Pissaladiere for OUtlander on Starz

Pissaladière - Outlander on Starz S2E6

Bonjour!

I'm back after a week's break, and I think you're going to like what I'm bringing to the Episode 6 party...

carmelized onions

Pissaladière is a dish from Provence, in southern France. The origins of the dish are a little hazy, but it is thought to have been created by the Roman cooks brought to Avignon to serve under the Avignon Papacy, a period from 1309 to 1377, during which seven successive popes resided in Avignon (in modern Provence) instead of Rome. These cooks adapted their Italian cooking styles to a whole new set of local French ingredients, including the pissalat, meaning salted fish.

Traditionally, the crust of a pissaladière is made from a dough similar to pizza, but the first version I ever tasted, made by my French Chef Instructor at culinary school, was a quick snack made from puff pastry. The buttery, flaky crust pairs beautifully with the sweet silkiness of the onions and the saltiness of the anchovies, even if you do have to go outside to brush off your sweater after every piece.

And if my mention of anchovies just scared the bejesus out of you, never fear. There's a non-anchovy option in the notes. (Dinna fash, I've got your back.)

Pissaladière

Show/Hide Comments

Comments

09 May 2016 - 6:57pm

Arkay

Mmm, another delicious way to eat more capers.

09 May 2016 - 7:35pm

Lucia D'Angelo

This sounds delicious, but then again, I may have thought or said that for each of your recipes. The visual of decrumbing a sweater each time made me laugh. Thanks again Theresa! BTW, I'm in the Anchovy camp but my try asparagus for a meatless version.

09 May 2016 - 8:11pm

Carol

YUM! I hope Chef Jose Andres reads your blog......... He needs to do this dish (if he hasn't already)

09 May 2016 - 8:22pm

Jan Anderson

Oooooooooo, this looks great! I'm going to cook them on the pizza stone in the outdoor oven to get that extra bit of smoky awesomeness too to go with the salt of the wee fishes!! Can't wait! Mmmmmm

09 May 2016 - 9:46pm

Anna Lapping

I'll probably do mostly capers with a few bits of anchovies in the pattern, and maybe some roasted red peppers for color. Nice one to try in the new pizza oven (which isn't done yet, but promised for this summer).

09 May 2016 - 11:04pm

ms.yoshimi

I love anchovies! Can't wait to try this! Wonderful that you took some time off!

11 May 2016 - 3:20am

Bullrem

Sounds yummy.

22 May 2016 - 9:15pm

Linn Kristin

Definitely gonna try this! Good you mentioned the non anchovies option in the beginning ? It almost scared me away, but you pulled me back in fast! ?

28 May 2016 - 5:15pm

D. Chattin

Great site but still not able to find link to order the cookbook or preorder it.

Theresa

You'll find pre-order links to a number of online retailers here: http://outlanderkitchen.com/about-outlander-kitchen/

Add new comment

You might also be interested in