soup on a cold day.

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

07 Jun 2016 - 3:27am

Lin

My mother made these for me when I was young from memory watching her mother from Kilmarnock make them (my grandmother). They are so good, and usually I don't use leftover mashed potatoes, but start from scratch. We called them scones, of course, but had a friend whose heritage was Norwegian, and the called them potatoe latkes - although theirs were much thiner!

31 May 2016 - 1:21pm

Anna Lapping

My mother made these on meatless Fridays with some cheese melted on top, usually served with a meatless minestrone, or fresh tomato soup. Very good, and we didn't miss the meat at all.

31 May 2016 - 2:22pm

cathy

this sounds yummy. i have pre ordered your cook book on amazon. grew up with lots of potatoes and this recipe is different. like the lox with this one. thanks. cathy scanlon fiore.

31 May 2016 - 2:33pm

Julie

Friends and I enjoyed your recipe for Bangers and Mash to welcome the first potatoes to Lallybroch, but we'll definitely give these a try too!

31 May 2016 - 2:40pm

Stephanie Lewis

Could you peel them before boiling? I have a great potato peel crisp recipe that I can make with them (waste not want not). :-)

Theresa

You can do whatever you want. :) I sometimes use the cooked skins for potato skins after I've scooped out the flesh.

31 May 2016 - 7:35pm

Tanya

I made your bangers and mash for episode 208 and I think the leftover "mash" would do just fine here. :-)

31 May 2016 - 7:39pm

Christine Rogers

These work just fine with Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten free flour in the same amount called for in the recipe ?

31 May 2016 - 7:59pm

Jan Anderson

Mmmmm, OK I'm shooting for gluten free. Going to try my staple oat flour and see what happens! I'll test it out early before the viewing party on Saturday just in case I need to modify anything. I love that you always mention the tie in with the show . I do play a little make believe when I'm cooking the recipes, so it helps! I can see wee Rabbie running up to Mistress Claire now with an armload of tatties! ? x.

31 May 2016 - 8:17pm

Maryann Calvert.

My mother used to make these with leftover mashed potatoes, often with a fried egg for lunch. Her mother's family history is Irish. As a matter of fact, my mom told stories of how Grandma would read the cards for people, to earn some money during the Depression

31 May 2016 - 11:08pm

Diane

Yum. I am definitely trying these. I'll let you know how it works out. :)

31 May 2016 - 11:09pm

Liz

My mum always "fried" them dry the first time - no fat in the pan. Those were the ones we ate with butter and jam and maybe cheese lol. We could eat them forever! If there were any left that made it to the fridge, they were then fried up again in fat as a side with bacon and eggs. Both ways are delicious!

Liz

Oops! Forgot to mention, I do love your recipes. What a great idea to go along with the series.

01 Jun 2016 - 1:48am

Eva

I have forgotten about this old recipe, will be making it, as it is winter here in (Tasmania). Thank you for the reminder. Love the recipes and will buy the book when it is available. <3

01 Jun 2016 - 1:53am

Anne E

Theresa, The photos remind me of lefse, the Norwegian potato delicacy. Ingredients seem similar, but the potatoes are riced, not mashed. I love lefse (even though I'm not a Norwegian!!) I'll be making these soon, from YOUR recipe. Thank you.

01 Jun 2016 - 5:13am

TJ Russell-Zapata

Sounds alot like potato pancakes.

01 Jun 2016 - 5:54am

Bea

I always called them potato pancakes..lol..never used flour in them but all the rest and they are do delicious!!!

Add new comment

You might also be interested in