Chicken Wings Provençal for Outlander on Starz S2E3

Master Raymond's Frogs Legs - Chicken Wings Provençal S2E3

For Master Raymond resembled nothing so, much as a large, genial frog. A touch over four feet tall, barrel-chested and bandy-legged, he had the thick, clammy skin of a swamp dweller, and slightly bulbous, friendly black eyes. Aside from the minor fact that he wasn’t green, all he lacked was warts.

"Madonna!” he said, beaming expansively. “What may I have the pleasure of doing for you?” He lacked teeth altogether, enhancing the froggy impression still more, and I stared at him in fascination.

"Madonna?” he said, peering up at me questioningly.

Snapped abruptly to a realization of how rudely I had been staring, I blushed and said without thinking, “I was just wondering whether you’d ever been kissed by a beautiful young girl.” I went still redder as he shouted with laughter. With a broad grin, he said “Many times, madonna. But alas, it does not help. As you see. Ribbit.”

Dragonfly in Amber, chapter 8, "Unlaid Ghosts and Crocodiles"

Master Raymond

Inspired casting that had this Outlander smiling like a loon for every second of Master Raymond's first appearance in episode 2! Master Raymond has been my favourite minor character since my first reading of Outlander over a dozen years ago, and I can't wait to see more from the great Dominique Pinon.

Consider my passion for Master Grenouille if you think this recipe is a bit of a stretch - I expect it will require an amphibian-sized leap of faith from some - I attempted to find some frogs' legs so I could do THE REAL THING, but, alas, I came up legless.

I doubt many of you will mourn the lack of legs, and I'm pretty sure most will agree that a big plate of chicken wings is tasty fodder for TV viewing. I've taken a classic receipt for frogs' legs from Provence using butter, garlic, lemon, and parsley, and morphed it into an easy, and spectacularly delicious, wing recipe.

No dip required.

Chicken Wings Provençal

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

20 Apr 2016 - 12:45am

Katherine

Please, please tell me that you are doing a book tour! I think I need your John Hancock on my cookbook. Had it pre-ordered since the day you announced it available on Amazon. Northwest Missouri is charming...

Theresa

Aww, thank you! No official tour, although we have some exciting announcements coming soon.

18 Apr 2016 - 5:48pm

Kate McDermott

I'm not sure if I can find frogs legs at my local market so thank you for the option of chicken wings. I will make these for lunch today!

18 Apr 2016 - 5:56pm

Erinyes

These sound yumm! Would they work on the bar-b-q? (one of those ceramic egg shaped do-dads that are great for both low and slow or high and fast!)

Theresa

Erin -- they're insanely delicious! These need to be cooked in a pan, otherwise the butter will drip through the BBQ grates. You could certainly do them in a pan on the BBQ...

18 Apr 2016 - 7:14pm

ms.yoshimi

Oh yummy thanks so much! Will make this for my next women's pot luck!

18 Apr 2016 - 7:19pm

Bullrem

I have some wings in the freezer just buzzing around in there craving to be used in this recipe. They cannot wait to get the flock out of there.... Haa haa

18 Apr 2016 - 7:53pm

Betsy Eyrich

They sound delicious, but I'm wondering - is there garlic in the recipe?

Theresa

I missed it in the ingredients, didn't I? Oops. Fixing now. LOL

Theresa

Thanks Betsy! I can't believe I left it out of the recipe completely. Bad Chef! :)

18 Apr 2016 - 9:16pm

Sue Gaebler

You might explain what you mean by split (the chicken wings) There might be some new or inexperienced cooks. I love that you usually give such good directions on preparation. Can't wait until your cookbook arrives. This is going to be what I bring to the Father's day lunch at my DIL's. Of course I'll have to try it out several time before then. :)

Theresa

As you say, my directions are generally pretty clear. And while I like to give lots of information, I've found over the last 5 years of doing this that there is a line where it becomes overkill. I trust everyone to use Google when necessary. Enjoy the wings!

19 Apr 2016 - 11:06pm

Robin

Love this recipe and the character. He was cast perfectly. I think I'll make them to eat when we are watching this weeks episode. Thanks for the inspirational recipe. I m going to try to find real frog legs. I'll let you know how it tu s out.

Add new comment

You might also be interested in