Laoghaire's Whisky Sour from Outlander

Laoghaire's Whisky Sour

"It's true!"  She whirled toward Jamie, fists clenched against the cloak she still wore.  "It's true!  It's the Sassenach witch!  How could ye do such a thing to me, Jamie Fraser?"

"Be still, Laoghaire!"  he snapped.  "I've done nothing to ye!"

I sat up against the wall, clutching the quilt to my bosom and staring.  It was only when he spoke her name that I recognized her.  Twenty-odd years, ago, Laoghaire MacKenzie had been a slender sixteen-year-old, with rose-petal skin, moonbeam hair and a violent -- and unrequited -- passion for Jamie Fraser.  Evidently, a few things had changed.

She was nearing forty and no longer slender, having thickened considerably.  The skin was still fair, but weathered, and stretched plumply over cheeks flushed with anger.  Strands of ashy hair straggled out from under her respectable white kertch.  The pale blue eyes were the same, though -- they turned on me again, with the same expression of hatred I had seen in them long ago.

"He's mine!" she hissed.  She stamped her foot.  "Get ye back to the hell that ye came from, and leave him to me!  Go, I say!"

Voyager (Chapter 34 - Daddy)

==

"He said that he could not bear it longer -- to dwell in the same house with me, to share my bed."  She spoke calmly, as though reciting a piece she had learned by heart, her eyes still fixed on the empty spot where the pearls had rested.

"So he left.  And then he came back -- with the witch.  Flaunted her in my face; bedded her under my nose."  Slowly, she raised her eyes to Brianna's studying her with quiet intensity, searching out the mysteries of her face.  Slowly, she nodded.

"It was she," she said, with a certainly that was faintly eerie in its calmness.  "She cast her spells on him from the day she came to Leoch -- and on me.  She made me invisible.  From the day she came, he could not see me."

Brianna felt a small shiver run up her spine, despite the hissing peat fire on the hearth.

"And then she was gone.  Dead, they said.  Killed in the rising.  And him come home again from England, free at long last."  She shook her head very slightly; her eyes still rested on Brianna's face, but Brianna knew Laoghaire didn't see her any longer.

"But she wasna dead at all," Laoghaire said softly.  "And he was not free.  I knew that; I always knew that.  Ye canna kill a witch with steel -- they must burn."

Drums of Autumn (Chapter 34 - Lallybroch)

whisky-sour

And somewhere in between, Outlander's very own Bitter Betty shoots our hero with his own pistol.  Not like JAMMF to be caught unawares like that, now is it?

Thankfully for him, Number One Wifey has a few ampules in her arsenal, and so he lives to see another day.

As for Leghair, that woman really needs a drink.  Or ten.  This icy-sweet whisky cocktail with a sour twist kind of suits her -- after all, years before she was a raving b*tch at Lallybroch, she must have had lips of honey in that alcove at Leoch...

whisky-sour-mix

I have no doubt that there's at least a score of Scotsmen, somewhere, banging their heads against their screens at the sight of 16 YO Lagavulin, one of Scotland's finest single malts, in a mixed drink.  And, if not for the fact that it was all we had on the shelf, I would generally agree.

But because I did use it, I found out how much you can change the nature of a whisky cocktail simply by your choice of scotch.  And although I wouldn't do this everyday, I really enjoyed the lingering flavour of Lagavulin's peat as it mixed with the lemon and honey.  Refreshing and soothing all at once.

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

26 Jun 2012 - 10:53am

Denise Twist

I admit to being a tiny staggered at the sight of 16 year old scotch used in a cocktail but I bet it was utterly delicious! Is it just me or is Laoghaire a character to be pitied? Even though she is as nasty as can be I always feel badly for her and never more so than when she is with her crippled man (can't recall his name) because he needs her. She just wants to be needed and loved and she could never get to that part of Jamie.nnThank goodness - that's Claire's part!

Theresa

Denise,nnIt was soooo good! But by no means an everyday drink...Laoghaire definitely deserves a little pity, but I find it hard to linger on sympathetic thoughts when I remember her manipulations as a teenager. I wonder what the Scottish word is for karma? ;)

26 Jun 2012 - 12:09pm

OutlanderFan

I just realized- I've had a whiskey sour before- and I liked it! There's hope for me yet lol! nAnd I have to agree, this drink is aptly named for Leghair Bitchface lol!

Theresa

Good news, Jenn! Start with what you like and know, and move on from there! Theresa

26 Jun 2012 - 12:44pm

Aaron Brown

One of my favorite Whiskey drinks! It's also the one we use around here when someone is coming down with a cold. Make you feel better in no time. I want to feel sad for Leghair, she did get the bad end of the stick, but I just can't ....dang her she shot Jamie.

Theresa

Medicinal whisky is my kind of whisky! When I think of Leghair, I have to say it's a pretty short pity party...you reap what you sow, and 16 year-olds shouldn't go around wishing ill of others. It may come back to haunt them in their later life. ;)

26 Jun 2012 - 1:26pm

Lee Ann

Love this :)

26 Jun 2012 - 3:02pm

The Mom Chef

I have to admit, I wouldn't know 16 year-old Scotch from 6 day-old Scotch. I'm not a fan of either straight-up. I do liked mixed drinks though and have downed a whiskey sour (or two). You've picked a drink that fits Laoghaire perfectly. Unlike Denise, I don't pity the woman. We make our fate. When she lost Jamie, she could have moved on without using and hurting people. Sour fits her. Well done!

26 Jun 2012 - 6:21pm

RavieNomNoms

I love the new look of you blog!! Fantastical!nnThis is my mom's absolute favorite drink!

03 Jul 2012 - 1:05am

deniz

Sounds yummy! I haven't tried Lagavulin yet, though, so I'll have it neat first. I can't wait!

23 Aug 2012 - 6:59am

Anna Sthl

I had never tasted a drink mixed with wiskey before, but I have made it to times by now and it has become a favorite. My guests have loved it as well =)

06 Sep 2012 - 9:31pm

Martha Gregory

Heated up, come winter time, would make a lovely toddie. Good for sore throats and nasty colds.

Linda Pitchford

That was the one big perk about being sick at my grandparents house--we always got a nice hot toddie! I doubt my Grandpa made them with 16 yr old Lagavulin, but he would've enjoyed this recipe, hot or cold!

06 Aug 2014 - 3:20pm

How to Throw …

We didnt have the courage to try making Cherry Bounce, so Jenna whipped up some seriously dangerously delicious drinks using a recipe aptly named for a less-sympathetic character in the book: Laoghairs Whisky Sour.

09 Dec 2014 - 1:00pm

Dundee Cake f…

I must have a bit of Queen Mary in me, because glace cherries have always kind of freaked me out. Same with store-bought candied peel. I used this recipe to easily make my own peel the day before I made this cake. (And the resulting leftover citrus simple syrup makes the BEST Whisky Sours.)

30 Dec 2014 - 1:26am

Pat Nichols

Your comment about the Scots-man banging his head against the screen due to the use of 16 y.o. Lagavulin in a mixed drink made me burst out in giggles. I love good Scotch, so I "get" that. Must try this drink. Love your posts & what you do, which includes lovely photos. New Year's Happy Wishes & Greetings from Victoria, BC.

26 Aug 2015 - 12:48am

Katherine Cooke

A whisk(e)y sour is a classic Southern US drink. You can make them on the rocks or frozen. While on vacation with my folks last week I made several batches of frozen using Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Rye Whiskey. It's delicious straight up as well! How we wing it at the beach: throw a bunch of ice in the blender. Squeeze 3-5 lemons over the ice, depending on how much ice is in there and how many people want drinks. Pour in a little OJ. Blend it as best as the poor ancient blender can do! Add some sugar or honey to taste. THEN add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of whisk(e)y or bourbon to taste and desired strength of cocktail. Blend it up one more time. This will help any last chunks of ice to properly mash up. Pour out into whatever cups are available, garnish with orange slice, and enjoy!

26 Aug 2015 - 4:18am

Theresa Kiihn

Theresa, You are one fine chef, but you are also one hell of a writer. You choose just the right words and excerpts, crafting them into the perfect sentences and paragraphs, and then matching them to the perfect recipe. I'm envious and thankful for your skill! And now, thanks to you, I can admit to my indulgence of occasionally using a $65 bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'or whisky in place of my usual Two Gingers whiskey in making a special cocktail using Crabbies Ginger Beer. There's nothing better. Yum!

19 Jan 2016 - 12:35am

Rhonda

First time trying this and I love it! Made one change though: Instead of a citrus twist on top, I grated lemon zest all over the top, so that with every sip you taste the zest as well. Oh my gosh, it's so good. Beautiful flavors. Definitely a keeper, thank you.

Add new comment

You might also be interested in